Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Rumours Rumours - Summer 2021 edition (Deadline Day from p814)

Comments

• So this is why we got Ged Roddy in from Reading…to poach a player for the woman’s team.
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    Spending big on the women team at the detriment of the men. Sigh. 
    How much do you think she is on?  £500 a week? 

I know Wrexham offered her 9k but seriously? 
    It was tongue in cheek but I am sure I am not the only one to have absolutely no interest in womens football so I personally don't want any money spent on it. 100% on the team I've been watching for 53 years now. 

Before anyone says it I don't comment on the Women's football threads. No offence meant, just not for me. Paradoxically I currently prefer women's tennis to the mens. 
    You don't watch it therefore no money should be spent on it? How selfish is that? I don't watch any women's football either but I wouldn't ever think that's it's not important enough to spend money on, especially in 2021 where there is an obviously massive potential in women's football 
    Is there massive potential? I don't dislike it by any means but I really don't know any people that religiously watch it like the mens.  Just don't think the interest is there for it to grow much.
  • Cafc43v3r said:

It was tongue in cheek but I am sure I am not the only one to have absolutely no interest in womens football so I personally don't want any money spent on it. 100% on the team I've been watching for 53 years now. 

Before anyone says it I don't comment on the Women's football threads. No offence meant, just not for me. Paradoxically I currently prefer women's tennis to the mens. 
    You don't watch it therefore no money should be spent on it? How selfish is that? I don't watch any women's football either but I wouldn't ever think that's it's not important enough to spend money on, especially in 2021 where there is an obviously massive potential in women's football 
    Is there massive potential? I don't dislike it by any means but I really don't know any people that religiously watch it like the mens.  Just don't think the interest is there for it to grow much.
    I imagine in the years coming up as more money gets spent on women's football, more people will be interested in watching it. Not to say it'll ever be as big as men's, but if you get a few characters such as the American's womens national team, I think there is defo some money to be made there and more people will watch it. 
  • Leaving aside the "right thing to do" bringing the women's team up to professional level could well be a great way to increase our exposure in the states.  Not that it matters while we are in league 1.
  • You are not the only one .There are at least two of us
  • J BLOCK said:
    aTS attending the Charlton golf day dinner this evening, I’m sure people will hear something.
    Fore new signings
    A fifth wanted £10k a week which was way out of bounds. 

Was firmly told that's too much wedge.  'If you like a big club you should go to Ipswich'  
  • dickad1 said:
    J BLOCK said:
    aTS attending the Charlton golf day dinner this evening, I’m sure people will hear something.
    Fore new signings
    A fifth wanted £10k a week which was way out of bounds. 

Was firmly told that's too much wedge.  'If you like a big club you should go to Ipswich'  

New Senegalese centre back rumoured to be unveiled: Naby Par
  • J BLOCK said:
    TS attending the Charlton golf day dinner this evening, I’m sure people will hear something.
    He's got some serious wedge that's for sure.
  • Sponsored links:

• The ‘light years behind Ipswich’ comment on the previous page really tickled me 
  • cabbles said:
    The ‘light years behind Ipswich’ comment on the previous page really tickled me 
    Sometimes you just have to accept it is a losing battle and give up trying to be rationale 
  • cabbles said:
    The same Ipswich that struggled to a 3-3 draw at Colchester yesterday no less.
  • Cafc43v3r said:

Is there massive potential? I don't dislike it by any means but I really don't know any people that religiously watch it like the mens.  Just don't think the interest is there for it to grow much.p
    "Massive" might be overstating it but I do think it's got potential to grow and if so being ahead of the game rather than playing catch-up will be an obvious benefit.
  • cabbles said:
    The A12 up to Ipswich really can feel like that long at times
  • cabbles said:
    Caring about friendlies, really? 
  • Scoham said:
    I thought TS telling a fan last night that we'd sign players but not until the end of the window was a decent rumour but it seems to have gone unnoticed.

There’s even photo evidence of TS with a fan on the Facebook group.

The arrow points to relegation.

• edited July 2021
    cabbles said:
    Caring about friendlies, really? 
    I agree with you that they don't indicate much - but some of the whiners hang on every pre season result of ours so why not turn it around and do the same with them?

If they were truly light years ahead, they would be blowing away teams from the league below. I know which team (between us and them) had the better result yesterday.

Ipswich will lose plenty of games this season. That's just how football works, the good teams on paper aren't guaranteed anything.
  • Scoham said:
    I thought TS telling a fan last night that we'd sign players but not until the end of the window was a decent rumour but it seems to have gone unnoticed.

I'll be happy if that happens to Palace :D

• Sponsored links:

• rananegra said:
    Scoham said:

I'll be happy if that happens to Palace :D

I'll grasp at any sign to see those skidmarks relegated!
  • Hello muttleycafc ONLY 3 OR 4 more signings and we have a great chance! With 9 days left to sign players have you been drinking!
  • He didn't update on Gilbey. We know from the player's own words that it was no joke catching it. Does anybody know how he is now?
  • Seeing as everyone loves to comment on Ipswich I'm going to add my 2 penneth.

I'd love to see what their spend is in comparison to the previous 5 or so years for league 1 clubs, particularly on wages. I imagine its way beyond the norm and not a sustainable way to run a 3rd tier club.

They're putting everything on getting promoted this season and whilst there is a very good chance its by no means guaranteed. What happens then if they don't go up. Do they throw a load more US pension fund money at it? Its like the imploding clubs of the Championship have gone straight over their heads.

When Sangaard took over I was more than happy just to have a stable, well run club and I still am. Yes his "blowing through the league"  comments may have been a little OTT but I bet he didn't expect the likes of Ipswich to be spending the sort of money they are and the market conditions to be so tough to operate in.

I want out of this division as much as the next man but I don't want to risk it all paying way over the top for players just to try and match what Ipswich or Wigan are doing.
    What is a sustainable way to run a league 1 club the size of Charlton or Ipswich?  People keep talking about it and never explain what they mean.

Ipswich's wage bill, at the moment, will be a fraction of what Sunderland's was in 2019, in fact I would guess its in the same ball park at the moment as ours was in 2019.

They have also sold players, and will sell more to help cover the cost.  They have signed Piggot and Fraser not Kane and KDB. 
  • Think only 3/4 needed .. looked at the squad today and even leaving out Dempsey, Vennings and Harness we have 25 of which 7 are young players .. think that the largest in league one 
  • JOKERS ON HERE SAYING 2 MEDICALS TODAY… 
  • Think only 3/4 needed .. looked at the squad today and even leaving out Dempsey, Vennings and Harness we have 25 of which 7 are young players .. think that the largest in league one 
    No it's not
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!