Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Post-match Thread: Charlton Athletic v Hull City | Sun 9th May 2021

Comments

• Options
    Potentially in League One next season we have: 

Charlton
    Sunderland
    Blackpool
    Portsmouth
    Bolton
    Sheffield Wednesday
    Rotherham

Tough season to get promoted. 
    Sunderland - never beat us
    Blackpool - ok but could just be a flash in the pan season
    Portsmouth - not that good
    Bolton - shit, only just made 3rd in league 2.
    Sheff Weds - basket case
    Rotherham - will be tough but they're not exactly Man city.

The league is ours.
    Don't forget Ipswich.

And there's always the dark horse that nobody rated at the beginning of the season.

• Options
    Outcome predictable unfortunately but at least we succeeded in doing what we could control.
  • Options
    All we needed was one more table point. For the second straight season the same story.... if we had given up just one less extra-time goal this season and not dropped just one of those last-minute points.... we would have had a very different ending to the season.
  • Options
    The much abused Karl Robinson did well and it would be churlish to say any different. He mugged the 6th spot which seemed appropriate as a Scouser.
    Nigel is from the other side of the Mersey where the decent folk live !

For the first time today I realized why Ruud van Maatsen is one of 100 or so players who have pro contracts at Chelski.
    Why it took him until the last game to show his mettle I'm not sure other than Wilks, was on the beach. Please Nads never play Ian on the right again if he comes back as he was a passenger despite the goal in his first match on the right, up front.

At least the work starts now for next season in the 3rd tier.

Amos, Matthews, Inniss, Morgan, Gilbey, Washington and DJ hopefully will all stay.
    Aneke with a good Summer where we can work on getting more game time from him will give as a core of decent players who can continue to improve under Nadkins.

Stockley has done well, but I don't like him playing as a lone striker as too many crap aimless balls makes it near impossible for him.

Millar is a brilliant/ terrible player ?
    Excites and disappoints in equal measures.
    With some good coaching he can improve.

The 8 or so players who come in need to be younger, fitter, and ambitious to want to play at a higher level than the mediocre League 1.

The four oldies Pearce, Gunter, Pratley and Watson did have good games this season but at least two need to leave as we look for more pace and athletic players going forward.

Starting to feel gutted about want might have been but winning 8 home games out of 23 was a shocker.

Two striker have to play every game in League1. Our midfield and wingers just don't score enough goals to justify not playing two strikers at home if not away.

• Options
    On the evidence of the last two games,it is difficult to see too much wrong.Just might be that these players have been decent all along,and now someone is here who is getting them to play to their ability.If all the loans go back,there are obviously some gaps to fill,and then the problem of who to offer new deals to.Some players are well into their 30s,easy to say get rid,but sometimes a bit of experience comes in handy(I thought Watson did very well in his last two games),although you dont play 36 year olds week in week out.I hope Morgan makes the break through next year,with possibly Vennings ,Henry and Davison getting some game time.The one good thing to emerge from not making the play offs is we can begin right away to build the squad .
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Played well today albeit against a team that didn't need the result.

Something to build on next season,  we still have a club, we have, it seems, a good owner and an experienced manager.

And in a few months we'll be back at the Valley.

C'mon Sunderland, now win the play-offs
    Why do lots of people want Sunderland to win?
  • Options
    just a wild guess, perhaps the biggest perceived threat next year.

• Options
    Any betting odds out yet for us in 21/22?
  • Options
    I hope we are in the country for the Burton game next season. I will buy a ticket behind the away dugout and spend ninety minutes blowing raspberries at Hasselbaink.  
    I would like, in a perfect World, to have them last game of the season where they need something to stay up.
  • Options
    Sarcastic thanks to Hasselbaink and Bowyer.
  • Options
    I hope we are in the country for the Burton game next season. I will buy a ticket behind the away dugout and spend ninety minutes blowing raspberries at Hasselbaink.  
    I would like, in a perfect World, to have them last game of the season where they need something to stay up.
    And they'll get it because we'll already be champions and on the beach.
  • Options
    Pleased we won, expect a good number of players to be renewed, but the aging players will move on.
  • Options
    It was a very good performance and you would not know who were the champions on that 90 mins ...

• Options
    Adkins has said he wants to bring the age of the team down.
  • Options
    I think I have read quotes on here stating that NA wants to bring the average age down as just posted also needs 5 or 6 very athletic players playing with good footballing skills and a star player to make the crowd excited, can anyone post anything remotely close to this please, as i seem to have missed all this, hopefully its true.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    RedJohn said:
    I think I have read quotes on here stating that NA wants to bring the average age down as just posted also needs 5 or 6 very athletic players playing with good footballing skills and a star player to make the crowd excited, can anyone post anything remotely close to this please, as i seem to have missed all this, hopefully its true.
    I can't give you word for word but he has said very close to what you have typed.
  • Options
    Cannot believe in seeing people dig out single event that caused us missing out. So many to choose from really. 

Let’s move on and get excited about the transfers coming in.

Also let’s look forward to the next off the academy conveyor belt!
  • Options
    Schwatz missed penalty at Oxford last minute, if scored would have meant
    them minus 2 us plus 2. Seen the bloke score 1 goal and touch the ball
    about 20 times if that. Get rid. End of!
  • Options
    Did anyone else see Lard arse Jimmy Floyd H. with his Speedo, deck chair, cigar and Hawaiian shirt on the highlights ? Why the fuck was Burton's keeper wearing flip flops and he had a cocktail by his post.

Lee stayed 4 weeks too long as one of our regular posters suggested. Doesn't make Lee a bad manager but he needed a change and we needed a different pair of eyes and Philosophy to energise the team and supporters.

Just a wee bump in the road this season.

Still feel gutted though  :(
  • Options
    The fact that there are so many and we failed to make it on goal difference gives us a lot of choice. I think those that point to around 20 games where we did little better than a point a game are probably closest to the mark.

We can say the penalty misses against Oxford and Posh or the late equaliser for Crewe were to blame, but ultimately our form under Adkins was automatic promotion form and things will go for you and things will go against you.

I have believed the squad was good enough, but sadly we had a manager who went rogue when things went against him and some players that were written off can be written back in. It seems a good approach to get the average age down.

I'd like to see us try to keep hold of Aneke. Even when he hasn't been able to play much, he has been our top scorer and if nothing changes, he is still a game changer. Amos had a poor patch when we were having a poor patch. That happens with keepers, but he has shown he is worthy of being kept on.
  • Options
    Ronnie knows it too as has been quite head down since on social media and in warmups. I'd prefer to encourage him than hammer him. 

It's no coincidence we have ended up in such a position 2 years running. 
  • Options
    mendonca said:
    Ronnie knows it too as has been quite head down since on social media and in warmups. I'd prefer to encourage him than hammer him. 

It's no coincidence we have ended up in such a position 2 years running. 
    Stockley's penalty miss had the same overall impact. Put it behind him and come back stronger with something to prove. He does have something to prove though and not in relation to that penalty miss.
  • Options
    Should have got rid of Bowyer much earlier - after the disastrous run under him we still managed 7th.

A waste of a season. 
  • Options
    The fact that there are so many and we failed to make it on goal difference gives us a lot of choice. I think those that point to around 20 games where we did little better than a point a game are probably closest to the mark.

We can say the penalty misses against Oxford and Posh or the late equaliser for Crewe were to blame, but ultimately our form under Adkins was automatic promotion form and things will go for you and things will go against you.

I have believed the squad was good enough, but sadly we had a manager who went rogue when things went against him and some players that were written off can be written back in. It seems a good approach to get the average age down.

I'd like to see us try to keep hold of Aneke. Even when he hasn't been able to play much, he has been our top scorer and if nothing changes, he is still a game changer. Amos had a poor patch when we were having a poor patch. That happens with keepers, but he has shown he is worthy of being kept on.
    I think not having centre halves were more of an issue. Like a lot of sides in this league, a first team can win games against anyone, but the squad is not good enough to cover injuries or suspensions and I think this applied to us both at the back and up front.
    You may get away with a couple of games but clubs are good at identifying weaknesses and exploiting them. 
    Lincoln are a good example this year of a team that have a settled squad for most of the season.