Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Being called a racist on Saturday.

Comments

• Options
    I had a little difference of opinion with one of ‘offialdom’s little helpers on Saturday as well who may well have been doing his job but went about it on the wrong manner and picking on somebody my age for what I’m guessing was the motivation was probably always going to be waste of time anyway - maybe he realised that as soon as he opened his mouth and I questioned him and it all started to go south from there. Maybe a little bit of coaching on manners for them and how to approach and deal with people by whoever it is that trains the staff behind the counters (and does a pretty good job of it IMO) might lead to a better experience all around. Given my experience I don’t like the sound of the original post claims of somebody being called a ‘racist’ because they basically didn’t take kindly to being rudely spoken to if it’s going to be a common occurrence of approaching fans like that.
    What were you doing wrong?
  • Options
    Under normal circumstances I’d say contact the club but this is Charlton so don’t waste your time.
  • Options
    Gone are the days when they chucked out of the ground like @bolloxbolder for just singing "We don't want no bucket seats".

Or at least that's what I thought he sung.
  • Options
    Chizz said:
    I had a little difference of opinion with one of ‘offialdom’s little helpers on Saturday as well who may well have been doing his job but went about it on the wrong manner and picking on somebody my age for what I’m guessing was the motivation was probably always going to be waste of time anyway - maybe he realised that as soon as he opened his mouth and I questioned him and it all started to go south from there. Maybe a little bit of coaching on manners for them and how to approach and deal with people by whoever it is that trains the staff behind the counters (and does a pretty good job of it IMO) might lead to a better experience all around. Given my experience I don’t like the sound of the original post claims of somebody being called a ‘racist’ because they basically didn’t take kindly to being rudely spoken to if it’s going to be a common occurrence of approaching fans like that.
    Being a grey haired OAP and entering the ground with my over 65 season ticket is my guess but by the time he finally got around to offering to explain himself I’d had enough of him
  • Options
    About five years ago I was on The West Stand Upper concourse at half time and had just visited the Gents.
    The concourse opposite the refreshments kiosk was very crowded and I had to say excuse me to quite a few people as I made my way back to the stairs back to my seat.
    There was a small group of about five or six young black fellas, late teens early twenties I’d say.
    They were actually not queuing for service and were standing in a kind of circle facing each other. They were well dressed and I had the impression that some of them (or all of them), were junior players.
    I had no choice other than to say excuse me and had to walk through the centre of them.
    Upon which one of them said “ Just like us n****s, always getting in the way.”
    I have to say none of the others said a word, so I don’t know what their reaction was to their pals comment.
    To this day I have not forgotten it and have never seen the point of him saying anything at all?
    Make of that what you will.
  • Options
    shirty5 said:
    My advice would be to forget about it. The steward will deny your accusation and unless there are witnesses you won't get a satisfactory conclusion. He could even make some stuff up which could cause you problems. We all know you were not the one in the wrong and that is why you are angry and upset.
    No, follow it through with the club, in case someone comes across this steward on a future game and has a similar incident. 
    Fan Liaison Officer perhaps.
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    Chizz said:
    Being a grey haired OAP and entering the ground with my over 65 season ticket is my guess but by the time he finally got around to offering to explain himself I’d had enough of him
    Let me ask the question in another way. What was your difference of opinion about? 
  • Options
    Sadly, racism will continue to exist in football/society because false allegations by non-white people only go to reinforce the negative stereotype that white racists desire. 
    I don’t have the solution, but this occurred to me while watching the bus/train ticket inspectors on TV. 
    As soon as a white inspector asks a non-white for a ticket, you can start the stopwatch. 
    Bad times. 
    Racism has no place in our society, let alone football, so it was great to hear the old chants for the mighty Leaburn at the Wendies game. 
    I hope CAFC is a beacon of inclusivity. 

This is unfortunately the case. On a few occasions I have expressed that I too have been subject to racism and it being dismissed immediately that as I white person I can't be. Without anyone being interested in any details to understand why 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Sadly, racism will continue to exist in football/society because false allegations by non-white people only go to reinforce the negative stereotype that white racists desire. 
    I don’t have the solution, but this occurred to me while watching the bus/train ticket inspectors on TV. 
    As soon as a white inspector asks a non-white for a ticket, you can start the stopwatch. 
    Bad times. 
    Racism has no place in our society, let alone football, so it was great to hear the old chants for the mighty Leaburn at the Wendies game. 
    This is unfortunately the case. On a few occasions I have expressed that I too have been subject to racism and it being dismissed immediately that as I white person I can't be. Without anyone being interested in any details to understand why 
    Isn’t racism technically to do with discrimination and/or victimisation of minorities based on race?
    noun
    1. prejudice, discrimination, or antagonism by an individual, community, or institution against a person or people on the basis of their membership of a particular racial or ethnic group, typically one that is a minority or marginalised.
  • Options
    About five years ago I was on The West Stand Upper concourse at half time and had just visited the Gents.
    The concourse opposite the refreshments kiosk was very crowded and I had to say excuse me to quite a few people as I made my way back to the stairs back to my seat.
    There was a small group of about five or six young black fellas, late teens early twenties I’d say.
    They were actually not queuing for service and were standing in a kind of circle facing each other. They were well dressed and I had the impression that some of them (or all of them), were junior players.
    I had no choice other than to say excuse me and had to walk through the centre of them.
    Upon which one of them said “ Just like us n****s, always getting in the way.”
    I have to say none of the others said a word, so I don’t know what their reaction was to their pals comment.
    To this day I have not forgotten it and have never seen the point of him saying anything at all?
    Make of that what you will.
    @SoundAsa£ on the West Upper Concourse.

Benito Mussolini  Never Such Innocence
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    Chizz said:
    Chizz said:
    Let me ask the question in another way. What was your difference if opinion about? 
    His mode of operation for initialising dialogue when he’d leapt up from behind me and which doesn’t sound too unlike the one in the original post albeit there was none of that other BS in our exchanges. In my case, I’d expressed my displeasure and we exchanged Q and As a few times along the lines of me asking him to explain why he needed to see my ticket and him once telling me it was a ‘random’ check, I flashed my ST and ‘ID’ when he had then demanded to see that as well and moved on (straight to the bar) declining his offer at that point to delay me further end explain why he wanted to see my ticket.
  • Options
    Modern life's a shitter ain't it?
  • Options
    Are stewards directly employed by the club or are they agency? I know they used to be club employees but lost track with the various owners
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:
    Bad times. 
    Isn’t racism technically to do with discrimination and/or victimisation of minorities based on race?
    noun
    1. prejudice, discrimination, or antagonism by an individual, community, or institution against a person or people on the basis of their membership of a particular racial or ethnic group, typically one that is a minority or marginalised.
    Yes, so.....
  • Options
    Bad times. 
    This is an interesting take.
  • Options
    Have I missed something ?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Chizz said:
    Chizz said:
    Let me ask the question in another way. What was your difference if opinion about? 
    His mode of operation for initialising dialogue when he’d leapt up from behind me and which doesn’t sound too unlike the one in the original post albeit there was none of that other BS in our exchanges. In my case, I’d expressed my displeasure and we exchanged Q and As a few times along the lines of me asking him to explain why he needed to see my ticket and him once telling me it was a ‘random’ check, I flashed my ST and ‘ID’ when he had then demanded to see that as well and moved on (straight to the bar) declining his offer at that point to delay me further end explain why he wanted to see my ticket.
    Sorry, I am really not being clear in my question.  I will have another go! You had a disagreement with a steward and it appears that it was less pleasant that it might have been and wasn't handled well by the steward.  But, what was it that you were you doing that initiated the conversation with a steward?  
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    Chizz said:
    Chizz said:
    Chizz said:
    Sorry, I am really not being clear in my question.  I will have another go! You had a disagreement with a steward and it appears that it was less pleasant that it might have been and wasn't handled well by the steward.  But, what was it that you were you doing that initiated the conversation with a steward?  
    Nothing on my part initiated the exchange. I tapped my ST on the gate, it opened, I went through the turnstile gate, walked half a dozen steps or more to head for the bars and the first pint of the day and he leapt up from behind demanding to see my ticket…I asked him why and it went downhill from there
  • Options
    Good advice from Chizz and others. Don't know if this has been said but include roughly what time it happened. There'll be CCTV that can indicate if anyone behaved in a way that could be deemed aggressive. 
  • Options
    Chizz said:
    Chizz said:
    Chizz said:
    Nothing on my part initiated the exchange. I tapped my ST on the gate, it opened, I went through the turnstile gate, walked half a dozen steps or more to head for the bars and the first pint of the day and he leapt up from behind demanding to see my ticket…I asked him why and it went downhill from there
    Utterly bizarre. Why on earth would someone do that? He deserves a complaint too. 
  • Options
    Or, can't everyone just move on? If the club are looking into it, then just let that investigation run its course.
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:
    Bad times. 
    noun
    Typically being the key word there

racism is prejudice or discrimination directed at someone of a different race.
    And of course in the days of apartheid South Africa it was discrimination directed at the majority by a racist minority. 
    But the point remains that racism is usually more potent when it’s directed at a minority group.
  • Options
    I reckon letthegoodtimesroll looks so ridiculously young, dashing and handsome the steward could not believe he had an OAP season ticket , so just wanted to check there was no moodiness going on .