Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Post-match Thread: Portsmouth vs Charlton Athletic | Monday 31st January @ 7:45pm

Comments

• Options
    Better performance. Actully played some nice stuff at times. After the opening 10 mins I didnt see that coming, we looked shaky at the back and vulnerable down both flanks.

Ultimately, we arent a great team, so if you are going to win games the work rate has to be spot on. For whatever reason that has been lacking in recent weeks, was definitely back tonight.

Clare was superb and my MOM. Looked like an absolute Rolls Royce of a player tonight. Best game I have seen CBT have for us and had that first half shot gone in, he may now be the holder of our best goal ever title!

Still concerns me how fragile we looked after Innis went off. Hopefully Lavelle isn't far off. Innis was limping when he left the field so who knows whethe he is gong to miss games again.

Chuks started slowly but was a real handful over all. What was he playing at at the end though? You can't be putting an arm on the Ref. Pretty sure he has been booked for stupid petualant reactions in all 3 games since he has been back.

If only Gilbey's ball skills were as good as his engine? Bloke never stops running.

Wil be interested to see where Fraser fits as I doubt he has come to sit on the bench, assume it will be for Glbey. 

Very strange that neither of the other loan signings were even on the bench?

Overall a deserved win, but missed chances ended up making it far harder work than it should have been.

And bloody hell, Jackson did not look well at all! Assume he had a Covid test beforehand!!!

I imagine Fraser will take Albie's place. 
  • Options
    edited January 2022
    Jac_52 said:
    Better performance. Actully played some nice stuff at times. After the opening 10 mins I didnt see that coming, we looked shaky at the back and vulnerable down both flanks.

Ultimately, we arent a great team, so if you are going to win games the work rate has to be spot on. For whatever reason that has been lacking in recent weeks, was definitely back tonight.

Clare was superb and my MOM. Looked like an absolute Rolls Royce of a player tonight. Best game I have seen CBT have for us and had that first half shot gone in, he may now be the holder of our best goal ever title!

Still concerns me how fragile we looked after Innis went off. Hopefully Lavelle isn't far off. Innis was limping when he left the field so who knows whethe he is gong to miss games again.

Chuks started slowly but was a real handful over all. What was he playing at at the end though? You can't be putting an arm on the Ref. Pretty sure he has been booked for stupid petualant reactions in all 3 games since he has been back.

If only Gilbey's ball skills were as good as his engine? Bloke never stops running.

Wil be interested to see where Fraser fits as I doubt he has come to sit on the bench, assume it will be for Glbey. 

Overall a deserved win, but missed chances ended up making it far harder work than it should have been.

And bloody hell, Jackson did not look well at all! Assume he had a Covid test beforehand!!!

A few weeks ago yes … now I’m not so sure … however Gilbey Dobson and Fraser looks good 
  • Options
    Nice to hear Cowley isnt focusing on the offside goal... Feels that Pompey should have done a lot better overall
    It was a good post match interview

He acknowledged the offside goal, but didn't whinge for 5 minutes about officials not doing their job properly and "killing us"
  • Options
    Nice result to wake up to for a change. Thanks for the birthday present.
    COYR 
  • Options
    Any news on Innis? Quickly taken off in the second half. Hope nothing is wrong with him.
  • Options
    A curious game, in that Pompey started well and should have scored early, but we got back into the game got a lucky goal, and then dominated the next 45 minutes, until Pompey's subs turned things round, and made the ending really tense.

Clare my MOTM, excellent at both ends of the pitch. Morgan, Dobson, Matthews, CBT all played well also. Chuks was a handful, but he REALLY needs to stop acting like an arsehole on the pitch, the ref could easily have sent him off and cost us a 3 match ban

Craig played well in front of his former home fans BUT will be disappointed with the goal he conceded in front of the Fratton End.
  • Options
    Any news on Innis? Quickly taken off in the second half. Hope nothing is wrong with him.
    Thought it was mentioned that he was feeling his hamstring and was taken off as a precaution. More concerned about Aneke as it looked as though he limped off.
    And do we know what has happened to Lavelle?
  • Options
    stonemuse said:
    Jac_52 said:

A few weeks ago yes … now I’m not so sure … however Gilbey Dobson and Fraser looks good 

Yeah Albie was decent tonight overall so deserves to keep his place for now. Extra competition for places can only be healthy and will hopefully let us make subs that can positively influence games for once.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    He looked completely shattered so hopefully it was just precautionary as tonight proved just how important he is. That tackle in the second half was Balloon d'Or worthy and we absolutely and predictably collapsed when Pearce came on.
  • Options

4-5 games now
  • Options
    Great to see CBT, Clare and Morgan playing well. Here's hoping for 15 match winning run now!! 
  • Options
    One of our better performances this season & deservedly came away with all 3 points. Clare was my MOTM with CBT a close second with probably his best match since Gills away. Gilbey made some decent runs with the ball & Matthews showed that wing backs needn't be 20 year old Premiership loanees. All in all a good Sky viewing experience, which hasn't been said for a while.

I thought both Innis & Aneke were subbed as a precaution - Innis after the great tackle to avoid their player scoring & Aneke to stop him getting sent off (as well as not being able to play sat/sat/sat 😄). 
  • Options
    What a good game and result. Let’s now chip away and see where we can land?
  • Options
    WOW - The Sky coverage after the game, just shocking - Briefly chat with CBT and Washington - Then quick back to Deadline Day, when its being covered on another bloody channel
    Think you switched off too early then. There was an interview with Jacko and Cowley too then McAnuff said some nice things about us.
  • Options
    Valley11 said:
    I thought Dobson was motm by some distance 
    Absolutely outstanding.  Not as all action as he is sometimes but always in the right place. He’s our most important and, dare I say, best player 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited February 2022
    Bit a of a scrappy opening 10/15 minutes from both sides, then the next 50 odd was Caretaker Jacko level of performance, last 20 was "typical Charlton" territory.

A very good away win and a much needed 3 points for confidence and to pull away from the danger of relegation. Still won't get carried away and declare it a new (third) dawn.  

Special mention for our offside goal, nice to get one given for a change!

Extra special mention to Inniss for that tackle. 
  • Options
    Their openings seemed to mainly come when CBT was caught on the wrong side tracking his man. That's something we need to work on as a team when he's bombing forward.

In a way it suits us having the more defensive of our wing backs on the right, so Clare has more license to surprise them going forward.
  • Options
    Well pleased with that result. They all played their part. Still not gonna give up hope of the playoffs. Win the next few and you never know. 
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    WOW - The Sky coverage after the game, just shocking - Briefly chat with CBT and Washington - Then quick back to Deadline Day, when its being covered on another bloody channel
    Think you switched off too early then. There was an interview with Jacko and Cowley too then McAnuff said some nice things about us.
    @cafc4life kindly pointed out that I was watching on the "wrong" channel

I had Sky Sports Main Event on, whereas I guess you all had Sky Sports Football on

Managed to switch over just in time for the Jackson interview
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    Valley11 said:
    I thought Dobson was motm by some distance 
    Think Clare will get MOTM this week. Superb performance defensively and a brilliant assist. As someone said earlier, a Rolls Royce of a player who's improving as the season progresses.
    Thoroughly enjoyable match to watch, apart from the last ten minutes. We lost our composure, and Portsmouth gained some self belief and energy from somewhere. I fear that Inniss going off was at least 50% responsible for the panic stations, so let's hope he's ok for Saturday. He really adds so much at both ends of the pitch.
    Chuks needs to see a top sports psychologist asap - he so easy to wind up, which is a real Achilles heel for a forward. He was good otherwise. Morrell needs a retrospective second yellow for going round slapping our players all over the shop. Right in front of the ref as well.
    Dobbo was great again despite mistiming a couple of challenges slightly. The fact that he doesn't get more yellows is a testament to what a great tackler he is. Really need to hang on to him in the summer.
    CBT seems to be growing in confidence, and it's great to see a forward not being afraid to shoot. If that long range effort had swerved a little less we might have received last minute Prem interest ;-) The only way to stop him is to put two players on him, and in the second half they sometimes had three.
    It was great to have that two goal cushion, but we should really have made it three.
    Albie I'd written off completely a few weeks ago, but now wouldn't be unhappy if we kept him as a squad player at least. He's certainly been getting more involved over the last few matches, and his free kicks and corners are a step up from Lee's. Gilbey is such a frustrating player. Looks quite elegant, but his control and passing keep letting him down. Again, fine as a squad player, for me.
    I'm quite excited to see what the new signings will offer over the next few weeks. Bring on Wimbledon! (Will Burstowe play?) I hope we might get a decent crowd for that one, and a win (and other results going in our favour) might *almost* rekindle hopes of a late push for the playoffs, something I'd written off completely after the Crewe match. We're 13 points behind Karl Robinson's Oxford though, so it still seems massively unlikely. Even so, a higher finish will only help us attract quality players in the summer, when we can make use of the munificent funds received from Chelsea. 
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    Bit a of a scrappy opening 10/15 minutes from both sides, then the next 50 odd was Caretaker Jacko level of performance, last 20 was "typical Charlton" territory.

A very good away win and a much needed 3 points for confidence and to pull away from the danger of relegation. Still won't get carried away and declare it a new (third) dawn.  

Special mention for our offside goal, nice to get one given for a change!

Extra special mention to Inniss for that tackle. 
    When they scored it was 100% against the run of play, as mentioned by the commentators. There were ten minutes left at that point. Not sure where they found the six minutes of injury time. And we did lose our composure when we should have been playing keep ball. Should really have hit them on the break during that period though, although we were a bit leggy by then.