Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

England v Andorra / Hungary

12345679»

Comments

• Options
    edited October 2021
    I would think there is enough experience in an around Southgate, including Chrissy, where they can delve into issues and look at solutions. I think we have to acknowledge there are a lot of positives and this qualifying campaign is going to be another where we qualify relatively easily. 

But you don't have to be a rocket scientist to identify a few issues that there may be better solutions to. Identifying the issues is one thing but using experience around you to find answers doesn't seem a major ask. And solutions don't always have to be complicated.
  • Options
    Have we reached the point with Foden and Mount that we did with Lampard and Gerrard? Both excellent individuals, either of which won't let you down, in most games, but they just can't play in the same team?

Southgate just needs to be stronger and pick one and give him a run. It did look like he preferred Mount but had to bow to pressure off the back of Foden's performance in the last game. I'd go with Foden, just because there are so many other City players involved and Bellingham instead of Mount.
    Maybe if one was far better than the other. 

Foden is an easy choice you would make every single day of the week. 
  • Options
    One learning point from tonight for your average soccer fan is attacking line ups don’t automatically mean attacking performances. 
    Please don't refer to it as soccer again lol 
    I was being sarcastic:-) 
  • Options
    Yeah that would drive me mental
  • Options
    Have we reached the point with Foden and Mount that we did with Lampard and Gerrard? Both excellent individuals, either of which won't let you down, in most games, but they just can't play in the same team?

Southgate just needs to be stronger and pick one and give him a run. It did look like he preferred Mount but had to bow to pressure off the back of Foden's performance in the last game. I'd go with Foden, just because there are so many other City players involved and Bellingham instead of Mount.
    I think if everyone is fit Southgate knows 9 of his side.

Pickford, Walker, Stones, Maguire, Shaw, Rice, Grealish, Sterling, Kane.

The other 2 spots are whether he goes with Phillips/Henderson as a holding midfielder, then the next spot depends on how attacking he wants to be, Bellingham/Mount/Foden.

It's a nice problem to have, especially considering you then have 3 of those 5 not playing along with the likes of Rashford, Sancho, Saka, Chilwell, TAA, Trippier, James, Greenwood, Lingard. We're so strong that we now basically have two XI's that would be competitive.
  • Options

The other 2 spots are whether he goes with Phillips/Henderson as a holding midfielder, then the next spot depends on how attacking he wants to be, Bellingham/Mount/Foden.

It's a nice problem to have, especially considering you then have 3 of those 5 not playing along with the likes of Rashford, Sancho, Saka, Chilwell, TAA, Trippier, James, Greenwood, Lingard. We're so strong that we now basically have two XI's that would be competitive.
    Without an obviously world-beating selection. 
  • Options
    edited October 2021

What constitutes a world beating 11? I don’t know any international team that completely stands out from the rest. France have a great squad of individuals. On their day there is probably 3/4 teams that could beat anyone, England included.
  • Options

What constitutes a world beating 11? I don’t know any international team that completely stands out from the rest. France have a great squad of individuals. On their day there is probably 3/4 teams that could beat anyone, England included.
    Agreed, i think you have us, Italy, France, Spain, Belgium, and Germany (they're much better under Hansi Flick) who could all beat any of the others on their day. 

In South America Brazil are pissing qualifying and i think all the sides above are better than them.
  • Options

Agreed, i think you have us, Italy, France, Spain, Belgium, and Germany (they're much better under Hansi Flick) who could all beat any of the others on their day. 

In South America Brazil are pissing qualifying and i think all the sides above are better than them.
    Yep agree. Then you have teams like Denmark and Portugal who could ‘upset’ any of those on their day.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Are people really trying to say we don't have one of the best squads in world football? 

Pickford 

Alexander Arnold 
    Maguire
    Stones 
    Shaw

Henderson 
    Rice

Foden
    Mount
    Sterling

Kane

Literally has 11 players where all of them would be considered one of the best players in the world in their position. Other than maybe Pickford. 

Add onto this the fact we have: 

Trippier, James, Chilwell, Bellingham, Saka, Sancho, Walker, Grealish, Rashford, Greenwood, Abraham. 

I know there's trying to praise Southgate and everything, but this squad is the best in world football. Or definitely top 3. 
  • Options
    edited October 2021
    Are people really trying to say we don't have one of the best squads in world football? 

Pickford 

Alexander Arnold 
    Maguire
    Stones 
    Shaw

Henderson 
    Rice

Foden
    Mount
    Sterling

Kane

Literally has 11 players where all of them would be considered one of the best players in the world in their position. Other than maybe Pickford. 

Add onto this the fact we have: 

Trippier, James, Chilwell, Bellingham, Saka, Sancho, Walker, Grealish, Rashford, Greenwood, Abraham. 

I know there's trying to praise Southgate and everything, but this squad is the best in world football. Or definitely top 3. 
    It was in response to someone saying we have really good squad depth and another poster replying without being world beating. There are no ‘standout world beating’ XI’s. There are a handful of countries who are in with a shout of being the worlds best and England are one of them.
  • Options
    You get to the final 4 of a tournament and then it just comes down to that little bit of luck, a wonder goal or an amazing stand out performance.
    France, Italy, England, Germany, Brazil, Spain + at least 1 or 2 others.
    All those teams can win it on their day.
  • Options
    You get to the final 4 of a tournament and then it just comes down to that little bit of luck, a wonder goal or an amazing stand out performance.
    France, Italy, England, Germany, Brazil, Spain + at least 1 or 2 others.
    All those teams can win it on their day.
    Or a great manager.