Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

England v Andorra / Hungary

Latest squad has been announced for the World Cup Qualifiers against Hungary and Andorra.

Fikayo Tomori gets a call up after his impressive time in Italy with AC Milan.

Patrick Bamford gets dropped after Southgate watched him last time out and realised why he wasnt picking him in the first place.

Bellingham and Greenwood havent been picked because of their heavy workloads at club level.

Comments

• Options
    Bamford is injured. 
  • Options
    Wot no Popey
  • Options
    Tomori - a product of Gravesend Grammar School
  • Options
    No Pope
    No Gomez

:neutral:

• Options
    Gomez needs a good run of games with Liverpool first. Can you imagine the stick GS would get from Merseyside if he got injured on international duty. 

Good decision re Bellingham. We’ve pretty much qualified, give the kid a few days off.
    Indeed - after being out for 10 months, Gomez has only played 215 minutes of football all season 
  • Options
    Glad Tomori is in.
    Feel like he probably deserved to be in Euros squad based on his form last year and his performances haven’t dropped off this season either.
  • Options
    Glad Tomori is in.
    Feel like he probably deserved to be in Euros squad based on his form last year and his performances haven’t dropped off this season either.
    I hope England have a decent scouting network now to watch the players overseas, especially in Germany and Italy
  • Options
    I’ve never heard of Fikayo Tomori . Am I alone in that ? 
  • Options
    Was at Chelsea - few championship loans including to Frank Lampards Derby County
    Played a bit for Chelsea first team then went on loan towards end of season to Milan

they then made it permanent over the summer
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Think Toney deserves a call up ahead of Watkins based on form
  • Options
    Gomez needs a good run of games with Liverpool first. Can you imagine the stick GS would get from Merseyside if he got injured on international duty. 

Good decision re Bellingham. We’ve pretty much qualified, give the kid a few days off.
    It's debatable whether Gomez at the moment deserves an England call anyway
  • Options
    Most of the squad picks itself these days, although it does still annoy me we've again picked just one left back (who went off injured last weekend).

Surprised Pope isn't there as third choice when Johnstone is now playing in the Championship. I think with Ramsdale moving to Arsenal and now seemingly their number 1 ahead of Leno, he'll probably end up clear 2nd choice to Pickford.

Also no idea what Sancho has done to be selected, he's been awful this season.
  • Options
    I know Johnstone is in the Champ but I think he’s a brilliant keeper. Every time I watched him he’s been superb. Having a worldie again tonight for WBA.
  • Options
    James out injured

Replaced by Chilwell and Abraham 
  • Options
    Is it confirmed regarding Greenwood that he’s being rested, I thought it may of been Southgate still not over his antics the last time he was picked?  He’s excellent and should be in any squad IMO. 
  • Options
    Is Harry Maguire injured?
  • Options
    ross1 said:
    Is Harry Maguire injured?
    Yeah, he came off injured against Villa.
  • Options
    edited October 2021
    Really good player. Was surprised when Chelsea let him go. AC Milan love him.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Disappointed Tomori isn't starting, not seen him play yet
  • Options
    Best bit about such a small crowd is that we can hear and enjoy the dulcet tones of the players singing their national anthem.
  • Options
    Not that it really matters, but i'm sure Abraham only got called up when there were a couple of injuries/withdrawals, so not sure how he starts ahead of someone like Watkins who was named in the original squad.

I like Abraham though, don't think Chelsea should've let him go.
  • Options
    edited October 2021
    This camera angle is doing my head in. Looks like I'm watching a subbuteo match from  pitchside. 
  • Options
    Not that it really matters, but i'm sure Abraham only got called up when there were a couple of injuries/withdrawals, so not sure how he starts ahead of someone like Watkins who was named in the original squad.

Just seen a tweet saying that Abraham | Chilwell | Ward-Prowse werent included in the original squad yet all play tonight
  • Options
    I know it’s just Andorra but Foden just looks made for this role.

I think he could potentially take Mount’s role at the World Cup.
  • Options
    Laddick01 said:

When we have a generational talent like Phil Foden, we shouldn’t be leaving him out if we are serious about winning the World Cup 
  • Options
    Jesus... that VAR decision took a bloody long time
  • Options

I'm not a huge fan but surprised Chelsea did, think he's decent cover for Lukaku as Werner hasn't done it. Agree though, not sure how Southgate wanted Watkins in the squad yet then chooses Abraham tonight. 
  • Options
    Laddick01 said:

When we have a generational talent like Phil Foden, we shouldn’t be leaving him out if we are serious about winning the World Cup 
    I think we’re at that point with Foden now. You have to find a way to get your best players on the pitch. 

I do think we missed him massively in the Euro final.