Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Post-match Thread: Charlton Athletic vs Doncaster Rovers | Saturday 30th October 2021

Comments

• Options
    Really looking forward to Tuesday now. Should be a proper test 
  • Options
    The only downside for me was having to move seats with my son-in-law because the elderly fella sitting next to me had a persistent cough and didn’t even put his hand over his mouth, let alone put on a mask.
  • Options
    Pretty much agree with all that's been said. I'll add that Jaiyesimi turned in a very nest performance on the wing, skinned the defender a couple of times and sent some great crosses over. Really didn't want that to end, though best to rest as we have a big game tuesday.

Just a thought though. Jacko has got the team back on track by playing the players where they best perform. When Nigel was in charge  didn't he suggest this to the manager? 
  • Options
    edited October 2021
    A few of us have been saying from day one that there was a player there with Dobson. Shame the manager couldn't see it. He is the glue that allows the midfield to work. I honestly believe that in Dobson, Gilbey and Lee we have the best in the League by some margin. Amazing how we actually were genuine contenders for the worst midfield in the league for much of the season up to now. I'm sorry Nigel, you are a nice bloke but.........

I am very happy for JJ and JE. It looks like they have saved TS a lot of money. I can't recall a game where any of us could be in goal and we get a clean sheet, ever. Well that was it. My dog, fortunately named JJ, could have kept a clean sheet yesterday. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    The difference is night and day.

If you don't or can't enjoy the Journey under Johnnie Jackson, then that's your problem.

In one training session he got the players to have relationships all over the field in that superb win at Sunderland followed by putting 4 past Doncaster and as JJ said he had a gripe we didn't score more !  

The Standard and bar has been raised by a man who will be a successful manager.

I really hope it's at CAFC, because JJ understands the DNA of this Club, and hopefully he gets a full season to prove that even when we have set backs.

Stay fit Purrington, Dobson and Gilbey because all 3 have brought a different dynamics to this team.

Yes team, not a group of individuals.

• Options
    With Stockley I don't care if he scores with his toe, knee, hand, cock as long as the goal is given and we gain 3 points.
  • Options
    I got a sort of sadistic pleasure from reading the player's ratings in the Doncaster free press.

1. Pontus Dahlberg 5

Pulled off a trio of good saves late in the game but it did not make up for errors that saw Rovers concede. Not decisive enough from Lee’s free kick that ended up in the back of the net as he appeared to be relying on his defence to react. And he bundled his collection from a free kick allowing Stockley to score.

2. Kyle Knoyle 3

Struggled against Purrington, both on and off the ball. A reckless challenge led to the free kick for the first goal. He was nullified by the wing back which prevented him getting forward. Sacrificed to get Rowe onto the pitch in the second half.

3. Ro-Shaun Williams 4

Shaky throughout the game and struggled to keep a track on Charlton’s forwards. Easily beaten and rushed clearances.

4. Tom Anderson 4

No qualms with the penalty that he conceded as he was caught a little flat footed on the turn by Gilbey. He struggled to track Stockley throughout the game and was easily turned.

5. Joseph Olowu 3

Struggled defensively throughout and appeared to have been targeted by Charlton’s pacy wide men. Offered nothing going the other way and tried to do too much at times when the situation called for simple stuff.

6. John Bostock 3

Played some awful passes back that put team mates into danger during the first half. He needed to be the composed head to slow things down but wasn’t.

7. Ethan Galbraith 4

Lacked his usual quality on the ball, with plenty of passes forward aimless rather than accurate. He also struggled to break things up as he typically would. Completely lost Purrington for the fourth goal.

8. Rodrigo Vilca 3

Offered very little throughout the game. He gave little cover against Purrington and struggled for any meaningful possession on the ball. He rushed his one chance

9. Matt Smith 5

Typically energetic and was the only player to really rush or harry the opposition until the introduction of the substitutes.

10. Jordy Hiwula 3

Struggled to get into the game at all - disappointing given this pace against the opposition defence would certainly have caused problems.

11. Joe Dodoo 5

Completely isolated up front with a lack of sensible service. Tried to put himself about but couldn’t make an impact.

Might just be me but I thought Bostock looked head and shoulders above everyone else in that donny team, a 3 seems pretty harsh I thought he was by far their best player.
    If he was their best player, he may have deserved a 4
  • Options
    IanJRO said:
    Fantastic afternoon, great atmosphere and frankly a great tonic following some of the dire performances we have witnessed this season.

Not normally one for noting individual performances when the team plays well but for two games in a row Dobson was outstanding, played his role to absolute perfection today.

As an aside, why does his running style remind me of Norman Wisdom?! 
    Haha. I commented similarly yesterday on the way he walks - a kind of strut with his arms swinging. Reminded me of a toddler having a bit of a strop.
  • Options
    Great win and performance. Hoping the Leko injury wasn’t too bad as that was only negative today. Stockley could have 4 or 5, but can’t moan when you won 4-0.

Really looking forward to Tuesday night.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited October 2021
    Off_it said:
    "4-0 is a very good score but you have to put teams to the sword when you get the chance to".

For real? I've heard it all now. I really give up with some people. Must be on a piss take.
    Yes, funny that. Who would have thought that scoring goals & goal difference might make a difference at the end of the season. 

Last season we missed out on the play offs because of GD. The season before we got relegated because of the lack of a goal - if, after the restart in June 2020, we had scored just 1 extra goal (turning a 1-0 defeat (Millwall for example) into a draw or a draw into a win) then the extra point would have kept us up. 

I despair sometimes, I really do.  
    Well established that you’re on a wind up but just wanted to also point out that statistically (expected goals) speaking, once you get to four goals or more, whether you convert additional goals becomes more about having a lucky day than any team’s ability or lack thereof. 

Rarely do you see a team rack up more than 3 or 4 expected goals, even when the final score is 7 or 8 nil.

Not every shot can go in and it seems like you have an extremely warped sense of how good the goalscorers in our league are.
    I couldn't give a flying fuck about "expected goals" (which is a new stat which means absolutely nothing). 

Everyone at the game or who watched on stream have commented that we could have scored 7 or 8. Its not just my view. Of course I'm happy we won but just a tad (note, just a tad) disappointed that we didnt do what many other teams would have done which would have been to score more than 4 and which we know might have a bearing on the final league table.

For the match itself - I thought Dobson have a great game & much better than Watson in that position. DJ had a great 2nd half & was ably backed up by Gunter. Still think we pumped far too many long balls up to Stockley and his headed miss straight into the keepers hands from 4 yards out was criminal. Head it down son !

• Options
    Great win and performance. Hoping the Leko injury wasn’t too bad as that was only negative today. Stockley could have 4 or 5, but can’t moan when you won 4-0.

Really looking forward to Tuesday night.
    Golfie can and didn’t disappoint 😉
  • Options
    That’s two games in a row where Stockley has missed simple headed chances. Last season he scored with his head from ridiculous angles - every time he headed the ball he seemed to score! 
    Hopefully he’ll have got those misses out of his system now. I wonder if JJ will start Davison on Tuesday to rest Stockley?
  • Options
    With Stockley I don't care if he scores with his toe, knee, hand, cock as long as the goal is given and we gain 3 points.
    I didn’t know he kept chickens but even if he does, I’m sure he’s not allowed to take any on the pitch with him. 
  • Options
    RedChaser said:
    JamesSeed said:
    That’s two games in a row where Stockley has missed simple headed chances. Last season he scored with his head from ridiculous angles - every time he headed the ball he seemed to score! 
    Hopefully he’ll have got those misses out of his system now. I wonder if JJ will start Davison on Tuesday to rest Stockley?
    The issue I have with resting Stockley Tuesday is the defensive headers he makes in our box against set pieces. Rotherham’s in form CF Smith is a big unit at 6’3”and we need to match up.
    As an ex Charlton player Michael Smith will be up for it too.
  • Options
    Yesterday was great, but only a start (combined with Sunderland).
    A sustained run is still needed to climb away from relegation trouble.
    Reserve judgement a little longer, we have to see if this is a honeymoon period or if it can develop into a long term relationship.