Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Rumours Rumours - Summer 2021 edition (Deadline Day from p814)

Comments

• Options
    You can't have an Ipswich thread without mentioning Neil Heaney.
  • Options
    It was not so long ago that we were a week or so away from having no team to support.

Thomas saved our club and is slowly building it back up from the damage that was done over many years.

I am thankful that I can take my son to the Valley, which is something I did with my dad, and he did with his dad.

I don't see why people are getting so wound up over transfers.  It seems people have short memories.

Please just be thankful that our great club still exists.

This indeed.  The ones moaning everyday must of been the sort of kids who demanded new toys a couple of weeks after Christmas. 
    Exactly. The sort of kids who are having tantrums in mid-December because they're not allowed to open any presents yet.

The sort of kids who on Christmas Day, they frown on opening a present because it's not as good as expected and put it to one side immediately and say, 'Can I open another one?'

The sort of kids who look at their opened presents and think, 'I wish I had richer parents.'
  • Options
    thenewbie said:
    vff said:
    thenewbie said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Seeing as everyone loves to comment on Ipswich I'm going to add my 2 penneth.

I'd love to see what their spend is in comparison to the previous 5 or so years for league 1 clubs, particularly on wages. I imagine its way beyond the norm and not a sustainable way to run a 3rd tier club.

They're putting everything on getting promoted this season and whilst there is a very good chance its by no means guaranteed. What happens then if they don't go up. Do they throw a load more US pension fund money at it? Its like the imploding clubs of the Championship have gone straight over their heads.

When Sangaard took over I was more than happy just to have a stable, well run club and I still am. Yes his "blowing through the league"  comments may have been a little OTT but I bet he didn't expect the likes of Ipswich to be spending the sort of money they are and the market conditions to be so tough to operate in.

I want out of this division as much as the next man but I don't want to risk it all paying way over the top for players just to try and match what Ipswich or Wigan are doing.
    What is a sustainable way to run a league 1 club the size of Charlton or Ipswich?  People keep talking about it and never explain what they mean.

Ipswich's wage bill, at the moment, will be a fraction of what Sunderland's was in 2019, in fact I would guess its in the same ball park at the moment as ours was in 2019.

They have also sold players, and will sell more to help cover the cost.  They have signed Piggot and Fraser not Kane and KDB. 
    I couldn't given an explanation for that but I'm not sure 2019 wages are all that relevant in a post-COVID world where football finances are in a huge mess. I would guess that being sustainable is not paying 3rd tier players £10k a week. As I said great for them if they get promoted as their gamble pays off but what if it doesn't. League 1 incomes can't cover those types of wages so its back to a reliance on rich benefactors or pension funds to cover the costs. What if they then decide to pull the plug if they can't buy immediate success?
    For clubs like Charlton and Ipswich, League One is NOT sustainable. At all. With any model. That's the problem. Every year you're down here you're losing money.

The problem is that trying to spend big to fund a promotion is a big gamble, potentially literally win or bust. If Ipswich dont get up this season I genuinely don't know if they could afford to make another attempt or be forced to go for bargains and freebies.
    Don’t Ipswich have a large US pension fund behind them ?  I think they can spend substantially. 
    This season, yes. But a pension fund is by definition other people's money. If the gamble doesn't pay off and they end up losing a substantial amount (which another season in this League means they would even BEFORE you consider wages), they might well find themselves without that fund.

Spending people's money on something as speculative and unpredictable as football is a gamble. At least with Sandgaard it's his own money he's deciding about.
    This is outrageous. There should be a law against spending other people’s money buying football players. That is the job of fans.
    Bloody cheek.
  • Options
    Macronate said:
    Steve Gallen is the spit of a bloke who lives across the road from me.

Don't think it is SG but I'm going to ask if the bloke who lives across the road from me has any rumours of deals he's working on.

Will let you all know how I get on.

COYI

• Options
    Chunes said:
    I'm really not happy with this transfer window, so I am officially shifting my allegiance from Thomas Sandgaard to our rightful owner, The Dentist.

Just imagine what The Dentist would have accomplished by now, were he in control of our club. Our squad would be the talk of the town! 

There'd be no talk of a toothless attack.

Bring back The Dentist.
    I believe he is proficient in the art of comb and tissue paper and is releasing some ditty on us in the near future though.  A big no from me.

I am sticking with the Danish rock star.
  • Options
    The Pompey fans as well reckon there years behind clubs like us and Ipswich 

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Macronate said:
    Steve Gallen is the spit of a bloke who lives across the road from me.

Don't think it is SG but I'm going to ask if the bloke who lives across the road from me has any rumours of deals he's working on.

Will let you all know how I get on.

COYI
    I’ve lost all respect for SG since his revelation this week that he follows ***tic 
    😎
  • Options
    It was not so long ago that we were a week or so away from having no team to support.

Thomas saved our club and is slowly building it back up from the damage that was done over many years.

I am thankful that I can take my son to the Valley, which is something I did with my dad, and he did with his dad.

I don't see why people are getting so wound up over transfers.  It seems people have short memories.

This indeed.  The ones moaning everyday must of been the sort of kids who demanded new toys a couple of weeks after Christmas. 
    Exactly. The sort of kids who are having tantrums in mid-December because they're not allowed to open any presents yet.

The sort of kids who on Christmas Day, they frown on opening a present because it's not as good as expected and put it to one side immediately and say, "Underwhelmed!"

There fixed it for you. That's what some Charlton Lifers would say. : B)

• Options
    Wetting the bed? At this point I'm sh*tting it!

(Not Charlton related, I just like the way it feels when I wake up in the morning).

Information for your partner ?

There's a sale on for single beds at DFS  :|
  • Options
    I wonder how many League One clubs are keeping their powder dry?

This year, with so many clubs having cut their budget to their means in order to just survive, after the window closes there's going to be many decent but unattached players desperate for a contract.

These free agents will be happy to take whatever contracts are offered, on reduced terms ...... just to stay in a job.
    Expect the free agent market to be busy in September.

• Options
    Oggy Red said:

This year, with so many clubs having cut their budget to their means in order to just survive, after the window closes there's going to be many decent but unattached players desperate for a contract.

These free agents will be happy to take whatever contracts are offered, on reduced terms ...... just to stay in a job.

I just hope our business is done by the time the window closes otherwise this thread will never end (well, until the January one).
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    Oggy Red said:

I just hope our business is done by the time the window closes otherwise this thread will never end (well, until the January one).
    So do I. 

Ideally, we need the squad all in place as soon as practical, certainly by the end of the window.
    But perhaps some budget will be kept in reserve for a free agent, if it enhances or strengthens the squad?

Even Chris Powell did that, signing Kermorgant well into September.

• Options
    Rothko said:
    Not turning out to be the summer rebuild we all thought. 

When I said that 5 weeks and more ago I got pelted. Something has changed since TS and NA made those claims . Realism may have bitten a bit. However it is strange only one player we were interested in January  time has been procured. 
    All very odd in a way because neither TS or NA are given to over statement. 
    Because we've got a different manager with a different footballing outlook. 

Jeez, it's not hard to think sometimes 

I made the exact same point two minutes before this yet I’ve got four fewer likes. Typical anti-Northern bias of this forum ffs. I’m quite literally sickened. Sickened! 

Do you really dip your chips in Gravy  AUN ?

This is not an euphemism and has no connection to Custard.

• Options

The sort of kids who on Christmas Day, they frown on opening a present because it's not as good as expected and put it to one side immediately and say, 'Can I open another one?'

The sort of kids who look at their opened presents and think, 'I wish I had richer parents.'
    You ok hun?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Jac_52 said:
    dickad1 said:
    J BLOCK said:
    aTS attending the Charlton golf day dinner this evening, I’m sure people will hear something.
    Fore new signings
    A fifth wanted £10k a week which was way out of bounds. 

Was firmly told that's too much wedge.  'If you like a big club you should go to Ipswich'  

New Senegalese centre back rumoured to be unveiled: Naby Par

A little birdie told me we could do better.
  • Options
    edited July 2021
    Jac_52 said:
    dickad1 said:
    J BLOCK said:
    aTS attending the Charlton golf day dinner this evening, I’m sure people will hear something.
    Fore new signings

Was firmly told that's too much wedge.  'If you like a big club you should go to Ipswich'  

Oh I heard it was a Scottish CB named Albert Ross
  • Options
    Jac_52 said:
    dickad1 said:
    J BLOCK said:
    Fore new signings

Maybe he should join the Eagles?
  • Options

You ok hun?
    Yes, sweetie pie.
  • Options
    ozaddick said:
    I had 450 posts to read this evening, hopeful for something of substance, but I'd thought I'd just have a quick glance at the last page, just in case.... 

I don't think I'll need to go back  and read the previous 448.... 

You are correct.
    No real rumours at the moment - nor imminent signings.
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!