Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Post-match Thread: Portsmouth vs Charlton Athletic | Monday 31st January @ 7:45pm

Comments

• Options
    edited January 2022
    Cafc43v3r said:
    stonemuse said:
    Why are some saying Aneke and Inniss injured?
    Ummm because they are.  Aneke looked like he had a tight hammy and Innis wouldn't have gone off if he wasn't. 
    ‘Looks like’ ? 

And Inniss being saved because of the run of games coming up?
  • Options
    That's about as gracious as Cowley could possibly have been, lol
  • Options
    Aneke needs to work on his attitude...
    He has … its B A D
  • Options
    Their goal was out of the blue and allowed them to go at us. Keeper should have done better there but we got away with it. Overall a deserved win though and that is what we need to take away from the game.
  • Options
    edited January 2022
    Great win. A bit fortunate on the one hand, but no more than we deserved. We looked a lot more like the hard running, pressing side from when Jacko started and we largely dominated the midfield. 

CBT one of his better games for us, always an outlet and a threat going forward. Aneke oozes class and at times the game looks too easy for him. Gilbey didn't have his best game but he put himself about and his pressing and willingness to run beyond the strikers is very important to how we play. Albie looked very good, when he got on the ball, good things happened, and he put himself about and pressed well. Matthews very solid at RWB, all of their best attacks after the first five minutes went down the other side and Matthews had an excellent cross in for the first goal. And Washington worked hard, knitted things together, and scored a poachers' goal. Only thing missing was that wayward shot at the end.

Special praise for Dobson and Clare. Dobson just hoovers up everything that comes near him and stops so many attacks. And Clare was just everywhere tonight, from some excellent, vital interventions to winning headers to overlapping and providing the cross for the second. My MOTM tonight. 

It's so weird to think both were frozen out under Adkins and were held up as examples of a failed summer window. And now, the two of them along with Stockley, are the redeeming features of the summer window.
  • Options
    Good result, and quite enjoyed it. Played well as a team and should have taken more of our chances. 2 consecutive wins in the league. Hope a run is starting. Aneke is a menace, hilarious to watch.
    Aneke, Innis and Famewo. The trinity of the bastards 
  • Options
    It looked like when we had a corner innis was limping into the box so may have had a knock.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited January 2022
    Gilbey put in a shift and you need that. His game was a bit off its best but he was unlucky hitting the post. We have to stick with the guy because he is very high end at this level. The angle was difficult for him. Clare had his best game for us and was immense. The defence needs Innis and he gives defenders problems for set pieces too. CBT had a great game but had a few bad decisions. Washington should have got another but worked hard. Aneke is hard to play against. I thought the disallowed goal was harsh.
  • Options
    We won
  • Options
    Great win, great away end. Thank Christ we didn't throw it away at the end, as we had 3 great chances to wrap it up before the end. 

This team is bipolar, very odd one to follow.
  • Options
    red nose Jackson, looks like he has a bad cold .. very good performance for 70 minutes, then Inniss goes off and our defence is struggling .. Pearce is a totally different type to Inniiss, he and Clare (who had a super game) is not a good fit etc etc ..

anyway, 3 points well won, Morgan had a good one, the much maligned Matthews had a good one and played a vital role in both goals .. a worry is that neither Aneke nor Inniss finished the game and I REALLY hope that we're not back to 'managing minutes', we need our best players doing the full stretch .. as I say, 70 minutes total control, 20 mins struggle, a win is a win

• Options
    Thought we looked very threatening all game. 

The Usual “let them get lots of balls in the box once they had pulled one back” though. 
  • Options
    WOW - The Sky coverage after the game, just shocking - Briefly chat with CBT and Washington - Then quick back to Deadline Day, when its being covered on another bloody channel
    If I heard it wrong apologies, sure they said Aiden O'Brien was OUR new signing. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    paulfox said:
    To be fair to him he didn’t try and say that’s why they lost and they were unlucky, he was clearly disappointed with his teams performance. So respect for that.
    Danny Cowley looked like a man under great pressure, he looks a lot older since arriving in Pompey ..  as you say, he fronted up and made no excuses
  • Options
    Bailey said:
    WOW - The Sky coverage after the game, just shocking - Briefly chat with CBT and Washington - Then quick back to Deadline Day, when its being covered on another bloody channel
    If I heard it wrong apologies, sure they said Aiden O'Brien was OUR new signing. 
    No they said pompeys new man.
  • Options
    Gribbo said:
    Think this is the worst presenter / pundit combo I've ever heard
    I’m dull as fuck but that combo makes even me seem a hoot ffs
  • Options
    PWR.

Battling performance and a deserved victory. Just hope Chuks and Inniss aren't out for the rest of the season.
  • Options
    I thought Dobson was motm by some distance 
  • Options
    And a big happy birthday to Gary Doherty
  • Options
    Bliba bloba wibble wooo. 
  • Options
    Didn’t see that coming at all , although I hadn’t done my homework and realised how utter shit Pompey currently are .

Thought it was pretty scrappy bur we had that touch more class than them .
    Pompey 2 points from 4 games previous and us 4 points from our previous 5 games meant neither side were brimming with confidence .
    We were definitely the better side and deserved to win , thanks Lino and Pompey defender .

Jackovid looked and sounded awful .

Most importantly we are safe now and embarrassingly I had a little tot up to see how far we are behind the play offs , now if we can just win our next ten games…

100% League One next year , yippee 

• Options
    Best performance for quite a while and a great atmosphere too. They shaded the opening 15 and closing 15 minutes. We dominated the hour in the middle and thoroughly deserved the win. CBT, Inniss, Dobson and Washington were the stand out players for me. Claire and Morgan also noteworthy. We look so much better when we're confident and direct. Finally got to give credit to our fans, top form tonight. 

Positives aside, there are still some things we could improve on. Delivery at set pieces isn't all that, would like to see more creativity and  greater accuracy. We looked more than a little leggy at the end (and rightly so, given the effort), but I didn't feel the subs freshened things up as much as they might. Chuks needs to calm down a bit, he could easily have got sent off for a completely nutso reason.