Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Post-match Thread: Burton Albion vs Charlton Athletic | Saturday 13th November 2021

Comments

• Options
    The reds were probably the lino's fault. Kettle wasn't even looking at it. Whilst accepting I could have missed something, two yellows looked right. Might be worth letting Kettle have a look at it with that in mind.
    Always 2 yellows for me. It was crap from both players to be rolling around on the floor like that, and even if it got heated, the incident was not effecting the current state of play.

Better ref would have taken them both aside, gave them a massive talking at the same time to make a point of it and then yellow’d them. Would have controlled the game much better that way Kettle couldn’t wait to get his red out the moment he heard from the Lino.  
  • Options
    Adkins really must have been dreadful...or Jackson is really good.

Or, a bit of both. A rather bizarre contrast.

I can imagine Adkins doing a team talk...and Jackson sitting in the corner, with his head down thinking "please be quiet"

Deep down, NA obviously didn't actually care and he had no genuine ambition
  • Options
    An excellent defensive performance. Other than the one good save McG made, Burton never really looked like scoring

MoM probably Pearce who was a defensive wall today, but Purrington was up there too and is a real goal threat when allowed to venture forward, as he showed in the playoff final of course.

Famewo had a superb second half, a couple of time he got Dobson out of jail with great challenges. Annoying that he picked up such a ridiculously soft 5th booking, especially as in the second half other Charlton players were surely more guilty of timewasting. Indeed did they sub Kettle at half time, as in the second half it was if a different ref had taken over!

Stockley has been falling foul of referees all season, and they can't all be wrong. Hopefully Leko is back next Saturday, as we do need more options up front than Washington and Davison
    We need to pray Washington doesn't get injured playing for NI against Italy next week.

Like you say, hopefully Leko is back although after missing a few games it'd be a risk to start him anyway.
  • Options
    Great result. 

Let’s keep it going 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    When we played Sunderland we were 19 points behind them. We’re now 9 points behind them, and 9 off the play offs.
    They do have 2 games in hand. However, Streaky Lee is in charge so hopefully he'll see a good few losses in this current streak.
  • Options
    Anyone still there, if you could get me a jar of Hasselbaink's tears I'd be very grateful. Obviously I'll pay for p&p.
    Great result, grinding out a 1-0 away win against a difficult team like Burton is exactly what we need to be doing. I always thought Oshilaja was an absolute liability for us and I'm glad to see that he's clearly one of the few players who hasn't become a world beater the moment he leaves us. I think he was Charltonised before he even arrived at The Valley. Great work from Jacko bringing on Deji 2.0 as well just to really rub it in. Another weekend where we can wake up on a Sunday feeling good about the football instead of absolutely horrified, cheers Purry B!
  • Options
    CAFCTrev said:
    if only NA got binned off after the Bolton game, could have been an extra win or two better off by now
    Wycombe away was the watershed. He should have walked / resigned that evening. Who knows where we would be now.
  • Options
    CAFCTrev said:
    if only NA got binned off after the Bolton game, could have been an extra win or two better off by now
    Wycombe away was the watershed. He should have walked / resigned that evening. Who knows where we would be now.
    Cheltenham home he should have gone
  • Options
    RedChaser said:
    No Golfie comments yet, must be getting stuck into that humble pie. I mean Jacko going down in his estimation before ko wtf!
    No, no, no!!! Read his comments on the match thread. He was proved correct today
  • Options
    The reds were probably the lino's fault. Kettle wasn't even looking at it. Whilst accepting I could have missed something, two yellows looked right. Might be worth letting Kettle have a look at it with that in mind.
    Always 2 yellows for me. It was crap from both players to be rolling around on the floor like that, and even if it got heated, the incident was not effecting the current state of play.

Better ref would have taken them both aside, gave them a massive talking at the same time to make a point of it and then yellow’d them. Would have controlled the game much better that way Kettle couldn’t wait to get his red out the moment he heard from the Lino.  
    If you go round throwing elbows & grappling with each other then tte ref has no option than to send you off. Hands were raised......players might have been on the floor but that is no excuse.
  • Options
    Fumbluff said:
    CAFCTrev said:
    Cheltenham home he should have gone
    Or even after Lincoln away. No way would we have lost 3-2 to Accrington the following Tuesday with Jacko in charge

I envy the fans there today. I saw the win at Fleetwood, but it was a bit bittersweet as it meant that Adkins would stay in charge for at least another 2 weeks (it was the international break, the PERFECT time to change things)
  • Options
    There's nothing quite like winning away. #jackoisourleader 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Looking at the Sky highlights, it looks like the situation started when Stockley was clearly wrestled to the ground by Oshilaja.
    And when he tried to get up, you see him on his back with both feet in the air as Oshilaja pinned him down and maybe, can't be sure from the camera angle, struck him. After that, players from both sides rushed in and it's not clear what further happened.

Clearly the referee missed the whole incident until alerted by the lino. Trying to watch the lino's reaction, I'm of the opinion he didn't actually see the start of the incident, merely saw 2 players locked together rolling on the ground - and appeared to advise the referee that '2 players were fighting'. The reaction of many of the Charlton players to the Red Card was in protest, particularly Gilbey with the linesman .... like they felt that Stockley was the victim.

You'd need another camera angle to be sure of exactly what happened.

• Options
    The way Kettle gave the 2 reds was odd as well. Normally you'd expect the 2 players to be together when being lectured by the ref, instead Stockley got his red when Deji was nowhere near them, as if he wasn't going to be punished as well
  • Options
    As I said on the pre-match thread "Free hit has gone, new manager bounce has gone, expecting a dispiriting 2-0 defeat as relegation reality sets in".

Humble pie never tasted so good. :)
  • Options

If you go round throwing elbows & grappling with each other then tte ref has no option than to send you off. Hands were raised......players might have been on the floor but that is no excuse.
    Don’t agree with that myself, both players were definitely in the wrong and deserved a yellow. But giving out two reds, 14 minutes into a game,  because two players have an off the ball tussle on the ground, even if hands went into faces, just ruined the spectacle and meant the ref nearly lost control of the game (which he tried to yellow card himself out of). It was hardly some full blown scuffle.

As I say, I think a better ref takes them both to the side, gives them both a long talking to and then gives them both a yellow. I imagine it wouldn’t have been a big a talking point if he did.
  • Options
    edited November 2021
    Good solid performance in an ugly game. We would have melted a month ago. 

Jackson was certainly earned his stripes. Come on Tommy, give him the job security he deserves.