Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Next Manager??

Comments

• Options
    I'll be honest I laughed when people were suggesting Eddie Howe last season as I thought it was absolutely crazy to even think he'd come here.

However I'm not sure i feel the same about Wilder, part of me thinks if the offer was right he'd consider it. I know he would like a return to the Premier League however I think that's incredibly unlikely, and he seems to have been over-looked for a few jobs already in the championship. The Forest job especially I thought he'd be in the running for given he's local but he seemed to be ruled out from the start.

Duff and Taylor have done great jobs at Cheltenham and Exeter however I'm always wary of managers who have only managed one club, of course everyone has to start somewhere however you often see managers have great success at their first club and then for whatever reason not be able to replicate it elsewhere. Ryan Lowe has managed Bury and Plymouth and got both promoted so clearly is doing something right.

Surprised Powell's name hasn't been mentioned more, is that because people just don't think he'd come or because people don't fancy him? He'd be my ideal appointment personally, one of the best managers we've had in my time supporting the club and someone you can really get behind. You would hope his experience since he's been away with Spurs and England would have helped him develop as well and there must be part of him who feels like he has unfinished business at the club. Whether or not he'd give up what he has now for us is of course up for debate.
  • Options
    I am concerned that Sandy is not prepared to fund Adkins' 'Golden Farewell' let alone pay a big salary to any incoming talent, player, coach or manager
  • Options
    Powell is too good for us now.
  • Options
    sam3110 said:
    Ainsworth for me, however he's been at WW for 9 years now and is probably very reluctant to leave

Ainsworth at Wycombe and Dyche at Burnley are two managers that have over achieved at their respective clubs.

Unless new owners come in they have a secure job in the crazy world of football Management as Shown by Watford.

Curbishley and Powell, have proved that Cafc can assemble a squad together to achieve success and get promoted.
    In December 2020 American investors bought a controlling interest in Burnley .. let's hope they are as patient with and supportive of Dyche as were the previous owners

Dyche has been at Burnley for nine years and the American owners rewarded Him with a new four year contract in the Summer. It's a win win situation for the gravel voiced man now as he either goes on to spend 13 years at Burnley or he gets a decent pay out to spend more time with his family.

A very bright guy who can switch off when he gets home. Of course his phone is still on in case he gets the big offer for Nick Pope !
  • Options
    edited October 2021
    I'd reach out to Chris Farnell and ask him for Dave Jones' number.
  • Options
    I'd reach out to Chris Farnell and ask him for Dave Jones' number.
    Jones is only interested in U16 age groups. 
    Classy.

Knock him over links to Farnell and the fact he seemed to be happy to help in selling players for him, or apparently having one of the Range Rovers etc etc.

Leave out the jibes over a 20yr Court case he was found not guilty in.
    You are quite right - was in bad taste. I shall remove my post.
  • Options
    Someone got lol for gus poyet, not sure why. He was on talkSPORT the other day putting his name out there. By all accounts his win rate as a manager is over 60%.  He is fully aware of the Charlton way with Diego being with us. So I’m guessing it wouldn’t be beyond the realms of possibility unless he thinks we’ve fallen too far now and wants a higher challenge. Who knows🤷🏻‍♂️ At the moment I’d settle for a positive change, unfortunately that shouldn’t be JJ and Euell for me.
  • Options
    paulfox said:
    Someone got lol for gus poyet, not sure why. He was on talkSPORT the other day putting his name out there. By all accounts his win rate as a manager is over 60%.  He is fully aware of the Charlton way with Diego being with us. So I’m guessing it wouldn’t be beyond the realms of possibility unless he thinks we’ve fallen too far now and wants a higher challenge. Who knows🤷🏻‍♂️ At the moment I’d settle for a positive change, unfortunately that shouldn’t be JJ and Euell for me.
    43% on Wikipedia, though that's pretty good https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gus_Poyet#Managerial_statistics

One thing he would definitely do is give players confidence and belief on the ball. Said earlier today we need to be braver on the ball. Teams with tiny budgets can manage it, so it's not just about bringing in the right players, it's making use of what you've got.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Scoham said:
    paulfox said:
    43% on Wikipedia, though that's pretty good https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gus_Poyet#Managerial_statistics

One thing he would definitely do is give players confidence and belief on the ball. Said earlier today we need to be braver on the ball. Teams with tiny budgets can manage it, so it's not just about bringing in the right players, it's making use of what you've got.
    Oh ok, maybe the 60% thing was with one club🤷🏻‍♂️, the amount of so called lesser sides that have played good football we could only hope for has been going on for a few seasons now. Cheltenham the other week we’re so incisive through the midfield absolutely tore us a new one at times. Crewe last season, mk at ours. That’s why I think we need an absolute clear out with the manager and coaching, it feels like we’ve been left behind tactically and technically. We used to have an identity where what we lacked in quality we made up for in effort, we don’t seem to even get that anymore.
  • Options
    paulfox said:
    so you're thinking of appointing a manager on the basis of him saying on talksport that he is looking for a job and that his son had a short career as a Charlton player. Have you seen where he has been managing lately ? .. advocating Poyet is not clutching at straws, it's clutching at thin air
  • Options
    paulfox said:
    His last 5 jobs were all under 1 year. 
  • Options
    paulfox said:
    so you're thinking of appointing a manager on the basis of him saying on talksport that he is looking for a job and that his son had a short career as a Charlton player. Have you seen where he has been managing lately ? .. advocating Poyet is not clutching at straws, it's clutching at thin air
    No not once did I say give him the job, it was a suggestion as we are discussing names for new manager and recalled his interview and what was being said.instead of belittling somebody try having a discussion and maybe make suggestions yourself, as you obviously know so much. For the record I don’t think he could be worse than what we have.
  • Options
    paulfox said:
    Yes, he was explaining the whys and wherefores in the interview. Did you listen to it?,,,no? Maybe form an opinion after doing so!!. I’ve not once said he’d be my 1st choice, was just a name thrown into the hat. 
  • Options
    When does it go from making a change, to rebooting the project to becoming a full on fire fight?

If you get into December aren't you looking at a "give it to Big Sam to the end of the season" type job? 

• Options
    edited October 2021
    cafctom said:
    Johnnie Jackson. A lot of people saying he is part of the problem, but without much basis as to exactly why. Do you see the training sessions? Do you follow the advice he gives?

Truth is, as a club we have always fared better when one of our own is at the helm and there’s a good feeling about the place. Call it sentimental mush if you choose, but it is a fact of the past 30 years on multiple occasions.

An ‘experienced’ manager at this level doesn’t really work or exist IMO. If they’re that experienced and competent, then why would they be hanging around the bottom half of League One after years in the game….Unless you want another Nigel Adkins or Russell Slade.

Based on your own appraisal, have you seen the training sessions he gives? In fact does he give those sessions or does he just follow NA's instructions?

• Options
    paulfox said:
    This is the way forward. Let’s get a rota going. One new manager bounce after another. 
  • Options
    edited October 2021
    Come on. Everyone sing it. It just feels so right...

CHRISSY POWELL CHRISSY POWELL CHRISSY POWELL 
  • Options
    cafc999 said:
    cafctom said:
    Johnnie Jackson. A lot of people saying he is part of the problem, but without much basis as to exactly why. Do you see the training sessions? Do you follow the advice he gives?

Truth is, as a club we have always fared better when one of our own is at the helm and there’s a good feeling about the place. Call it sentimental mush if you choose, but it is a fact of the past 30 years on multiple occasions.

An ‘experienced’ manager at this level doesn’t really work or exist IMO. If they’re that experienced and competent, then why would they be hanging around the bottom half of League One after years in the game….Unless you want another Nigel Adkins or Russell Slade.

Based on your own appraisal, have you seen the training sessions he gives? In fact does he give those sessions or does he just follow NA's instructions?

In what I have seen and know about the professional game you don't have one big training session for all 20-30 players all do together.  They might do shape sessions and large scale games but even they aren't always manager led.  The smaller group work will almost certainly be coach led.

The truth is no one knows, unless they are actually there.  Even leaks should be taken with a pinch of salt as they are almost always agenda driven. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Someone young and hungry who’s done time as a coach/assistant.  So Jackson or Euell.

Or if it’s external, still young and fairly new who’s not managed above and beyond, I do not wanna see another member of the EFL managerial merry go round, example being Alex Neil or Mick McCarthy.  

Gareth Ainsworth would be brilliant, but why would he come here at the moment.
  • Options
    Someone young and hungry who’s done time as a coach/assistant.  So Jackson or Euell.

Or if it’s external, still young and fairly new who’s not managed above and beyond, I do not wanna see another member of the EFL managerial merry go round, example being Alex Neil or Mick McCarthy.  

Gareth Ainsworth would be brilliant, but why would he come here at the moment.
    Ainsworth is as much younger than Adkins as he is older than Neil.  Ainsworth was a manger 5 years before Neil was.........
  • Options
    Farkin Nowan.
  • Options
    Daryl McMahon with Steve Gritt ... Dag and Red were doing ok until I first mentioned then.
  • Options
    As I say in all these threads.....

No idea who is available & who'd want the job, but you'd be surprised at some of the (quality) names who'd be interested. 

However.....its all bit of a moot point as we will win tomorrow night & Adkins will be safe.
  • Options
    Well I’ve said it so many times for weeks I can’t see the point in delaying the inevitable surely Adkins cant make it to the end of the season and turn the ship around, so I really don’t get it.

if be happy to just sack Adkins and give it Jackie and or Euell on an indefinite basis just to see what happens can’t be any worse than this current shambles 
  • Options
    Go for it and get Chris Wilder....he said he would drop to league one if it was the right club and owner. I reckon he would sort this rabble out.
  • Options
    Karen Hills