Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Being called a racist on Saturday.

In all of my life I have been insulted by someone in all of my life, in which has left me lost for words. I took my daughter to the first game at the Valley on Saturday. In the second half we went to sit with her grandad in block A of the North Stand. 
Half way through the second half my daughter wanted to go to the toilet, in which I took her, and said i would wait on the steps for her. I wasn't at the top of the steps, it was a case of half way down, where I was trying to keep an eye on the game, at this point there was NO steward on the steps. Now i am going to break this down in what was said during this period.

After 30 seconds I hear this voice
" MOVE", Steward.
Sorry? I reply,
"Move off the stairs" SD
"Ok mate i am just waiting for my daughter who is in the toilet" WIWLB  which is directly opposite me.
"What you going to do hit me?" SD
I was totally taken aback by this comment.
"What are you talking about ?" WIWLB
"You were going to hit me" SD
"Get out of my face" SD

I was standing one side of the tunnel and he was on the other, by now i am totally dumbstruck at what i am hearing, where i take the guys number down. 
The steward goes to the top of the stairs and says "What is your problem ? is it because your team is not winning?"

"You are not for real, what are you talking about i am only waiting for my daughter".

With that my daughter who is 12 appears and the steward then comes back towards and says the following "your racist.. your nothing but a racist"

In this current climate to call someone racist is a very very statement. To say it to someone who has done nothing wrong and then in front of their child it is totally unacceptable.

We sort the head steward and told him what had happened, and whilst doing so the steward walked past and began a level of abuse to both my father who is 78 and myself again. 

When my father asked when he was going to "punch him" the steward replied well his face looked like he was going to

He then asked what the F**k has it got to do with him

The senior steward then told him to move on apologised, however this steward just kept coming back, in the end other stewards had to push him away where he then began to shout at them to get there hands of him.

Yes it proved the man he was, but one thing I totally object are these outrageous accusations, in which I would just ignore, however being accused of threatening someone, getting in their face, but more alarmingly calling me a racist for no reason is not acceptable, but in front of my daughter is sickening, and left my daughter shaken.

Comments

• Options
    JaShea99 said:
    Er, what??
    That is what my reaction was first of all
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    JaShea99 said:
    So many questions. But firstly (and I’m sure you were completely innocent here), if you’ve been insulted all your life, is there anything you can think of that you might be doing to bring that on yourself? Not that that’s any justification of course.
    A simple no............i have been no angel in life, however i would never in a million years have done any of these accusations on Saturday. If you threatened to punch a steward, my racist remarks to him do you think that it would be reported and would have been arrested ? 

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Any witnesses? I’m not doubting this is an accurate account of events but if you have someone who can corroborate your version, then your complaint will have greater credence 
  • Options
    edited August 2021
  • Options
    _MrDick said:
    Any witnesses? I’m not doubting this is an accurate account of events but if you have someone who can corroborate your version, then your complaint will have greater credence 
    The only witness to the racist comment is when my daughter appeared as we walked up the stairs and the stewards was saying your "racist"..classy 
  • Options
    What's WIWLB?
  • Options
    What's WIWLB?
    WhenIWasLittleB*gger ? 
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    Are you saying the steward was standing on one side of the stairs and you chose to stand level with him, blocking/partially blocking the stairs?
    He asked you not to block/partially block the stairs, but you refused, because you wanted to stay there to wait for your daughter, whilst watching the game?
    I'm not saying you did because what you are saying is not clear, but that's the way it reads to me.
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    Leuth said:
    Kinda want the other side to this story
    Why?

Do you find it hard to believe that someone was wrongly accused of racism or are you suggesting WIWLB did do something racist?

comes across quite shitty imo 
    Maybe not the other side to it so much as knowing how it actually went down. I suppose we have to take the narrator at his word and it does seem like the steward may have reacted based on historical associations rather than the reality of the situation, but if I started on about microaggressions we'd be here all day so
    Historical associations ? I have never seen the steward in my life, and don't eves sit in this block, went there for the second half so the kids can see their grandad. 

For the record i will swear on my kids life that the events are 100 per cent true, and i would welcome a sit down with the club, steward, his employee to get the facts put in place. The stigma that someone can call you racist when you haven't done nothing doesn't sit right with me, and the proof was in your initial response. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Leuth said:
    Leuth said:
    Kinda want the other side to this story
    Why?

Do you find it hard to believe that someone was wrongly accused of racism or are you suggesting WIWLB did do something racist?

comes across quite shitty imo 
    Maybe not the other side to it so much as knowing how it actually went down. I suppose we have to take the narrator at his word and it does seem like the steward may have reacted based on historical associations rather than the reality of the situation, but if I started on about microaggressions we'd be here all day so
    Which 'historical associations'?
  • Options
    These companies probably employ on close to minimum wage, and probably have a hefty turnover. I imagine that Charlton have little interaction with that interview process, and unfortunately one may have slipped through the net

It sounded like the stewards quickly realised this guy was the problem, not you, and dealt with it my removing him, which in the circumstances is probably the best you could hope for. 

Sure you feel a bit insulted, and probably did nothing worse than blocking a part of the stairs you're not supposed to.

I'd put it down to experience and not worry too much. If the guy is back next home game then I'd be slightly more concerned.
  • Options
    J BLOCK said:
    Speak to the club and get it sorted. 
    Called this morning bit Mick Everitt is not in till Thursday, the company that employs the stewards are conducting a full investigation .
    Well done for following up and hope you have more success than when I reported a steward and it got brushed aside (was in the Katrien days though). 

• Options
    limeygent said:
    Being called a racist these days often means you've won the argument.
    Keep telling yourself that and one that it'll be true