Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Post-match Thread: Charlton Athletic v Hull City | Sun 9th May 2021

Comments

• Options
    edited May 2021
    Chunes said:
    All the hogwash of oh we’ll be 6th and let in a last minute or someone else will score late on to rump us was never gonna happen cos Pompey or Oxford would cruise it and unfortunately that happened .
    2 wins against two good teams who had nothing to really play for means we took it to the wire .
    Ive said for the majority of the season we had a squad good enough to make the play offs it’s just a shame it never happened.
    The loyal one deserting us gives us a better chance next season .

Next season:

16%    Top two

75%      3rd-6th

9%       7th-12th 
    How are you giving percentages for next season... we don't even know what the squad is
    How dare you question the wisdom of @oohaahmortimer. He can see the future.
    I've been a loyal follower of Great Ooh Aah's Mystical Percentages since their beginning, but he's just lost a paying subscriber.
  • Options
    RedJohn said:
    I think I have read quotes on here stating that NA wants to bring the average age down as just posted also needs 5 or 6 very athletic players playing with good footballing skills and a star player to make the crowd excited, can anyone post anything remotely close to this please, as i seem to have missed all this, hopefully its true.
    @RedJohn, those are quotes from the Adkins Q&A with CAST in midweek, although I think that was about the balance of players he'd like to see in the team rather than they'd all need to be new signings necessarily.
  • Options
    On the positive side folks this may turn out to be a blessing in disguise for us.

The truth is that this current team are nowhere near the Lee Bowyer Play Off winning team of 2018/19.

How many of these players would get into that side? Maybe Inniss for Pearce, Maatsen for Purrington and Millar for Pratley.

If you look back at that side you’d pick the following team....

Philips

Djiksteel - Inniss - Bauer - Maatsen

Cullen - Bielek - Aribo - Millar

Taylor - Grant

Remembering, of course, that Maatsen and Millar are not our players.

I think the job for Adkins is to build a squad that can not only win this league but also be the foundation for a Championship team.

If we went up this season it may just be one season too soon and we’d have to patch together a squad to battle for Championship survival which would be very tough to do.
    Hundred per cent,no way is the present squad near championship standard,or remotely as good as the last promotion side.Of course we would all have liked a couple of weeks more arse tightening tension,but now the rebuilding begins this week,with plenty of time to get a settled squad to win this league.
    Our displays in the last two home games showed what could have been,but it was still a case of papering over the cracks.
  • Options
    On the positive side folks this may turn out to be a blessing in disguise for us.

The truth is that this current team are nowhere near the Lee Bowyer Play Off winning team of 2018/19.

How many of these players would get into that side? Maybe Inniss for Pearce, Maatsen for Purrington and Millar for Pratley.

If you look back at that side you’d pick the following team....

Philips

Djiksteel - Inniss - Bauer - Maatsen

Cullen - Bielek - Aribo - Millar

Taylor - Grant

Remembering, of course, that Maatsen and Millar are not our players.

I think the job for Adkins is to build a squad that can not only win this league but also be the foundation for a Championship team.

If we went up this season it may just be one season too soon and we’d have to patch together a squad to battle for Championship survival which would be very tough to do.
    Hundred per cent,no way is the present squad near championship standard,or remotely as good as the last promotion side.Of course we would all have liked a couple of weeks more arse tightening tension,but now the rebuilding begins this week,with plenty of time to get a settled squad to win this league.
    Our displays in the last two home games showed what could have been,but it was still a case of papering over the cracks.
    Adkins nearly managed to get our current squad into the playoffs so just imagine what he would have done with the previous one.

I do believe Adkins has far more strategy than Bowyer and more of an idea of how he wants football to be played. We looked utterly clueless at times under Bowyer towards the end.
  • Options
    ozaddick said:
    Did Burton really give a debut to their back up keeper who'd been on loan to a non league team this season? 

Yeah this bloke, although he's on loan from QPR and hasnt been on loan to Non-League this season, but started his career down there and had a few other loans to the likes of Welling

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dillon_Barnes

I'm surprised so many fans fail to question the Oxford result, _"its a funny old game" explains a lot , in fact it papers over the bleeding' obvious.....I think Burton  should be hauled into EFL HQ tomorrow a.m. for explanations.

Watch the highlights-questionable goalkeeping on 2 goals , one howler and last one unstoppable..
     They have 4 GK's,  one has 17 appearances and the other 28 this season , both seem to be fit. One injured. The  One with no appearances this season is chosen.

I'm not blaming the player. Why was he picked?

• Options
    ozaddick said:
    Did Burton really give a debut to their back up keeper who'd been on loan to a non league team this season? 

Yeah this bloke, although he's on loan from QPR and hasnt been on loan to Non-League this season, but started his career down there and had a few other loans to the likes of Welling

I'm surprised so many fans fail to question the Oxford result, _"its a funny old game" explains a lot , in fact it papers over the bleeding' obvious.....I think Burton  should be hauled into EFL HQ tomorrow a.m. for explanations.

Watch the highlights-questionable goalkeeping on 2 goals , one howler and last one unstoppable..
     They have 4 GK's,  one has 17 appearances and the other 28 this season , both seem to be fit. One injured. The  One with no appearances this season is chosen.

I think you're clutching at straws here - the free kick was a massive howler but I don't think another keeper would have made any difference to the result.

JFH decided to give him a start and he had a bad game. I doubt he would have started if Burton had more to play for.
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    ozaddick said:

I'm with you. I think it was a dereliction of responsibility to the rest of the league. Teams were fighting it out for a play-off place and JFH decides to play a goalkeeper with absolutely no experience. But he showed us no respect when he was here, either. 
  • Options
    Apparently Hasselbaink had this to say after the game: “You need to find a different edge for these games. In a way, sometimes it’s good to lose and today was a good day to lose and put things into perspective.”

Anyone else care to join me behind the away dugout next season? I may add swanee whistles and a kazoo to the volley of raspberries...  
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    ozaddick said:

I'm with you. I think it was a dereliction of responsibility to the rest of the league. Teams were fighting it out for a play-off place and JFH decides to play a goalkeeper with absolutely no experience. But he showed us no respect when he was here, either. 
    Sorry but I disagree. Burton/JFH owe us/other teams absolutely nothing. If we didn't go up/get play offs it's because over the course of the whole season we didn't deserve it, not because another team played a rookie keeper for a dead rubber match.

Not to say he's not an arsehole mind you!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    ozaddick said:

I think you're clutching at straws here - the free kick was a massive howler but I don't think another keeper would have made any difference to the result.

JFH decided to give him a start and he had a bad game. I doubt he would have started if Burton had more to play for.
    "I doubt he would have started if Burton had more to play for"- yes agreed. I'm clutching at  straws as thats the difference between 2 teams after 46 games - a few damn straws. I'm stuffing my mouth full of them. JFH has done a favour for his mate, to our detriment,its inexplicable as he has shown excellent managerial skills since his arrival at Burton.look at the transformation. Does that matter? after watching those 46 games to me it does.(90 hrs of my life+£460 I won't get back) It does also if you believe teams should progress on merit. Surely there is a requirement to field your best team? Experts please advise me.
  • Options
    ozaddick said:

"I doubt he would have started if Burton had more to play for"- yes agreed. I'm clutching at  straws as thats the difference between 2 teams after 46 games - a few damn straws. I'm stuffing my mouth full of them. JFH has done a favour for his mate, to our detriment,its inexplicable as he has shown excellent managerial skills since his arrival at Burton.look at the transformation. Does that matter? after watching those 46 games to me it does.(90 hrs of my life+£460 I won't get back) It does also if you believe teams should progress on merit. Surely there is a requirement to field your best team? Experts please advise me.
    You mean the same experts that think we should give a run of games to x, y or z because they deserve a chance?

If we were in Burton's position yesterday there would have frenzy of posts demanding we play AMB, such and such from the u23s and Paul Hayes's 12 year old son.

It may have even be suggested we take Ronnie out of his witness protection programme for a run out. 
  • Options
    This season may have helped take people's minds off Covid and all it's pressures. So I'm grateful for that because this time last year there wasn't any football to watch or discuss. In that regard, promotion or otherwise hasn't really mattered to me. Next season is what it's all about; get our teeth into properly following a league campaign......and who knows....a cup run! 
  • Options
    thenewbie said:
    Chunes said:
    ozaddick said:

Sorry but I disagree. Burton/JFH owe us/other teams absolutely nothing. If we didn't go up/get play offs it's because over the course of the whole season we didn't deserve it, not because another team played a rookie keeper for a dead rubber match.

But would you be saying that if we'd just been relegated for the same reason? I think every manager has a duty to the integrity of the league.
  • Options
    Blimey - welcome to Charlton Stoics. 😏

I will vent my spleen on Hasselbaink forevermore if it is all the same to you.  👅   
  • Options
    Pity they didnt play the rookie against us we might have got a point over the two games.
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    thenewbie said:
    Chunes said:
    ozaddick said:

But would you be saying that if we'd just been relegated for the same reason? I think every manager has a duty to the integrity of the league.
    Burton's defeat was not down to the goalkeeper however much you like to pretend it was - this sounds like a conspiracy theory. Barnes was playing for Hibs earlier this year before QPR recalled him so he should be more than capable at L1 level. He simply had a bad game yesterday.

Some people need to move on.
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    ozaddick said:

You mean the same experts that think we should give a run of games to x, y or z because they deserve a chance?

If we were in Burton's position yesterday there would have frenzy of posts demanding we play AMB, such and such from the u23s and Paul Hayes's 12 year old son.

It may have even be suggested we take Ronnie out of his witness protection programme for a run out. 
    When things had gone sideways under Bowyer there was quite a regular tantrum on here from various posters along the lines of 'I hate all the players, just play the kids instead to the end of the season, give them some experience'. I imagine that wouldn't have gone down too well with the teams we'd already played twice
  • Options
    Loved the 'that'll be us next year' comment from Adkins during the interview.  I don't think it was just lip service either, I think he really believes it. The trouble is, I think it'll be a much tougher league next year.

Huge summer ahead. Looking forward to it 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I watched Rangers play Hibs on Boxing Day and remember that the Hibs goalie had a pretty good game - just checked and it turns out that was the keeper who started for Burton yesterday.
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    Chunes said:
    thenewbie said:
    Chunes said:
    ozaddick said:

Burton's defeat was not down to the goalkeeper however much you like to pretend it was - this sounds like a conspiracy theory. Barnes was playing for Hibs earlier this year before QPR recalled him so he should be more than capable at L1 level. He simply had a bad game yesterday.

You seem to have read words I didn't write.
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    We didn't miss out on promotion on GD we missed out on the play offs where there are 4 teams battling out for 1 place.

No Taylor,  Cullen, Aribo, Bielik to use their class which made us favourites last time, once we reached the play offs. Despite only having one striker.

Gift goals conceded, 3 missed penalities, injuries to form players, are all in the mix but for me having a 25 goal striker in Aneke which couldn't come to fruition is the main reason we fell short. 

• Options
    Chunes said:
    Chunes said:
    thenewbie said:
    Chunes said:
    ozaddick said:

I thought you were questioning the integrity of the league?
  • Options
    @soapboxsam, you can't get your head around this Aneke issue/thing/air of opaqueness?  

• Options
    edited May 2021
    Chunes said:
    Chunes said:
    thenewbie said:
    Chunes said:
    ozaddick said:

I thought you were questioning the integrity of the league?
    Teams have been fined for fielding weakened sides. For that very reason. 

Who knows whether the goalkeeper made a difference yesterday, probably didn't decide the whole result and I never had any hope for us sneaking in anyway. But I do believe that managers should respect the integrity of the league by fielding a strong team, especially when others are playing out for places of importance. I don't see why that's controversial, or a 'conspiracy theory'. It's in the rules.
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    thenewbie said:
    Chunes said:
    ozaddick said:

Yes I absolutely WOULD be saying that. Again, if you get relegated it's because over all the games you play, you're not good enough. It's no-one's responsibility but yours.

There were 45 other games you could have got more points in. Don't blame one Burton formation/keeper selection in one game for all of those.

This has NOTHING to do with integrity of the league. Burton don't owe any other team anything.
  • Options
    mendonca said:
    @soapboxsam, you can't get your head around this Aneke issue/thing/air of opaqueness?  

Spot on mendonca, I can't.
    I worded a question in a kind way to Nigel Adkins on CAST which may have yielded some clues about the type of problems Chuks gets if he plays too many minutes but because of many other questions on the same subject, Richard Wiseman asked a general question on Aneke's fitness which Adkins gave the Fifth amendment answer.

Chuks doesn't break down in a match when he comes on so it must be a wear and tear type problem. 

When Bowyer said Chuks was a number 10 I said yes he can play the 10 role but play him as your number 9 and he will hit 25 goals in the Weaker League 1. Once Taylor and Bonne departed the centre forward position was his. I feel as frustrated as Chuks that xxxxx has stopped Aneke proving that.

• Options
    mendonca said:

Spot on mendonca, I can't.
    I worded a question in a kind way to Nigel Adkins on CAST which may have yielded some clues about the type of problems Chuks gets if he plays too many minutes but because of many other questions on the same subject, Richard Wiseman asked a general question on Aneke's fitness which Adkins gave the Fifth amendment answer.

Chuks doesn't break down in a match when he comes on so it must be a wear and tear type problem. 

When Bowyer said Chuks was a number 10 I said yes he can play the 10 role but play him as your number 9 and he will hit 25 goals in the Weaker League 1. Once Taylor and Bonne departed the centre forward position was his. I feel as frustrated as Chuks that xxxxx has stopped Aneke proving that.

I like Chuks as a number 10/2nd striker as well though, as it enables him to drive into the box from slightly deeper positions, and once he gets going he's impossible to stop!

He's not as good in the air as Stockley either.