Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Next Manager??

Comments

• Options
    Before JJ and JE we’re announced as interim manager and assistant I was not convinced either way to either give it to them or go for someone new but on reflection I think it’s the right choice for now and if it goes well then we’ve got a bargain and two people that really are loyal servants. They’ll have a long rope with the fans and assuming they take us into next season they really must deliver promotion. This club really cannot hang around in this poxy division. This season is just about staying up now. Next must be promotion.
    I agree but assembling a squad for promotion next season needs to start in the January window. That means that JJ & JE either need to be made permanent by then or be replaced. We have seen from the shambolic recruitment this summer that we need to be proactive early doors otherwise next season will be a write off too. 
    At the minute that will be from League 2!
  • Options
    edited October 2021
    thenewbie said:
    masicat said:
    This will not end well. We need a very experienced manager and TS has gone cheap. Poor JJ, better to
    inherit a team in 10th place than this. I bet Pearce is back in at Sunderland.
    You keep saying he’s gone cheap but he’s done what the majority of fans were asking for and only on a temporary basis . 
    Where has "temporary basis" been mentioned?
    On the OS.: "Johnnie Jackson will take the role of Caretaker Manager and will be assisted by Jason Euell."

I.E. Specifically mentioned he's only caretaker (at this point.) Probably with a view to making it permanent but not confirmed yet. 
    Well Thomas has already stated this morning they are not looking for anyone else at the moment so my guess is Tommy is hoping and praying that JJ does well. 
    We’re all hoping that, if a caretaker can step up it’s ideal.

I listened to the TalkSPORT interview and while he’s giving JJ time he also said they’ll weigh up the options on what’s available on the outside.

No doubt he’ll want options in mind if there’s not enough of an improvement in results. That’s why Adkins came in so quickly after Bowyer left after all.
  • Options
    If jj gets the gig and euell is assistant, it will be interesting to see if we bring in another first team coach. 

If we do, I would like to see an older coach who likes to shout. The bad cop out of the bunch
  • Options
    Considering JJ is our defensive coach it will be quite revealing at the weekend if we persist in doing what we have been doing this season. Hopefully it was Adkins who was dictating the set up if not we are in a whole load of shit
  • Options
    Wouldn’t be surprised to see Jason Pearce step up into the coaching team. Already highly qualified & fits the clubs promote from within strategy! 
  • Options
    Wouldn’t be surprised to see Jason Pearce step up into the coaching team. Already highly qualified & fits the clubs promote from within strategy! 
    wasn't that written into his latest contract? a player/coach role of some sort?
  • Options
    Good call, I did notice on Tuesday that he was the first to approach substituted players. When warming up as a sub, he appeared to be shouting/encouraging the players.

• Options
    edited October 2021
    Jackson.  Nailed on. At least for a few games.  You heard it here first.  
  • Options
    Michael Laudrup anyone?
    Would say hes a bit old but reckon he might be able to grab us a few goals......
    Can’t be any worse than Schwartz. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited October 2021
    A left field, or more likely right back :wink:, option to either join Jackson's team or the main job..... Andy Hughes. 
  • Options
    That's a great shout
  • Options
    thenewbie said:
    masicat said:
    This will not end well. We need a very experienced manager and TS has gone cheap. Poor JJ, better to
    inherit a team in 10th place than this. I bet Pearce is back in at Sunderland.
    You keep saying he’s gone cheap but he’s done what the majority of fans were asking for and only on a temporary basis . 
    Where has "temporary basis" been mentioned?
    On the OS.: "Johnnie Jackson will take the role of Caretaker Manager and will be assisted by Jason Euell."

I.E. Specifically mentioned he's only caretaker (at this point.) Probably with a view to making it permanent but not confirmed yet. 
    Well Thomas has already stated this morning they are not looking for anyone else at the moment so my guess is Tommy is hoping and praying that JJ does well. 
    Surely we all are? 
  • Options
    People here wanting to give curbs a shot but moaning about Adkins being a dinosaur and his football not exactly being entertaining, remind me again… did we play expansive football when curbs was manager ?? His football will be more outdated than Adkins, hasn’t he been out the game for over 10 years? Move on 
  • Options
    edited October 2021
    People here wanting to give curbs a shot but moaning about Adkins being a dinosaur and his football not exactly being entertaining, remind me again… did we play expansive football when curbs was manager ?? His football will be more outdated than Adkins, hasn’t he been out the game for over 10 years? Move on 
    I don't think we should be appointing Curbs but the above is a little unfair, we weren't Bielsa's Leeds but we definitely weren't an Allardyce or Pulis long ball team either.

We always had some sort of width on the pitch under Curbs like Newton, Robinson, Thomas etc, and also used the full backs well there when the widemen tucked in, and also looked to have creatively in midfield like Jensen, Murphy, Stuart.

We weren't hacking it long all game like we've done recently. 
  • Options
    Excellent news.

Get used to Johnnie Jackson everyone.

He's going to be our manager for years to come!
  • Options
    JJ is evens to be next manager, next one after that is 7/1
  • Options
    JJ is evens to be next manager, next one after that is 7/1
    Only has to manager 10 matches to be a winning bet. That’s FA cup 2nd round day or Ipswich at home 
  • Options
    Seen Ryan Masons name mentioned in a few of those roundup of the betting market type articles , would be an interesting one if he's willing to drop down to League 1. 
  • Options
    I think it's Jackson. 

If he does well he'll do it and be allowed to bring in his own team. 

If he starts slowly I think they'll put someone (or maybe keep Euell) to work alongside him to support. 

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    If we get this wrong we will go down.  3 manager seasons aren't that rare, have we ever had a 4 manager one? 
  • Options
    Odds are funny sometimes, you'd think Claus Jensen would be shorter than Paul Ince for example:

https://www.bettingodds.com/news/next-charlton-manager-odds-adkins-sacked-jackson-flynn-harris-powell-laudrup
  • Options
    Odds are funny sometimes, you'd think Claus Jensen would be shorter than Paul Ince for example:

https://www.bettingodds.com/news/next-charlton-manager-odds-adkins-sacked-jackson-flynn-harris-powell-laudrup
    Emma Hayes at 25-1 and Curbs at 33-1.

Not saying Lord Llewelyn wants the job, but surely he would be ahead of Emma Hayes as much as I do like her as a pundit. 
  • Options
    Like to see us go Danish and bring someone across .. not done Brentford any harm 
  • Options
    Richard J said:

Not saying Lord Llewelyn wants the job, but surely he would be ahead of Emma Hayes as much as I do like her as a pundit. 
    Put a fiver on and watch his price drop to 10/1.
  • Options
    Richard J said:

Knows her stuff and is a very good coach.
  • Options
    Rothko said:
    is there really a preception of us being short cash? Or is it people who have just got a bug bear over not blowing loads of cash in the window? 
    But thats not true... We spent over £1m on Kirk | Stockley | Lavelle | Clare

You've got the wages and signing on fees for Souare | Henderson | Blackett-Taylor | Dobson | MacGillivray (not to mention those who renewed) - It makes our position worse as apart from Ipswich | Wigan, we're probably in the top six for spending this summer.
    I’m honestly astounded how quickly rumour/conspiracy becomes gospel in this fanbase. 

Sandgaard has poured millions into the club since he joined, including way over £1m in transfer fees alone. 

Charlton TV was a big investment, state of the art medical equipment has been purchased. The groundsman has been supported with expensive machinery, the pitches have been relayed, the training ground has improved, more staff have been hired to support the infrastructure. 

There are plenty of things you can question Sandgaard on, being tight isn’t one of them.
    He might not be tight and the money might be well spent outside the transfers but if my house is needing a new roof spending money on other stuff is probably wasted.
    I think he might be spending outside the order needed.
  • Options
    Claus Jensen would be very interesting , got the Charlton Connection as well as the Danish connection and seems to be well respected in his current job, although the Ronnie Swartz fiasco tells me that that Danish form might not translate well to league one.
  • Options
    edited October 2021
    Richard J said:

Emma Hayes has a much better job and got to the Champions League final last year and has some of the best players in woman's football. Why would she leave Chelsea women to come to Cafc in the 3rd tier with all the negativity about the team plus the burden of being a female manager in a man's world of the EFL.

Hayes was mentioned for the Wimbledon men's team last season and she felt insulted. 

She can swear like a trooper and wouldn't be intimated by the passe comments.

* Casey Stoney is a top coach and ex Charlton player and will make a top manager but why would she want to drop down to manage average players in the men's game