Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Post-match Thread: Charlton Athletic vs Doncaster Rovers | Saturday 30th October 2021

Comments

• Options
    Croydon said:
    cafctom said:
    “But Jackson’s the defensive coach. I don’t want him in control of the side!!!”
    Fuck me. Second win in a row and your first thought (both times) has been to come on here and give a sarcy comment. Why don't you just enjoy the win?

Does every club such petty fans in their fanbase or is just us?
    Took the words out of my mouth!!, nobody really new how things would pan out with jacko. Enjoy the upturn and if you want to dig people out, go on the millwall site. Not have a pop at your own!!. Easy to say I told you so after the fact.
  • Options
    cafctom said:
    Started to notice in the last few games that Gilbey does have quite a deceptive pace about him. He can get down the line and beat a man better than I’d realised. 
    Told you so…😉
  • Options
    I'm a bit gutted tbh as I had £5 on us winning 6-0 at 150-1 and with a bit more effort they could have brought it home 😂😂

Being serious though another great performance showing intent and drive. Will be gutted if Lee goes back in January, Dobson was fantastic. No complaints on any front from me. On to Tuesday we go 
  • Options
    Very good game. Doncaster looked 10x worse than us at our worst but we still had to play our part. 

Dobson was excellent, should have persisted with him rather than bombing him out for Watson but with only Morgan and Clare for creativity and Energy in those opening games, guess he was deemed the sacrifice.

We look a completely different side without playing any differently - patches of football with the odd long ball up top - except clearly, the players seem to understand the game plan now - getting close Stockley.
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:
    Southbank said:

Downside for me was Stockley, who should have had 3 or 4. Against better sides we will not get as many chances as we did today. Our lack of a natural goalscorer may cost us.
    Another day though, Stockley may convert all those chances and walk away with the matchball.

But generally speaking, strikers average scoring 1 goal in every 3 chances.

Another way to look at it, Stockley has scored in each of the last 3 consecutive games.
    That's consistency - and it breeds confidence.

Just to add Oggy....I thought his hold up play was great. Missed him doing that.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    MrLargo said:
    "They're part of the problem"
    "He's the defensive coach"
    "We need a total clear out"

2 wins don't make a great manager, but they do prove that Jacko and Jase are more than worthy of being given a chance.

7 wouldn't have flattered us. Such a nice feeling to to not have any desire to leave on 85 to beat the traffic.

Also proves, if Jacko and Euell piss anyone off, they will down tools on them aswell!!. Regards to 1st 3 statements, read above!!. And let me know where you got your crystal ball!!😂
  • Options
    Dobson MOM - was everywhere

to a man we were superb

Doncaster were the worst side we’ve played in a long while

Should’ve scored at least 6/7 in reality 

great day…roll on Tuesday 
  • Options
    Such a wonderful feeling for the first time this season. Am sure those that went to Sunderland felt the same, but a really welcome tonic. Dobson is a very different player under Jackson to the one we have seen under Adkins. Good to see his better side. On to the next…
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    cafctom said:
    Started to notice in the last few games that Gilbey does have quite a deceptive pace about him. He can get down the line and beat a man better than I’d realised. 
    Gilbey’s been great the past couple of matches, turning into a really important player for us. 
    Feels like a proper Charlton player, and we've not said that about anyone for a while.
  • Options
    paulfox said:
    MrLargo said:

2 wins don't make a great manager, but they do prove that Jacko and Jase are more than worthy of being given a chance.

7 wouldn't have flattered us. Such a nice feeling to to not have any desire to leave on 85 to beat the traffic.

Also proves, if Jacko and Euell piss anyone off, they will down tools on them aswell!!. Regards to 1st 3 statements, read above!!. And let me know where you got your crystal ball!!😂
    Is that not the case at every football club? If the players don't like the manager they don't play for him. "Losing the dressing room" - ever heard that phrase?

No crystal ball, just common sense and not getting hysterical and wanting to rip everything up and start again when the chips are down. Adkins was a poor manager, that has no bearing at all on Jackson's ability. You can read my views on the Adkins Out thread, page 35 onwards (you posted on page 36 that he definitely shouldn't be given a chance).
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    What makes it even more remarkable for Dobson is the fact he's almost doing the job on his own of acting as that anchor in front of the Defence - Under Adkins we usually had two of them back there to cover, and as we saw from the opening games; Dobson did struggle
  • Options
    This has been alluded to by Jacko himself and some player comments. Seems to me that JJ is delivering a simple message clearly and not over-complicating things. Players know their jobs and what to do in a given situation. I suspect NA was making things harder than they needed to be.
  • Options
    All of our defenders looked extremely comfortable and like they knew what to do, despite the fact they were in a 3. Or maybe every player nowadays learns how to be in a 3, because that formation is completely standard now? 
  • Options
    MrLargo said:
    paulfox said:
    MrLargo said:

Is that not the case at every football club? If the players don't like the manager they don't play for him. "Losing the dressing room" - ever heard that phrase?

No crystal ball, just common sense and not getting hysterical and wanting to rip everything up and start again when the chips are down. Adkins was a poor manager, that has no bearing at all on Jackson's ability. You can read my views on the Adkins Out thread, page 35 onwards (you posted on page 36 that he definitely shouldn't be given a chance).
    Absolutely yes I did, and I wouldn’t think any different now. I also mentioned how much I’d love for things to work out for JJ.As I did not have a clue either way how things may turn out, and neither did anyone else for that matter with certainty. All I knew was things wouldn’t get better under Adkins. Let’s hope in ten games time we’re not wondering why we only played well for two games. Maybe you could enlighten me.👍
  • Options
    What a strange game football is.

I never thought the players weren't actually trying for NA - they just looked totally inept - but last week and today the players have upped their effort by 100% and you can see there are some class players in our team (particularly by League 1 standards). The difference, on the rare occasions Doncaster threatened, with loads of players in position to defend was as different as chalk and cheese under NA. And ironically, as with his fellow right back Matthews last week, Gunter had a really good game in the centre of defence.

Huge praise for young Dobson today. He was outstanding. Not only constantly winning the ball but his passing was first rate as well. How on earth could NA have frozen him out on this performance?

And obviously huge praise for JJ. These 2 games just prove that doing the simple things, like playing 2 up front that everybody could see was the way forward except NA and playing "steady-Eddie" (as Curbs calls him) Purrington instead of a kid who had played literally no recent football allied with some tactical nous can take a team a long way in this league.

Finally, I never realised what a good player Eliot Lee is. With Luton doing well, hopefully they won't want to recall him at Christmas and maybe we can even buy him. I hope we can.
    Isn't he out of contract next summer ?
  • Options
    Liked the positivity from the midfield. Whoever received the ball, they we’re always looking to receive it on the turn and start advancing up the pitch. Very minimal backwards and sideways passing today and always with the intent that it was just to open up an chance to advance down another avenue of the first way forward was blocked.