Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Next Manager??

Comments

• I hope that whoever comes in can sort out the defence, and that's my worry with JJ, who has apparently been the defensive coach.

Apart from that run of clean sheets with Innis and Famewo last season, our defence has been pretty shambolic for a long time. This is the crux our problems, as it was for most of last season and even the season before with so many goals caused as a result of defensive errors.

So, I'm very much in favour of a former defender as our new manager or at least first team coach.

• If Jacko doesn't prove himself for more games then in an ideal world: Michael Beale, Michael Flynn or Alex Neil
  • I wanted Mark Bowen when Adkins was appointed and he is my choice now. 

I was very impressed with his analysis on Valley Pass against Wigan and he has authentic links to Charlton. 

Unfortunately I can't see it happening because he was at Reading when Roddy got the push. 
  • Where's Pards at the moment.

Ok just joking.
  • iaitch said:
    Where's Pards at the moment.

Ok just joking.

• I don't think it is out of the question that we appoint a new manager before Saturday. It sounds as if there is lots happening in the background.
    I would be amazed if we did after he's now said he's giving JJ a chance.
  • Michael Laudrup anyone?
    What’s the obsession with him?
  • I think it's Jackson. 

If he does well he'll do it and be allowed to bring in his own team. 

If he starts slowly I think they'll put someone (or maybe keep Euell) to work alongside him to support. 
  • Sponsored links:

• If Jackson can sort out the squad, maintain consistency of selection and at least manage the team to a reasonable mid table position, he'll be here for the rest of the season and hopefully longer. I am sure that Lord Llewellyn and all the other ex CAFC players/coaches around the Valley will lend a gentle, guiding hand
  • edited October 2021
    Who knows who the next manager will be, but for now can we just concentrate on giving Jacko full support, it ain't going to be easy for him at the moment as it is, I can see a scenario of giving him till Christmas for a fair crack at it, gonna be up's and downs, let's just hope for more up's starting Saturday B)
  • Hasslebank and his backroom 
  • Leuth said:
    We need a manager who will verbally and physically abuse our players! Someone who will yell at them if we lose and yell at them if we win! Someone who loves a long throw! 
    I thought you meant pinky and perky of priestfield for a second then.
  • masicat said:
    This will not end well. We need a very experienced manager and TS has gone cheap. Poor JJ, better to
    inherit a team in 10th place than this. I bet Pearce is back in at Sunderland.
    You keep saying he’s gone cheap but he’s done what the majority of fans were asking for and only on a temporary basis . 
  • masicat said:
    This will not end well. We need a very experienced manager and TS has gone cheap. Poor JJ, better to
    Experienced like Adkins, Slade or Robinson?

Or new to management like Curbs, Powell and Bowyer?
  • If we can get Wilder then we should do a deal whilst the opportunity is there.

Offer him what we paid Bowyer (apparently a fair wedge after we extended his contract) and see what he says.
  • Also it makes perfect sense to give Jackson a few games... his strength will be in affinity with the players and motivation, 4 games should be enough to see if there's an impact. Proper caretaker manager assessment, not Karel Fraeye-esque fait accompli. 4-5 game job interview.
  • Sponsored links:

• We will probably lose at Sunderland but I believe a scrappy 2-1 home win is now more likely then a clear 4-0 bollocking. Will probably all be playing just in front of the D for most of the game.
    Sunderland will eventually wear us out though.
    Stockley will be on defensive duty even though he will be our only man up top in a 4-2-3-1
  • New manager tactics, play the players who have been out of favour and cross your fingers. That’s no good here, nobody is out of favour. If you don’t play Tuesday , then you play Saturday. New manager bounce won’t happen.
  • Before JJ and JE we’re announced as interim manager and assistant I was not convinced either way to either give it to them or go for someone new but on reflection I think it’s the right choice for now and if it goes well then we’ve got a bargain and two people that really are loyal servants. They’ll have a long rope with the fans and assuming they take us into next season they really must deliver promotion. This club really cannot hang around in this poxy division. This season is just about staying up now. Next must be promotion.
  • masicat said:
    You keep saying he’s gone cheap but he’s done what the majority of fans were asking for and only on a temporary basis . 
    Where has "temporary basis" been mentioned?
  • masicat said:
    On the OS.: "Johnnie Jackson will take the role of Caretaker Manager and will be assisted by Jason Euell."

I.E. Specifically mentioned he's only caretaker (at this point.) Probably with a view to making it permanent but not confirmed yet. 
  • Before JJ and JE we’re announced as interim manager and assistant I was not convinced either way to either give it to them or go for someone new but on reflection I think it’s the right choice for now and if it goes well then we’ve got a bargain and two people that really are loyal servants. They’ll have a long rope with the fans and assuming they take us into next season they really must deliver promotion. This club really cannot hang around in this poxy division. This season is just about staying up now. Next must be promotion.
    I agree but assembling a squad for promotion next season needs to start in the January window. That means that JJ & JE either need to be made permanent by then or be replaced. We have seen from the shambolic recruitment this summer that we need to be proactive early doors otherwise next season will be a write off too. 
  • thenewbie said:
    masicat said:
    On the OS.: "Johnnie Jackson will take the role of Caretaker Manager and will be assisted by Jason Euell."

I.E. Specifically mentioned he's only caretaker (at this point.) Probably with a view to making it permanent but not confirmed yet. 
    Well Thomas has already stated this morning they are not looking for anyone else at the moment so my guess is Tommy is hoping and praying that JJ does well. 
  • thenewbie said:
    masicat said:

Well Thomas has already stated this morning they are not looking for anyone else at the moment so my guess is Tommy is hoping and praying that JJ does well. 
    He didn’t exactly say that did he. Just that Jacko will be given time. At no point did he say they weren’t looking for anyone else. 
  • thenewbie said:
    masicat said:

He didn’t exactly say that did he. Just that Jacko will be given time. At no point did he say they weren’t looking for anyone else. 
    I would be very very surprised indeed if after getting his fingers burned on Adkins he's not at least looking around just in case.