Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Post-match Thread: Portsmouth vs Charlton Athletic | Monday 31st January @ 7:45pm

Comments

• Options
    Back to a similar level of performance to the early Jacko games. If we can win the next 3, and other results go in our favour, climbing towards 6th place is a real possibility.
    Hoping the new recruits help make that difference once they have bedded in, need a little more quality when moving the ball quickly, and an attacking midfielder that utilises the spaces created when CBT has 2 or 3 players on him.

• Options
    Back to a similar level of performance to the early Jacko games. If we can win the next 3, and other results go in our favour, climbing towards 6th place is a real possibility.
    Hoping the new recruits help make that difference once they have bedded in, need a little more quality when moving the ball quickly, and an attacking midfielder that utilises the spaces created when CBT has 2 or 3 players on him.

I think climbing up the table and getting solidly placed in the top halve is certainly possible. But there is no way we will get in the top 6 - the teams up that end are to many points ahead, and to consistent for us to close the gap. 
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    I think climbing up the table and getting solidly placed in the top halve is certainly possible. But there is no way we will get in the top 6 - the teams up that end are to many points ahead, and to consistent for us to close the gap. 

Most likely you are right. But if we dream for just a second, what an end to the season that would make - scraping into 6th place on last game of the season... Club and fans would be buzzing.
  • Options
    Still don't know where that ref got 6 minutes from.

Think Innis was lucky, for what appeared to be a forearm smash in the back of the oppos head.

Good day out, good atmosphere although the old bill took the drum at half time for some reason because some div elsewhere set a flare off.

Also that idiot who punched a steward then ran when the old bill turned up. To clarify he wasn't charlton, kept telling those around him he was a Wycombe fan and only come because of his boss.
  • Options

Too right.
  • Options
    Did Jacko get booked or not?
  • Options
    Gribbo said:
    Did Jacko get booked or not?
    Yes
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Perhaps i'm blinded because I really don't rate him, but I thought Morgan was just very wasteful again last night. The odd flash of brilliance but the amount of times he gave the ball away and put CBT under pressure annoyed me.
  • Options
    Really impressed by Clare yesterday - seemed to be all over the pitch.

I think this had a lot to do with Matthews playing outside him. A defensive minded right wing-back gave Clare the license to get forward more and make a difference further up the pitch.  Hope we see a good partnership between these 2 forming for the rest of the season.  Will be worth offering Matthews a new contract next season if so, particularly with his long throw - could be very useful next year.
  • Options
    Please no, although Matthews is better than Gunter he's actually bang average 
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    I love beating the Cowleys because I think they've an overrated pair of plonkers who build nasty teams. So I doubly enjoyed that last night. 

The last 15 minutes were painful and we have to manage games better than that. When we're losing 2-1 at home the opposition are winning fouls, keeping the ball, getting it in the corner... But we were all over the place and lucky to escape with the 3 points. 

Thought CBT was electric. Morgan was excellent and if he can keep playing like that, the place is his. I hope it has finally clicked for him.

Gilbey was AWFUL but didn't stop running, I do prefer him in the 10 role to Lee at the moment if just for his movement. But he doesn't have the quality and that makes him too inconsistent. Washington's finishing is also just not good enough to be a starter in a promotion-winning team. The guy needs 5-6 chances to score. That 'effort' at the end was abysmal.

Nice to think that we have players like Fraser, Castillo, John, Stockley and Burstow to come back into them team.

Let's have a decent run, please lads, enough of the misery.
  • Options
    Had a sinking feeling when I saw the line ups. What do I know? Pompey weren't really there for a long period in the middle of the game. Clare, CBT, Dobson all had good games, and some intelligent play from both Morgan and Matthews. 
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    I didn’t see all of the game as I’m on lots of painkillers at the moment and regularly  dozed off. From what I did see I thought Pompey were absolute wank (and nasty beggars to boot). But you can only beat what’s in front of you and for 70 mins we were excellent with Clare in particular a revelation. For once we got a couple of pieces of luck. A little less wasteful and we’d have been out of sight. However, our game management towards the end was woeful and someone needs to have a serious word with Chuks who just seems to lose the plot for no reason. He’s already an injury risk and we can’t afford to lose him to stupid suspensions. Hopefully those points just about ease the relegation worries as I fail to see that we will not get another three or four wins from the remaining games, even if some of our soon to be departees down tools as the season winds to a close. A good night soured by the news of Burstow’s departure which leaves a bad taste in a number of levels. Footy eh?  
  • Options
    mendonca said:
    Morrell - what a prat he is. 
    So glad someone else noticed that. Knobhead of the highest order. His roll seemed to be to roll around on the floor like he had been shot or wave an imaginery card at the ref when trying to get most of our team booked. Complete tosser.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    They've come out with this tweet deliberately havent they!!

Of all the shocking performances over the last 18 months has Inniss been fit for any of them? 

He clearly wasn't fit at the start of the season so excluding them.... 
  • Options
    I end up watching Innis like am on "Player Cam" as it's just bloody interesting and menacing. 
  • Options
    They've come out with this tweet deliberately havent they!!

My favourite thing about the Inniss tackle is afterwards, when Famewo and Clare go to congratulate him, Clare gives him a proper two-handed shove in the back. When Inniss turns around he's ready to absolutely murder whoever shoved him, then realises it was Clare and calms down. The look on his face at 12 seconds is terrifying
  • Options
    clive said:
    Good end to end game of football. Decent for the neutral, and a great advert for league one football.

I know he scored, but we seriously need to find a better striker than Washington if we want to go up next season. He is so wasteful.
  • Options
    mendonca said:
    I end up watching Innis like am on "Player Cam" as it's just bloody interesting and menacing. 
    Very few scary footballers around anymore but he is certainly one of them