Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Post-match Thread: Charlton Athletic vs Doncaster Rovers | Saturday 30th October 2021

Comments

• Options
    edited October 2021
    Longtimeaddicted said:

The last two games have me thinking

What was Mr Happy Clappy thinking when he dropped Dobson from the squad after Wycombe?

Gave Morgan the 10 shirt?

Played two in midfield?

Dropping Stockley in order to stop us playing long ball football? 

What bollox!

13 Games wasted, arguably at least 15 points thrown away.

Very likely another season in League One.

Thomas needs to have a good long look at Roddy MBE in my opinion.
    No he doesn't. For one thing its thoroughly debunked that Adkins and Roddy actually worked together, and even so it was Sandgaard's decision and his alone. Lest we forget, Adkins actually got a really good run of form going last season and very nearly got into the play offs. 

He had to go and there are lessons to be learned but I don't think pointing fingers is remotely useful or accurate. 
  • Options
    Some serious gnasher competition going on in that pic. I think you just about edge it @delroofer!
  • Options
    Dobo different class 
  • Options
    mendonca said:
    Some serious gnasher competition going on in that pic. I think you just about edge it @delroofer!
    I may have been blinded by Dobbo's teeth!
  • Options
    What a strange game football is.

I never thought the players weren't actually trying for NA - they just looked totally inept - but last week and today the players have upped their effort by 100% and you can see there are some class players in our team (particularly by League 1 standards). The difference, on the rare occasions Doncaster threatened, with loads of players in position to defend was as different as chalk and cheese under NA. And ironically, as with his fellow right back Matthews last week, Gunter had a really good game in the centre of defence.

Huge praise for young Dobson today. He was outstanding. Not only constantly winning the ball but his passing was first rate as well. How on earth could NA have frozen him out on this performance?

And obviously huge praise for JJ. These 2 games just prove that doing the simple things, like playing 2 up front that everybody could see was the way forward except NA and playing "steady-Eddie" (as Curbs calls him) Purrington instead of a kid who had played literally no recent football allied with some tactical nous can take a team a long way in this league.

Finally, I never realised what a good player Eliot Lee is. With Luton doing well, hopefully they won't want to recall him at Christmas and maybe we can even buy him. I hope we can.
    Isn't he out of contract next summer ?
    You're probably a lot more on the ball regarding this than me.

I hope you're right!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    PWR. Wasn’t at the game, wife and I ill, but don’t think we should get carried away just yet. Sunderland was a good performance and deserved the plaudits it got but today we played the team bottom of the league who have lost all eight away games. I’m not wanting to piss on anyone’s chips but there are a lot sterner games to come in the next few games so let’s see where we are after that. For now, a much needed three points and well done to Johnnie and the lads. Looking forward to Tuesday.
  • Options
    Agree with everyone about Dobson, was very good last week even better today, looks a completely different player. Energy, tough tackling, accurate passing, exactly what you want from a central midfielder.

Gilbey I thought was also very good, we missed him massively at the start of this season. Back end of last season and his few games back now have shown he's very capable in this league.

I want to also mention a few forgotten men. Purrington has been fantastic these last two games. He's not always perfect but defensively does his job and he always works hard especially when getting up and down the wing. Also Pearce, so many on here questioning why we signed him up again, coming on last week I'll admit I was nervous but he's been brilliant. I've always felt as long as there is a comfortable ball player next to him he's a good defender.

One thing I have noticed these two games is how Famewo has been stepping out from the back to pressure the ball. It must be by design as sometimes he's ending up near the touchline. Not sure how I feel about it, so far its been effective bit over do it and it's only a matter of time before tea start exploiting it.
  • Options
    Surely nobody has come up with this but, that was a comfortable home win. 
  • Options
    edited October 2021
    The negatives first, Doncaster were worse than we have been to date, and we only scored four, could have been closer to 10. 
    The positives, another clean sheet, not a bad player out there, the midfield ran the show, we now have shape and a formation, fitness not an issue, everyone suddenly wants to play for the shirt.
    For all the Dobson knockers, man of the match and what a good all round player, a joy to watch.
  • Options
    What a strange game football is.

I never thought the players weren't actually trying for NA - they just looked totally inept - but last week and today the players have upped their effort by 100% and you can see there are some class players in our team (particularly by League 1 standards). The difference, on the rare occasions Doncaster threatened, with loads of players in position to defend was as different as chalk and cheese under NA. And ironically, as with his fellow right back Matthews last week, Gunter had a really good game in the centre of defence.

Huge praise for young Dobson today. He was outstanding. Not only constantly winning the ball but his passing was first rate as well. How on earth could NA have frozen him out on this performance?

And obviously huge praise for JJ. These 2 games just prove that doing the simple things, like playing 2 up front that everybody could see was the way forward except NA and playing "steady-Eddie" (as Curbs calls him) Purrington instead of a kid who had played literally no recent football allied with some tactical nous can take a team a long way in this league.

Finally, I never realised what a good player Eliot Lee is. With Luton doing well, hopefully they won't want to recall him at Christmas and maybe we can even buy him. I hope we can.
    Isn't he out of contract next summer ?
    You're probably a lot more on the ball regarding this than me.

I hope you're right!
    Haha I'm normally bloody wrong mate or I post about 6 hours after somebody has posted similar  :D

I've just had a search & on Transfermarket it says his contract expires 31/05/22  :D
  • Options
    Thought we played really well today, it really is amazing how performances can turn round so quickly. As others have said looks like we have gone back to basics which is sometimes all it takes. I did get the sense near the end of Adkins reign that fans had turned and perhaps that put extra pressure on players, any mistake was getting boos and as soon as we went behind all the chants against Adkins began. 

I think with JJ in charge the atmosphere seems right behind the team again and it must be a better environment for players to play in. I think if we'd gone behind today fans would have stayed right behind the players and spurred them on whereas a few weeks ago perhaps things would have turned pretty toxic.

Personally I would have given JJ the job as soon as Adkins went, he has served his time at the club and I think deserves the opportunity. I do however understand the logic behind giving him a run of games and so far he has not put a foot wrong. I think this is probably make or break for JJ in terms of his time with us, I'd be shocked if he stuck around if he's overlooked for the job this time. Hopefully if he keeps winning  games then he gives the owner no choice.

I would add that Doncaster looked like one of the worst teams I have seen in recent years, every team can have an off day but they looked truly abysmal. I'm sure Rotherham will be a much more difficult test. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    KettsJohn said:
    Just arrived home in Norwich. Well that was alright wasn't it! Loved being at the valley today. Took my 6 year old grandson. His first game and I think he may be hooked. I know j should be reported to social services! 5th generation of my family. Special day, he got on pitch as junior announcer, we won 4-0. Everything about being a Charlton fan for me today. Great team performance. Very happy tonight.
    Was he the one who predicted the 4-0 win when asked at the side of the pitch before the game?
  • Options
    At last. what we have been waiting for all season. Well deserved great all round performance. Special mention for George Dobson, i wasn't a fan of his but today he was outstanding.
  • Options
    There was clearly a large element of Doncaster allowing us to play, but what an excellent performance, all the same. Really, I think we just picked up where we left off after Sunderland, but Doncaster were a softer touch than Sunderland. 

Two up front makes a huge difference - it supports Stockley who may be be more war hammer than rapier but he’s real weapon nonetheless when used well. There defence couldn’t handle him today. Dobson has fully justified those of us who wanted him in the team weeks ago but it’s also about the balance in the team and particularly the midfield now. With Stockley, Washington, Gilbey, Lee and even Leko/DJ, at the moment, you have players who can and will go and press high and with intensity, but with Dobson behind plus the back 3 and Purrington there is cover if the opposition manages to play round the press. I’ve always felt, however, that if you can get the press right, at this level, 90% of the time the opposition will not be able to deal with it. Defenders at this level don’t have the skill and touch to play passing football under real pressure. That goes for our’s too, although someone like Famewo can deal with it better than most. 

With the ball the balance is good too, Dobson is more than just a spoiler, he can see a pass and carry the ball a bit, Gilbey is all action and can drive at teams with the ball, and Lee buzzes around with a knack for finding space. I really like Lee, he’s a little bit reminiscent of how Andy Reid used to play - not got the wand of a left foot but he wants the ball all the time and goes looking for it. He makes good decisions when he has it as well. Down the right we seem to have finally found some wingers who can actually cross (DJ swung in some peaches today) and on the left Purrington is doing a great job of getting into the box. It’s no wonder we are getting more chances because we are putting the ball into the right areas and getting bodies in there too. At times we have Washington, Stockley, Lee, Gilbey, and Purrington in there and during open play as well. I wouldn’t mind a fiver on Purrington making double figures this season if we keep this up. At the root of us being able to do that, though, is George “Insurance” Dobson, again, because when attacks have broken down he’s still been a barrier stopping the opposition getting straight onto the back three/four within two or three passes off the turnover.

It’d be churlish to grumble we didn’t score more so, really, in the last two games, there has been almost nothing to pick holes in. 

Would be fantastic if they can keep it up again on Tuesday. 

Thoroughly well done Jacko and the boys!
    Think I've read it all now. I'll take your fiver if you really think Purrington is going to get into double figures this season. He's missed 2 sitters in 2 games & will be lucky to get half your prediction. 

As for today. Most has been said already band I will echo what many have said - it was a very poor Donny side and they carried no attacking threat at all. At the other end we really should have scored 7 or 8. 4-0 is a very good score but you have to put teams to the sword when you get the chance to. 

Rotherham will be more than a test on Tues - it will be a severe examination of whether we could be a top 6 side. I think its cone too soon to judge where we will finish this season, although I still think 8th -12th will be about right.
  • Options
    I have never liked Ben Purrington but he was bloody brilliant today. He was even skinning players! Unreal. 
  • Options
    edited October 2021
    They were awful and we were excellent. Got 4 goals, could've been 6 or even 8. MotM either Purrington or Dobbo.
  • Options
    Crazy how this thread is only 5 pages in at 9.30pm on a sat eve compared to what Lincoln probably was by the same time 2 weeks ago