Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Post-match Thread: Charlton Athletic v Hull City | Sun 9th May 2021

Comments

• Options
    I watched Rangers play Hibs on Boxing Day and remember that the Hibs goalie had a pretty good game - just checked and it turns out that was the keeper who started for Burton yesterday.
    Then you know more than me-  or Scottish Football is worse than L1. I'm no expert.
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    Chunes said:
    Chunes said:
    thenewbie said:
    Chunes said:
    ozaddick said:
    Did Burton really give a debut to their back up keeper who'd been on loan to a non league team this season? 

Yeah this bloke, although he's on loan from QPR and hasnt been on loan to Non-League this season, but started his career down there and had a few other loans to the likes of Welling

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dillon_Barnes

I'm surprised so many fans fail to question the Oxford result, _"its a funny old game" explains a lot , in fact it papers over the bleeding' obvious.....I think Burton  should be hauled into EFL HQ tomorrow a.m. for explanations.

Watch the highlights-questionable goalkeeping on 2 goals , one howler and last one unstoppable..
     They have 4 GK's,  one has 17 appearances and the other 28 this season , both seem to be fit. One injured. The  One with no appearances this season is chosen.

I'm not blaming the player. Why was he picked?

I'm with you. I think it was a dereliction of responsibility to the rest of the league. Teams were fighting it out for a play-off place and JFH decides to play a goalkeeper with absolutely no experience. But he showed us no respect when he was here, either. 
    Sorry but I disagree. Burton/JFH owe us/other teams absolutely nothing. If we didn't go up/get play offs it's because over the course of the whole season we didn't deserve it, not because another team played a rookie keeper for a dead rubber match.

Not to say he's not an arsehole mind you!
    But would you be saying that if we'd just been relegated for the same reason? I think every manager has a duty to the integrity of the league.
    Burton's defeat was not down to the goalkeeper however much you like to pretend it was - this sounds like a conspiracy theory. Barnes was playing for Hibs earlier this year before QPR recalled him so he should be more than capable at L1 level. He simply had a bad game yesterday.

Some people need to move on.
    You seem to have read words I didn't write. 
    I thought you were questioning the integrity of the league?
    Teams have been fined for fielding weakened sides. For that very reason. 

Who knows whether the goalkeeper made a difference yesterday, probably didn't decide the whole result and I never had any hope for us sneaking in anyway. But I do believe that managers should respect the integrity of the league by fielding a strong team, especially when others are playing out for places of importance. I don't see why that's controversial, or a 'conspiracy theory'. It's in the rules.
    He put in goal a perfectly decent keeper who had a bad game. It's not like he put out the U18 side.

If you read my other post you'll have seen that I saw Barnes play for Hibs against Rangers and he had a good game so he's certainly capable of playing at this level.

If you want to look at the integrity of managers then perhaps focus on the PL where weakened sides are regularly fielded - you can certainly argue the case there.

Unless JFH has some secret agenda I'm not sure what the problem is.

If Charlton were in the same position as Burton in the last game of the season I imagine a few fringe players may have got a start - it seems pretty standard.
  • Options
    mendonca said:
    @soapboxsam, you can't get your head around this Aneke issue/thing/air of opaqueness?  

Spot on mendonca, I can't.
    I worded a question in a kind way to Nigel Adkins on CAST which may have yielded some clues about the type of problems Chuks gets if he plays too many minutes but because of many other questions on the same subject, Richard Wiseman asked a general question on Aneke's fitness which Adkins gave the Fifth amendment answer.

Chuks doesn't break down in a match when he comes on so it must be a wear and tear type problem. 

When Bowyer said Chuks was a number 10 I said yes he can play the 10 role but play him as your number 9 and he will hit 25 goals in the Weaker League 1. Once Taylor and Bonne departed the centre forward position was his. I feel as frustrated as Chuks that xxxxx has stopped Aneke proving that.

I like Chuks as a number 10/2nd striker as well though, as it enables him to drive into the box from slightly deeper positions, and once he gets going he's impossible to stop!

He's not as good in the air as Stockley either.

Agree,  you have the option with Stockley, and they can inter change but the great thing about having two strikers whether they are called 9 or 10 is Chuks in an advanced  position nodded down for Jayden to sweep home the ball. They were just yards from each other. Not isolated when Jayden is the loan one up front. Running with the ball is more an ability For CA than JS who will head on or find a pass on the deck ASAP.

Don't care how it looks on paper but having two strikers in the box at home is mandatory in League 1 if not in the Championship 

Washington is a totally different type of striker who runs the channels as well as getting in the box.
  • Options
    The disappointing thing is if we'd scraped into the playoffs I think we would have stood a good chance.

Need to aim for top 2 next season.
    First target is 50 ish points to avoid relegation.

Thats 17 wins or more games used up with draws and defeats.

To go up automatically you really need to avoid relegation at some point in January.

The best working target remains win every home game and draw every away game.

Failure in any home game needs to be compensated for away.
  • Options
    Mr Adkins mentioned the desire for robust players at the Trust Zoom meeting.
    Of course you can’t legislate for the type of shocking bad luck experienced by JFC, but it makes me think that Aneke will be allowed to find another club if he can, and be let go with a cheery goodbye, or allowed to stay on more or less current terms.
    The enigma is Innes as he seems to be as fragile as Aneke.
    Innes may be a monster, but not a robust monster.
    Aneke and Innis if they both stay ought to be regarded as squad players more than as vital starters you build a team round.
    Also in my view Matthews is better than Gunter.
  • Options
    thenewbie said:
    Chunes said:
    thenewbie said:
    Chunes said:
    ozaddick said:
    Did Burton really give a debut to their back up keeper who'd been on loan to a non league team this season? 

Yeah this bloke, although he's on loan from QPR and hasnt been on loan to Non-League this season, but started his career down there and had a few other loans to the likes of Welling

I'm surprised so many fans fail to question the Oxford result, _"its a funny old game" explains a lot , in fact it papers over the bleeding' obvious.....I think Burton  should be hauled into EFL HQ tomorrow a.m. for explanations.

Watch the highlights-questionable goalkeeping on 2 goals , one howler and last one unstoppable..
     They have 4 GK's,  one has 17 appearances and the other 28 this season , both seem to be fit. One injured. The  One with no appearances this season is chosen.

I'm with you. I think it was a dereliction of responsibility to the rest of the league. Teams were fighting it out for a play-off place and JFH decides to play a goalkeeper with absolutely no experience. But he showed us no respect when he was here, either. 
    Sorry but I disagree. Burton/JFH owe us/other teams absolutely nothing. If we didn't go up/get play offs it's because over the course of the whole season we didn't deserve it, not because another team played a rookie keeper for a dead rubber match.

But would you be saying that if we'd just been relegated for the same reason? I think every manager has a duty to the integrity of the league.
    Yes I absolutely WOULD be saying that. Again, if you get relegated it's because over all the games you play, you're not good enough. It's no-one's responsibility but yours.

There were 45 other games you could have got more points in. Don't blame one Burton formation/keeper selection in one game for all of those.

This has NOTHING to do with integrity of the league. Burton don't owe any other team anything.
    Actually we won 20 out of 46 games so there were only 26 games we could have got more points in.  I agree otherwise with you.
  • Options
    mendonca said:
    @soapboxsam, you can't get your head around this Aneke issue/thing/air of opaqueness?  

Spot on mendonca, I can't.
    I worded a question in a kind way to Nigel Adkins on CAST which may have yielded some clues about the type of problems Chuks gets if he plays too many minutes but because of many other questions on the same subject, Richard Wiseman asked a general question on Aneke's fitness which Adkins gave the Fifth amendment answer.

Chuks doesn't break down in a match when he comes on so it must be a wear and tear type problem. 

When Bowyer said Chuks was a number 10 I said yes he can play the 10 role but play him as your number 9 and he will hit 25 goals in the Weaker League 1. Once Taylor and Bonne departed the centre forward position was his. I feel as frustrated as Chuks that xxxxx has stopped Aneke proving that.

I like Chuks as a number 10/2nd striker as well though, as it enables him to drive into the box from slightly deeper positions, and once he gets going he's impossible to stop!

He's not as good in the air as Stockley either.
    If Chuks had ever reached his potential, it would have been as a No 10.  He is a very good 9, in league 1 though. 

Having 4 strikers plus Chuks would be a very different ball game than what we have had this season. 
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    There is always an element of luck in who you play. It could be argued Plymouth weren't trying when we beat them 6 nil. or we can be irritated Crewe were trying too hard! If we send Burton down next season, I'll have a smile though!

It could actually help us as it gives Adkins a chance to build a side that will be competitive in the Championship rather than a bit of a panic to stay up next year. We ought to be expecting an enjoyable season to boot.

I will have expectations of top six at least, but in all honesty top two. With a good owner, good manager and a bit of stability why not?
  • Options
    No blame at all attached to Adkins for the outcome to this season. As many have commented we took 19 points from his ten games in charge (which would have been 87 across a complete season) whilst conceding only 8 goals. I'd take that all day long. The fault was in not dropping Bowyer earlier. Possibly after the home defeat by Accrington Stanley, and certainly after the home defeat against Gillingham. Had either of those happened we'd be ok today and contemplating, subject to results, another promotion. The issue for me is does Sangaard understand how difficult a division League One is, and the need for a degree of ruthlessness in ensuring results?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    No blame at all attached to Adkins for the outcome to this season. As many have commented we took 19 points from his ten games in charge (which would have been 87 across a complete season) whilst conceding only 8 goals. I'd take that all day long. The fault was in not dropping Bowyer earlier. Possibly after the home defeat by Accrington Stanley, and certainly after the home defeat against Gillingham. Had either of those happened we'd be ok today and contemplating, subject to results, another promotion. The issue for me is does Sangaard understand how difficult a division League One is, and the need for a degree of ruthlessness in ensuring results?
    Adkins knows what it takes to get promoted from this league as he's done it three times. 
    I'm sure that was one of the main reasons Sandgaard gave him the job.
    I'm confident that between the two of them they will put together a squad capable of achieving promotion next season. 
  • Options
    He's appointed someone who has had multiple promotions from the league so he must have a fair idea at least. And again this is why the likes of Roddy and Gallen are still consultants on the football side of things too.

You could maybe argue he could/should have gotten rid of Bowyer earlier (and if you did, I'd agree) but that is with hindsight and wasn't a universally held opinion at the time. If (as seems likely) he'd heard of Birmingham's interest then it's maybe fair the he held on to not spend unnecessary money on compo.
  • Options
    Thomas Sandgaard
    · May 9
    Look forward to seeing you all at the Valley next season! #cafc
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    Chunes said:
    Chunes said:
    thenewbie said:
    Chunes said:
    ozaddick said:

Burton's defeat was not down to the goalkeeper however much you like to pretend it was - this sounds like a conspiracy theory. Barnes was playing for Hibs earlier this year before QPR recalled him so he should be more than capable at L1 level. He simply had a bad game yesterday.

Who knows whether the goalkeeper made a difference yesterday, probably didn't decide the whole result and I never had any hope for us sneaking in anyway. But I do believe that managers should respect the integrity of the league by fielding a strong team, especially when others are playing out for places of importance. I don't see why that's controversial, or a 'conspiracy theory'. It's in the rules.
    He put in goal a perfectly decent keeper who had a bad game. It's not like he put out the U18 side.

If you read my other post you'll have seen that I saw Barnes play for Hibs against Rangers and he had a good game so he's certainly capable of playing at this level.

If you want to look at the integrity of managers then perhaps focus on the PL where weakened sides are regularly fielded - you can certainly argue the case there.

If Charlton were in the same position as Burton in the last game of the season I imagine a few fringe players may have got a start - it seems pretty standard.
    Checked this on the Hibs website.
    Barnes played 
    8/10/20 vs Brora Rangers
    11/10/20 vs Cove Rangers both matches were wins and match report doesn't mention him other than line up
    15/11/20 vs Dundee mention for a good save
    26th /12/20 vs Rangers lost game. Watched highlights video. Defender cleared the ball when a shot beat him. He comes out for a cross and retreats but the ball is blasted straight at him and he blocks it . On website it says "saving brilliantly at point blank range" and later  "another brilliant save" , in all honesty he could not of got out of the way of those two.

This evidently was not good enough to keep him at Hibs.

It stands as a strange decision to play him vs Oxford.Two GK's that have played this season, neither injured.  (Another not fit). At least, JFH was naive not to realise this was not a game of importance. 

As others suggested I should move on but I'll go at my own pace.

I do believe in conspiracies by the way. The money in football means that journalists are scared to ask the right questions- just remember Jim White  on Talk Sport and Duchalet. Scared they won't get another interview if they put them on the spot. After all football pays their wages.

• Options
    edited May 2021
    I think the only explanation can be the clause in Bowyer's contract and the amount we would have to pay him. I wouldn't be surprised if it was known he was looking for other jobs and our misfortune was he didn't get one sooner. Even though we left it late, we still nearly did it.
  • Options
    I think I read last time we played Sunderland at Wembley, that no side in red and white stripes has won the play-off at Wembley. Sunderland are playing Lincoln, in the first games, so put your money on one of the other teams  :)
  • Options
    I think the only explanation can be the clause in Bowyer's contract and the amount we would have to pay him. I wouldn't be surprised if it was known he was looking for other jobs and our misfortune was he didn't get one sooner. Even though we left it late, we still nearly did it.
    Without going over it all again.  I think it's pretty obvious that Thomas wasn't going to sack Bowyer, before the end of the season, unless there was a threat of relegation.  Which there never was.

The way it ended up working out was probably the best possible out come for Thomas.  
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    No good looking back. Looking forward with optimism to the future. 
     Missing out on the play-offs gives Adkins an extra three weeks to kick-start his rebuilding plans. In Adkins we have to trust..
  • Options
    robroy said:

My poor kids. They have been born (like me) into a lifetime of supporting charlton. We go again next season 
    I’m thinking of calling Childline. 😢
  • Options
    robroy said:

My poor kids. They have been born (like me) into a lifetime of supporting charlton. We go again next season 
    I’m thinking of calling Childline. 😢

As a kid I had to phone Childline, to report my Dad who took me down the old Den to see his mates and other family members who were from Bermondsey.  I said i wanted to see the Lions and Tigers and I ended up seeing Millwall and Hull. 

Lovely to see the kids in Charlton gear before they can think for their selves !

• Options
    ozaddick said:

I told you why. It's because Hasselwank hates us. It was bleeding obvious when he played for us that he thought we were beneath him.
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    The real question about JFH has not been answered.  Did his arse take up two or three seats in the away dugout.  I got three in the sweep...
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    Chunes said:
    Chunes said:
    thenewbie said:
    Chunes said:
    ozaddick said:

Checked this on the Hibs website.
    Barnes played 
    8/10/20 vs Brora Rangers
    11/10/20 vs Cove Rangers both matches were wins and match report doesn't mention him other than line up
    15/11/20 vs Dundee mention for a good save
    26th /12/20 vs Rangers lost game. Watched highlights video. Defender cleared the ball when a shot beat him. He comes out for a cross and retreats but the ball is blasted straight at him and he blocks it . On website it says "saving brilliantly at point blank range" and later  "another brilliant save" , in all honesty he could not of got out of the way of those two.

This evidently was not good enough to keep him at Hibs.

It stands as a strange decision to play him vs Oxford.Two GK's that have played this season, neither injured.  (Another not fit). At least, JFH was naive not to realise this was not a game of importance. 

As others suggested I should move on but I'll go at my own pace.

I do believe in conspiracies by the way. The money in football means that journalists are scared to ask the right questions- just remember Jim White  on Talk Sport and Duchalet. Scared they won't get another interview if they put them on the spot. After all football pays their wages.

You should get out more - might make you less paranoid. QPR recalled Barnes from his loan spell at Hibs - he wasn't sent back.

You obviously aren't particularly bothered by facts so you'd be ideal for Talk Sport.

I watched the whole Rangers v Hibs game when he played and he didn't look a bad keeper.

• Options
    Good interview that. NA already feels like a Charlton man on a mission! 

I noticed that he doesn't like noise in the background, ruining the peace and beauty  of the green grass and blue skies.
  • Options
    Schwatz missed penalty at Oxford last minute, if scored would have meant
    them minus 2 us plus 2. Seen the bloke score 1 goal and touch the ball
    about 20 times if that. Get rid. End of!
    It would have meant them minus 1.
  • Options
    On the positive side folks this may turn out to be a blessing in disguise for us.

The truth is that this current team are nowhere near the Lee Bowyer Play Off winning team of 2018/19.

How many of these players would get into that side? Maybe Inniss for Pearce, Maatsen for Purrington and Millar for Pratley.

If you look back at that side you’d pick the following team....

Philips

Djiksteel - Inniss - Bauer - Maatsen

Cullen - Bielek - Aribo - Millar

Taylor - Grant

Remembering, of course, that Maatsen and Millar are not our players.

I think the job for Adkins is to build a squad that can not only win this league but also be the foundation for a Championship team.

If we went up this season it may just be one season too soon and we’d have to patch together a squad to battle for Championship survival which would be very tough to do.
    Agree with every word