Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Ryder Cup 2020 (although being held in 2021) at Whistling Straits.

Couldn't see a thread on here about the upcoming Ryder Cup so I thought I'd start one (feel free to close it down if there is already one up & running).

Looking at the 2 teams I'm afraid I see a trouncing on the cards. The US team looks a lot stronger & with Europe leaving Rose at home & picking a number of rookies I fear not even Poults will be able to pull this one out of the fire.

Your thoughts ??

Comments

• Options
    Just been speaking to my neighbour about this as he is a keen golfer and a Director of our local gold club. He says he cannot see past a USA win.
  • Options
    We're down in Bournemouth Thursday to Monday playing golf and we're staying in a lodge on one of the courses - tee off on Sunday ensures we are all settled in front of a big screen in the club house to watch the singles!

For most Ryder Cups, when you look at the teams it seems one-sided in favour of the US - but Europe nearly always step up. 
  • Options
    never write Europe off, however on paper and with the home support the yanks will be favourites.....my favourite sporting event (outside of the WC/Euros) the timings with the 6 hour time difference are perfect for 3 evenings in front of the box
  • Options
    Looking at the teams you would put them firm favourites but are the yanks a team ? Certain players don’t get on with each another and they aren’t used to playing match play . I’d say Europe have a great chance . 
  • Options
    Unlike you to see nothing other than a thrashing.  

I think the USA probably will win but it will closer than a lot of people think. 
  • Options
    I thought on paper the Yanks would destroy us in Paris but never happened. On paper they look a lot stronger but we've got some very solid rookies.

Course should suit our players more, crowd obviously won't. Could be a very close one.
  • Options
    bobmunro said:
    We're down in Bournemouth Thursday to Monday playing golf and we're staying in a lodge on one of the courses - tee off on Sunday ensures we are all settled in front of a big screen in the club house to watch the singles!

For most Ryder Cups, when you look at the teams it seems one-sided in favour of the US - but Europe nearly always step up. 
    What courses you playing at Bob?
  • Options
    Looking forward to DeChambeau and Koepka being paired together
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    cafcpolo said:
    bobmunro said:

Dudsbury on Friday, Barton on Sea on Saturday and Meryk Park on Sunday - Barton on Sea is the only new one for the society but looks good. Not sure which two of the three 9 hole loops we're playing.

Driving down Thursday night and staying in Twyford with my sons and then heading straight to Dudsbury Friday morning. We're staying at the lodge on Meryk Park so will hit the town Friday and Saturday nights and then watch the singles in the Clubhouse at Meryk on Sunday.
  • Options
    I agree with all your comments re don't write us off, that is what I said to my neighbour, we always seem to raise our game in the RC.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    bobmunro said:
    cafcpolo said:
    bobmunro said:

Dudsbury on Friday, Barton on Sea on Saturday and Meryk Park on Sunday - Barton on Sea is the only new one for the society but looks good. Not sure which two of the three 9 hole loops we're playing.

Driving down Thursday night and staying in Twyford with my sons and then heading straight to Dudsbury Friday morning. We're staying at the lodge on Meryk Park so will hit the town Friday and Saturday nights and then watch the singles in the Clubhouse at Meryk on Sunday.
    Barton is bloody lovely. Great pick for a new course. Given the choice (if you have one) you want the Becton / Needles combo.

Hopefully it's not too windy for you, can be hellish otherwise.
  • Options
    Strongest American team i can remember in history, i wont write us off completely but have a feeling this could be depressing. 
  • Options
    Strongest American team i can remember in history, i wont write us off completely but have a feeling this could be depressing. 

The 2018 US team in France was pretty damn good too - that didn't end well!
  • Options
    USA will not win....FACT!
  • Options
    I hope you are right, nearly lumped on USA this morning as i cant see it. But its the ryder cup, i'll be watching and cheering on Europe so would feel wrong to back them. 

Morikawa 18/1 top points scorer, seems a decent price. Actually put a couple of correct score predictions, feels pot luck but one 18-10 USA, and 19 1/2 - 8.5. Only small ball
  • Options
    Europe win… no team spirit in the US side, a couple won’t even talk to each other 
  • Options
    stonemuse said:
    Europe win… no team spirit in the US side, a couple won’t even talk to each other 
    At least they speak the same language......we have English, Irish, Spanish, Swiss......😂
  • Options
    USA do look very strong, and more harmonious than recent US teams (despite Bryson/Brooks) but still think we've got a good chance. 

Hovland and Lowry may be rookies but can't see them being affected by that. Hovland plays in America and has become one of the best players in the world, while Lowry is a major winner and been around for a long time. I imagine Harrington was hoping Lowry would qualify automatically over Wiesberger so he could then pick Rose. Can't see Wiesberger playing much but fingers crossed he rises to the occasion. 

Whilst the Americans have ensured the initial rough is short, the course is still not going to be set up like a normal PGA tour birdie fest so that gives us a chance, especially with the winds forecasted. 

Going to be close but got a good feeling. 
  • Options
    I hope you are right, nearly lumped on USA this morning as i cant see it. But its the ryder cup, i'll be watching and cheering on Europe so would feel wrong to back them. 

Morikawa 18/1 top points scorer, seems a decent price. Actually put a couple of correct score predictions, feels pot luck but one 18-10 USA, and 19 1/2 - 8.5. Only small ball
    Isn't there an issue with backing wide margin win victories and that is that once it becomes clear that one side cannot win the rest that are out on course shake hands and treat the yet to be finished matches as halved e.g. USA are 4 in front and only 3 left on the course - what might be 18-10 becomes 16-12?
  • Options

Isn't there an issue with backing wide margin win victories and that is that once it becomes clear that one side cannot win the rest that are out on course shake hands and treat the yet to be finished matches as halved e.g. USA are 4 in front and only 3 left on the course - what might be 18-10 becomes 16-12?
    Nope they all have to finish their matches
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Possibly, if its going to be a big victory its just pride. I think its pot luck if im honest, i generally dont think there is much value to the bets on score and would love it to be a close one, Europe smashing it.  
  • Options
    My favourite sporting event outside the WC/Euros for sure. As others have said I can't see past a USA victory sadly, but I've thought that many times before and been wrong. Can't wait to settle down each evening and watch it. Go Europe!
    I'm definitely with you on that and would say only the WC beats it for me.

2012 the Miracle of Medinah was the greatest sporting event I've ever witnessed.
  • Options
    Will never write us off but I’m struggling to see past a comfortable US victory. The one thing that I’ve learnt in golf is that history (or even recent history) is not a good predictor of the future.
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    stonemuse said:
    At least they speak the same language......we have English, Irish, Spanish, Swiss......😂
    They all speak good English except Lowry  :D
  • Options
    World rankings count for nothing in this competition. 
    Europe to pull of another win.
  • Options
    Love this event,never write Europe off,we have some good experienced pros,they wont have to play four rounds of golf in four days,so the age situation(Poults,Westwood,Garcia,Casey) wont affect them.The course will be set up to suit their big hitters(as it is entitled to be) so their will be some fun watching Bryson trying to cut out dog legs(dont get the dislike for this guy,he brings a lot of entertainment to the game).I think we can do this,could be the last Ryder cup for some of them and they wont want to go out on a low.
  • Options
    bobmunro said:
    My favourite sporting event outside the WC/Euros for sure. As others have said I can't see past a USA victory sadly, but I've thought that many times before and been wrong. Can't wait to settle down each evening and watch it. Go Europe!
    I'm definitely with you on that and would say only the WC beats it for me.

2012 the Miracle of Medinah was the greatest sporting event I've ever witnessed.
    Charlton Athletic play off finals?