Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Post-match Thread: Charlton Athletic vs Oxford United | Saturday 19th February 2022

Comments

• Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    I didn't notice at the time but Clare actively dodged the third shot despite being in its path.
    3rd goal also came as a result of MacG delivering a poor, under-hit kick while trying to hit Inniss who was still up front. Inniss doesn't cover himself in glory either with his slightly lazy run back and failure to try to block the shot. 
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    JamesSeed said:
    Hanlan, Kirk, Taylor, Grant, Davison, Williams all doing well elsewhere. 
    Watching Quest is thoroughly depressing. Watching other clubs doing well is depressing. Why them, not us  
    Finding solace in others doing badly though. Fulham lost. Yay! Man City lost. Palace lost. Yay. Schadenfreude is all we have. 
    Williams has started 12 games this season.
    4 goals and 3 assists. But it is League 2 of course.
    I actually think a lot of our mob are playing a league above where they belong 

Matthews
    Purrington
    Pearce
    Famewo
    Morgan
    Gilbey
    Lee
    DJ
    Leko
    CBT

It might sound harsh, but none of them are consistently good enough to do a job in this league, therefore it means they’re probably one level above where they should be.

Time to get real about what we’ve got.  No more if so and so had better players around him.  Or, we just need to add 3 or 4.

As Jackson says, it’s about next season now.  Secure safety by whatever means possible, and cut the deadwood.  

Unfortunately, all noises coming out the club suggest no more wholesale changes every summer.  

I think @Rob7Lee made a good point earlier when he said we seem to have inherited a nicer version of RD in TS.  There’s not a single fan that won’t be grateful for his financial commitment, but serous questions need to be answered now re; what’s going on with the recruitment and set up of the day to day running of the club.  How realistic is it for his son to have enough knowledge of the game to be able to contribute to our recruitment.  I’m also wondering whether or not it’s time to thank Steve Gallen for his time but find someone else.  Some of his most recent signings have been very poor overall 

Gilbey
    Lee
    Leko
    DJ
    Gunter
    Matthews
    Kirk
    Arter

You can even question whether bringing Aneke back and giving him a 3 year deal was a good idea knowing how many injuries he gets 
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    JamesSeed said:
    Watching Quest is thoroughly depressing. Watching other clubs doing well is depressing. Why them, not us  
    Finding solace in others doing badly though. Fulham lost. Yay! Man City lost. Palace lost. Yay. Schadenfreude is all we have. 
    Still scored more goals than any of our midfielders...... 
  • Options
    wmcf123 said:
    I know Davison isn’t great yet but it’s a nonsense that we let him go on loan.  

Also, unpopular opinion, but why did we re-sign Aneke for so much money, knowing that he’s likely to be regularly injured.  Surely there were better options from cash strapped clubs for less money ?
    No reason we couldn't have kept Davison and signed Aneke.  Surely the club could have made an educated guess that Stockley wouldn't be back any time soon and Chuks couldn't play 90 minutes 3 times a week.  Even if Washington was fit we would still be short. 
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    Vincenzo said:
    Apart from some less than solid goalkeeping, defenders are standing off and letting them shoot. It's so easy for them. Am not Mac's biggest fan, but he gets so little protection. The defenders are simply not making life difficult enough for the opposition. 

About where I am, because of the entire collective lack of endeavour and general quality, it’s going to make some look worse than they are.  MacG is not exempt from criticism I agree but he’s not the problem is he let’s get real.
    Don't think anyone has suggested he is the problem. He's just one of many 
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    Hindsight is a wonderful thing now Davison has gone and scored a few at Swindon but he looked utterly out of his depth for us. I accept the argument that he still might have been better than Leko/Lee up top but perhaps Josh wanted to go and play football and not be 5th choice.

This may be a bit like Lapslie. He leaves, hits a purple patch and we wonder why we let him go. But it doesn't last and it seems he's found his level. 
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    Hindsight is a wonderful thing now Davison has gone and scored a few at Swindon but he looked utterly out of his depth for us. I accept the argument that he still might have been better than Leko/Lee up top but perhaps Josh wanted to go and play football and not be 5th choice.

This may be a bit like Lapslie. He leaves, hits a purple patch and we wonder why we let him go. But it doesn't last and it seems he's found his level. 
    In no way is Davison a long term solution but we still left ourselves short and probably left ourselves in a weaker position to negotiate with Chelsea over Burstow. 

Yes hindsight is wonderful but the club must have known that Stockley wasn't coming back anytime soon a Davison went a month ago.  He will have been gone at 6 weeks, possibly more, by the time we see Stockley. That's not hindsight. 
  • Options
    Interestingly, the attendance has been given as 14,029.

Maybe the powers that be at the club have realised that giving totally fictitious figures was becoming absurd.
    14,029 is a prime number. We always lose when the attendance is a prime number. If one more person had turned up, we would have got a draw at least.
  • Options
    9 points from relegation 
    16 from playoffs 
    laughable season really - back In September I stated that we had a awful transfer window and was laughed at 
    The 1.6 million got for burstow should be spent on players that want to play for the shirt.

drop mac for next game 

also our discipline is woeful it’s not always the referees. 

I hope Jacko is given the summer to rebuild we likely need another 10 points to be certain on league 1 football next year - very depressing. 

I do get it’s hard to motivate players that have nothing to play for. 
    Motivation should be through having pride and working for your money.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    You can change your House. 
    You can change your Job. 
    You can change your Car. 
    You can even change your Wife. 
    But you can't change your Football Team. 

It's all a bit embarrassing at the minute. 

As the Actress said to the Archbishop "Hang on in there". 
  • Options
    Nobody seems to be coming up with any credible reason why we played players out of position yesterday when we actually had fit players on the bench who actually play those positions ! Kanu & Burstow might be young but I know who I would fancy scoring more that Leko upfront.
    Famwoe might have had a couple of dodgy games lately ( imo not as bad as some claim ) but even playing badly he is better in a back 3 than Purrington. 
    Abject performance from our midfield ( dobson apart ) lee just runs in circles until he finds trouble, Gilby did nothing, Morgan the pick of the bunch the last few games but as I have said before if he is out standout player in midfield we are really in the shite.

God knows what JJ does on Tuesday but he needs to do something cos if he sticks to what he has been doing he will be gone before long I think. He is demonstrating a lack of nous by trying to stick with a system and players in it that are not delivering.

Hopefully he can turn it round but if he doesnt please can we just get a new manager and coaching team not drawn from our ever decreasing circle of ex players
  • Options
    Just about everything been said already. But I am puzzled re the sending off. From my vantage high in NU, could have sworn I saw Innis throw and connect with a punch. Yet he only got yellow. Have no inclination to watch Quest or highlights - has this been picked up at all or was I seeing things? 
    I was square on to that and yes he did I thought he as going to go. Taylor was fortunate too he should have been booked/sent off for clearly elbowing innis in the face in the opening minutes.
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    JamesSeed said:
    The Emergency Manager who is working with me today is a Swindon season ticket holder and he says he has been very impressed with Davison so far.
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    JamesSeed said:
    The Emergency Manager who is working with me today is a Swindon season ticket holder and he says he has been very impressed with Davison so far.
    Oh you know one of those? Can we have him? 
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    wmcf123 said:
    I know Davison isn’t great yet but it’s a nonsense that we let him go on loan.  

Also, unpopular opinion, but why did we re-sign Aneke for so much money, knowing that he’s likely to be regularly injured.  Surely there were better options from cash strapped clubs for less money ?
    No reason we couldn't have kept Davison and signed Aneke.  Surely the club could have made an educated guess that Stockley wouldn't be back any time soon and Chuks couldn't play 90 minutes 3 times a week.  Even if Washington was fit we would still be short. 
    Was Davison included in the U21 group otherwise we might have loaned him out so that we could bring another loanee in.
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:
    I am still numb after what I witnessed yesterday.Matthews pisses me off,each year,he waits until no one else comes in for him,before he signs.Well after yesterday,his performance was one of the worst I have ever seen from a Charlton player,I do not want him at this club.I will exempt certain players,Dobson,Morgan run themselves into the ground.Innes,defended well,and mostly played his passes well,although he looked shot at the end.A big shout for Burstow,this kid ran and ran for his team,even making one crunching tackle which his colleagues would probably have bottled out of.DJ,is not and never will be a wing back,he should be in the team attacking which is surely why we bought him.The best wing backs are full backs who like to get forward,(Kyle Walker,Andy Robertson  etc,)Off hand I cannot think of a winger who is a good wing back.I would rather Jason Pearce played instead of anyone else in that defence,at least you know you will have someone who plays for the shirt.Clare after a good few games has now been exposed,Lee.Gilbey Leko,just dont know what they are bringing to the team.I just hope we can somehow get another 10 points quickly and start to blood some of our youngsters,Give Deji,Kanu, a go see what they can do,can it be worse.

Mason for me was the only positive yesterday. He was really up for it, and his teammates should be embarrassed that it didn’t lift them. 
    Spot on,he chased and won a ball down the right late in the game,and then looked up,shook his head when no one was within 30 yards of him.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Obviously gutted about yesterdays dire performance. One thing I cannot understand how Mac in the 2nd half was pumping ball high up to the half way line, when we have a young CF with less than 10 first team apps to his name against a giant 6'5'' CB. Mason now on loan was our best player 2nd half, only people I would excuse from the game apart from Mason are Morgan, Dobson and Inness, rest could all be dropped! Perhaps keepers not getting much sleep with new arrival? But must have wholesale changes on Tuesday!
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    Yesterday was dreadful but I will still go on Tuesday and I expect it to be worse.
    I have always felt that suffering times like these legitimises celebrating the good times.
    Fair play...in the past I've felt exactly the same. But this time, I won't be schlepping across London on a Tuesday evening because its actually not worth it. 

I'll be back for the Sunderland game because at least there is a social element to a Saturday game that isn't there on a Tuesday night. 

At least yesterday's crowd declaration of 14,000 was reasonably truthful (I actually thought it was more than that). 
  • Options
    Obviously gutted about yesterdays dire performance. One thing I cannot understand how Mac in the 2nd half was pumping ball high up to the half way line, when we have a young CF with less than 10 first team apps to his name against a giant 6'5'' CB. Mason now on loan was our best player 2nd half, only people I would excuse from the game apart from Mason are Morgan, Dobson and Inness, rest could all be dropped! Perhaps keepers not getting much sleep with new arrival? But must have wholesale changes on Tuesday!
    When you mentioned 'new arrival' I thought we were getting a new keeper ! Elation short lived. 
  • Options
    One of the most inept Charlton perfomances I have seen at the Valley ... after a good opening 10 minutes. I watched Bromley FC on Tuesday - they lost to a better team (Stockport) but would have given Oxford a more of a game than we did. Tactics and team selection all wrong.
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    AndyG said:
    Nobody seems to be coming up with any credible reason why we played players out of position yesterday when we actually had fit players on the bench who actually play those positions ! Kanu & Burstow might be young but I know who I would fancy scoring more that Leko upfront.
    Famwoe might have had a couple of dodgy games lately ( imo not as bad as some claim ) but even playing badly he is better in a back 3 than Purrington. 
    Abject performance from our midfield ( dobson apart ) lee just runs in circles until he finds trouble, Gilby did nothing, Morgan the pick of the bunch the last few games but as I have said before if he is out standout player in midfield we are really in the shite.

God knows what JJ does on Tuesday but he needs to do something cos if he sticks to what he has been doing he will be gone before long I think. He is demonstrating a lack of nous by trying to stick with a system and players in it that are not delivering.

Hopefully he can turn it round but if he doesnt please can we just get a new manager and coaching team not drawn from our ever decreasing circle of ex players
    But what about Pearce!?
  • Options
    Chunes said:

Photo of Adam Matthews, showing opposition wingers inside 
    Post of the week 😂
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    Chunes said:
    JamesSeed said:
    Oh you know one of those? Can we have him? 
    Not this one, he is a bit of a nut.
  • Options
    edited February 2022

Over the last couple of games Jackson may have been trying players out of contract in different rolls to see if they have the flexibility to warrant a contract extension. 

Having said that he should’ve seen enough of them in training as Assistant and Manager to make that judgement. 

I’m not Purrington’s biggest fan but as soon as I saw the line up I couldn’t believe he’d been given the nod over Lavelle at least of the 3 CBs on the bench🤷‍♂️. 

I only saw the second half due to streaming issues but it was dire. We had some experienced players out there and leadership was non existent apart from probably Innis. 

Gilbey, Lee, Matthews, Purrington, McGillivray as Brownie said (although not naming names) should be be taking a long hard look at themselves in the mirror this morning and if they are all dropped they deserve it. Add in Clare who of course will be suspended due to his petulance.

• Options
    We had a 6 hour power cut yesterday so I wasn't able to watch the game live on Charlton TV. Come 5pm I congratulated myself on missing it. 

Just braced myself and watched the highlights. Leaving aside the goals, poor defending and goal-keeping, how many times this season have you seen other teams (including many we would regard us from much smaller clubs) seemingly pass around us at will? When we get the ball we often can't string two or three passes together before we give it away. It continues to mystify me how other clubs manage to recruit players who are so much better technically without the spending power Charlton appear to have. However, it's not just the quality that is depressing, it's the apparent lack of fight. I know we are short of strikers just now but they don't look capable of grinding out a draw or nicking a goal.

If TS decides to remove JJ and/or we have a large turnover of players during the summer, there is still a good chance the squad won't gel quickly enough in order to have a good season next time around.