Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Post-match Thread: Charlton Athletic v Rotherham United | Tuesday 2 November

Comments

• Options
    edited November 2021
    We now have a squad of players who are fit to wear the shirt.

Johnnie Jackson has United the fans and  "JJ is part of the problem as he is the defensive coach" has already been seen to be rubbish. 

Johnnie Jackson has United the players and they are galvanized to run through a brick wall for him and to prove they are not "effing shite"

Rotherham will be top 6 at least, and we scrapped with them and gave them a battle and halted their winning run. 

We are a 3rd tier club so don't expect us to turn into Man City but to a man ( Kirk will get a chance to prove his worth when injuries occur) in the 3 games since JJ took over, there are relationships all over the field and 3-5-2 has worked because we now attack with numbers and can defend with numbers.

100% improvement in every part of the game under JJ and Jason, individually and collectively and we may even take the FA cup seriously ? Ok miracles take a little longer !

No Battle, No Victory (or draw !)

In Jackson we Believe.

• Options
    Leuth said:
    The “throw in” that lead to their goal.
    Okay, that doesn't look like a foul throw at all. They must have been protesting something else 
    I think you’re supposed to plant both feet when taking a throw in, whereas he was walking as he took it. 
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:
    Leuth said:
    Okay, that doesn't look like a foul throw at all. They must have been protesting something else 
    I think you’re supposed to plant both feet when taking a throw in, whereas he was walking as he took it. 
    Nope you can have a trailing leg dragging the toe on the turf, both feet do have to be in contact with the ground. 
  • Options
    Fantastic gritty performance against a decent league 1 side, and one of the worst baffling performance by a set of official's i have witnessed. Even my grand daughter aged 11 said out of no-where after 20 minutes, her PE teacher could referee better, they were a disgrace.

As others have said a few weeks ago this would have been a 0-3 reverse.
  • Options
    I don’t disagree their guy should probably have been sent off but I’m glad he wasn’t as our record against 10 men is pretty poor. I’m not sure we would have got back into it if they’d been reduced to 10. As it was, the guy was removed anyway which may have helped us.
    They went up the field straight after the free kick and nearly scored! How sick would we have been then.
    I would rather us play against 10 men, and they were already looking tired. More importantly I would like refs to be consistent.
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    JamesSeed said:
    Leuth said:
    Nope you can have a trailing leg dragging the toe on the turf, both feet do have to be in contact with the ground. 
    I’m not sure they were though, as he was walking. 
  • Options
    A few individual performances had their ups and downs - Stockley a poor game, Gilbey was a notch below his recent performances, Washington was very profligate etc etc.   But every last one of them bust a gut for the cause. A great team effort. That was a good point against a good side and, with a bit of luck, could have been three.  Chalk and cheese from a few weeks ago. Long may it continue.  Special shout out for the ref. What an absolute clown.  
    Think Stockleys performance was down to being booked so early that he was unable to challenge after due to the clown in the middle.

On a side note hope you are well mate.
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    JamesSeed said:
    Leuth said:
    The debate is whether the ball was thrown correctly from behind his head as per the laws of the game. 
  • Options
    Reported at the time by the studio that the ball went out and back in, also looks like Wood handled the ball back for the scorer, we could go on infinitum finding fault won't change anything, we got a well deserved point which was the least we deserved, so we move on.. 
    Regarding the game as a whole, we were prepared for what we were served up by Rotherham, a very big physical side who work hard, and we matched them up in every department, every player put in 100% and if the "ref" had grown a pair prior to the match, they would have been down to 10 men, and not just sucking up to each and every one of them.
    I feel that Davison could have been used for Stockley as the match reached the later part of the second half, he was treading on eggshells after the farcical early yellow, DJ is a changed man, but all i can do is give 10/10 to each of them, well done and on to the next 3 points we go.. B)

• Options
    I'ts a good point against a tough side. The kind of point you'd be delighted with if you were higher up the table, but given we're three games into a new manager being here and right at the bottom it will do just fine even if it feels slightly disappointing given the chances we had. Teams at our level are always going to miss chances unfortunately, so I don't think we need to go all-out in January for a striker as long as we're still converting enough chances to put teams away. Happ to see Mac getting so much praise for his save; a few people have said it's the first time he's won us a point but while that's probably true, that's not always through his doing. he's had games where he's made brilliant saves but the rest of the team has been so crap that his saves have got lost among goals conceded. Now he's finally getting enough protection that his saves can have meaning.
    Pleasing to see us battle against a good side and come back from a goal down. if the ref had been a little stronger and we'd been a bit calmer with our finishing it could have been three points, which if nothing else is a very good sign
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited November 2021
    Nice to hear a manager talking from the heart , rather than a textbook is the big difference for me, Johnnie is an inspirational person, and inspires people to be / to do better.
  • Options
    I don’t disagree their guy should probably have been sent off but I’m glad he wasn’t as our record against 10 men is pretty poor. I’m not sure we would have got back into it if they’d been reduced to 10. As it was, the guy was removed anyway which may have helped us.
    That's what JJ alluded to in his interview. Playing V 10 men does not = Win.
  • Options
    JohnnyH2 said:
    JamesSeed said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    JamesSeed said:
    Leuth said:
    The debate is whether the ball was thrown correctly from behind his head as per the laws of the game. 
    It was, but if you’re walking when throwing the ball it can also lead to a foul throw. If you slo-mo someone walking you’ll see that for much of the time one foot would be in the air; so technically a foul throw. Normally they either throw the ball in from where they’re standing, or they take a run up and plant their feet before throwing. You don’t often see one where they throw the ball while they’re walking. I think that’s why it looked so odd. The throw part look ok(ish) to me. 
    The ball also almost certainly went out of play on the cross.
    I rest my case, mi lud.
  • Options
    People saying the CBT sub didnt work but part of me feels that was to have him hit on the counter if possible and making Rotherham think twice about committing too many bodies forward and nullifying there attacking threat. 

I dont think we will see him there regularly at all.  
  • Options
    I'm still pondering what Stockley was attempting with that 'pass' from the half way line with about thirty seconds left. Bit odd. We could have got everyone up and lumped it in the box for one last try.
  • Options
    People saying the CBT sub didnt work but part of me feels that was to have him hit on the counter if possible and making Rotherham think twice about committing too many bodies forward and nullifying there attacking threat. 

Perhaps. But bear in mind that DJ has played a similar role before (for Swindon), and it might be the case that CBT can work on it in training. 

Certainly having our wingers learn wing-back is preferable to Adkins' 'yes we can have wingers but they need to always be defending'

I just don't know where the new main formation leaves Kirk, who I'd trust defending his opposite number as much as I'd trust Stockley to not do a cheesy grin at some stage of the game 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Leuth said:

Perhaps. But bear in mind that DJ has played a similar role before (for Swindon), and it might be the case that CBT can work on it in training. 

Certainly having our wingers learn wing-back is preferable to Adkins' 'yes we can have wingers but they need to always be defending'

I just don't know where the new main formation leaves Kirk, who I'd trust defending his opposite number as much as I'd trust Stockley to not do a cheesy grin at some stage of the game 
    Yeah agree with that ref the training with him. Think DJ was cream crackered aswell. 

For me Kirk should be asked to play the same role as Lee. Creative enough and could see driving runs from through the middle. Could even interchange with Washington etc to drag defenders out of position to create space and so on. If Jacko can hit it home that he needs to work hard then would almost be a like new signing.

Tbh I can see JJ changing things up at times to leave us less predictable. 
  • Options
    I agree that that's the only way forward for Kirk. In that sense he takes over the Morgan Project. It's not like we can really afford for both to fail. 
  • Options
    Also re: DJ tiring (betrayed by his only major error, the poor layoff to I think Gunter that didn't let him get a shot away, although the rubbish lino then erroneously gave us a throw which the entire Covered End knew was wrong), that surely demonstrates that having lots of wide players is essential to this formation, as they're the ones likeliest to need bench support. On which note, I'd like to see Souaré return to the bench asap and tell Purrington to absolutely cane it for 75 minutes (if such an instruction isn't tantamount to cruelty, lol) 
  • Options
    terrific game, they scored a good goal, apart that is from the foul throw and the far post handball from the cross .. we had better chances and could/should have won this .. terrific performances all over the pitch from us .. we now have a midfield that works, a defence that is improving and two strikers who like playing in a 'two' and an all round team which just will not take any intimidation and is ready to dish out a foul or two when necessary .. Jackson sets up his team and talks the talk of a proper manager and we are headed for the play off spots .. 
  • Options
    CAFCsayer said:
    Good enjoyable game, with everybody working hard. Rotherham we’re a well drilled and organised team. Ref well to be fair, he was totally incompetent to both sides. Anyone notice when DJ came off both their manager and assistant manager went out their way to shake his hand and congratulate him on his performance, don’t often see that.
    Paul Warne is a class-act... Good young manager who has his team organised, but playing some nice stuff. Classy comments after the game too. Rotherham will be right up there at the end of the season and we battered them second half and .ore than matched them overall. I can't believe I'm saying this, but I'm really not ruling out us nicking a playoff spot. Play like we did second half for the rest of the season, we will end up beating a lot of teams quite comfortably. 
    If only we had replaced Aneke
  • Options
    I'm still pondering what Stockley was attempting with that 'pass' from the half way line with about thirty seconds left. Bit odd. We could have got everyone up and lumped it in the box for one last try.
    he was trying to get it to CBT who was in acres - it was the right pass but he messed it up 
  • Options
    did anyone get footage of the Stockley booking?