Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Post-match Thread: Charlton v Wigan — 21/8/2021

Comments

• Options
    edited August 2021
    Deserved to lose that! Some of our fans today were embarrassing but I understand the reaction and if those players on the pitch showed the same passion, we’d be in a better place. We’re not even huff and puff, we’re just meh!! Shambles, need a quality in just to have a glimmer of competing this season. 
  • Options
    Btw Wigan looked decent. Think Wyke is better than a lot give him credit for (mainly Sunderland fans) and Will Keane looked a good player. As did James McClean - I know a lot of people don't like him but he bossed it when he came on.

Word for Ben Amos taking the banter from the Covered End well too - can't believe we didn't test him at all.
    I wasn't hopeful of testing him. As for criticism of Golfie or any of us who were calling this before the season started, we all want Charlton to win. We say what we do because that is how we see it and criticism and ridicule is only valid if we are proven wrong. I said there were no goals in the team and amazingly I was right. But it isn't insightful football knowledge on my part, you can wiki our team and see it for yourself. Add up the games and average out the goals.
    I agree with you and Golfie and others, the team as it stands has proved to not be good enough. 

Everyone could look at the numbers and see how players had performed in the past but that’s not always the best indicator of future performance. 

I was willing to wait a few games to see how we got on before sticking the boot in and I don’t think there’s anything wrong with that approach.

Well done on calling it right re: goal threat before this season started. What I will say to that is that many of the same people were saying the same stuff last summer and we turned out to be one of the best goalscoring teams.
    I wasn't. I called it this summer. I honestly was waiting for the Aneke signature before I bought my season ticket. It was a worrying sign when we didn't seem to go all out to get him. I also was worried that JFC thought we were being tight and there was a feeling that I hoped was wrong that we were not shaping up like a team that was going to challenge. 

I said I would wait and worry about it after the Euros and I have been waiting ever since. Kirk was a decent signing but currently our midfield has no goals and little creativity in it which makes it easier for defenders to stop our front players. You put JFC and Gilbey in that team and we would be much higher. It is bad luck losing them but we knew we had lost them a while ago and we have gone into the season too toothless. 
  • Options
    supaclive said:
    redman said:
    BigDiddy said:
    CAFCTrev said:
    LoOkOuT said:
    Trust that the recruitment team is working hard to address the obvious weaknesses. 
    Theyve had since the end of last season!
    There is NO MONEY - a few last minute loans, just like the Tranmere [league 3] reject we got yesterday. TS is happy with this set up.
    We have so far spent £2m on transfers. Bowyer could only dream of that sort of investment! 
    Bollocks

Are you saying we haven't spent £2m or are you saying Bowyer had it. If so which season?
    Or are you just venting at me for no reason? 
    Has to be 1 of the 3. 
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    Can’t even be bothered to be pissed off with it. Nice to go to a live game and see some old faces, but that’s about it. Until we start taking the player requirement seriously we haven’t got a hope in hell. 
  • Options
    This sounds incredibly odd and strange. Makes zero sense.

More off field drama expected.

It's heartbreaking really. I just don't get it.

Are we permanently internally toxic?

Obviously not, but not sure what to believe now.
  • Options
    Adkins must have thought better than Shinnie was coming in because it is looking increasingly stupid letting him go. 
    From memory Adkins didn't play him at the end of last season. My conclusion is he either didn't rate him or didn't want that type of player. Could be wrong 
  • Options
    redman said:
    supaclive said:
    redman said:
    BigDiddy said:
    CAFCTrev said:
    LoOkOuT said:
    Trust that the recruitment team is working hard to address the obvious weaknesses. 
    Theyve had since the end of last season!
    There is NO MONEY - a few last minute loans, just like the Tranmere [league 3] reject we got yesterday. TS is happy with this set up.
    We have so far spent £2m on transfers. Bowyer could only dream of that sort of investment! 
    Bollocks

Are you saying we haven't spent £2m or are you saying Bowyer had it. If so which season?
    Or are you just venting at me for no reason? 
    Has to be 1 of the 3. 
    It's okay pointing out that £2m has been spent, but was it spent correctly and is it even enough?
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    Well, we've had no red cards this season. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited August 2021
    It isn't just about spending money. Duchatelet would have done a lot better giving Powell half the money he spent and let him get on with it. He was a clueless owner that thought he knew it.

If you are going to do what Brentford have done, you have to get the right players and they have to earn their place in the team. You just don't put them in because they are young and have potential. It may not be Sandgaard's plan, he may simply have money problems, but you maintain the strength of the squad at least as a starting point and the young players earn their places.
  • Options

Insanity Is Doing the Same Thing Over and Over Again and Expecting Different Results

• Options
    The problem lays somewhere. It’s either Adkins or Sandgaard surely. Has Sandgaard been given bad advice on the recruitment? Has he been told no need to splash the cash so he hasn’t? Or, has Adkins been pushing for the money but Sandgaard has been pushing back thinking it wasn’t necessary? Either way we have to hope Sandgaard smells the coffee and changes his approach. Otherwise we’re right back in the mess again. Even at this late stage, 3 or 4 decent signings would make us competitive but is TS prepared to spend the money? The next few days will tell us. And when I say decent signings I mean genuinely decent signings not ones that have been bigged up by Adkins, Sandgaard and Gallen. Personally I’m not blaming Gallen but he has been jumping on the positivity bandwagon when talking about the players. That’s his job I suppose. 
  • Options
    Anyone saying it was an even game are deluded. Wigan could have had 3 in the first half. Once again the visiting keeper does not have a shot to save. Hopeless and clueless 
  • Options
    Says it all that We have got one point from four games and we have more points than we deserve. 
  • Options
    It was even in terms of stats. They had more quality in the final third which meant they were more dangerous whereas we just hit and hoped and didn't get bodies forward. But the game was even if you discount that. We even had spells when we were on top. 
  • Options
    Was so excited for this season under a ‘normal’ owner and fans back in the ground. Completely deflated and won’t be ruining my weekend next week. Knowing we have no chance of promotion after 4 games is utterly depressing.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I think Sandgaard has seriously underestimated league one. 
    He thought he could put a successful squad together on the cheap. 
    I know it's only 4 games in but I doubt we will strengthen sufficiently in the next week or so to challenge at the top.
    We can only hope he learns from this and next season he invests enough to challenge. 
    It's going to cost him a small fortune in league one as he is now discovering. 
    It's not new to him though, he was here last season.

He must have been well aware that every year in this division he will lose a lot of money, and that's even before we've bought anyone.

• Options
    I’d like to hit over the head whoever is responsible for this squad with Sandgaards guitar, like Jeff Jarrett.
  • Options
    Bailey said:
    Could be time for this to hang above the Directors box again. 
    What a cock, three defeats in seven days and you are comparing Sandgard to the Belgian lunatic. You amaze me Raplh with the amount of sheer tosh you manage to put on here. 
    Thanks very much for your deep analysis of my postings. As for my volume of Tosh, could you let me have some specific examples.  My point which may have gone over your head, is I believe the blame lies in the Directors box, and slagging the players and to an extent Adkins is unfair. 
    Its the comparison you use Raplh, are you seriously suggesting there is a comparison ? We know Charlton need at least six players, we haven't entered the loan transfer window yet, there is ten days left to do so. Dutchelet and Sandgard are certainly not the same animal. Time will tell but I hope you come on here and at least call this one out as wrong.
  • Options
    Two players in of the right quality and it will look a lot better. Until they get injured. But we are running out of time and ideally we need 4 or 5.
  • Options
    TEL said:
    We are not very good. 

We can't play 433 with the midfield and full backs we currently have in the squad. 

Adkins needs to have a rethink. 

Expansive flowing football is great if you have the players to do so, but we just don't have the quality. 

Famewo, Stockley and Kirk played well. Keeper was better this game. 

The rest, blah

Best we can hope for at the moment is to play 442.
    I've been a fan of Famewo- but today I thought he was beaten to most of the headers by either Wyke or Keane? Especially 1st half. Don't understand how Innis and Fame aren't  doing as well this season, last season they were so assured when playing together.
    Agree that Stockley and Kirk did well (maybe Kirk should have scored?). As for McGilvaray he was excellent,  3 close range saves and also that bullet from Morgan in 1st half.
  • Options
    Do we still have a laundry basket at the club?
  • Options
    Only Fools And Horses is on Gold at the moment. Cheer yourselves up. For me the perfect antidote.
    It ain't the one where Del want Rodney to keep putting the same equation into the calculator in order to get a different answer is it?
  • Options
    Not long home. I really hope we're chasing a creative midfielder because we have nothing in the middle of the park at the moment, Morgan isn't anywhere near good enough to be a starter. Bonkers to give him the number 10 shirt. 

TS needs to change his approach and quickly, but I can't see that happening unfortunately. He seems the stubborn type.