Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Post-match Thread: Charlton Athletic v Rotherham United | Tuesday 2 November

Comments

• Options
    First game I've been to in a long time (think the last time I made it The Valley was to herald the bright new dawn of ESI...), what great entertainment and a good advert for L1 football. Got mad man love for JJ and just could not resist seeing him bossing the dugout. 

I felt we edged it (need to be more clinical!) but on balance I think you could argue a draw was a fair result and if you'd offered me that before the game I'd of taken it. 

Got to say MacG's save at 0-1 was HUGE, as good as a goal, if that had gone in it was game over, thought he made a couple of good stops 2nd half when R'ham had the pressure on to keep us in the game.

DJ was excellent tonight, pretty much everything you could ask for in a winger, had the beating of his man most of the game and his delivery was consistently good. 

I do love Washington, deserved his goal but could've easily had 1-2 more but we all know that already. Proper Charlton player in that he never gives up and runs for days. 

One step at a time but JJ has got this whole team putting a shift in and we made R'ham look ordinary, if this continues I think we'll only be looking up the table from here. 

Might even be tempted to go a few more games this year if we keep this up. 
  • Options
    100% commitment from both sides, a bit frantic at times, with periods of poor football, but great heart and desire from us to get a point against a well drilled Rotherham side. 2 weeks ago we capitulated against Accrington, the turnaround since then really highlights how much we had underperformed under Adkins.

What AMAZES me is how Jacko in 3 games has converted not one "lightweight" winger into an effective wingback, but two. DJ was excellent in his new role, and combined really well with Gilbey, with DJ cutting inside and Gilbey going on the outside. Indeed when Leko is fit, maybe he'll be used as one of the front 2 strikers, a position where we don't have much depth.

Washington is a frustrating player, as he works really hard and does great pressing, but isn't clinical enough in front of goal, so it was good for him to get the goal.

The ref was awful all match, the worst I've seen for a long time. Consistently inconsistent...

Great volumes from the Covered End, even in the first 5 minutes VFR was incredibly loud.
  • Options
    PWR

Deserved point. 

Everyone battled well, but DJ needs to work on his game. 

Poor performance by the ref, who booked Stockley after 3 minutes and then had a further word with him on 5 - again nothing. Then failed to give their defender an obvious 2nd yellow in the 2nd half. 
  • Options
    Just got back, incredible display from the lads. Give him the job!

Anyone know if it was really a foul throw or the ball went out for their opening goal? 
    Looked like a foul throw on the multiple times Ive watched it, but some staff claim the ball looped out of play before the header.
  • Options
    Thought Lee had a stinker for 70 minutes but looked better in the last 20. Tough to call MOTM, maybe Dobson or Pearce
  • Options
    pet peeve......i've been watching opposition throw-ins against us and we don't mark the thrower. we were taught that as kids. half the time we leave players open. if we had a guy in front of their player for the throw-in there would be no cross and no goal..... 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Watched the game via the stream. Thought a draw was a fair result as they were the better team 1st half & we clearly won the 2nd. If we had a decent striker (or 2) then we would have won it. A priority in January but dont think we'll get one. 

Thought Dobson & Gilbey had good games & DJ put in some good crosses. I thought Jackson left it too late with his subs - should be coming on after 70 mins not 80. I expect Tommy will give JJ the gig but I'd give it a few more games just to be on the safe side. Yes we played well 2nd half but still too much long ball to Stockley & not convinced that Leko or DJ are wing backs. 

Still think play offs are out of reach & somewhere between 8th & 10th would be a good finish seeing the start we had. 

Now for that elusive cup run.......
  • Options
    Sitting in AC stand block H the ball crossed by their defender went out and came back in for their goal that’s what incensed Gunter and especially me. Linesman was worse than useless couldn’t keep up with play . That’s if it wasn’t a foul throw beforehand.
  • Options
    edited November 2021
    Proper match under the lights. Love a midweek fixture like that. 

Would have taken the point beforehand - Rotherham easily the best team to have come to The Valley this season, worked hard and were devious bastards. They would have ripped an Adkins side to shreds.

Loved the moment at towards the end when a Rotherham player (didn't clock which) appeared to feign cramp and Jayden Stockley did a chop massage on him. Shows the spirit that Johnnie Jackson's brought to this side. Heaven knows what was going on under Adkins. 

Ref was atrocious but glad that Jackson played that element down. 

Onwards and upwards. 
  • Options
    Well I’m going to bed a happy Smudge.
    Listening to that was an absolute joy.
    Great game.

Johnnie Jackson’s Red Army ❤️
  • Options
    edited November 2021
    PWR. Just got in. F*** you M25/highways England!!

Had good spells.,but our balls into the final third were shocking. Stockley got no change out of a very resolute centre pairing. Thought DJ was excellent first half. Faded second. The game passed Purrington by a bit and I think Jacko should of thought about bringing Kirk on.

Fam,Gunter and Pearcy solid. Love Fams charges out of the box with the ball. He can play a bit that boy.

Elliott Lee. I'm not completely sold on him. Does a few good bits but I think we need a bit more quality in that area if I'm honest.
  • Options
    PWR

Deserved point. 

Everyone battled well, but DJ needs to work on his game. 

Poor performance by the ref, who booked Stockley after 3 minutes and then had a further word with him on 5 - again nothing. Then failed to give their defender an obvious 2nd yellow in the 2nd half. 
    If you had read, you’d see your second point is a minority view, not that I have a problem with those btw. 

Thought DJ both attacked and defended (especially) very well. Feels to me he is choosing to cross earlier which in turn is making it easier to beat his man next time. Delivery generally pretty good too. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    The “throw in” that lead to their goal.
    No doubt it was a foul throw but they are very rarely pulled up now and they may as well just change the rule. The issue was, for the players at least, was did the cross go out of play?
  • Options
    We made a good game of it but I thought Rotherham edged the first half and probably just about deserved to be leading.

Really encouraging the way the team reacted second half though, keeping the ball on the deck and coming back strong. In fact we were so good second half that I don’t think Rotherham could’ve complained too much if we’d gone on to win. 

Draw was a pretty fair result though and it was a good game played out between two good sides. If tonight was a true test, as many said after Saturday, then we passed it, if not with flying colours.

Play like that every match and we will pick up a lot of points including against the better teams in the division. 

Ref was atrocious but the bad decisions probably roughly equaled out as he was just inept rather than favouring one side over the other.

CM one fine save and even claimed a couple of crosses. Back 3 we’re pretty solid, Pearcy the pick of the bunch for me as he relished the physical battle with Smith. Gunter still found room for some iffy decisions in possession but he looks much better at right side of a back 3. Dobson played well I thought, battled away against an tenacious Millers midfield and used the ball well generally, with one excellent burst forward in the second half. Lee grew into as we got the ball down and played. Gilbey should’ve scored - reckon he will soon. DJ did pretty well defensively and well going forwards. Purrington was quieter because Rotherham offered more of a threat but he still got into the box to attack DJ’s crosses and was not found wanting defensively. Stockley battled but got less change out of their defence, the point is though he worked them over and they didn’t get an easy ride. Washington earned his goal through sheer determination. 

Just so nice to look like a proper team again. Keep this up and there’s no one we should fear, the question is have we given ourselves too much to do thanks to the appalling start to the season?
  • Options
    Great to see we now have a team playing with so much belief. We played against probably the best team in the league and controlled the second half and even tried to get a winner when Rotherham had settled for a draw with their time wasting. Well done JJ and JE for turning things around. TS to make JJ permanent manager with immediate effect please. 
  • Options
    Stockley should have been replaced at half-time; that Yellowcard meant the rest of the game for him was different as he didn’t want to be sent off.
    He’ll have to rethink how he does things as I think he’s getting a reputation. Dobson is such an important player but special mention to Famewo who was very good. Perhaps StockleyWas kept on for his defensive capabilities as he defends very well for us. Well done team and fans.
  • Options
    Proper game of football that. They won the first half we won the second and in my opinion a draw was a fair result. Let's keep our heads down, keep picking up the points and let's see where we are at the start of March. If anyone can do this Jacko can!
  • Options
    Watched the stream from Q Prison

Our best performance of the season by some distance. Not much pretty football and no clean sheet but that was never going to be feasible against an excellent Rotherham side. Their two central midfielders were top half Championship standard.

We showed real determination, discipline and an effective game plan that everyone understood. I love Washington and would pick him for every game too but let's be honest. he missed three easy chances and his shot for the goal was a classic Simon Church going nowhere that took a lucky deflection. If only we had a natural goal scorer. Even one like Chuks who we could bring on for 20 minutes at the end.

I doubted Pearce's ability to handle Smith but he just gobbled up their top scorer up for 90 minutes. Superb centre-back play from the man I had written off. My apologies to Captain Pearce. 

Still don't understand the scepticism about the new manager. Jacko is the true messiah who will lead us to the promised land.

See you all at Wembley for the play-off final.