Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Post-match Thread: Portsmouth vs Charlton Athletic | Monday 31st January @ 7:45pm

Comments

• Options
    edited February 2022
    A truly very impressive performance from everyone, Dobson, Clare, Morgan, Taylor, Innis, you could name them all, a team as one, pressing as one, defending as one, and a win that was thoroughly deserved, and of course not to forget our twelfth man the traveling Addicks..well done, Pompey must really hate us turning up.. B)

• Options
    Croydon said:
    clive said:
    Good end to end game of football. Decent for the neutral, and a great advert for league one football.

I know he scored, but we seriously need to find a better striker than Washington if we want to go up next season. He is so wasteful.
    Washington's movement off the ball is excellent, but he is not a natural finisher, if he was he wouldn't be playing in L1. Agree we need better if you are talking about starters but a player like him on the bench with his workrate and movement wouldn't be that bad.
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    I think I mentioned this before, but I reckon our formation works much better with one ‘defensive’ wing back (ie Purrington or Matthews) and one attacking one (CBT, Jaiyesimi or Leko). We look more balanced that way, whereas with, say, Leko on one side and CBT on the other, we look all over the shop. 
    I guess Castillo being a traditional wing back, our only one, might affect things, and it’ll be interesting to see who JJ selects on the right flank if he starts Castillo on the left. Perhaps a defensive one for away matches, and an attacking one when at home?

Oh, and CBT’s superb dribble and shot reminded me of Mavididi’s up at Rochdale (?), although the latter blew his one on one with the keeper. 

• Options
    Any updates on injuries? ...stockley, inniss chuks 
  • Options
    unfortunately don't now be surprised if we don't see Ryan for a couple of weeks.

Shame he's so fragile as he's absolutely immense when he plays
  • Options
    Did Aneke come off before he was sent off or does he have an injury?
  • Options
    We should admit that Matthews had quite a good game. Some accurate crossing and throws.

The only issue with the throw-ins initially was that Clare wanted/should have taken them as that's the only way we will push up, ie RCB throws with Wing back further up, not vice versa. They seemed to work this out between themselves later.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Clare and Matthews worked very well together, effectively taking it in turns to be the one further forward, which is much harder for the opposition to mark. I'm sure that confusion was part of the reason Clare was free to put in the excellent cross for the second goal.
  • Options
    unfortunately don't now be surprised if we don't see Ryan for a couple of weeks.

Lavelle surely must be near to a return now?
  • Options
    Back to a similar level of performance to the early Jacko games. If we can win the next 3, and other results go in our favour, climbing towards 6th place is a real possibility.
    Hoping the new recruits help make that difference once they have bedded in, need a little more quality when moving the ball quickly, and an attacking midfielder that utilises the spaces created when CBT has 2 or 3 players on him.

I think climbing up the table and getting solidly placed in the top halve is certainly possible. But there is no way we will get in the top 6 - the teams up that end are to many points ahead, and to consistent for us to close the gap. 
    I dare say you'll eventually be proved correct .... but every season, there's a leading team or 2 in the final run-in that goes into freefall.

Sure, they'll be other teams at the moment better placed to take advantage - but the beauty of the season is nothing is a foregone conclusion. It's likely that it's not in our own hands but if we truly put a consistant winning run together (like we did in 2019), a 6th place is not yet impossible.

It's been done before. Can we do it? Probably not, but you never quite know how the rest of the season will unfold.

• Options
    JamesSeed said:
    I think I mentioned this before, but I reckon our formation works much better with one ‘defensive’ wing back (ie Purrington or Matthews) and one attacking one (CBT, Jaiyesimi or Leko). We look more balanced that way, whereas with, say, Leko on one side and CBT on the other, we look all over the shop. 
    I guess Castillo being a traditional wing back, our only one, might affect things, and it’ll be interesting to see who JJ selects on the right flank if he starts Castillo on the left. Perhaps a defensive one for away matches, and an attacking one when at home?

Ih and CBT’s superb dribble and shot reminded me of Mavididi’s up at Rochdale (?), although the latter blew his one on one with the keeper. 

Jacko has said before that he likes to play one defensive WB and an attacking one.
    The intention is that the defensive WB drops into the backline to make a back 4 on the occasions it's needed.

Jacko himself calls it his "lopsided" formation.

• Options
    edited February 2022
    If we averaged 2 points a game (just over), we would get to 72 points which probably isn't enough but has been. It is getting into the region. The thing is, it isn't likely but it is possible. We just need to look at the next game and then the next and see where we are as the season closes. We put a run of wins together - say 6 - and it will go below 2 points a game for 75 points wich is often enough.

I don't think we will do it. We are too fragile and reliant on certain players, but it isn't impossible. It just can't be targeted. Like I said, take each game as it comes. We don't know how long Stockley is out for and he is a key player if we are going to go on a run.
  • Options
    If we averaged 2 points a game (just over), we would get to 72 points which probably isn't enough but has been. It is getting into the region. The thing is, it isn't likely but it is possible. We just need to look at the next game and then the next and see where we are as the season closes. We put a run of wins together - say 6 - and it will go below 2 points a game for 75 points wich is often enough.

I don't think we will do it. We are too fragile and reliant on certain players, but it isn't impossible. It just can't be targeted. Like I said, take each game as it comes. We don't know how long Stockley is out for and he is a key player if we are going to go on a run.
    Chucks and Inniss injured too. Key players also. If we can keep relatively injury free you never know. 
  • Options
    edited February 2022

Exactly what Jacko himself has said recently.

He said, the plan is just to win the next game and see where it takes us.

• Options

Dreading seeing that team sheet on Twitter on Saturday at 2PM and not seeing his name. Unfortunately, he’s not the player like Washington who you would expect to see on the Tuesday. If he is out injured he’s out for a while.
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    Oggy Red said:
    JamesSeed said:

Ih and CBT’s superb dribble and shot reminded me of Mavididi’s up at Rochdale (?), although the latter blew his one on one with the keeper. 

Jacko has said before that he likes to play one defensive WB and an attacking one.
    The intention is that the defensive WB drops into the backline to make a back 4 on the occasions it's needed.

Jacko himself calls it his "lopsided" formation.
    Thanks Oggy, hadn’t seen that. I think he’s onto something there :-)
  • Options
    mendonca said:
    We should admit that Matthews had quite a good game. Some accurate crossing and throws.

The only issue with the throw-ins initially was that Clare wanted/should have taken them as that's the only way we will push up, ie RCB throws with Wing back further up, not vice versa. They seemed to work this out between themselves later.
    Yes, nice to see Matthews having a good game. Have always liked him but first to admit he has had some mixed performances this year. He has been in and out of the team along with being out for some time after the away win at Sunderland at the start of JJ's reign, so perhaps he just needs a run of a few games. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    He did put a few decent balls in. He will never get to the byline, into the box or past a man, but he does allow for Clare to over/underlap. What a strange arrangement. Worked last time out mind 
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    Matthews put in a few lovely crosses but we're heading into the final third of the season and he's out of contract, so perhaps he's decided to show up again. I personally hope we aren't re-signing him because we need more consistent players who actually want to play for us. His injury record also isn't the best.
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:
    Back to a similar level of performance to the early Jacko games. If we can win the next 3, and other results go in our favour, climbing towards 6th place is a real possibility.
    Hoping the new recruits help make that difference once they have bedded in, need a little more quality when moving the ball quickly, and an attacking midfielder that utilises the spaces created when CBT has 2 or 3 players on him.

I think climbing up the table and getting solidly placed in the top halve is certainly possible. But there is no way we will get in the top 6 - the teams up that end are to many points ahead, and to consistent for us to close the gap. 
    I dare say you'll eventually be proved correct .... but every season, there's a leading team or 2 in the final run-in that goes into freefall.

Sure, they'll be other teams at the moment better placed to take advantage - but the beauty of the season is nothing is a foregone conclusion. It's likely that it's not in our own hands but if we truly put a consistant winning run together (like we did in 2019), a 6th place is not yet impossible.

It's been done before. Can we do it? Probably not, but you never quite know how the rest of the season will unfold.

In a normal season, that might be the case, but this year there are so many teams with a shout of the top 6 that we'd need several teams to slump. Never mind the current top 6, we'd still need to get above Plymouth, Wednesday, Ipswich and in form Bolton. We're 10 points behind 8th place Wednesday for example

Not impossible, but a long shot.
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    Matthews put in a few lovely crosses but we're heading into the final third of the season and he's out of contract, so perhaps he's decided to show up again. I personally hope we aren't re-signing him because we need more consistent players who actually want to play for us. His injury record also isn't the best.
    There's something off putting about a player who's had 3 one year contracts! It shows a lack of enthusiasm, whether from the club or the player...
  • Options
    mendonca said:

Yes, nice to see Matthews having a good game. Have always liked him but first to admit he has had some mixed performances this year. He has been in and out of the team along with being out for some time after the away win at Sunderland at the start of JJ's reign, so perhaps he just needs a run of a few games. 
    Definitely had his mojo back for this game. It's been a while.
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:

In a normal season, that might be the case, but this year there are so many teams with a shout of the top 6 that we'd need several teams to slump. Never mind the current top 6, we'd still need to get above Plymouth, Wednesday, Ipswich and in form Bolton. We're 10 points behind 8th place Wednesday for example

Not impossible, but a long shot.
    That's more or less what I was trying to say.

My other point: not only do we need to average  around 2 points a game for the rest of the season, but we need other teams to fail also. Usually some do. It musn't be us though, if Jacko believes we still have a chance.

All these teams still have to play each other (and us). Both teams in a game can't win. Both teams drop points if they draw.
    That's another factor that still gives us a slim chance. And no chance at all if Charton can't put together a consistant winning run.

Not really in our own hands. But you never know!

• Options
    Leuth said:
    He did put a few decent balls in. He will never get to the byline, into the box or past a man, but he does allow for Clare to over/underlap. What a strange arrangement. Worked last time out mind 
    The reason we had the more defensive Matthews in RWB role was I suggest because Jacko had selected CBT to play as an explosive attack minded LWB on the other side.
    It was an inspired change. CBT had his best game to date and scared the shite out of the Pompey defence.
    Matthews and Clare combined really well and Matthews presence allowed Clare to carry the ball forward offensively on occasion. We had the added attacking threat of Matthews long throw.
    I found the change refreshing given Jaiyesimi's inability to make a significant contribution recently.
    In fact I am losing faith in Project Jaiyesimi.
    Whether he "gets to the byline" (never?), "into the box" or "past a man" he consistently fails to deliver an end product. In a football sense he appears brain dead.
    He has one assist this season.
  • Options
    Blucher said:

A shaky first 10 or 15 minutes during which we could easily have conceded but, thereafter, we took control of the game in midfield, with Morgan - in particular - and Dobson very impressive. There was an almost uncharacteristic calmness to our play, although Portsmouth were poor out of (as well as in) possession and afforded us an awful lot of time and space in the middle of the park.

Blackett-Taylor terrified Pompey with his electric pace and nearly scored the goal of the season after running practically the length of the pitch. Our half time lead was well deserved, even if Chuks was blatantly offside, although when Gilbey missed a gilt-edged chance to make it 2-0, the fear was that we’d live to regret it.

In the event, Portsmouth produced no meaningful reaction after the break, lacking both any creativity in midfield and any penetration up front. We made it 2-0 after a lovely overlap and cross from Clare and that appeared to be that until Pompey pulled a goal back late on, totally out of the blue. With Inniss off and Jacobs and Curtis livening up the home side, we had to endure a nervous last 10 minutes or so, plus 6 of injury time but thankfully saw it out for a vital 3 points. We had a couple of scares although could easily have scored a third goal to make the game safe, with Chuks having a goal disallowed and Washington slashing a good chance wide.

We’re now 8 points clear of Morecambe in the last relegation slot and a win on Saturday at Wimbledon should more or less banish any residual concerns, even with two tough away games next week.

I thought Pompey looked pretty bovine in their approach and I can see why they’ve struggled to score goals. On the basis of that performance and recent form, I think the Cowleys’ days are numbered.

We defended very well for the greater part of the game and Clare was particularly impressive in his athleticism, his reading of the game defensively and his decisive foray forward and cross from the right for our winner. Inniss has real presence at both ends of the pitch and is a major headache for opponents at set plays, including long throws. Mathews had a very solid game on the right and Blackett-Taylor was a revelation on the left. The final ball might not always be there but it’s refreshing to see a Charlton player with the confidence to take on defenders and try and make things happen.

In midfield, Dobson hunted the ball down extremely well as usual and moved it around nicely. Morgan was very impressive with his range of passing and general endeavour. Whilst his tackling is not (and will never be) the best, his level of fitness and ability to anticipate and intercept the ball were impressive. Gilbey had an unhappy evening, miscontrolling the ball and turning over possession a couple of times early on and then failing to capitalise on a couple of opportunities. A shame, because he make a lot of intelligent late runs into the box and just seems to be lacking the confidence to apply the finishing touch.

Up top, Chuks had a very quiet start to the game but grew into it and had a good second half, other than his moment of madness in barging into the ref (just as well Kettle wasn’t in charge). Wahington’s movement and endeavour was good as usual and he showed good anticipation for his goal. His poor effort near the end did, however, illustrate his limitations and why he’s never scored more than 12 goals in a season.

Overall, a very good team performance and a just reward for the travelling faithful, whose support sounded excellent on the telly. Many would have been reliant upon the vagaries of SouthWestern Railways and I hope the train they put on after the earlier cancellation of the last direct service post-match materialised. A big result and one we will hopefully build upon on Saturday before a couple of testing trips up to the north west.

Great report with a subtle pun thrown in there 
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    They've come out with this tweet deliberately havent they!!

Of all the shocking performances over the last 18 months has Inniss been fit for any of them? 

He clearly wasn't fit at the start of the season so excluding them.... 
    I love the way Famewo and Clare react to that! Either one of those two would have knocked me clean off my feet haha! What a challenge...