Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Ryder Cup 2020 (although being held in 2021) at Whistling Straits.

1234568»

Comments

• Options
    Couldn't see a thread on here about the upcoming Ryder Cup so I thought I'd start one (feel free to close it down if there is already one up & running).

Looking at the 2 teams I'm afraid I see a trouncing on the cards. The US team looks a lot stronger & with Europe leaving Rose at home & picking a number of rookies I fear not even Poults will be able to pull this one out of the fire.

Your thoughts ??
    I started this thread with the above.......note the first line of the 2nd paragraph.

Who said Golfie doesn't know his onions.

• Options
    MrOneLung said:
    Rahm 3.5/5
    Garcia 3/4
    Hatton 1.5/4
    Lowry 1/3
    Fleetwood 1/3
    Poulter 1/3
    Westwood 1/3
    McIlroy 1/4
    Hovland 1/5
    Fitzpatrick 0/3
    Wiesberger 0/3
    Casey 0/4
    Well I have added these all up and make it 14 points. 
    Europe retain the cup….
    That's the problem when you mix doubles and singles for total individual Ryder Cup points. In any case, we would still lose 30-14 so the gap is even greater!
  • Options
    I played WS in 2001. Shot 131. Landed in 9 bunkers and lost 4 balls in the lake.
  • Options
    Sometimes you just have to hold your hands up,the USA where superb,it seems that every put from wherever had a chance,and so many 20 footers went in.In contrast,all I saw was our 6-8 footers sliding by.We need to rebuild,DJ was their oldest player at 37,we had one third of our team over 40,not having a go at the older guys,they have been great for us,Sergio probably still will be,but we really need to bring some mid 20 year olds through to this level.Frightening thing is, that most of the USA players have their best years ahead of them.
  • Options
    Sometimes you just have to hold your hands up,the USA where superb,it seems that every put from wherever had a chance,and so many 20 footers went in.In contrast,all I saw was our 6-8 footers sliding by.We need to rebuild,DJ was their oldest player at 37,we had one third of our team over 40,not having a go at the older guys,they have been great for us,Sergio probably still will be,but we really need to bring some mid 20 year olds through to this level.Frightening thing is, that most of the USA players have their best years ahead of them.
    Might be all of them. DJ at 37 was the old man of the party and he took 5/5. 
  • Options
    Might be all of them. DJ at 37 was the old man of the party and he took 5/5. 
    Frightening,Patrick Reed didnt even make the team.
  • Options
    They played the Par 5s immensely better than us and they also putted better than us.

If you take the fact Poulter and Fitzpatrick are not long off the tee and that Westwood and Casey have terrible Ryder Cup records in recent years, plus their ages and world rankings versus ours AND the fact, that if you take Miracle at Medinah out of it, the last 6 Ryder Cups have all been won by the home team, it only pointed one way.

Casey, Westwood, Poulter and Garcia have probably played their last Ryder Cups on foreign shores.   We need to get the new blood into the side.   However, the US look so strong it could be a very long time until Europe can go toe to toe with them again.
  • Options
    supaclive said:
    They played the Par 5s immensely better than us and they also putted better than us.

If you take the fact Poulter and Fitzpatrick are not long off the tee and that Westwood and Casey have terrible Ryder Cup records in recent years, plus their ages and world rankings versus ours AND the fact, that if you take Miracle at Medinah out of it, the last 6 Ryder Cups have all been won by the home team, it only pointed one way.

Casey, Westwood, Poulter and Garcia have probably played their last Ryder Cups on foreign shores.   We need to get the new blood into the side.   However, the US look so strong it could be a very long time until Europe can go toe to toe with them again.
    What European players ( I reckon we need half a dozen) do we see making the team next time..I am struggling to find them 
  • Options
    lolwray said:
    supaclive said:

What European players ( I reckon we need half a dozen) do we see making the team next time..I am struggling to find them 
    2 years is quite a long time though, yes a lot of the side will stay the same but who's to say 2 or 3 talented players who are currently amateurs won't step up?  We'll have hone advantage too - you'd have to make USA favourites for now, obviously....

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    The US had a far better team and demonstrated it.
  • Options
    The future doesn't look good for Europe......USA will be strong for years to come
  • Options
    lolwray said:
    supaclive said:

Migliozzi
    McIntrye
    Horsfield
    Schmidt
    Hill
    Syme

I admit, it doesn't look overly encouraging....
  • Options
    Weird how so many European players seem to be fading badly pretty early, Kaymer, Donaldson, Pieters etc, how many rookies have then stayed in the RC team?
  • Options
    I didnt think there was that much between the 2 teams......apart from the putting. The US won /halved holes by holing 5-10ft putts. Not by holing monster 30 yarders. A case in point - I got in yesterday a bit late so started watching from around 6.45pm. For the first 2 or 3 mins all I saw was the US holing putt after putt.....and Europe missing theirs.

It wasn't that we were losing every hole to par, or that we were so out of position the US had 2 putts on every green & could cosy it up to the hole. 

My nickname for Lee Westwood is "cant putt" and is looks like it rubbed off on the rest of the team. 
  • Options
    I didnt think there was that much between the 2 teams......apart from the putting. The US won /halved holes by holing 5-10ft putts. Not by holing monster 30 yarders. A case in point - I got in yesterday a bit late so started watching from around 6.45pm. For the first 2 or 3 mins all I saw was the US holing putt after putt.....and Europe missing theirs.

It wasn't that we were losing every hole to par, or that we were so out of position the US had 2 putts on every green & could cosy it up to the hole. 

My nickname for Lee Westwood is "cant putt" and is looks like it rubbed off on the rest of the team. 
    Had Westwood had a half decent putting game he would have won majors,all his career he has been missing 2-3 footers,just amazing that with the resources these guys have he never corrected it.
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    USA will not win....FACT!
    I hope you are right, nearly lumped on USA this morning as i cant see it. But its the ryder cup, i'll be watching and cheering on Europe so would feel wrong to back them. 

Morikawa 18/1 top points scorer, seems a decent price. Actually put a couple of correct score predictions, feels pot luck but one 18-10 USA, and 19 1/2 - 8.5. Only small ball
    A sad, i told you so. Still watched most of it up until Morikawa hit the winning putt. Yes i lost my bet by half a point, but it was predictable. USA played brilliant and dealt with the crucial putts better, perfect matchplay really. Mclroy had a mare bar the singles, i know he was teary but still not good enough overall and hope the last day can spur him on to get back to where he was the world number one. Captain was awful too, there were alot of odd decisions for pairs, we probably lose anyway but there were a few points i was questioning, even the Rory first out which although it might have worked for him would bet Rahm first out and the main man would have lifted the team more and even his own performance knowing he was going to get the first points on the board maybe? Who knows just my opinion on that one as he was class all weekend as was Garcia but both ran out of steam, Rahm more so as he was shocking on the final day. 

PS- Too many negatives for Team Europe and we need to rip it up completely for the next one, half the team need to go. Worst team on paper i can think off, maybe a few Poulter/ Westwood out of sorts and the wrong end of their careers. In the past its worked but now players are hitting longer (Brysons drive wow), just look at the Majors the last couple of years, how many of that Europe team would you put up there? Rahm, Mclroy on a good day but seems to have one bad round in him recent years, Garcia? potentially, where as look at team USA every single one of them are competing right at the top every major. That is probably the bigger concern they could potentially dominate for years unless we find a few more Hovlands/ Fleetwoods, who both do have the potential to get to the next level imo
  • Options
    supaclive said:
    lolwray said:
    supaclive said:

Migliozzi
    McIntrye
    Horsfield
    Schmidt
    Hill
    Syme

I admit, it doesn't look overly encouraging....

I did'nt know King Arthur took up golf, good for him.
  • Options
    I've witnessed through my son's exploits how kids get into football, cricket, tennis and table tennis but apart from taking him for a couple of lessons (as a result his back lift when batting ended up coming down anything other than straight so he had to give up that pursuit) I'm not aware how or how many good, young golfers we are actually producing and whether the numbers are increasing or diminishing. For those who are members of clubs on here, do you have strong youth sections and how committed are the good ones to playing and practising?