Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Post-match Thread: Charlton Athletic v Hull City | Sun 9th May 2021

Comments

• Options
    mendonca said:
    It's clear that Maatsen and Millar have loan contract clause to play or the fee increases. We needed Purrington's solidity at the back and it meant Maatsen was pushed further up. He did fine for me barring the last 2 games in that role. But don't forget DJ was injured and he was asked to fill the 'pacy player' role.
    Maatsen played there, partly, because there was no serious other option.  Poorly balanced squad. 
  • Options
    It depends what you class as bang average. I have always added three words when commenting on the strength of the squad, 'for the level'. For the level we were a comfortable top six squad that was poorly managed. Yes, there were weaknesses in it, one of which, a centre half in January, could have addressed, despite what Bowyer said. It didn't have to be a player better than the injured ones, just be a better centre half than Pratley who dives in too much for a centre half. You can get away with it for the odd game but not a number of games.
    But would you have preferred a centre half or Stockley? 
    We also do not know what the medical team were saying about their return to the squad.

I disagree completely that we were a top six squad though. If we were we would not have had to find centre halves and a striker in January. January should hopefully be about a little freshen up for the run in, not a re-build of the defence.

I agree you can’t get away with weaknesses and said as much above.

I know you blame Bowyer for everything, but out of interest, how do the results of the two managers compare when looking at just the results when both Inniss and Famewo were playing?
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Redrobo said:
    Bowyer was too bothered about his career going down the pan and reacted in the way Bowyer the player did when things didn't go his way. Morale dropped and with it confidence and when that goes, mistakes creep in.

For the level, we had a good squad and Adkins has proven that with us finishing on 74 points, which was a good return from the point he took over. And in any other season over the last 10 years, it gets you a play off place. We have only lost one game under him and in that we missed a pen against a top two side we pretty much matched. We were the better side against the Champions and beat Lincoln comfortably.

There have been a couple of downs, but they were draws against Accrington and Crewe.  
    If we had such a good squad why did we miss Inniss and Famewo so much and why was Adkins playing a left back up front?
    The only players that everyone seems to agree should definitely be here next year are Inniss, Famewo and Stockley. That does not suggest a good squad to me. Sounds like a bang average squad that has performed well to get to seventh.
    Personally I would add Gilbey, Millar and Morgan, but hey ho.
    Mate, he walked out on you.  You don't need to defend him any more. 

The results and performances from Gillingham away on the 21st of November to Blackpool at home on the 27th of February were inexcusable.  Famewo and Inniss not being available included. 

I can't believe it's even still being discussed. You either find a way of dealing with it or you buy a center back.   You find a way of keeping a clean sheet.   Play 6 at the back, with 3 holding, if that's what it takes. 

Bowyer turned it round come the start of March, it was just months to late. 

I honestly don't think any half decent manager, in the right frame of mind, wouldn't be capable of stop letting 2 in every home game, with the players we had. 

What ever went on behind the scenes was a failure of management.  Sorry but Bowyer, as the manager, has to shoulder the blame.  Even if it wasn't, directly, his fault. 

Our run from the 4-2 away defeat to Burton up to the 3-0 home defeat to Blackpool was dire - this killed our season and we still nearly made the playoffs. 
  • Options
    Redrobo said:
    It depends what you class as bang average. I have always added three words when commenting on the strength of the squad, 'for the level'. For the level we were a comfortable top six squad that was poorly managed. Yes, there were weaknesses in it, one of which, a centre half in January, could have addressed, despite what Bowyer said. It didn't have to be a player better than the injured ones, just be a better centre half than Pratley who dives in too much for a centre half. You can get away with it for the odd game but not a number of games.
    We also do not know what the medical team were saying about their return to the squad.

I disagree completely that we were a top six squad though. If we were we would not have had to find centre halves and a striker in January. January should hopefully be about a little freshen up for the run in, not a re-build of the defence.

I know you blame Bowyer for everything, but out of interest, how do the results of the two managers compare when looking at just the results when both Inniss and Famewo were playing?
    I would have preferred a center half over Smith or Schwartz, but you be selective.

Adkins hasn't had to find away of playing without Inniss and Famewo, but seemed to do well enough with one or the other. 

If a football manager is so reliant on 2 players and they are both injured, he has to either find away round it or sign a replacement. No ifs, no buts.

Hide behind the medical team but Bowyer would make 5ish changes a game.  Adkins, who was a physio, doesn't.  You do the math. 
  • Options
    No point in going over the past. What is done is done. Excited for the coming years now. That's all that counts now. We should be thanking our lucky stars we have hopefully got a future as a club that is on the rise. After the last few years particularly the Mouthall period we must be one of the luckiest clubs in existence 
  • Options
    ozaddick said:
    ozaddick said:
    Did Burton really give a debut to their back up keeper who'd been on loan to a non league team this season? 

Yeah this bloke, although he's on loan from QPR and hasnt been on loan to Non-League this season, but started his career down there and had a few other loans to the likes of Welling

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dillon_Barnes
    The BBC thread said he fumbled a weak freekick into his own goal and was chipped from outside the box for another. 
    That's Jimmy Floyd Hasselwank at large.

He played for us like he hated us - why would that change now.

• Options
    I said earlier. He needs to go into the little red book. 
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Redrobo said:

I would have preferred a center half over Smith or Schwartz, but you be selective.

Adkins hasn't had to find away of playing without Inniss and Famewo, but seemed to do well enough with one or the other. 

If a football manager is so reliant on 2 players and they are both injured, he has to either find away round it or sign a replacement. No ifs, no buts.

Hide behind the medical team but Bowyer would make 5ish changes a game.  Adkins, who was a physio, doesn't.  You do the math. 

The discussion was about if this was a good squad or an average one and by the way Schwartz wasn’t bought in January.
    I would have liked a centre half over Smith but we were told by SG that there wasn’t a suitable candidate out there. You talk as if you know there was. Out of interest who was it?

Who is hiding behind a medical team? Adkins has had a virtually full squad and even though he was a physio Chucks is still unable to play more than half a game. Because we have basically a full team we have been on a good run. As I said at the start, most league 1 first teams can give any other team a good game. It is when you get injuries and suspension you find out that the squad isn’t good enough.
    Glad you agree with me.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited May 2021
    When you make the point early, of course it is controversial and more people question it. When your point gets substantiated over time, fewer and fewer question it. But there are always a few. Bowyer could always have proved those making the point early wrong, but he didn't. The squad could have proved those blaming them for it all right, but they didn't. Unless automatic promotion form doesn't prove anything. But still there are a few. 
  • Options
    Redrobo said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Redrobo said:

The discussion was about if this was a good squad or an average one and by the way Schwartz wasn’t bought in January.
    I would have liked a centre half over Smith but we were told by SG that there wasn’t a suitable candidate out there. You talk as if you know there was. Out of interest who was it?

Who is hiding behind a medical team? Adkins has had a virtually full squad and even though he was a physio Chucks is still unable to play more than half a game. Because we have basically a full team we have been on a good run. As I said at the start, most league 1 first teams can give any other team a good game. It is when you get injuries and suspension you find out that the squad isn’t good enough.
    Glad you agree with me.
    When was Schwartz bought then October? Was he under witness protection for 3 months?  Although he might as well still be.

If you don't think there was a better center half (than Oshilaja, Pratley and Gunter) available and you think we have money to spend you keep drinking the kool aid.  It's not my job to find them.

I am not talking about Chuks, we are all aware of his problems, we are talking the rest of the squad.  Bowyer made 3, 4 some times 5 changes almost ever game.  Adkins dose not. Why, it the same players?

If you still can't see, despite all the actual evidence, we under performed for nearly 4 whole months, you never will.  I honestly hope that ignorance is truly bliss, because I a still fuming. 
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Redrobo said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Redrobo said:

Glad you agree with me.
    When was Schwartz bought then October? Was he under witness protection for 3 months?  Although he might as well still be.

If you don't think there was a better center half (than Oshilaja, Pratley and Gunter) available and you think we have money to spend you keep drinking the kool aid.  It's not my job to find them.

I am not talking about Chuks, we are all aware of his problems, we are talking the rest of the squad.  Bowyer made 3, 4 some times 5 changes almost ever game.  Adkins dose not. Why, it the same players?

If you still can't see, despite all the actual evidence, we under performed for nearly 4 whole months, you never will.  I honestly hope that ignorance is truly bliss, because I a still fuming. 
    I am totally unaware of Chucks problem. Please do tell. All I know is that we had a great striker who could only play for 20 mins. A weakness in the squad. Without him we didn’t have good enough strikers in the squad. 
    Can you also please explain what Bowyer did or not do has to do with the discussion as to if the squad was good enough. You seem to be having an argument with yourself.

I have no idea if there was a better CH about, it ain’t my job either. The bloke whose job is it say NO. But obviously you think SG was wrong or incompetent. But the fact you think we should have bought one in would suggest you agree with me that the squad wasn’t good enough. Yes?

• Options
    Redrobo said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Redrobo said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Redrobo said:

Glad you agree with me.

I am totally unaware of Chucks problem. Please do tell. All I know is that we had a great striker who could only play for 20 mins. A weakness in the squad. Without him we didn’t have good enough strikers in the squad. 
    Can you also please explain what Bowyer did or not do has to do with the discussion as to if the squad was good enough. You seem to be having an argument with yourself.

I have no idea if there was a better CH about, it ain’t my job either. The bloke whose job is it say NO. But obviously you think SG was wrong or incompetent. But the fact you think we should have bought one in would suggest you agree with me that the squad wasn’t good enough. Yes?

No.  Bye. 
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Redrobo said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Redrobo said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Redrobo said:

Glad you agree with me.

No.  Bye. 
    Ha, gotta laugh. Just read your comments on the rumour thread. So you do agree 😂
  • Options
    I'd rather the season be over now, than fail in the playoffs. I had a horrible feeling that we'd finally get done by Sunderland In the playoffs.
    Now we have time to plan ahead for next season and automatic promotion should be our aim.
    Holding on to Stockley and Millar should be our first priority.
  • Options
    I'm totally unaware why Chuks Aneke is able to be Included in 36 match day squads as well but he has a problem which means he can only play between 10 and 45 minutes a game. 15 League goals is a great return.

From now on players will just be indisposed as in 2021 confidentiality rules OK.
  • Options
    Redrobo said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Redrobo said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Redrobo said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Redrobo said:

Glad you agree with me.

No.  Bye. 
    Ha, gotta laugh. Just read your comments on the rumour thread. So you do agree 😂
    So have I and no, I still don't.  You either cope with the hand your delt, or change your hand. Doing neither is neglect.

Where was Schwartz BTW if we didn't sign him in January, you can't answer that can you, because you don't fucking know. 

That squad was good enough to get in the play offs, and that is a fact.  We missed out on GD despite 4 months of being absolutely shit.  That's a fact.

You can argue the squad wasn't good enough all you like, but your wrong.  The team managment from November to March is why we weren't in the play offs.

What ever happened behind close doors, neither of us do know what happened, do we? Is the cause of us missing out. Did Bowyer lose the dressing room, did some of the players stop playing, did the squad split into pro Bowyer and agin Bowyer?   

I haven't got a clue, neither have you.  We signed 3 or 4 players in October that had left by February.  That says something was wrong. 
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    mendonca said:
    It's clear that Maatsen and Millar have loan contract clause to play or the fee increases. We needed Purrington's solidity at the back and it meant Maatsen was pushed further up. He did fine for me barring the last 2 games in that role. But don't forget DJ was injured and he was asked to fill the 'pacy player' role.
    Maatsen played there, partly, because there was no serious other option.  Poorly balanced squad. 
    Agreed

Not enough pacey wingers, too many central midfielders, no 4th choice CB that Bowyer trusted

But we have plenty of players, when you consider Schwartz, Smith and Oshilaja have vanished, Shinnie has barely featured even on the bench while, Morgan hasn't featured that regularly, and we haven't played any kids since the autumn.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    If we take a step back and think about it, we outplayed the best team in the League. 
    Who didn't need a result and looked like they had a couple or 3 gears they could go up.
    We played well, deserved the win but let's not go nuts
  • Options
    ozaddick said:
    ozaddick said:
    Did Burton really give a debut to their back up keeper who'd been on loan to a non league team this season? 

Yeah this bloke, although he's on loan from QPR and hasnt been on loan to Non-League this season, but started his career down there and had a few other loans to the likes of Welling

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dillon_Barnes
    The BBC thread said he fumbled a weak freekick into his own goal and was chipped from outside the box for another. 
    That's Jimmy Floyd Hasselwank at large.

He played for us like he hated us - why would that change now.

Just saw the lob outside the box, that was a superb goal. The keeper royally fucked up for the third one though 
  • Options
    Amazing stat on Charlton Live. Thanks @LouisMend

We won eight games at home all season, equalling the number of home wins from the previous season in the league above.

Even more bizarre, in only two home games did we lead at half time. Those two games were Oxford (2-0) and Crewe (1-0).
  • Options
    Charlton goal difference split home & away, first half & second half:

First half @ home: -10
    Second half @ home: +9

First half away: +11
    Second half away: +4
  • Options
    Half time scores at the Valley this season:

Charlton 0-1 Doncaster
    Charlton 0-0 Sunderland
    Charlton 0-0 Wigan
    Charlton 2-0 Oxford
    Charlton 2-2 Fleetwood
    Charlton 0-0 MK Dons
    Charlton 1-2 Wimbledon
    Charlton 1-2 Plymouth
    Charlton 0-1 Accrington
    Charlton 2-4 Rochdale
    Charlton 0-2 Swindon
    Charlton 0-1 Portsmouth
    Charlton 1-2 Gillingham
    Charlton 1-1 Burton
    Charlton 0-2 Blackpool
    Charlton 0-0 Northampton
    Charlton 0-0 Shrewsbury
    Charlton 2-2 Bristol Rovers
    Charlton 0-0 Ipswich
    Charlton 0-1 Peterborough
    Charlton 1-0 Crewe
    Charlton 0-0 Lincoln
    Charlton 0-0 Hull
  • Options
    On the positive side folks this may turn out to be a blessing in disguise for us.

The truth is that this current team are nowhere near the Lee Bowyer Play Off winning team of 2018/19.

How many of these players would get into that side? Maybe Inniss for Pearce, Maatsen for Purrington and Millar for Pratley.

If you look back at that side you’d pick the following team....

Philips

Djiksteel - Inniss - Bauer - Maatsen

Cullen - Bielek - Aribo - Millar

Taylor - Grant

Remembering, of course, that Maatsen and Millar are not our players.

I think the job for Adkins is to build a squad that can not only win this league but also be the foundation for a Championship team.

If we went up this season it may just be one season too soon and we’d have to patch together a squad to battle for Championship survival which would be very tough to do.
  • Options
    Should'a, Could'a, Would'a.
    Hindsight is such a wonderful thing, eh?
    Looking forward with excitement now.
    (And I just know they are going to do my head in).  :)
  • Options
    if only loyal Lee Bowyer had stayed but no he repaid some fans and the owners loyalty by deserting us 

• Options
    Chunes said:
    All the hogwash of oh we’ll be 6th and let in a last minute or someone else will score late on to rump us was never gonna happen cos Pompey or Oxford would cruise it and unfortunately that happened .
    2 wins against two good teams who had nothing to really play for means we took it to the wire .
    Ive said for the majority of the season we had a squad good enough to make the play offs it’s just a shame it never happened.
    The loyal one deserting us gives us a better chance next season .

Next season:

16%    Top two

75%      3rd-6th

9%       7th-12th 
    How are you giving percentages for next season... we don't even know what the squad is
    How dare you question the wisdom of @oohaahmortimer. He can see the future.