Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Rumours Rumours - Summer 2021 edition (Deadline Day from p814)

Comments

• Options
    AndyG said:
    I dont get all the negativity at the moment. From what I have seen so far the team are playing a far more cohesive style of football and look to be performing well. Sure we need some extra players for strength in depth but some of the meltdowns on here based on not signing certain players that are actually worse than we already have is getting tedious
    Because we have 19 first-team players currently.

We are currently behind our promotion rivals in terms of the transfer market, that's a fact that can't really be disputed. 

If you look at our first 11 + bench it wouldn't make play-offs currently. 
    I’m going to have to dispute your ‘fact’.

Not all our presumed rivals are ahead, and that’s only if you think ahead means bringing in more bodies rather than actual quality. 

Ipswich, Wigan, Portsmouth and Doncaster have each brought in 2 or 3 more players than us so far. 

Oxford, Wednesday, Sunderland, Wycombe, Rotherham and Lincoln all have brought in the same or less players than us. 
    But some teams didn't lose 10 players like we did. Oxford, I believe, only lost 3. 

More apples & pears - just like the "our squad is in a better state than it was this time last season" bollox.

Its al about the context.
    Hi Golfie. A genuine question here mate, you say it is bollox that our squad is in better shape than last year. So you think a midfield of Pratley & Watson is better than what we have seen so far ? most of the players that have left didnt feature much for us anyway did they ? The only one I can think of that did is Chucks
  • Options
    Assume a lot of people didn't watch the game last night as I thought first half we were very encouraging, admittedly work to do in signing some depth (and a left back and winger to start), but I really don't understand all the panic... yes the season starts in 10 days, but the transfer window shuts in 5 weeks and I have no doubt we will have a promotion challenging team by then. 
  • Options
    edited July 2021
    AndyG said:
    I dont get all the negativity at the moment. From what I have seen so far the team are playing a far more cohesive style of football and look to be performing well. Sure we need some extra players for strength in depth but some of the meltdowns on here based on not signing certain players that are actually worse than we already have is getting tedious

We are currently behind our promotion rivals in terms of the transfer market, that's a fact that can't really be disputed. 

Not all our presumed rivals are ahead, and that’s only if you think ahead means bringing in more bodies rather than actual quality. 

Ipswich, Wigan, Portsmouth and Doncaster have each brought in 2 or 3 more players than us so far. 

Oxford, Wednesday, Sunderland, Wycombe, Rotherham and Lincoln all have brought in the same or less players than us. 
    But some teams didn't lose 10 players like we did. Oxford, I believe, only lost 3. 

More apples & pears - just like the "our squad is in a better state than it was this time last season" bollox.

Agreed, it’s about context and of course it makes a difference when a side like Oxford have only lost 3 players compared to us. 

But, I’m sticking with my disagreement to the original statement that our promotion rivals have had better transfer windows than us. I’m not saying we’re ready to get autos or play offs as of today, but it’s not true that our 9 or 10 possible promotion rivals have all had better transfer windows so far. 
  • Options
    AndyG said:
    AndyG said:

Hi Golfie. A genuine question here mate, you say it is bollox that our squad is in better shape than last year. So you think a midfield of Pratley & Watson is better than what we have seen so far ? most of the players that have left didnt feature much for us anyway did they ? The only one I can think of that did is Chucks
    Well there's Maatsen and Millar who I am pretty sure pretty sure Golfie probably had some choice words to say about at the time.
  • Options
    I've no idea what the "real" comparative figures are when it comes to squad movement. 

e.g.
    Club A releases 10 kids and deadwood players
    Club B loses its 3 best players and 2 kids

or
    Club C loses 5 loan players, only 2 of which were key first teamers
    Club D loses 3 loan players who were all key first teamers
  • Options
    Anyone ITK?
    The first rule of being ITK is to never talk about being ITK

PS home kit WILL be revealed today with EXISTING players.
    No lists please
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Anyone ITK?
    The first rule of being ITK is to never talk about being ITK

PS home kit WILL be revealed today with EXISTING players.
    No lists please
    All lists should be of 10 or 20 items.  Please stick to top 10/20 otherwise we will be 100 pages in no time and it will be worthless. I’m not interested in one or two opinions. Everyone on here is thick!

wibble
    🤪
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:
    AndyG said:

Depending on how they play as a team.

I’ve seen a lot to like in the pre season friendlies. Midfield seems a yard quicker, our pressing is better and more consistent, our passing is improving, and our shape is more solid. 
    I think we’re getting the basics right, and the way we develop our academy ‘products’ will be increasingly part of the long term business model for the club. 
    Pretty sure we’ll bring in a left back, a centre back, and a winger. And possibly another striker. 
    Let’s not get too despondent about the lack of star signings. I think we’re heading steadily in the right direction, and that’ll do for me, as I took the talk of Premier League in five years with a massive pinch of salt. 
     5 year plans never work,they just roll over into an endless 5 year plan that never delivers. 4 year plans are as bad.

Parliament had 5 year terms , now 4. USSR 5. None work. 
    It’s just nice to have a plan for a change.
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:
    AndyG said:

I’ve seen a lot to like in the pre season friendlies. Midfield seems a yard quicker, our pressing is better and more consistent, our passing is improving, and our shape is more solid. 
    I think we’re getting the basics right, and the way we develop our academy ‘products’ will be increasingly part of the long term business model for the club. 
    Pretty sure we’ll bring in a left back, a centre back, and a winger. And possibly another striker. 
    Let’s not get too despondent about the lack of star signings. I think we’re heading steadily in the right direction, and that’ll do for me, as I took the talk of Premier League in five years with a massive pinch of salt. 
     5 year plans never work,they just roll over into an endless 5 year plan that never delivers. 4 year plans are as bad.

Sky promised to win the Tour de France in five years and did it in three. 
  • Options
    Sam Greenwood of Leeds we are number of lower league sides looking at a possible loan ??? 
    That would be a great signing 
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:
    JamesSeed said:
    AndyG said:

On practically unlimited resources 
  • Options
    edited July 2021
    Imagine if we'd jumped in and signed a forward in July rather than wait 'til late September to sign Yann Kermorgant - who didn't actually start a game for us 'til 8th October. So, is it better to have signed the wrong players already or to wait and sign the right players in the course of the next couple of weeks?

We either trust TS, NA and SG to get things right or we don't. It seems to me that too many people on here have incredibly short memories given where we were just one year ago so far as ownership, transfer embargos and the very future of the Club is concerned.
    Not a rumour (but most aren’t anyway!) 

But my word, what a player. Every time I see the name I just think and I can only put it as “Phworr”
  • Options
    Bloody hell, Ipswich have signed 10 new players. We are light years behind. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    JamesSeed said:
    JamesSeed said:
    AndyG said:

It was still a plan. He said none work. 
  • Options
    edited July 2021
    AndyG said:
    AndyG said:

If you read what I have posted a couple of times recently I've been saying comparing the starting 11 against Crewe last year to the starting 11 against Sheff W this year is bollox. It seems rather obvious to me that we of course should be in a better position this season simply due to the chaos we were in last August & early September. Its not rocket science - we were under a transfer embargo & a wage cap fgs ! More importantly - are we in a better shape than against Hull last May ?

I have only seen us against Welling & missed the VP matches against Reading & Palace so I can'r really comment of the new players we've brought in. It sounds like both Clare & Dobson look handy players, and that Morgan is stepping up. But for me we are still missing a main striker & a winger. And we shouldn't be relying on loans for those important first teamers. 
  • Options
    edited July 2021
    Rothko said:
    Imagine if we'd jumped in and signed a forward in July rather than wait 'til late September to sign Yann Kermorgant - who didn't actually start a game for us 'til 8th October. So, is it better to have signed the wrong players already or to wait and sign the right players in the course of the next couple of weeks?

We either trust TS, NA and SG to get things right or we don't. It seems to me that too many people on here have incredibly short memories given where we were just one year ago so far as ownership, transfer embargos and the very future of the Club is concerned.
    We did, as we signed Paul Hayes (in June actually)

Yann was the icing on the cake, but if we hadn't signed him, we already had a decent L1 striker in that position
    Hayes only started a dozen games, became surplus to requirements and was sent out on loan that season. So, perhaps, Schwartz is our Hayes and we have yet to sign our Kermorgant!
    If we hadn't signed Yann we would have been a play off team
    Very true, Yann was the cherry, the icing and the candles on top of the Charlton cake, and very nice it was.
  • Options
    CAFCTrev said:
    Not really they released about 18 players sold one for 1.2 mill so in fact they not spent a penny in back filling their squad 
  • Options
    CAFCTrev said:
    So have Morecambe… means ? 
  • Options
    Has has the transfer / wages budget been cut?
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:
    JamesSeed said:
    AndyG said:

And no drugs whatsoever 
    Carefully your get jumped on! 
  • Options
    edited July 2021
    Cafc43v3r said:
    JamesSeed said:
    JamesSeed said:
    AndyG said:

And no drugs whatsoever 
    Carefully you’ll get jumped on! 
    Yup. Wrong thread. 
  • Options
    Not turning out to be the summer rebuild we all thought. 

When I said that 5 weeks and more ago I got pelted. Something has changed since TS and NA made those claims . Realism may have bitten a bit. However it is strange only one player we were interested in January  time has been procured. 
    All very odd in a way because neither TS or NA are given to over statement. 

Adkins wasn’t in charge in January though. It is totally possible that he isn’t interested in the players that Bowyer was. Clubs don’t just make a list and stick with it come what may.
    It may well be true and that is a good point but Roddy and Gallen were involved in recruitment 
    I wonder though how involved they were in Schwartz joining. I doubt Bowyer was.

If in Roddy and Gallen we trust then why not now. Kirk is a good player. 

Our problem is those out ,particularly LB and RCB and another GK or forward.

Ask @Rothko my opinion doesn’t matter............
     I never said your opinion didn't  matter.  I don't do twitter etc. Who is Rothko ?

I was joking mate. Rothko is the cad who gains the likes for copying someone else’s work. 
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!