Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Rumours Rumours - Summer 2021 edition (Deadline Day from p814)

Comments

• Options
    Defoe £35k a week - he’ll be playing for Bournemouth next season in the champ 
  • Options
    J BLOCK said:
    J BLOCK said:
    Addick_8 said:
    J BLOCK said:
    Max Power a decent player ...
    Only 27 years old as well.
    The type of player we should be targeting. 
    Player being released by Sunderland? No thanks.
    What the captain of a team that finished 4th in the league we are trying to get out off? 
    Max Power would be a good signing for us at this level.

Yes, a player released by a team that didn't get past the Play off's semi's. 
    Wait til you hear about the players Curbishley used to sign from relegated teams, or the players Powell signed from League One relegated sides and non-league
    Different era 
    How is it any different now though? There are lots of very good players throughout leagues 1 and 2. Just look at some of those Crewe players that completely played us off the park. Are they not good enough because they didn't finish in the top 2? I'm really not quite sure who you are expecting us to sign.
  • Options
    J BLOCK said:
    J BLOCK said:
    Addick_8 said:
    J BLOCK said:
    What the captain of a team that finished 4th in the league we are trying to get out off? 

Wait til you hear about the players Curbishley used to sign from relegated teams, or the players Powell signed from League One relegated sides and non-league
    Different era 
    So where are you saying signings should come from?
  • Options
    My only concern about a player like Power is WHY Sunderland are letting him go. It's not as if they wanted him to stay, but couldn't agree terms. Or he's only leaving because of a major bust up with his manager. 

Completely different to the likes of Taylor, Lockyer, Hollands etc where it was the player choosing to leave at the end of his contract 
  • Options
    My only concern about a player like Power is WHY Sunderland are letting him go. It's not as if they wanted him to stay, but couldn't agree terms. Or he's only leaving because of a major bust up with his manager. 

Completely different to the likes of Taylor, Lockyer, Hollands etc where it was the player choosing to leave at the end of his contract 
    Could be a number of reasons.....

- On high wages & his agent had said he wont take less

- Johnson doesn't rate him 

- too old & want to bring average age of team down 

• Options
    I think the thing is to judge the player, not his age, his former club or his hairstyle.

Only height matters.

Innis raised a few eyebrows on here due to him playing at a lower level and his previous off the field activities but has proved a big success (when fit)
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    J BLOCK said:
    J BLOCK said:
    Addick_8 said:
    J BLOCK said:

Different era 
    So football has changed so dramatically in ten years that signing a player from a team that finished 4th in the league we're in is now bad, but signing a player from a non-league team, or a player who was in a team that got relegated, or a player from a team that finished 17th or 15th back then was great. Must have been because we got 101 points.
    I mean, obviously that's insane, but how about a closer 'era'? In 2017/18 Wimbledon finished 18th. Should never have gone near Lyle on that basis. My memory is he did ok though. Who should we be aiming for instead? Top Championship players? League One players who just got promoted? Over the years we've picked up so many great players who left their club when their contract expired or were unwanted at their club and went on to do well for us. Ruling players out based on having a quick squint at the table is ridiculous.
    Based on the player not being deemed worthy of another contract at another league one team. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    If Sunderland don’t want him, then we shouldn’t either 
  • Options

Could be a number of reasons.....

- On high wages & his agent had said he wont take less

- Johnson doesn't rate him 

- too old & want to bring average age of team down 

I'd be inclined to take this as a positive if that was the case. Power would be a brilliant squad player
  • Options
    Lyle Taylor was on our released list last year...

Was that because we didnt want him? 
  • Options
    I know fans can be wrong, but the Sunderland fans were praying that Power was on the released list. I really don't think we'll be interested in him.
  • Options
    I know fans can be wrong, but the Sunderland fans were praying that Power was on the released list. I really don't think we'll be interested in him.
    This
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    J BLOCK said:
    J BLOCK said:
    Addick_8 said:
    J BLOCK said:

Different era 
    So football has changed so dramatically in ten years that signing a player from a team that finished 4th in the league we're in is now bad, but signing a player from a non-league team, or a player who was in a team that got relegated, or a player from a team that finished 17th or 15th back then was great. Must have been because we got 101 points.
    I mean, obviously that's insane, but how about a closer 'era'? In 2017/18 Wimbledon finished 18th. Should never have gone near Lyle on that basis. My memory is he did ok though. Who should we be aiming for instead? Top Championship players? League One players who just got promoted? Over the years we've picked up so many great players who left their club when their contract expired or were unwanted at their club and went on to do well for us. Ruling players out based on having a quick squint at the table is ridiculous.
    Do you have an opinion the player himself? Have you seen him play or have Sunderland fans as friends who can give you their view. 

I have, and the feedback is less than positive, this coupled with the fact he’s been released, is why we shouldn’t go for a player like him IMO.

• Options
    Like to see if we sign anymore non league projects like Bonne this season
  • Options
    Sheffield Wednesday didn't want Michael Morrison. Leicester didn't want Yann. You can't just write off a player based on what his current club thinks, players regularly go on to do better elsewhere. Just ask Simon Francis. Do we even know that Sunderland don't want him, or did he just have no intention of signing a new deal?
    Of course if a player is released it doesn’t mean they’re a dud, but in this case if Sunderland don’t want him - is he really want we need?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    J BLOCK said:
    J BLOCK said:
    J BLOCK said:
    Addick_8 said:
    J BLOCK said:

Different era 
    Do you have an opinion the player himself? Have you seen him play or have Sunderland fans as friends who can give you their view. 

I have, and the feedback is less than positive, this coupled with the fact he’s been released, is why we shouldn’t go for a player like him IMO.

Well see, now we’re talking about something completely different. I’ve watched him play, he’s decent and he looks like a player who would benefit from a move. There’s no indication we’re in for him but if Adkins decided he wanted him I wouldn’t be upset. That’s entirely my point though; we should be judging players on their individual merits, not the fact they played for a team that didn’t win the play offs, or the fact a team is releasing them
    That and his tattoos
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    Edited - gone of topic.
  • Options
    Sheffield Wednesday didn't want Michael Morrison. Leicester didn't want Yann. You can't just write off a player based on what his current club thinks, players regularly go on to do better elsewhere. Just ask Simon Francis. Do we even know that Sunderland don't want him, or did he just have no intention of signing a new deal?
    Of course if a player is released it doesn’t mean they’re a dud, but in this case if Sunderland don’t want him - is he really want we need?
    That's a very limited way of looking at it though. Shinnie for example absolutely has the quality and class for a promotion challenging team but he doesn't fit Adkins' preferred style/model of play. Pratley is probably still good enough to be a destroyer/anchor in a top 6 midfield but we wanted to bring down the squad age as a whole and can't shift Watson.

They're both good players but we're still letting them go for valid reasons. Good players get released, especially in the post-Covid reality of League One.
  • Options
    Addick_8 said:
    J BLOCK said:

From what I've seen their fans seem happy he's gone.

O'Nien is being linked with Portsmouth apparently.
    Pompey will have a smaller budget than this season. 
  • Options
    The nature of contracts has changed so much in recent years and Covid has on increased that.

At the level we and Sunderland are now operating two years is a long deal, budgets are reduced, player, manager and owner churn is constant and that means lots of decent players available every summer as clubs and players try to get the best deals
  • Options
    Sorry if this ones been posted before.

• Options
    We don’t know what the budget is but we do know that it’s a budget that the owner expects to deliver promotion. TS obviously defers the identification of targets to the team manager who will be supported by Gallen and the management team. They have to deliver otherwise it’s a failure. Anything other than promotion will be viewed as failure. 
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!