Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Ryder Cup 2020 (although being held in 2021) at Whistling Straits.

Comments

• Options
    bobmunro said:
    My favourite sporting event outside the WC/Euros for sure. As others have said I can't see past a USA victory sadly, but I've thought that many times before and been wrong. Can't wait to settle down each evening and watch it. Go Europe!
    I'm definitely with you on that and would say only the WC beats it for me.

2012 the Miracle of Medinah was the greatest sporting event I've ever witnessed.
    Charlton Athletic play off finals?
    I never said the most gut wrenching, tear inducing, deeply emotional event!

• Options
    Europe on paper look up against it.  World rankings and form all weighted on USA's side.

Heart says Europe.  Head says Americans.

Make it count boys.

https://www.rydercup.com/news-media/make-it-count?amp=true&__twitter_impression=true

• Options
    Where are the usual Sky pundits ?

we are just watching US TV at the moment ?
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    Jeez this is going to be a long watch if all Sky is doing is busking on the back of US tv coverage. Watched two minutes of the opening ceremony. Some Yank comedian reading badly off an auto cue.  Cringeworthy or what.  This can only get better. 
  • Options
    Deary me.
  • Options
    Sam Torrance has not aged well bless him. 
  • Options
    Can easily see us being down 3-1 after that. Pretty standard with the foursomes on the first day mind.
  • Options
    Predictions for the morning:

Match 1 - Europe win
    Match 2 - Halved
    Match 3 - US win
    Match 4 - Europe win

So excited now - been a long build up so can’t wait to get going!

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    I hope Sky aren't going to use the crap US broadcast, the really awful opening ceremony and the TV commentators was a complete turn off!! Absolute shite!
  • Options
    First game today is gonna be a cracker, EU need to win and get first point on the board, try and shut the yank crowd up!
  • Options
    Predictions for the morning:

Match 1 - Europe win
    Match 2 - Halved
    Match 3 - US win
    Match 4 - Europe win

So excited now - been a long build up so can’t wait to get going!

If I'm honest my predictions are top 3 US point, Europe point in the McIlroy/Poulter Foursome.
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    Very surprised not not to see Tommy F in the fourballs and a little surprised not to see Lowry.  Hatton (pain in the arse for a partner) and Wiesberger (potentially the flakiest of the rookies) are rightly kept for the afternoon fourballs where they have the safety net of a partner playing his own ball. I’d have played Fleetwood and Lowry as a pair rather than Westy and Fitz which is a real gamble although I can see why Paddy has done it. As we say about footy though, we don’t see them in training.  Expect to see everyone get a game on the opening day. 3-1 USA although I wouldn’t bet on it. 

Will be glued to it unless it’s the full on US TV coverage in which case I doubt I’ll last all day. Opening ceremonies always have the potential for cringeworthiness but that was probably thev worst I’ve ever seen. Dickhead host, over enthusiastic hostess, corny pre-prepared European video, Stricker blubbing before he even got started, Cantlay chewing gum like a washing machine with his tie undone throughout, a few near-miss up skirt shots of the European WAGs as the players took their welcomes (basic event organisation blunder stuff). A deadpan crowd (didn’t  look particularly well attended and they were drifting off well below the end). Horrendous stuff. good speech from Paddy though and we’re 1-0 up in the fashion stakes. 
  • Options
    cafcpolo said:
    Can easily see us being down 3-1 after that. Pretty standard with the foursomes on the first day mind.
    As much as on paper USA are alot better and i fear for Europe, looked at the initial foursomes just shows, there isn't going to be a massive gulf the rankings would suggest. 

Take Speith & Thomas for example, both great players. For Europe we have Garcia who always shows up in the ryder cup, also fairly decent form of late and Rahm who is the best player in the world of late. So for me this is a coin flip, save bet would be for a half. 

Casey & Hovland v Johnson & Morikawa - The Americans will be too good, no doubting Casey & Hovland can compete if they play well. USA win by 2/3 here 

Westwood & Fitz v Berger & Koepka , the weakest pairing for USA for me, again tough one to call but will lean to Europe here as more experience. Europe by 1

Mclroy & Poulter v Schaffle & Cantlay, Great pairing for Europe and will be some game this one, again could go either way, I'll say a half just to be pessimistic.

2 - 2 after the foursomes

Cant wait for this, love the ryder cup! 
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    Couldn't believe what I was reading on Twitter this morning. Overwhelmingly positive feedback on the opening ceremony which I thought was naff. The two hosts were poor. The lame back and forth was embarrassing. Pleased to hear I am in good company on CL.

And what was up with Steve Stricker? Couldn't make my mind up if he was absolutely terrified or, for some reason, seething with anger. Perhaps he was deliberately trying to exude some sort of personality? It didn't work if he was....
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    Couldn't believe what I was reading on Twitter this morning. Overwhelmingly positive feedback on the opening ceremony which I thought was naff. The two hosts were poor. The lame back and forth was embarrassing. Pleased to hear I am in good company on CL.

And what was up with Steve Stricker? Couldn't make my mind up if he was absolutely terrified or, for some reason, seething with anger. Perhaps he was deliberately trying to exude some sort of personality? It didn't work if he was....
    The opening ceremony is a set format. It’s been identical for years. But in the past it has engaged the crowd (who were freezing and disinterested last night) and been conducted by hosts who know what they are doing (Di Dougherty) or added unexpected pizazz (Monsieur Ginola take a bow). Last nights host was an utter clown.  The event was doomed within seconds. I’m genuinely going to struggle with this if Sky don’t have the usual presenters, commentators and in course experts. I think they will as Razor was pinching around the course with a cheese slice on his head the other day. Fingers crossed. 

Stricter is just simply not a public speaker or an upfront sort of guy.  And very emotional and prone to blubbing. None of that is a criticism. He’s a great guy but it’s just how he’s wired. He’s only captain cos he comes from Wisconsin. 

• Options
    It sounds like NBC and Sky will do joint coverage of the 'Live From' shows (like we've seen this week), and in the build up to each days play but once the action gets underway Sky will do their own coverage using the World Feed. Good news as that American coverage was really starting to grate
  • Options
    I know a bit crazy, but £1 on all the first four matches to finish a tie/halved returns £1,927, i mean i know it wont happen but considering you can make a case for both sides in each why not... 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    It sounds like NBC and Sky will do joint coverage of the 'Live From' shows (like we've seen this week), and in the build up to each days play but once the action gets underway Sky will do their own coverage using the World Feed. Good news as that American coverage was really starting to grate
    yep - but not as much as the incessant USA chants.....shame they can't mute the crowd noise
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    yep - but not as much as the incessant USA chants.....shame they can't mute the crowd noise
    Agreed. The worlds worst sports fans 
  • Options
    Can't believe Westwood was claiming he could putt! That birdie chance on the 1st was shocking.

The Spanish boys need to start finding the fairway off the tee!
  • Options
    Mcilroy/poulter disaster show. 
  • Options
    Rory having an absolute 'mare.
  • Options
    cafcpolo said:
    He's one of a few team europe players really out of form. He's prone to having a proper mare. The yanks will love taking Poults down on the 1st day
  • Options
    cafcpolo said:
    He's one of a few team europe players really out of form. He's prone to having a proper mare. The yanks will love taking Poults down on the 1st day
    If he carries on like this, got to be dropped for this afternoon. I think Poults / Tommy would be a decent combo.
  • Options
    Nothing like a good start for McIlroy & Poulter. And that’s nothing like…………
  • Options
    Nothing like a good start for McIlroy & Poulter. And that’s nothing like…………
    That is quite an achievement though - wonder how many times in the Ryder Cup have a pair been 5 down after 5?
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    Watching the American coverage this weekend. It’s not completely terrible (unlike yesterday’s disaster) now that the action has started. Nick Faldo doing the analysis is a plus point.