Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Post-match Thread: Portsmouth vs Charlton Athletic | Monday 31st January @ 7:45pm

Comments

• Options
    Do we know why neither Castillo or John were on the bench on Monday?
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:
    Leuth said:
    He did put a few decent balls in. He will never get to the byline, into the box or past a man, but he does allow for Clare to over/underlap. What a strange arrangement. Worked last time out mind 
    The reason we had the more defensive Matthews in RWB role was I suggest because Jacko had selected CBT to play as an explosive attack minded LWB on the other side.
    It was an inspired change. CBT had his best game to date and scared the shite out of the Pompey defence.
    Matthews and Clare combined really well and Matthews presence allowed Clare to carry the ball forward offensively on occasion. We had the added attacking threat of Matthews long throw.
    I found the change refreshing given Jaiyesimi's inability to make a significant contribution recently.
    In fact I am losing faith in Project Jaiyesimi.
    Whether he "gets to the byline" (never?), "into the box" or "past a man" he consistently fails to deliver an end product. In a football sense he appears brain dead.
    He has one assist this season.
    DJ has played his part this season, trying tio adapt to an unfamiliar position.
    He's had some good games, but his form tailed off when the team was struggling.

IMO Jacko has changed the set up purely to get more pace in the side out wide.
    Not only CBT as the attacking wing back obviously, but also utilising the pace and athleticsm of Clare on the right hand side.

The defensive wingback Matthews, playing as an advanced fullback (as did Purrington on the left, a few games ago) drops to RCB to cover allowing Clare to get forward as an overlapping CB, often not picked up by an opponent. 

Clare has got a great engine, pace and able to run with the ball.
    Until it gets worked out by the opposition, Jacko has found a way to further utilise Clare's attributes in a way over and above his normal RCB duties.

I think DJ has put in some great crosses, but when Stockley is not playing there has not been anyone to take advantage. When Stockley is not playing we need something different. It looks like JJ has come up with an effective solution.
  • Options
    Yeah...such a great tackle. Love Innis.
  • Options
    I like all the recent positivity on here regarding a possible 6th (or above) placed finish. As most have said it’s a tall order but maybe just maybe…….The fat lady hasn’t started singing just yet!
  • Options
    clive said:
    Take an alternative look at Charlton's victory over Portsmouth in Sky Bet League One at Fratton Park.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nrU0gQpKCw0
    He has a decent throw, of course - but interesting that the defensive and much maligned Matthews played a key part in the build up of both goals, plus also the chance that Gilbey crashed against the post.

Matthews has a good touch on the ball, usually very calm and composed.

• Options
    Bods64 said:
    I like all the recent positivity on here regarding a possible 6th (or above) placed finish. As most have said it’s a tall order but maybe just maybe…….The fat lady hasn’t started singing just yet!
    That fat lady was singing months ago, we’re onto her 4th encore at this point!

I genuinely believe we’ll have a good end to the season, but we won’t challenge 6th at all.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Bods64 said:

I genuinely believe we’ll have a good end to the season, but we won’t challenge 6th at all.
    You just don't know though, do you? :smile:

Football can be wonderfully unpredictable ....... remember when Plymouth Argyle were bottom at Christmas and then won just about every game until we beat them 2-0 in Bowyer's 1st game as manager? Sure, they didn't make it:  we derailed them a bit with that defeat and they had a little wobble; they nevertheless finished 7th but if they'd beaten us at The Valley they would have made the final play off place.

And in the couple of years before that we saw both Barnsley and Millwall rise from the relegation positions just before Christmas-  to snatch 6th place in the final game, win at Wembley and promoted.

My favourite unpredictable form though was the other way round -  December 1995, Millwall top of the division; surely a guaranteed 3 points as always against local rivals Charlton. You of course know the story: Morts in the snow, etc. 

How on earth can a team top of the table halfway through the season get themselves relegated?
    We played our part that year, but Millwall did the rest all on their own.

"Funny old game, Saint."

• Options
    Oggy Red said:
    Bods64 said:

Football can be wonderfully unpredictable ....... remember when Plymouth Argyle were bottom at Christmas and then won just about every game until we beat them 2-0 in Bowyer's 1st game as manager? Sure, they didn't make it:  we derailed them a bit with that defeat and they had a little wobble; they nevertheless finished 7th but if they'd beaten us at The Valley they would have made the final play off place.

And in the couple of years before that we saw both Barnsley and Millwall rise from the relegation positions just before Christmas-  to snatch 6th place in the final game, win at Wembley and promoted.

My favourite unpredictable form though was the other way round -  December 1995, Millwall top of the division; surely a guaranteed 3 points as always against local rivals Charlton. You of course know the story: Morts in the snow, etc. 

How on earth can a team top of the table halfway through the season get themselves relegated?

"Funny old game, Saint."

I know what you mean, and I admire the optimism! I just don’t believe the team is good enough to win pretty much every game from now until the end of the season. Even when Jacko had that wonderful start we barely put a dent in the points gap. 

This League One is a lot better in quality than the one where Plymouth had that incredible run. Shrewsbury and Scunthorpe where comfortably in the top 6 that year. 

It was only a week ago where we got completely outplayed by Hartlepool. This isn’t a promotion ready team and the final league table will reflect that. 
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    He did put a few decent balls in. He will never get to the byline, into the box or past a man, but he does allow for Clare to over/underlap. What a strange arrangement. Worked last time out mind 

Thought you'd love overlapping centre backs https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ReXcFBg_5cc
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    If we were 14 points behind, and in 10th, I’d think we’d have a chance, but not from 15th place.
    We’d need to gain 14 points on nine clubs to get to 6th place (and we’d need a superior goal difference). 
    It’s mathematically very unlikely that nine clubs will collect 14 points less than us before the end of the season, unfortunately. 
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:
    If we were 14 points behind, and in 10th, I’d think we’d have a chance, but not from 15th place.
    We’d need to gain 14 points on nine clubs to get to 6th place (and we’d need a superior goal difference). 
    It’s mathematically very unlikely that nine clubs will collect 14 points less than us before the end of the season, unfortunately. 
    We don't need to gain 14 points on 9 clubs to get to 6th.
    We need to gain 14 on Oxford, 11 on Plymouth, 10 on Sheff W, 5 on Ipswich, 3 on Burton, 2 on Bolton & Pompey and 1 on Cambridge & Accrington to go level on points with them.
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    JamesSeed said:
    We need to gain 14 on Oxford, 11 on Plymouth, 10 on Sheff W, 5 on Ipswich, 3 on Burton, 2 on Bolton & Pompey and 1 on Cambridge & Accrington to go level on points with them.
    That’s true. Brain freeze by me there. 
    But isn’t it true that if only one of the clubs between us and Oxford collects one more point than us between now and the end of the season, then we’d finish outside the top 6? (Lost all confidence in my maths!)
    Bearing in mind the points gap between us and Oxford, Plymouth and Wednesday that’s pretty unlikely, although not mathematically impossible I guess. Just can’t see us gathering enough points, based on our fragility, let alone all of them doing worse, or very much worse than us. 
  • Options
    Win 13 of our remaining 18 games and we’ll have a good chance of making the playoffs.
  • Options
    This is Charlton.  We will probably lose to Wimbledon 1-0 down to a defensive cock up and our new signing will do a hammy tripping over a discarded Lucozade bottle warming up!

• Options
     Win the next game and go from there I’d say.
  • Options
    paulfox said:
    Then win every other game until the end of the season ............. who says it cannot happen?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Oggy Red said:
    Bods64 said:

"Funny old game, Saint."

I know what you mean, and I admire the optimism! I just don’t believe the team is good enough to win pretty much every game from now until the end of the season. Even when Jacko had that wonderful start we barely put a dent in the points gap. 

This League One is a lot better in quality than the one where Plymouth had that incredible run. Shrewsbury and Scunthorpe where comfortably in the top 6 that year. 

It was only a week ago where we got completely outplayed by Hartlepool. This isn’t a promotion ready team and the final league table will reflect that. 
    I'm not really disagreeing with you, @ElliotCAFC

Like you, I think it's probably a step too far.
    But right now, it's still possible ...... so while the chance (however slim) is still there, it doesn't hurt your spirit to keep an open mind.

It's not even about my or anyone else's optimism.  Imagine if Jacko said to the team, "Righto, lads. That's it. We don't have a chance. We're focusing now on building a team for next season and half of you are being let go."

It would kill the season stone dead and nobody would be bothered anymore, just going through the motions.
    The next thing you know, the team's in tailspin and plummeting towards the relegation places.

One thing we know though: Jacko still believes we have that slim chance. He's said so.
    It's still there and something to drive us on - until it's beyond our grasp. But you never will know if you quit early.

• Options
    paulfox said:
    Exactly what Jacko himself keeps saying.

• Options
    If we win five out of our next seven games against tough opposition, I will start to believe
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    Leuth said:

Thought you'd love overlapping centre backs https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ReXcFBg_5cc
    Come home, Naby. Just for Leuth.  :smile:

• Options
    JamesSeed said:
    Yeah, you right. Good reason to give up now. :smile:

• Options
    edited February 2022
    JamesSeed said:
    Don't forget, these clubs still have to play each other - and can't both win.
    Even a draw means points will be dropped.

Most of these teams also have to play Charlton.
    That much at least, is in our own hands.

It's a tall order, of course - however the possibility is still there. But we can't afford too many injuries and we need to win games.

• Options
    Oggy Red said:
    JamesSeed said:

I was wrong. 
  • Options
    Sean Clare was immense and is growing into a brilliant defender, has all the attributes. Still not sure about Morgan think we have better and he is not the quality we need in that position but happy to be proved wrong. 
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:
    Oggy Red said:
    JamesSeed said:

I was wrong. 
    No, you weren't wrong @JamesSeed

You just don't know.

Anymore than I do! :smile:

• Options
    Oggy Red said:
    JamesSeed said:
    Oggy Red said:
    JamesSeed said:

I was wrong. 
    No, you weren't wrong @JamesSeed

You just don't know.

Anymore than I do! :smile:
    I’ll take that as a compliment 😉