Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Rumours Rumours - Summer 2021 edition (Deadline Day from p814)

Comments

• Options
    Scoham said:
    Isn't that all from that one weirdo on the other forum who gets kicked off and invited back there every 6 months and has been booted off here plenty of times?  Talks junk. Ignore.
    I purposely don't follow who I assume you're talking about but it might well be where it originated from.

Generally though I think people just want to see signings that back up TS and NAs words. Understandable but the lack of activity so far isn't evidence that we won't end up with a strong squad. It was always said signings would come in towards the end of the window.

From what I've seen some also believe NA not being as positive as usual in his post Palace interview backs up that something isn't right, but then we also know that's only recently recovered from Covid.

I watched the interview earlier today after reading some of the comments about it and he just came across as normal to me. Maybe not as happy Nigel as he is in his walking videos but I didn't read anything negative into his demeanor and how he was answering the questions.
  • Options
    Rothko said:
    CafcSteve said:
    Wycombe signed Vokes.

They also just beat Leicester 1-0.
    And we signed Stockley, I don’t get this constant comparing each signing 
    Agreed. Also, why mention a Wycombe signing and friendly result on the Charlton rumours thread. 
  • Options
    thenewbie said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Seeing as everyone loves to comment on Ipswich I'm going to add my 2 penneth.

I'd love to see what their spend is in comparison to the previous 5 or so years for league 1 clubs, particularly on wages. I imagine its way beyond the norm and not a sustainable way to run a 3rd tier club.

They're putting everything on getting promoted this season and whilst there is a very good chance its by no means guaranteed. What happens then if they don't go up. Do they throw a load more US pension fund money at it? Its like the imploding clubs of the Championship have gone straight over their heads.

When Sangaard took over I was more than happy just to have a stable, well run club and I still am. Yes his "blowing through the league"  comments may have been a little OTT but I bet he didn't expect the likes of Ipswich to be spending the sort of money they are and the market conditions to be so tough to operate in.

I want out of this division as much as the next man but I don't want to risk it all paying way over the top for players just to try and match what Ipswich or Wigan are doing.
    What is a sustainable way to run a league 1 club the size of Charlton or Ipswich?  People keep talking about it and never explain what they mean.

Ipswich's wage bill, at the moment, will be a fraction of what Sunderland's was in 2019, in fact I would guess its in the same ball park at the moment as ours was in 2019.

They have also sold players, and will sell more to help cover the cost.  They have signed Piggot and Fraser not Kane and KDB. 
    I couldn't given an explanation for that but I'm not sure 2019 wages are all that relevant in a post-COVID world where football finances are in a huge mess. I would guess that being sustainable is not paying 3rd tier players £10k a week. As I said great for them if they get promoted as their gamble pays off but what if it doesn't. League 1 incomes can't cover those types of wages so its back to a reliance on rich benefactors or pension funds to cover the costs. What if they then decide to pull the plug if they can't buy immediate success?
    For clubs like Charlton and Ipswich, League One is NOT sustainable. At all. With any model. That's the problem. Every year you're down here you're losing money.

The problem is that trying to spend big to fund a promotion is a big gamble, potentially literally win or bust. If Ipswich dont get up this season I genuinely don't know if they could afford to make another attempt or be forced to go for bargains and freebies.
    Don’t Ipswich have a large US pension fund behind them ?  I think they can spend substantially. 
  • Options
    DDOUBLEE said:
    DDOUBLEE said:
    Swisdom said:
    DDOUBLEE said:
    Ipswich just announced Conor Chaplin while we're busy announcing stupid f**king songs 🙂🙂🙂
    Why are we getting the hump with every signing by our rivals?  Who really cares about Conor Chaplin? We’re his 4 goals last season especially remarkable 

the game isn’t played on paper, or based on signings - it’s a team game.  We finished the season as the form team so maybe, just maybe, we’ll do ok
    Okay, I'll just be satisfied with Josh Davison who scored 3 goals for Forest Green Rovers in the division below then.
    Doesn’t matter whether you are or not, Adkins is satisfied to the point where he’s refusing to loan him out.
    Okay, good for Adkins then. Won't be enough for promotion but as long as Mr. Walking is Brilliant is satisfied then everything is fine.
    End of the day NA / SG's hands are tied to the budget that TS has set. I'm sure NA would love to spend the cash on bringing replacements in for those who left or JFK's tragic injury or just improving the team/squad. He spent 2 years turning down previous job offers & while he loves bringing through the youth I wonder if he's thinking this isn't quite what he signed up for. Did TS tell him he wants to blow the league away & he would back him to sign whoever he wanted but the budget now isn't enough?
    It was more than just an injury - he had his brains blown out 
    Whoosh
  • Options
    Schwartz to Ipswich

joke.

• Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Just to save you all 24 hours of your life.

Thursday 29th July 2021

We probably won't sign anyone.  Ipswich might.  Our squad is stronger than it was 12 months ago.  It's probably not as strong as it was in May.  We need more players.  A left back, center back, winger and striker are probably needed. Some will moan, some will be positive that it will happen.  Loads of people will argue about all of the above.

Someone will make some stuff up and post it then bang on about us signing Middlesbrough players from Cardiff and resigning Maatsen. 

I'll be back tomorrow for another preview. 
    Thanks for the Bitesize. Saved me looking at 120 unread posts. 
  • Options
    There are so many people saying this thread is getting repetitious. It’s getting repetitious. 
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Just to save you all 24 hours of your life.

Thursday 29th July 2021

We probably won't sign anyone.  Ipswich might.  Our squad is stronger than it was 12 months ago.  It's probably not as strong as it was in May.  We need more players.  A left back, center back, winger and striker are probably needed. Some will moan, some will be positive that it will happen.  Loads of people will argue about all of the above.

Someone will make some stuff up and post it then bang on about us signing Middlesbrough players from Cardiff and resigning Maatsen. 

I'll be back tomorrow for another preview. 
    You forgot to address whether Adkins has had enough and is throwing in the towel because he's four-five sandwiches short of a picnic even though the cafe doesn't close for another four weeks.

• Options
    I think we need an Ipswich thread.  Fisons, The Cobbold stand, John Wark, Jamie Clapham, James Scowcroft, David Johnson, Suffolk, Marcus Evans, Alan Brazil, The Dozells, the 9-1 defeat to Man Utd, the amount of light years they are ahead of us…
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited July 2021
    From The Athletic today... have to figure in the lower leagues it is even more significant. Total transfer spending by year in various leagues. Even lower this year than last.

And number of deals over £40M is way off too.

• Options
    cabbles said:
    I think we need an Ipswich thread.  Fisons, The Cobbold stand, John Wark, Jamie Clapham, James Scowcroft, David Johnson, Suffolk, Marcus Evans, Alan Brazil, The Dozells, the 9-1 defeat to Man Utd, the amount of light years they are ahead of us…

Can you hear me The Dozells, your boys took a hell of a beating! Your boys took a hell of a beating!
  • Options
    thenewbie said:
    vff said:
    thenewbie said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Seeing as everyone loves to comment on Ipswich I'm going to add my 2 penneth.

I'd love to see what their spend is in comparison to the previous 5 or so years for league 1 clubs, particularly on wages. I imagine its way beyond the norm and not a sustainable way to run a 3rd tier club.

They're putting everything on getting promoted this season and whilst there is a very good chance its by no means guaranteed. What happens then if they don't go up. Do they throw a load more US pension fund money at it? Its like the imploding clubs of the Championship have gone straight over their heads.

When Sangaard took over I was more than happy just to have a stable, well run club and I still am. Yes his "blowing through the league"  comments may have been a little OTT but I bet he didn't expect the likes of Ipswich to be spending the sort of money they are and the market conditions to be so tough to operate in.

I want out of this division as much as the next man but I don't want to risk it all paying way over the top for players just to try and match what Ipswich or Wigan are doing.
    What is a sustainable way to run a league 1 club the size of Charlton or Ipswich?  People keep talking about it and never explain what they mean.

Ipswich's wage bill, at the moment, will be a fraction of what Sunderland's was in 2019, in fact I would guess its in the same ball park at the moment as ours was in 2019.

They have also sold players, and will sell more to help cover the cost.  They have signed Piggot and Fraser not Kane and KDB. 
    I couldn't given an explanation for that but I'm not sure 2019 wages are all that relevant in a post-COVID world where football finances are in a huge mess. I would guess that being sustainable is not paying 3rd tier players £10k a week. As I said great for them if they get promoted as their gamble pays off but what if it doesn't. League 1 incomes can't cover those types of wages so its back to a reliance on rich benefactors or pension funds to cover the costs. What if they then decide to pull the plug if they can't buy immediate success?
    For clubs like Charlton and Ipswich, League One is NOT sustainable. At all. With any model. That's the problem. Every year you're down here you're losing money.

The problem is that trying to spend big to fund a promotion is a big gamble, potentially literally win or bust. If Ipswich dont get up this season I genuinely don't know if they could afford to make another attempt or be forced to go for bargains and freebies.
    Don’t Ipswich have a large US pension fund behind them ?  I think they can spend substantially. 
    This season, yes. But a pension fund is by definition other people's money. If the gamble doesn't pay off and they end up losing a substantial amount (which another season in this League means they would even BEFORE you consider wages), they might well find themselves without that fund.

Spending people's money on something as speculative and unpredictable as football is a gamble. At least with Sandgaard it's his own money he's deciding about.
    It bonkers a pension fund investing in a football club, but ultimately that's not the problem for Paul Cook. He's there to spend the budget they've given him
  • Options
    Meal deals that is

Burger, chips and coke £7.00
    Burger and beer £8.00
    Burger, chips and beer £10.00
  • Options
    Glad to see Negan from the Walking Dead had time to attend the match. 

Couple of dodgy looking geezers in front of them looking at the camera.
  • Options
    Major said:

Someone further up the thread said they are agents, agents being agents and thinking the world revolves around them and their client are probably assuming the photographer is there for them.

PS….I don’t like agents 
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    I'm really not happy with this transfer window, so I am officially shifting my allegiance from Thomas Sandgaard to our rightful owner, The Dentist.

Just imagine what The Dentist would have accomplished by now, were he in control of our club. Our squad would be the talk of the town! 

There'd be no talk of a toothless attack if we had The Dentist.

Bring back The Dentist.
    This thread is certainly like extracting teeth!
  • Options
    DA9 said:
    Major said:

Someone further up the thread said they are agents, agents being agents and thinking the world revolves around them and their client are probably assuming the photographer is there for them.

PS….I don’t like agents 
    Estate agents?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    DA9 said:
    Major said:

PS….I don’t like agents 
    Estate agents?
    Think they mean travel agents.
  • Options
    DA9 said:
    Major said:

PS….I don’t like agents 
    Estate agents?

• Options
    Any goss from the sponsors golf day, apart from TS having a big swing!
  • Options
    This thread is a parody of itself. 
  • Options
    From The Athletic today... have to figure in the lower leagues it is even more significant. Total transfer spending by year in various leagues. Even lower this year than last.

And number of deals over £40M is way off too.

Interesting up then down five year cycle in the first graph. Why, anyone?
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!