Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Post-match Thread: Charlton v Wigan — 21/8/2021

Comments

• Options
    redman said:
    J BLOCK said:
    People blaming Adkins are mad, it’s TS who has the cheque book and he’s given us a budget that gets us Dobson and Clare. Can’t describe how pissed off I am. 
    TS has given us a bigger budget than most teams. Very few have spent as much money as us. Stockley £750k (outbidding Portsmouth) £500k on Kirk and others. 
    As for Dobson and Clare, I'm not sure who signed them but in case you didn't notice Clare didn't play today!
    Tactics were dreadful. That was our biggest downfall
    Clare was injured I think mate
  • Options
    The last premiership team to name a starting team numbered 1 to 11 before Burnley today?

Charlton in 1998.
    I should have opened the football facts thread before posting that.
  • Options
    Bailey said:
    Could be time for this to hang above the Directors box again. 
    What a cock, three defeats in seven days and you are comparing Sandgard to the Belgian lunatic. You amaze me Raplh with the amount of sheer tosh you manage to put on here. 
    Thanks very much for your deep analysis of my postings. As for my volume of Tosh, could you let me have some specific examples.  My point which may have gone over your head, is I believe the blame lies in the Directors box, and slagging the players and to an extent Adkins is unfair. 
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    Really, really bad. We only came close to scoring once when Kirk was unlucky not to get good contact after Stockley played it across goal.

There were positives in that I thought Kirk looked exciting and McG had a great game but really 2-0 flattered us and it could've been 4 or 5.

Gunter had an awful game yet again. Dobson needs to massively up it. Albie leaves Stockley isolated and DJ wasn't as effective as he was at times against MK.

I would really like to understand exactly what is going on behind the scenes and why we're not bringing in decent players. If the squad doesn't look drastically different in 10 days time then we've simply no hope this season - honestly you can write it off because the damage will be done by the time January rolls around.
  • Options
    This team is so poor, 4 games in and not looking like creating any sort of chances no game plan compared to last season, hoof to Stockley and hope he can work miracles. Midfield is so weak, I’ve said it before Morgan is not good enough, he’s been around for long enough to have proved himself by now and just cannot step up to this level. It’s just plain sad and upsetting really after such a positive end to last season. Sandgaard needs to make some big decisions and fast.
  • Options
    Looks like we're giving everyone concerned, who may or may not be at fault, ANOTHER season to sort it out then

Deep joy lol
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Btw Wigan looked decent. Think Wyke is better than a lot give him credit for (mainly Sunderland fans) and Will Keane looked a good player. As did James McClean - I know a lot of people don't like him but he bossed it when he came on.

Word for Ben Amos taking the banter from the Covered End well too - can't believe we didn't test him at all.
  • Options
    CAFCTrev said:
    We went for the three points at the death 
    Did we?
    Well we tried to by going 442. But all that meant was that Morgan and Watson in the midfield got overrun. The new boy could not hold the ball ( big surprise for a league 2 reject)
    Our best spell came before that when Kirk and Morgan swapped places, we created 3 decent chances with Albie out on the left and Kirk behind him.
  • Options
    Mission Impossible train crash filming…Pretty apt day to do it 
    What a beauty 
  • Options
    BigDiddy said:
    CAFCTrev said:
    LoOkOuT said:
    Trust that the recruitment team is working hard to address the obvious weaknesses. 
    Theyve had since the end of last season!
    There is NO MONEY - a few last minute loans, just like the Tranmere [league 3] reject we got yesterday. TS is happy with this set up.
    We have so far spent £2m on transfers. Bowyer could only dream of that sort of investment! 
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    Btw Wigan looked decent. Think Wyke is better than a lot give him credit for (mainly Sunderland fans) and Will Keane looked a good player. As did James McClean - I know a lot of people don't like him but he bossed it when he came on.

Word for Ben Amos taking the banter from the Covered End well too - can't believe we didn't test him at all.
    I wasn't hopeful of testing him. As for criticism of Golfie or any of us who were calling this before the season started, we all want Charlton to win. We say what we do because that is how we see it and criticism and ridicule is only valid if we are proven wrong. I said there were no goals in the team and amazingly I was right. But it isn't insightful football knowledge on my part, you can wiki our team and see it for yourself. Add up the games and average out the goals.
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    I’d be very interested to see a Venn diagram of people who simultaneously thought Bowyer wasn’t good enough and that we could do much better than JFC, Millar, Maatsen, etc. 

We’re crap. We’re not going to get much better even with 5 new additions. Top 2 seems to be impossible already, we’re realistically fighting for 6th. 

I don’t even want to go and support this team, there’s not a single player that I’m passionate about. If season ticket refunds where being handed out now, I’d be very tempted.
  • Options
    Crowd was bloody immense for most the game. 
    WFH, too many takeaways and a lack of exercise probably to blame for that 
  • Options
    redman said:
    BigDiddy said:
    CAFCTrev said:
    LoOkOuT said:
    Trust that the recruitment team is working hard to address the obvious weaknesses. 
    Theyve had since the end of last season!
    There is NO MONEY - a few last minute loans, just like the Tranmere [league 3] reject we got yesterday. TS is happy with this set up.
    We have so far spent £2m on transfers. Bowyer could only dream of that sort of investment! 
    Bollocks

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    On the plus side, the Blackheath tea hut is back. Apparently. 
  • Options
    I actually thought barring one or two bad touches Watson didn’t have a bad game at all. 
    The problem is our defensive unit do approximately 89:59 of the game defending rather than having any mental and physical rest while we keep possession and attack. Evident when they brought on subs and ran us ragged. Hard enough for a 21 year old let alone pensioner Watson. 

Morgan is not the answer. I feel a bit sorry for him but at the level we are aspiring for he is tactically and positionally inept. 
    Kirk actually had a go for a goal and I felt the first half we didn’t get him in the game as much as we should have. 

All this drooling over Ipswich but Wigan have gone big and should be challenging automatics with the team they’ve put together. 
  • Options

Wyke has been a good player at this level for years. 
  • Options

I wasn't hopeful of testing him. As for criticism of Golfie or any of us who were calling this before the season started, we all want Charlton to win. We say what we do because that is how we see it and criticism and ridicule is only valid if we are proven wrong. I said there were no goals in the team and amazingly I was right. But it isn't insightful football knowledge on my part, you can wiki our team and see it for yourself. Add up the games and average out the goals.
    I agree with you and Golfie and others, the team as it stands has proved to not be good enough. 

Everyone could look at the numbers and see how players had performed in the past but that’s not always the best indicator of future performance. 

I was willing to wait a few games to see how we got on before sticking the boot in and I don’t think there’s anything wrong with that approach.

Well done on calling it right re: goal threat before this season started. What I will say to that is that many of the same people were saying the same stuff last summer and we turned out to be one of the best goalscoring teams.
  • Options
    Scoham said:

Got to say that out of those who seem to be in the firing line at the moment (so to speak) i.e.

- Adkins

- T S

- Gallen and / or Roddy

- The players.

I've got most sympathy with Adkins. Even though it is always expected to fall the manager to face the fans and look for the excuses, I generally don't think he's completely, or even a little bit to blame. Bow had the excuses after working under ESI etc (Which I personally think he enjoyed due to the low expectations), but Adkins has come in under a rookie owner and a seemingly disjointed management set up, so I don't think his position is anymore easier or straight forward than that Bow enjoyed. Obviously he has made tactical mistakes with what he’s got, but surely you can only really judge him when he's been given a bit of a war chest and the freedom to make his own mistakes?