Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Post-match Thread: Charlton Athletic v Rotherham United | Tuesday 2 November

12345679»

Comments

• Options
    My summary this morning to my Dad who couldn watch last night

If wed played them 3 weeks ago we probably wouldve been buried for a hatful. Theyre clearly a rly good side who know how to play and they wouldve turned up thinking "how many can we put past this lot". Instead we got in their face and battled with them for every ball for 90 minutes. Theyre probably the better footballing team overall but we negated that with pure graft and desire. We were well up for it and by the end of the 2nd half they were clearly playing for a draw, whilst we were still hammering away at them. 

The mindset of the team and JJs ability to get the lads up for it was probably most prominent in how we came out for 2nd half after conceding just before HT, we hammered them for the first 15 and shouldve scored with Conors chance.

The contrast between NA and JJs team is insane rly, far more shocking a turnaround in quality than the Robinson>Bowyer change. You couldnt have asked more from the team last night rly.
    The bloke in teh middle of Scotty and Curbs on CharltonTV last night (Ali?) made a numberof good points but the oneI liked was when he referred to the Rotherham project hving had 8 transfer windows to get n teh players they want.

Whereas we, at most, have had one under Bow, one under Nadge and none under Jacko.
    agree about the pundit alongside Lord L and Minty .. he's often on the Quest highlights and seems to really know his way around the EFL, leagues 1 and 2 especially .. he is one of a few, new, youngish pundits/journalists nowadays who are able to talk about the game in a very coherent and accessible manner

Journalists and amateur enthusiasts often make the best pundits, imo. They can't draw on the experience of actually being a professional footballer, but they more than make up for that with research and knowledge that comes from being in love with the game. I think because they never played the game they feel they have to work harder and know more to justify being paid to talk about it. Same goes for a lot of the female ex-players who are now pundits on the mens' game - they have to know more and do more to get their spot on the pundits couch. A lot of ex-players seem to think that the mere fact they once played the game is all they need by way of qualifications and can quickly come across as under researched and ill informed, and just rely on received wisdom and cliches rather than providing any genuine insight. Much as I love it, the Beeb has been particularly bad in the last 15 to 20 years for hiring those types of people as pundits.
    *cough* Shearer *cough*
  • Options

If wed played them 3 weeks ago we probably wouldve been buried for a hatful. Theyre clearly a rly good side who know how to play and they wouldve turned up thinking "how many can we put past this lot". Instead we got in their face and battled with them for every ball for 90 minutes. Theyre probably the better footballing team overall but we negated that with pure graft and desire. We were well up for it and by the end of the 2nd half they were clearly playing for a draw, whilst we were still hammering away at them. 

The mindset of the team and JJs ability to get the lads up for it was probably most prominent in how we came out for 2nd half after conceding just before HT, we hammered them for the first 15 and shouldve scored with Conors chance.

The contrast between NA and JJs team is insane rly, far more shocking a turnaround in quality than the Robinson>Bowyer change. You couldnt have asked more from the team last night rly.
    The bloke in teh middle of Scotty and Curbs on CharltonTV last night (Ali?) made a numberof good points but the oneI liked was when he referred to the Rotherham project hving had 8 transfer windows to get n teh players they want.

Whereas we, at most, have had one under Bow, one under Nadge and none under Jacko.
    agree about the pundit alongside Lord L and Minty .. he's often on the Quest highlights and seems to really know his way around the EFL, leagues 1 and 2 especially .. he is one of a few, new, youngish pundits/journalists nowadays who are able to talk about the game in a very coherent and accessible manner

Journalists and amateur enthusiasts often make the best pundits, imo. They can't draw on the experience of actually being a professional footballer, but they more than make up for that with research and knowledge that comes from being in love with the game. I think because they never played the game they feel they have to work harder and know more to justify being paid to talk about it. Same goes for a lot of the female ex-players who are now pundits on the mens' game - they have to know more and do more to get their spot on the pundits couch. A lot of ex-players seem to think that the mere fact they once played the game is all they need by way of qualifications and can quickly come across as under researched and ill informed, and just rely on received wisdom and cliches rather than providing any genuine insight. Much as I love it, the Beeb has been particularly bad in the last 15 to 20 years for hiring those types of people as pundits.
    *cough* Shearer *cough*
    Clinton Morrison will be disappointed if no-one at Charlton voted him the worst  :)
  • Options
    Both goals should have been binned off but the ref was a gutless wonder and one of the worse seen down at the Valley for many a year. 
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:
    JamesSeed said:
    Well that was a cracking game and a point more than deserved.

It's unreal how 3 games ago, this team looked completely unfit and totally inept. And now, here they were completing toe to toe with a very good Rotherham team who in the end were happy to walk away with a point.

Would only add that the referee was absolutely hopeless - for both teams, not just us. Lord only knows how he never sent the Rotherham player off for a clear second yellow. Still, he also missed Washington's clear push in the back on a Rotherham player before he scored.

And I'm glad Washington got that goal. Yes he misses too many chances but blimey, does he give 100%. 

Shame there's not another league game for a dew weeks if the Burton game gets cancelled.
    Have another looked at that. It looks to be shoulder to shoulder to me, so nothing wrong with it. He was just stronger than the Rotherham player. 
    Well I guess if you consider the Rotherham's player's shoulder is in his back it's a fair challenge!

We got away with one there. Time we had some luck. But I think we'd have been howling blue murder on here if it had been the otherway round.
    Shoulder blade maybe? I think it was telling that there were no appeals from the Rotherham players. It did look a bit dodgy on replay, but the fact that he didn’t use his arms would have counted in his favour I think. 
    If that is a foul we need to find an alternative to a corner.
  • Options
    edited November 2021
    shirty5 said:
    Both goals should have been binned off
    Washingtons was a shoulder to shoulder outmuscling of the player. Sure he was marginally behind him, but it would have been harsh to cancel out. 

Their goal wasn't a foul throw as both feet were in contact with the ground as the ball was released and the ball went fully behind the man's head.

• Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    shirty5 said:
    Washingtons was a shoulder to shoulder outmuscling of the player. Sure he was marginally behind him, but it would have been harsh to cancel out. 

Their goal wasn't a foul throw as both feet were in contact with the ground as the ball was released and the ball went fully behind the man's head.
    Unless the ball did go out of play at any stage? - When I was reading the Match Thread @ HT, it sounded like they were discussing that as a factor for our protests, rather than arguing that it was a foul throw
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    shirty5 said:

Unless the ball did go out of play at any stage? - When I was reading the Match Thread @ HT, it sounded like they were discussing that as a factor for our protests, rather than arguing that it was a foul throw
    I didn't see anything wrong with their goal, even in slowmo.
    The throw was weird granted, but theses days are never pulled up even when blatantly illegal.
    If the whole of the ball went out of play I'm a monkey's uncle.
    What handball.
    As for our goal, normal challenge from Washington, probably expected the defender to try and outmuscle him.
    Defender kind of wimped out, but I'll conceded that had he gone down clutching an imaginary injury the ref would have blown up for a foul.
  • Options
    jams said:

He's half of the not the top twenty podcast , which imo does an incredible job of covering all 72 teams - breadth and depth of knowledge is great, they really know their stuff. Jacko has been on a couple of times too 👍
    thanks for the heads up .. I'll give 'not the top twenty' a listen  :)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Fair comments from the opposition. Wish certain managers could be as honest in their after-match comments.
  • Options
    If their cross did go off, it would have needed some serious curl or wind-assist to have come back into play over a 3/4 metre distance? Annoyingly Wood reached it, with his hand which might suggest that it did curl more than expected. Or, both team's misread the ball.

This is where you need to be in the Championship to at least get some other camera angles!
  • Options
    From my seat in the East/AC stand, which is close to the goal line, the ball definitely appeared to go out of play.
  • Options
    0%      Top 2
    18%    Play offs
    55%    7th-12th
    27% 13th-20th
    0%  The big R 

• Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    shirty5 said:

All the protestation were for the ball going out of play.  I am situated high in the FSE pretty much in line with the goal line and it looked like it curved out and back in again. The lino was useless and gutless on this side, so would not have given it if it happened 100 times more.  Ultimately our fault for not defending better.
  • Options
    addick19 said:
    Fair comments from the opposition. Wish certain managers could be as honest in their after-match comments.
    Agreed plus their fans seem very reasonable /balanced too
    So different to many other clubs.
  • Options
    WHAddick said:
    addick19 said:
    Managers tend to be more generous to other teams when they’re doing well - it’s when they come under pressure and start needing excuses that you see what they’re really about 
  • Options
    DOUCHER said:
    WHAddick said:
    addick19 said:
    Managers tend to be more generous to other teams when they’re doing well - it’s when they come under pressure and start needing excuses that you see what they’re really about 
    It's a delicate balancing act and you can understand that Managers need to be wary of saying anything that might undermine the confidence of their players or make them doubt that the manager has their back.
    What you don't need is classless turds demanding that an opposition player gets a 3 match ban.
  • Options
    A bit away from the game but something that I have always wondered

Why do we chant "oh south london.. is wonderful.. oh bermondsey.. is full of shit" when Bermondsey is in South London too. Geographically incorrect. 
    The wonderfulness of the rest of S London more than makes up for the shitness of Bermondsey and Croydon. 
  • Options
    We really need to change the South London one. It's full of RAILWAYS and Charlton, please
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    That doesn't scan, needs to be "it's full of BLAH, railways and Charlton", where BLAH is a one syllable word.
  • Options
    aliwibble said:
    That doesn't scan, needs to be "it's full of BLAH, railways and Charlton", where BLAH is a one syllable word.
    Trains, Railways & Charlton.
  • Options
    Flasks, railways and Charlton.
  • Options
    Trains, fish puns and Charlton
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    We really need to change the South London one. It's full of RAILWAYS and Charlton, please
    Wot no Fanny ? 
  • Options
    A bit away from the game but something that I have always wondered

Why do we chant "oh south london.. is wonderful.. oh bermondsey.. is full of shit" when Bermondsey is in South London too. Geographically incorrect. 
    Even the Palace of Versailles has a toilet.
  • Options
    edited November 2021
    Leuth said:
    Wot no Fanny ? 
    There is only one Fanny.
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    Wot no Fanny ? 
    There is only one Fanny.
    Thankfully, that’s not true.