Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Post-match Thread: Charlton v Wigan — 21/8/2021

Comments

• Options
    No. It was left in a van that some Belgian bloke used as a getaway vehicle.
  • Options
    Dare I say it but the reason we have lost today is more because Albi  is not there yet more than any other single reason.

He tries hard but he lacks confidence at creative midfield play and should have been substituted much earlier on. It’s more a case of keeping him on to give him confidence than anything else and that’s never a good move. Not a great lover of bowyer but he would’ve pulled him off at half-time. The trouble is who do you put on instead of him? We have no Josh Cullen or Jake Forster-Caskey right now.
  • Options
    Gribbo said:
    Only Fools And Horses is on Gold at the moment. Cheer yourselves up. For me the perfect antidote.
    It ain't the one where Del want Rodney to keep putting the same equation into the calculator in order to get a different answer is it?
    That was One Door Closes 
  • Options
    Dare I say it but the reason we have lost today is more because Albi  is not there yet more than any other single reason.

He tries hard but he lacks confidence at creative midfield play and should have been substituted much earlier on. It’s more a case of keeping him on to give him confidence than anything else and that’s never a good move. Not a great lover of bowyer but he would’ve pulled him off at half-time. The trouble is who do you put on instead of him? We have no Josh Cullen or Jake Forster-Caskey right now.
    He's mainly fucked after 60/70mins but who could he have bought on today in place of him
  • Options
    It seems odd that the club appear to have accepted losing in the hope of some points/ sacrificed a certain amount of games to possibly gamble on recruitment. We really haven’t looked like winning one game so far, I can’t see how Adkins is accepting of this when it is blindingly obvious, even to us mere mortals that the team as it is isn’t going to do what is needed. I really feel for the fans as a good number have committed both financially and vocally with understandable optimism. And yet here we are. I don’t think it’s anything sinister, but I am feeling there’s been a bit of a fuck up somewhere.🤷🏻‍♂️
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    all in all bottom league one side. Morgen/Dobson league 2 players if that
  • Options
    "The definition of madness is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result" Einstein 

Except for when you're playing Tipping point.
  • Options
    To be fair to Morgan, we were at home and you should have one holding midfielder and two attacking ones playing our formation. One of them ought to be occupying the space Morgan is/was and let him play higher. He is basically being asked to do too much and it isn't a given he can play the role with more help. He isn't to blame for not being the finished article. 
    He isn’t good enough full stop. We also shouldn’t be hoping he learns on the job after lots of failed chances to impress, particularly in a team hoping for promotion. He wouldn’t be even close to 1st team football in any other promotion chasing side, and yet we seem to be pinning our hopes on him.( not me I may add, never have and never will). I sadly no longer hang on to the hope he proves me wrong as I don’t see it happening.😬
  • Options
    Gribbo said:
    Thought the overall performance was lacklustre and the final ball woeful 

Did I hear Minto right re' - it looked like 2 very good League 1 sides?
    No - it was it looked like 1 very good league 2 side.
  • Options
    Amos had little or nothing to do.

Cousins who’s average at best, didn’t even look like he broke a sweat.

And McClean comes on to a chorus of boos and scores.

We are mugs, and absolute mug of a football club at times aren’t we.  
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    Believe it or not, I am not turning on Sandgaard. He has either made an error of judgement or doesn't have the money to walk the walk. I hope it is the former as it is probably easier to correct. But ultimately, he did rid us of ESI and they would have killed us.

The problem we have to accept is that there are potential buyers out there but not at the price Duchatelet wants. Sandgaard may be the only one willing to take us on with that mad weasel still owning the assets. Hopefully he has the ability to affect this. It isn't too late.
  • Options
    "The definition of madness is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result" Einstein 
  • Options
    I’m mr positive. Fuck off adkins and your shitty walks. 4 defeats in 5. Time to go
    Disaster of a start. But wanting the manager to go after 4 league games and 1 in the cup is ridiculous. 
    If he's not allowed to bring in quality players this is what happens & it wouldn't matter who was manager. I'm sure TS knows what is best for us. :D
  • Options
    I defy anyone to show me a squad of the past that is worse than this . How have they let it get this bad ? 
    That second season in league one under Parkinson. That was some shit team.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    MattF said:

This made me laugh. Thank you
  • Options
    MattF said:

Cheers me up on a bad day, thanks. 
  • Options
    colthe3rd said:
    So I'll try and give a take on the actual game rather than just moan about the situation.

Some positives, well at least not negatives. MacGillivray definitely shut a number of people up, some great saves and if it were not for him then it could have been a lot worse. Only real criticism of him is he seems a bit hesitant in coming out for it, similar to Amos really.

Watson had one of his better games for us, some nice passing and reading of the game. Dobson looked better but he definitely is limited with the ball at his feet. Kirk showed some of his quality but I felt so sorry for him having no wing back to help him out, his game is clearly to cut inside a lot but that threat is completely nullified by having no wing back on the overlap.

I'm not going to keep having a pop about Morgan, he's clearly trying his best but just doesn't quite have it. My one remaining question is why is he still on set pieces? Do we really have no one else any better?

I didn't understand those who kept calling for 442, we don't have the players to even attempt it, if you think throwing on an extra striker and expecting our wingers to suddenly start creating enough then you must be watching another team because we certainly aren't going to create anything through the middle. We did move to a sort of 442 at the end but it was clearly a hail mary from Adkins, nothing was being created with what we have. In the end it maybe cost us a point but I guess had he not changed things there's be some calling him out for it.
    The problem was when we went to 442, we needed to play hoofball. Morgan was probably the player to come off and the midfield's job ought to have been a defensive one whilst being bypassed for our attacks. It still probably wouldn't have worked though. It is a question of personnel at the end of the day.
  • Options
    We were very lucky to go in 0-0 at half time. Wigan could have been 0-3 up at that point. We started brightly in the second half and put more into the game. But we didn't create too many chances and didn't play with any great imagination. Bit early to be pessimistic, but we don't look good enough to do much at this level and a run of results like this (and our other opening games) could send us down even if we recover later. Margins are tight. We need to bring in a couple of quality players before 31st August. Where's Ronnie Schwartz when you need him?
  • Options
    mogodon said:
    Just out of interest, how many players short do people think we are of being a decent side for this division 
    1) Macgillivray
    2) Matthews or Gunter
    3) NEW
    4) NEW DCM
    5) Inniss
    6) Famewo (but need another option to keep them on their toes)
    7) NEW CM
    8) NEW ACM
    9) Kirk
    10) Stockley
    11) NEW WINGER

5 starters plus two or three strong options to push them from the bench.

Clare and Dobson should be squad players along with Watson. Don’t know enough on CBT but will continue to assume a squad option. 
  • Options
    PWR
    replace Morgan with a top no10 and sort left back position out and our season will get up and running
    simples!!!
  • Options
    redman said:
    BigDiddy said:
    CAFCTrev said:
    LoOkOuT said:
    Trust that the recruitment team is working hard to address the obvious weaknesses. 
    Theyve had since the end of last season!
    There is NO MONEY - a few last minute loans, just like the Tranmere [league 3] reject we got yesterday. TS is happy with this set up.
    We have so far spent £2m on transfers. Bowyer could only dream of that sort of investment! 

redman said:
    J BLOCK said:
    People blaming Adkins are mad, it’s TS who has the cheque book and he’s given us a budget that gets us Dobson and Clare. Can’t describe how pissed off I am. 
    TS has given us a bigger budget than most teams. Very few have spent as much money as us. Stockley £750k (outbidding Portsmouth) £500k on Kirk and others. 
    As for Dobson and Clare, I'm not sure who signed them but in case you didn't notice Clare didn't play today!
    Tactics were dreadful. That was our biggest downfall
    You keep spouting there figures. And then are wrong.

Firstly, the transfers are usually "undisclosed" so you have no more knowledge then anyone else. I believe the figures knocking about for Stockley was less than £500k....£400k I remember being quoted on here over the summer. Kirk we believe had a release clause of £500k.....but againt hat has never been stated publicly. Clare from Oxford was in the region of £100k if Robinson can be believed.....and I think Dobson was released from his contract.

So I reckon £1m is about the right figure.

• Options
    My observations from the ground were that we didn’t appear to have any movement in the team. 

When we had the ball at the back there was no-one showing for the ball and moving their markers out of position.  

So we went side to side and invariably failed to retain the ball or hoofed it long. 

Throw ins were like musical statues. 

We badly miss a player to keep the midfield ticking . Picking the ball up from the back for , playing one two’s - just being in the right place at the right time. 

Our Full backs today hardly got into the oppo half. 

We have no pace across the side. 

Positives - Kirk looked dangerous . Stockley tried hard but has no gas , keeper made 4 really good saves. 

All is not lost , but something is definitely wrong behind the scenes. 

Gallen and Bowyer had a succession of decent signings with a small budget from RD, so what is so different now ? Ok they also had some ropey ones as well, but we haven’t seen players if the Calibre of Cullen , Gallagher , Bilik etc 

Perhaps players would to move to play under Bowyer but maybe not Adkins ? 

Did TS a think that he would retain last years players when he made his upbeat comments about promotion ? 

I don’t know what’s up , but something isn’t right.