Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Next Manager??

Comments

• Options
    Real high risk decision this. Get it wrong and we could be cut off with no prospect of saving ourselves from the 4th division. I would expect TS to put his top team on it and have a contingency fund ready for January.
    let us all hope so
  • Options
    You can see Sandgaards dilemma. He knows just as well as we do something needs to happen yet apart from being a new owner with a passion for football he has no knowledge of lower league football or up and coming young managers. He needs advice. The last lot of advice has ended in disaster. Who does he turn to ? Geddy ? Quite likely it was him that championed Adkins. I can understand why Thomas is hesitant. Next big decisions could re float the good ship CAFC or even send her to the bottom. Is he brave and clears out everything and starts again or just pins his hopes on if he gets a new manager things will turn around. I think our problems run deeper than Nigel Adkins. This is why I doubt we’ll see any action just yet. 
    Agree, maybe he hasn't a good understanding about what makes us, as a club, tick.
    And the same applies for Adkins, Roddy and anyone who hasn't had a long association with the club.
    I think, given our history and what we have been through, we are unique, and what may work for other clubs, probably won't work so well with us.
    But he does have a multitude of good Charlton men around, to call upon for advice and guidance, should he choose to ask for it.
    I'd be picking up the phone to the likes of Curbs, maybe even Varney, not necessarily to offer them roles, but to seek their advice.

• Options
    Real high risk decision this. Get it wrong and we could be cut off with no prospect of saving ourselves from the 4th division. I would expect TS to put his top team on it and have a contingency fund ready for January.
    That’ll be the top team who brought those signings in during the last window…
  • Options
    Alex Neil for me 
  • Options
    Ainsworth would be my top choice.

Matt Taylor at Exeter - doing well and former Charlton which is a bonus.

Simon Weaver continues to do well at Harrogate Town. His dad is the owner but so what. 

• Options
    I think TS needs to appoint an experienced football CEO first. Someone like Varney who is running the club on a day to day basis and not from States on a different time zone. They would have ultimate say (along with TS) on the appointment of the new manager and then undertake a review on the structure and personal of the SLT. Taking away responsibility or even letting go some of the underperforming staff.
    I agree that we need a CEO who is experienced but it ain’t gonna happen. IMHO, TS is a control freak and runs CAFC in the same way as he runs Zynex where he’s Chairman, President and CEO. Sound familiar! Problem is, they’re both distinctive industries and a model that works in one industry won’t necessarily work in another. TS is a good guy but needs to learn from his mistakes. How long do we wait before he realises he’s made mistakes.
  • Options
    cafctom said:
    Johnnie Jackson. A lot of people saying he is part of the problem, but without much basis as to exactly why. Do you see the training sessions? Do you follow the advice he gives?

Truth is, as a club we have always fared better when one of our own is at the helm and there’s a good feeling about the place. Call it sentimental mush if you choose, but it is a fact of the past 30 years on multiple occasions.

An ‘experienced’ manager at this level doesn’t really work or exist IMO. If they’re that experienced and competent, then why would they be hanging around the bottom half of League One after years in the game….Unless you want another Nigel Adkins or Russell Slade.

The fact he's in the training sessions and coaches the team currently is enough for me to say no. 
  • Options
    If TS is serious
    Go all out and pay wilder what he wants
    he has already said he would come to a league 1 club recently even if they need building up and are struggling
    back him let him bring his own team dont force anyone on him
    let him be in charge of signings
    he will keep us up and build with success over next couple years 

not intersted in anyone else tbf

clearout everyone NA JJ and JE
    I think it's harsh to include Euell. Ideally I'd have a manager and an assistant working together on the selection, formation, tactics and set-pieces. I like Euell as a first team coach working with the attacking players mainly. I really think we need a defensive coach and Steve Brown has to be the obvious contender. 
    I just feel sentiment needs to be put to the side they have all been part of a shocking start and its a results business 

i dont think its fair to bring yet another man in and force people on him just cause they are one of our own they need to feel comfortable they have who they know and trust around them to be a success so for that i feel a full clearout is needed
    Agreed on the sentiment, which is why I think any new manager needs to be able to replace Jacko with his own assistant. I think Euell can still be an asset as a first team coach. 
    what makes you think that ? .. he's hardly developed the team into winning ways in his new role
    And your blaming him based on what? He’s behind two others in the decision making. Euell has been highly thought of for a long time now, I think it would be unfair to get rid of so quickly. 
    I'm not blaming him for anything, and don't put words in my mouth, I am asking why you think he would be an asset to any new manager on the first team coaching staff when since his involvement under Adkins there has not been a noticeable improvement in player performance, at least no improvement that I can see
    I'm not putting words in your month. "He's hardly developed the team into winning ways in his new role". Those were your words, no?

To be honest I think it's guesswork either way, but Euell is behind both Adkins and Jacko in the decision making. It's not his formation or tactics. As we saw when Bowyer replaced Robinson, being the manager's assistant doesn't mean they agree with the primary decisions being made. 

Disagree if you want, I don't particularly care but if we get a new manager and assistant I'd personally like to see Euell kept on and a new defensive coach. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Jacko has been in charge of set pieces for at least two years, and they have been utter gash for the entirety of that time. If rumours are to be believed that he's also in charge of our defence this season, then I think he'd probably be better giving up on the coaching side altogether.

Love the bloke, would love him to the next Curbs, but there's too much shite in this current set up to not have a completely fresh start.
  • Options
    cafctom said:
    Are the suggestions of Michael Beale purely based on things he tweeted once upon a time?

Would be surprised if many Charlton fans knew much about it him, if anything at all, before he did that.
    Not sure who/why he was first suggested but for me we should be looking at promising coaches and managers over another name of the managerial merry-go-round. He's an option but that's not to say there aren't better options out there.
  • Options
    Alex Neil

Done well with Hamilton and Norwich, started well at Preston but tailed off towards the end, would like to see him come in and think he is definitely within our capabilities of getting

He's probably the one "experienced" name I'd be a little interested in

Didnt do much wrong at Preston
    But would he be interested in us….in fact, I suspect there’s not many out there who would be as things stand.🥺
    I disagree. We have an unfit and underperforming squad. New guy comes in and improves fitness and morale and goes on a good run and will automatically have the backing of the owner and fans. 
    I stick with my view that ‘not many’ would relish the opportunity, what number we are talking about who may take up the task would of course be a complete guess and surely there won’t be many of those who are going to be of a particularly high calibre as a result of that!🧐
  • Options
    Maybe Karen Hills could take on the men as well as the women? 😉
  • Options
    edited October 2021
    Mark Hughes is available, apparently, as is his former side kick and ex technical director of Reading, Mark Bowen.
  • Options
    Ainsworth for me, however he's been at WW for 9 years now and is probably very reluctant to leave
  • Options
    Do like Ainsworth. Eccentric owner and an eccentric manager would be a laugh!
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    The problem with someone like Beale is that Thomas will have never have heard of him. Unless Roddy has him in focus where is TS going to hear about him or others on the up and coming list ? I’m convinced that it was Ged who championed Nigel and admittedly on the face of it perhaps he seemed the right choice. Thomas needs some very good advisors on this one. Not only Ged Roddy or even Steve Gallen. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Or the guys at Brentford or even Parish at Palace. After all we know guitar man has those links. 
  • Options
    cafctom said:
    Are the suggestions of Michael Beale purely based on things he tweeted once upon a time?

Would be surprised if many Charlton fans knew much about it him, if anything at all, before he did that.
    He seems to be highly rated as a big part of Gerrard's success but really, who knows?  Plenty of good Assistants who weren't much good as number 1s too.

That's the thing for me, the managers I know a lot about would likely not want it (Wilder, Ainsworth, Alex Neil, probably even Powell who's got a cushy job), that's the level we're at really.

Hopefully some in and around the club know a lot more than me about lower league managers!!
  • Options
    Ryan Lowe
  • Options
    You can see Sandgaards dilemma. He knows just as well as we do something needs to happen yet apart from being a new owner with a passion for football he has no knowledge of lower league football or up and coming young managers. He needs advice. The last lot of advice has ended in disaster. Who does he turn to ? Geddy ? Quite likely it was him that championed Adkins. I can understand why Thomas is hesitant. Next big decisions could re float the good ship CAFC or even send her to the bottom. Is he brave and clears out everything and starts again or just pins his hopes on if he gets a new manager things will turn around. I think our problems run deeper than Nigel Adkins. This is why I doubt we’ll see any action just yet. 
    This is what has been at the back of my mind; even if TS wanted a clean slate, who would he consult regarding replacing everyone? Maybe that would be a job for someone like Curbs. To help and advise on the right candidate(s).

• Options
    It won't happen...but Chris Wilder for me...
  • Options
    sam3110 said:
    Ainsworth for me, however he's been at WW for 9 years now and is probably very reluctant to leave

Ainsworth at Wycombe and Dyche at Burnley are two managers that have over achieved at their respective clubs.

Unless new owners come in they have a secure job in the crazy world of football Management as Shown by Watford.

Curbishley and Powell, have proved that Cafc can assemble a squad together to achieve success and get promoted.
  • Options
    Sam_777 said:
    Ryan Lowe
    Ironic if we end up replacing Adkins with a bloke he beat 6-0 away.
  • Options
    sam3110 said:

Ainsworth at Wycombe and Dyche at Burnley are two managers that have over achieved at their respective clubs.

Unless new owners come in they have a secure job in the crazy world of football Management as Shown by Watford.

Curbishley and Powell, have proved that Cafc can assemble a squad together to achieve success and get promoted.
    In December 2020 American investors bought a controlling interest in Burnley .. let's hope they are as patient with and supportive of Dyche as were the previous owners
  • Options
    Do like Ainsworth. Eccentric owner and an eccentric manager would be a laugh!
    two aging rockers .. they could bore us silly with pre-match renditions of Hi Ho Silver Lining and other classics