Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Post-match Thread: Charlton Athletic v Rotherham United | Tuesday 2 November

Comments

• Options
    Really enjoyed that game. Delighted to get a point. Great character by shown everyone in red. 

Hate criticising the referee but useless and bottled the only real big moment in the game.
  • Options
    Look how action packed the highlights are compared to most games this season. Almost like 1.5X the speed has been set!
  • Options
    Rotherham are a good side and that goal was coming but they were hanging on to the ropes after a second-half battering. On another day, with calmer, better decisions on the counter, we could have had two or three so things are looking up. 
  • Options
    edited November 2021
    Thought Rotherham edged the first half in terms of territory, BUT they didn't get many shots away, and hardly any on target (three all game). That's a big difference from earlier in the season when our defence was all over the place.
    Washington had the first half's best chance with the weak header from four yards. The angled header was also a decent chance, but he didn't get enough on it. Took his goal well, although it definitely got a nick off the defender.
    Second half we battled our way into partial dominance, although we made more mistakes than in the previous two games. Gilbey's miss (blazing the ball over the crossbar from the penalty spot after the free kick) was a shocker. Can't believe he didn't bury that.
    Rotherham were solid, physical and well set up, but where was the flair? Perhaps they prove that you can get away with having none at this level. Hated the time wasting and surrounding the ref, and loved it when Stockley slapped their player's thigh a few times after he feigned cramp.
    Overall I'm happy enough with the draw (although I had a fiver on the win) as our performance wasn't as confident as the last two, and there were plenty of misplaced passes. Lee, Stockley and possibly Dobson were a little disappointing, and I agree that JJ might have made a couple of substitutions, a bit earlier (Davison for Stockley?). One thing in Stockley's favour however was that he was excellent defensively, and helped snuff out many of the endless crosses from corners and free kicks. He'd make a great CB one day maybe?
    Good to see the Rotherham fans praising us on their forum.
  • Options
    CAFCsayer said:
    11 points off of play-offs

We have pulled 7 points back on Sunderland. We shouldn't get too ahead of ourselves but if we are 5 or 6 points off at Christmas, which is realistic, it is definitely on.
  • Options
    great game / shocking ref (how he didn't give a 2nd yellow only he can answer)

Rotherham were a very good side and caused us problems, but second half once we equalised there was only gonna be 1 winner.

Really enjoyed seeing 2 good sides have a proper go
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    The “throw in” that lead to their goal.
    Nothing wrong with that throw, but i reckon the ball rolled down the guy's arm on the byline.
    Agree my thoughts were that on the post the guy heads the ball down his own arm to the players foot. 
  • Options
    Liked the way Rotherham mixed up their corners. 

Those two in quick succession where they were stood on the goal line in one and outside the penalty box for the other were quite testing. (Well it was for me if not the Charlton players). 
    We certainly need to improve our set pieces.
  • Options
    A good draw, 7 points from 9 from Jacko including a relegation 6 pointer and playing two teams who were in the top 4, what's not to like.
  • Options
    The one thing I noticed straight away was our fullbacks standing out wide cutting the pass off to their wide men, under Adkins they would have been standing next to the centre half’s. Allowing the ball out to the wide men, who then had the choice of going outside or cutting inside an approaching fullback to shoot and more often than not, score.
  • Options
    edited November 2021
    Rotherham a good team and got players forward well .
    In the 1st half ..Washington should have scored with a header though..otherwise we were much too stretched in our attacking shape in first 45 mins.Dobson our best player but needs to keep his head ...plenty of energy but getting himself into places where other players are .

2nd half We got gilbey and lee into the game more rather than go to stockley and we looked like a much better footballing  team. We played like a team and worked for eachother but I have to say that we lack real quality upfront..be good to get a premier reserve striker in January 

A worldy from the keeper 

Jacko has performed wonders with these players. He gets my vote 

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    No doubt it was a foul throw but they are very rarely pulled up now and they may as well just change the rule. The issue was, for the players at least, was did the cross go out of play?

There is nothing in the laws of the game that say the ball must be released before it crosses the vertical. Two hands from behind and over the head with two feet on the ground - so perfectly valid throw-in.

The issue was the hand ball at the far post.
  • Options
    edited November 2021
    I suppose that shows where could reasonably hope to be. 1 thumping win against the worst team in the league. 1 narrow win against an excellent team on a bad run and a draw against an good team on an excellent run. Feeling happier.
  • Options
    Whats not to like, a great game,two very good sides slugging it out all over the pitch.Once again ,no player let us down,but a special word for the skipper,I said on here earlier in the day,when Pearce is confronted by a top player he will come out on top.He "introduced himself" to Smith in the first minute,and that was the end of it,Pearce had the battle won.Respects to Rotherham and their manager,they are a very competent team,Paul Warne is a class act,and I wish him well(great to see the poison dwarf lose 3 on the spin).My congratulations to Highways England,who must have really thought hard about making the journey home to Medway as difficult as possible,and could not be surpassed with what they come up with.A2 Falconwood,lane closures,A2 Bluewater closed,and finally,M2 Closed.
  • Options
    ct_addick said:
    pet peeve......i've been watching opposition throw-ins against us and we don't mark the thrower. we were taught that as kids. half the time we leave players open. if we had a guy in front of their player for the throw-in there would be no cross and no goal..... 
    A change to the regs I believe. From the FA web site. All opponents must stand at least 2 m (2 yds) from the point on the touchline where the throw-in is to be taken.
  • Options
    Very happy with that, I said I would have taken a point before kick off and we got it. Gutsy, running, aggression, playing for JJ the lads gave it all.

Rotherham's time wasting, especially the very slow moving keeper was a good indicator they were under the cosh in the second half and were also happy with a point.
  • Options
    bobmunro said:
    No doubt it was a foul throw but they are very rarely pulled up now and they may as well just change the rule. The issue was, for the players at least, was did the cross go out of play?

There is nothing in the laws of the game that say the ball must be released before it crosses the vertical. Two hands from behind and over the head with two feet on the ground - so perfectly valid throw-in.

The issue was the hand ball at the far post.
    The ball went out from the cross.
  • Options
    Well that was a cracking game and a point more than deserved.

It's unreal how 3 games ago, this team looked completely unfit and totally inept. And now, here they were completing toe to toe with a very good Rotherham team who in the end were happy to walk away with a point.

Would only add that the referee was absolutely hopeless - for both teams, not just us. Lord only knows how he never sent the Rotherham player off for a clear second yellow. Still, he also missed Washington's clear push in the back on a Rotherham player before he scored.

And I'm glad Washington got that goal. Yes he misses too many chances but blimey, does he give 100%. 

Shame there's not another league game for a dew weeks if the Burton game gets cancelled.
    Have another looked at that. It looks to be shoulder to shoulder to me, so nothing wrong with it. He was just stronger than the Rotherham player. 
  • Options
    I don’t disagree their guy should probably have been sent off but I’m glad he wasn’t as our record against 10 men is pretty poor. I’m not sure we would have got back into it if they’d been reduced to 10. As it was, the guy was removed anyway which may have helped us.