Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Post-match Thread: Burton Albion vs Charlton Athletic | Saturday 13th November 2021

Comments

• Options
    Looking at the stats of the game, if you did not know Kettle was the ref you would wonder at 6 fouls, 3 yellows and a red.
  • Options
    2 months ago i posted on here about not having any connection with the players. Now we have Lee, Dobson, Clare, Pearce again all on social media loving life, the fans seeing a reaction from a hard fought win, it’s there and it’s down to one man….Jonnie Jackson. And why…. Because he gets it. Managers at this level need to be young and on a level with the players, ours just happens to be a club legend which makes it even sweeter. Offer him whatever he wants TS.
    Post of the night, VG. 
    I make you right too…👍
  • Options
    Southbank said:
    RedChaser said:
    With Stockley out is it too soon to be putting Burstow on the bench for Plymouth?
    Don't think that we have any option, tbh.
    Depends on Leko’ s fitness, Washington returning injury free and most importantly whether JJ thinks the lad Burstow is ready.
    He isn't. Davison, Washington, Lee and Leko if fit are enough forward  options anyway.
    The defence is a bigger worry with only one centre back he may give Elewere a shot but I doubt it. More likely Pearce and Gunter in the middle or maybe even Purrington. Not ideal whichever it is.
    That's what I was thinking though we would lose his threat down the left. One senior CB & Stockley out not great when we're about to face the team top of the league.
  • Options
    Is there a Stockley version of the red card incident, haven't seen one yet? Wondered if there was bad blood between the two of them from before? It's unusual for former team mates to get into it with each other like that.  Great to see a performance like that from Pearce, he gets a lot of criticism on here, unfairly so in my opinion.
    COYR
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I only saw the stream, but it definitely looked like Stockley was the aggressor after the initial tussle. But I’m sure I saw a good snack from Deji towards the end, before everyone joined in. 

Based on what I think I saw, I have no problem with two reds, but I don’t think the linesman could see any of that, as it was largely obscured by their position, and I’m sure Kettle didn’t. I’m not sure what he based his decision on.  
  • Options
    supaclive said:
    We started well.  Burton gave us too much space and we delivered a lot of crosses.  The "fight" probably caused us more harm than them.

Dobson effective.   Lee's workrate was top class.  Farmewo was classy but MOTM was Jason Pearce who won everything (and fell to the ground at the right times).

Davison tried but struggled.  CBT is NOT a centre forward.

Burton are rank average.

We lose that game with Nigel in charge. 

I think the CBT was put on to stop them pushing up too much with his pace and threat of getting in behind them. Seeing as we were winning, it was a sensible move,
    Of course......let's put on a winger to do a strikers job just because he is fast.

Next we'll be putting Henderson in for the suspended Fameeo just because he is over 6ft.
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:
    CAFCTrev said:
    if only NA got binned off after the Bolton game, could have been an extra win or two better off by now
    Wycombe away was the watershed. He should have walked / resigned that evening. Who knows where we would be now.
    Wasn't a terrible performance though, so that wasn't the right match really.
    What  ??  Not a terrible performance ??  Were you there  ??

One of the worst this season - check out the player marks if you don't believe me. We were abject that day & only came alive once CBT came on with 10 mins to go & Wycombe took off their main striker &  replaced him with a fridge freezer.
  • Options
    I loved every aspect of that performance, even though it didn’t feel like it in game. Everyone’s covered the main points already, but I particularly appreciated Dobson’s Josh Cullen impersonation, Sean Clare looking like he’s been playing in a back three for years, and Pearcey, well I can’t find the words, other than hats off, sir. And Jacko reducing Piggybank to pathetic finger pointing. And our away support accounting for 30% of the total crowd. 
    I was starting to worry about Stockley missing for Plymouth, but only after opening the thread I remembered Jon Leko should be fit. And in this formation I think Gunter can do a job alongside Pearcey. Of course he isnt Famewo, but its 11 against 11. And we beat them 6-0 at theirs just a few months ago.
    I’m starting to believe. At my age I really should know better.
    Of we beat Plymouth then I say give Jacko the job straight after.
  • Options
    RedPanda said:
    He goes by the name of Elliott Lee!!
    "He's better than Robbbb
    He's better than Robbbb
    Elliott Lee..... is better than Rob"
  • Options

Serious question...

What did the ref (not the lino) get wrong in this game?

Specifics please.
  • Options
    Good performance. Scrappy game. Tired legs by the end. The reds seemed to stretch the game meaning Gilbey and Lee had trouble influencing the game.

Clare looked great. Can now see why Robinson was playing him in defence at Oxford. Worrying that he didn't want to play there. Could see him being first choice there, but still a concern defensively if DJ plays Infront of him. Could have been 1-1 soon after the break and DJ Was a spectator. Generally, it worked well down that side.

Famewo and Pearce also back to their best.
  • Options
    Away support was excellent the whole game 

Some excellent performances notably from DJ and Ben Purrington as wing backs Akin Famewo and Sean Clare but man of the match for me was Elliott Lee. Dobson again turned into Kante and has set his bar for performance really high now 

I'm even happier we won as Kettle did his best to kill the game along with the linesmen and I just sound really bitter when I moan about referees costing us games. Hopefully now Stockley has had a red card referees stop penalising him, hopefully it gets overturned but I doubt it 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Blackett Taylor was our best player up until recently and won't be costing us much as it stands. 
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    Blackett Taylor was our best player up until recently and won't be costing us much as it stands. 
    I like him a lot. But we have the squad at its limit (JFC will replace Ronnie) and we are desperate for those 2 positions to be covered with the change in formation.

Blackett Taylor is out of contract then and Arter's loan I presume  can be terminated. Cant see us getting anyone else out the door who is not in the team us getting the fee we need for them (e.g. Kirk) and the players won't go unless a contract is paid up.

What would you do?
  • Options
    edited November 2021
    I agree, we only need one in the squad for the current formation from each of:

Blackett-Taylor or Kirk
    Watson or Arter
  • Options
    IdleHans said:
    JohnnyH2 said:
    Cloudworm said:

Serious question...

What did the ref (not the lino) get wrong in this game?

Specifics please.
    The way he handled the sending off. Being at the other of the ground and not watching the ruck from the off as I was following the ball but I could see Stockley swing and this was more than just the usual push and shove melee so a red card a piece was fair enough. But ge handled it so poor. He sent off Stockley when Stockley was about 30 yards away and therefore allowed himself to be crowded by our players who appeared to get him to go back to the lino to get Deji sent off as well. Great for us to get it evened up but this is really poor officiating.

The booking of Famewo was a joke.

The handling of their player with a cut being off the pitch but he still held the game up.

Constant run of soft calls.

20 minutes for half time

The booking of their bloke for a dive. It wasn't a dive as their was contact but neither was it a pen, it was just hat happens in a contact sport

A typical performance from Kettle
    He added time on for the booking of Arter
    He needed 5 minutes to caution Arter, why not just show a yellow card at him from yards away like he did throughout the game, would have taken him seconds
  • Options
    Jesus....how poor was that Burton defending for our goal?! Not the slightest effort made to a) stop the short corner b) close the cross.