Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Rumours Rumours - Summer 2021 edition (Deadline Day from p814)

Comments

• Options
    JOKERS ON HERE SAYING 2 MEDICALS TODAY… 
    You mean there’s more than 2?
  • Options
    My Mum had one today but she is 86 and not very mobile so I don’t think it’s her
    At the rate the women’s team are signing players I won’t be writing off her chances.
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Seeing as everyone loves to comment on Ipswich I'm going to add my 2 penneth.

I'd love to see what their spend is in comparison to the previous 5 or so years for league 1 clubs, particularly on wages. I imagine its way beyond the norm and not a sustainable way to run a 3rd tier club.

They're putting everything on getting promoted this season and whilst there is a very good chance its by no means guaranteed. What happens then if they don't go up. Do they throw a load more US pension fund money at it? Its like the imploding clubs of the Championship have gone straight over their heads.

When Sangaard took over I was more than happy just to have a stable, well run club and I still am. Yes his "blowing through the league"  comments may have been a little OTT but I bet he didn't expect the likes of Ipswich to be spending the sort of money they are and the market conditions to be so tough to operate in.

I want out of this division as much as the next man but I don't want to risk it all paying way over the top for players just to try and match what Ipswich or Wigan are doing.
    What is a sustainable way to run a league 1 club the size of Charlton or Ipswich?  People keep talking about it and never explain what they mean.

Ipswich's wage bill, at the moment, will be a fraction of what Sunderland's was in 2019, in fact I would guess its in the same ball park at the moment as ours was in 2019.

They have also sold players, and will sell more to help cover the cost.  They have signed Piggot and Fraser not Kane and KDB. 
    I couldn't given an explanation for that but I'm not sure 2019 wages are all that relevant in a post-COVID world where football finances are in a huge mess. I would guess that being sustainable is not paying 3rd tier players £10k a week. As I said great for them if they get promoted as their gamble pays off but what if it doesn't. League 1 incomes can't cover those types of wages so its back to a reliance on rich benefactors or pension funds to cover the costs. What if they then decide to pull the plug if they can't buy immediate success?
  • Options
    Replace “Charlton Twitter” with “CharltonLife Rumours Rumours”...
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:

I'd love to see what their spend is in comparison to the previous 5 or so years for league 1 clubs, particularly on wages. I imagine its way beyond the norm and not a sustainable way to run a 3rd tier club.

They're putting everything on getting promoted this season and whilst there is a very good chance its by no means guaranteed. What happens then if they don't go up. Do they throw a load more US pension fund money at it? Its like the imploding clubs of the Championship have gone straight over their heads.

When Sangaard took over I was more than happy just to have a stable, well run club and I still am. Yes his "blowing through the league"  comments may have been a little OTT but I bet he didn't expect the likes of Ipswich to be spending the sort of money they are and the market conditions to be so tough to operate in.

I want out of this division as much as the next man but I don't want to risk it all paying way over the top for players just to try and match what Ipswich or Wigan are doing.
    What is a sustainable way to run a league 1 club the size of Charlton or Ipswich?  People keep talking about it and never explain what they mean.

Ipswich's wage bill, at the moment, will be a fraction of what Sunderland's was in 2019, in fact I would guess its in the same ball park at the moment as ours was in 2019.

They have also sold players, and will sell more to help cover the cost.  They have signed Piggot and Fraser not Kane and KDB. 
    I couldn't given an explanation for that but I'm not sure 2019 wages are all that relevant in a post-COVID world where football finances are in a huge mess. I would guess that being sustainable is not paying 3rd tier players £10k a week. As I said great for them if they get promoted as their gamble pays off but what if it doesn't. League 1 incomes can't cover those types of wages so its back to a reliance on rich benefactors or pension funds to cover the costs. What if they then decide to pull the plug if they can't buy immediate success?
    For clubs like Charlton and Ipswich, League One is NOT sustainable. At all. With any model. That's the problem. Every year you're down here you're losing money.

The problem is that trying to spend big to fund a promotion is a big gamble, potentially literally win or bust. If Ipswich dont get up this season I genuinely don't know if they could afford to make another attempt or be forced to go for bargains and freebies.
  • Options
    edited July 2021
    Cafc43v3r said:

The reason 2019 is relevant is because I know what the wage bill was and there were crowds all season.  So it's the nearest you can get like for like.

No you can't pay loads of players 10k a week in league 1 indefinitely but the alternative isn't zero cost either.

They will have a hand full of players on 10ish k a week but they won't all be on that, most won't be on anything like that.  I would guess their total wage bill will come in somewhere in the region of 12 million quid.  Ours will probably be in the ball park of 8 or 9.  They have, or at least will have by the time the window closes, got in the region of 3 or 4 million plus in transfer fees.  Their total loses will probably be very similar to ours this year.

By investing in players they probably have 1 or 2 they can sell and repeat next summer.  If they have to. By not doing so, if our squad stayed the same, we would just book another 9 or so million loss and be in exactly the same place next season.

What do we do if Thomas pulls the plug because its more expensive than he thought?  You could say that about any of the 80 odd clubs that make a loss every year. 
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    CafcSteve said:
    NA and TS have very little to do with recruitment of the players .. NA will supply a list of targets to SG and his team and TS supplies the budget .. and that’s it then it’s down to SG to get the players in ..

we heard that last night NA could not give a definite answer about LB or Gomas because he has to speak to SG … 
    What’s happened to Maatsen mate as you’ve been saying for months now that he was returning?
    We have told Chelsea we want him
    back on loan .. but they want him to go to championship, if that don’t happen then expect him back at CAFC …. He is recovering from COVID 
    He has gone to Coventry..... Why are you still talking about it? 
    A promote worthy post.
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    I thought TS telling a fan last night that we'd sign players but not until the end of the window was a decent rumour but it seems to have gone unnoticed.

There’s even photo evidence of TS with a fan on the Facebook group.

Thomas obviously likes his Louis Vuitton, check out that bag and belt B)
    Camden Market.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    My Mum had one today but she is 86 and not very mobile so I don’t think it’s her
    Upgrade on pratley 
  • Options
    Watching the Adkins interview he wasn't his normal positive self, nothing really upbeat after drawing at a premiership club, think he isn't best too chuffed with Schwartz, and he is no longer doing his walking every morning. Maybe I am looking to much into it, maybe it is the Covid he is getting over, or maybe its where is this squad that are going to get us promoted and after the Hull game said "that will be us next year". If we are getting a bit frustrated imagine how he is feeling, especially with the women's team signing players left right and centre.
    Have the women's team actually signed many new players? Other than the one that arrived today, aren't they all existing players signing professional terms?
  • Options
    Wrexham offered her more money than we did
  • Options
    Jesus Christ I'll be bloody glad when the football is properly back just so I can read something else than this thread repeating itself again and again 
  • Options
    All I know is @ValleyGary has a 66% success rate with rumours. I think we should be turning to him for snippets of info.
  • Options

Fair chance of making the bench for the first game.
  • Options
    Any update on the re-signing of Floyd & Harvey?

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Jac_52 said:

SHIT WHERE'S BATMAN?!
    He's rubbin Robin up the wrong way!! B)
  • Options
    Hello covered end I just knew someone would come out with the 31st august window shuts, you of cause are correct, but by then we could be 12 points behind the front runners we don’t want that players coming in at the death not knowing players etc etc so that’s why I said 9 days get the team sorted!
  • Options
    Jac_52 said:

SHIT WHERE'S BATMAN?!
    He's rubbin Robin up the wrong way!! B)

• Options
    edited July 2021

• Options
    Macronate said:
    That’s a statement of intent signing if ever I’ve seen one because Ipswich, Morecambe and Wrexham were all in for her.
    genuine question - if a woman was good enough to play in one of the men's football leagues - would she be allowed to? (a yes no answer is fine. Please for the love of god, no spiraling down into gender politics)
  • Options
    I thought TS telling a fan last night that we'd sign players but not until the end of the window was a decent rumour but it seems to have gone unnoticed.

Not quite what he said unless it's a different guy.

"He said he’s speaking to players every day, but it’s the case of if it’s the right move for them. His words were most transfers will be on deadline day."
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!