Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Post-match Thread: Charlton Athletic vs Oxford United | Saturday 19th February 2022

Comments

• Options
    paulfox said:
    se9addick said:
    paulfox said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    wmcf123 said:
    I know Davison isn’t great yet but it’s a nonsense that we let him go on loan.  

Also, unpopular opinion, but why did we re-sign Aneke for so much money, knowing that he’s likely to be regularly injured.  Surely there were better options from cash strapped clubs for less money ?
    No reason we couldn't have kept Davison and signed Aneke.  Surely the club could have made an educated guess that Stockley wouldn't be back any time soon and Chuks couldn't play 90 minutes 3 times a week.  Even if Washington was fit we would still be short. 
    Chuks can't play 90 minutes 3 times a month. Or should I say season.
    Even if he could he’s still exceptionally average.
    Really? The number of minutes he can play is a massive issue, but his goals to minutes ratio is pretty good at this level.
    I appreciate your opinion, however IMO he is one of the most over rated footballers I’ve seen in Charlton shirt. 
    Surely that award could be given to various members of Dowie’s team - Faye, Traore, Jimmy Floyd et al !!!
  • Options
    paulfox said:
    se9addick said:
    paulfox said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    wmcf123 said:

Also, unpopular opinion, but why did we re-sign Aneke for so much money, knowing that he’s likely to be regularly injured.  Surely there were better options from cash strapped clubs for less money ?
    No reason we couldn't have kept Davison and signed Aneke.  Surely the club could have made an educated guess that Stockley wouldn't be back any time soon and Chuks couldn't play 90 minutes 3 times a week.  Even if Washington was fit we would still be short. 
    Really? The number of minutes he can play is a massive issue, but his goals to minutes ratio is pretty good at this level.
    I appreciate your opinion, however IMO he is one of the most over rated footballers I’ve seen in Charlton shirt. 
    Surely that award could be given to various members of Dowie’s team - Faye, Traore, Jimmy Floyd et al !!!
    Absolutely, I did say one of. I know a few on here think he’s great but that’s why we comment to give our own opinions , right or wrong.🤷🏻‍♂️
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    The reason why Charlton never kicked on from marginally missing out from the playoffs last season is simple.

Our two best midfielders Shinnie & Pratley were discriminated against for their age by a man arguably too old to be a rockstar.
    I don't know about older players being discriminated against but the club did say just before the season started that the transfer policy was going to be about youth & especially our youth.....so much so Elewere played most of the pre-season games & was being tee'd up to start League games, as well as bringing in Roddy's son to play left back. 
    And that was so successful we ended up with young Arter and Souare.  Absolute shambles.

Now I'll admit I thought Arter was a good signing and the Souare but be a gamble that could pay off. But I am not a professional scout/analyst/what ever Gallen's job description is this week.

Now who ever thought our squad was good enough in August has a lot to answer for.  If it was Roddy and or Adkins they have already paid the price so its all well and good.  The suspicion it wasn't scares me. 
    When I said the squad was poor because of poor recruitment,  even at the end of June and July I was rounded on by most on here. Now you are saying, " if anyone thought  this squad good enough  in August "....

Well, most seemed to .

Exactly, according to your own words above, you were saying the recruitment was poor long before the end of June, when there were still another 2 months to go.
    It was definitely a very poor start, but at that stage we had plenty of time to address the situation.
    The fact that we never did, could not not have been known in early June.
  • Options
    paulfox said:
    paulfox said:
    se9addick said:
    paulfox said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    wmcf123 said:

Absolutely, I did say one of. I know a few on here think he’s great but that’s why we comment to give our own opinions , right or wrong.🤷🏻‍♂️
    Fair point - I didn’t read your post properly and I agree with you

Actually, I think I will start a thread on most overrated players !!
  • Options
    I think it will be unhelpful if there is a question mark over Jacko. He needs to be told he has the Summer and how the squad develops needs to be down to him and his team along with the style they adopt. The business, both ins and outs needs to be done and dusted early and then we get our heads down and prepare. After that, we have to hope he is up to the job, but uncertainty and a lack of clarity and direction could be a disaster for us. 
  • Options
    I wish the dug out could throw towel in for games like yesterday. We played badly and we were out classed in every area player for player anyway. An awful awful team and its becoming more and more  apparent unfortunately we have another clown 🤡 owner.
  • Options
    paulfox said:
    paulfox said:
    se9addick said:
    paulfox said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    wmcf123 said:

Fair point - I didn’t read your post properly and I agree with you

Actually, I think I will start a thread on most overrated players !!
    Lol! That will get a lot of pages!!🤣
  • Options
    Jacko needs to be told football is a simple game, made difficult by fools.
    Play 4 at the back, play players where they are meant to be playing and keep it tight, with maybe 5 in midfield and one up front.
    If you do you give yourself a chance if your best 3 strikers are still out.
    Tbh it's basic stuff.
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    Play 4 at the back, play players where they are meant to be playing and keep it tight, with maybe 5 in midfield and one up front.
    Tbh it's basic stuff.
    Agreed. If your best strikers are out, you can't put players up front for the sake of it. Burstow is too easy to play against at this time and Leko is very individual so a front two of them two don't support each other. If you don't have the players to put there, you need to look what you have and come up with a formation around that.

You have to maybe look to set pieces so height is probably a key attribute. Pace is another. 
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    The reason why Charlton never kicked on from marginally missing out from the playoffs last season is simple.

Our two best midfielders Shinnie & Pratley were discriminated against for their age by a man arguably too old to be a rockstar.
    I don't know about older players being discriminated against but the club did say just before the season started that the transfer policy was going to be about youth & especially our youth.....so much so Elewere played most of the pre-season games & was being tee'd up to start League games, as well as bringing in Roddy's son to play left back. 
    And that was so successful we ended up with young Arter and Souare.  Absolute shambles.

Now I'll admit I thought Arter was a good signing and the Souare but be a gamble that could pay off. But I am not a professional scout/analyst/what ever Gallen's job description is this week.

Now who ever thought our squad was good enough in August has a lot to answer for.  If it was Roddy and or Adkins they have already paid the price so its all well and good.  The suspicion it wasn't scares me. 
    When I said the squad was poor because of poor recruitment,  even at the end of June and July I was rounded on by most on here. Now you are saying, " if anyone thought  this squad good enough  in August "....

Well, most seemed to .

If you quote it then "quote it" at least repeat the same thing...... 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    colthe3rd said:
    Croydon said:
    Those highlights are appalling. We were undone but one long ball so many times.

Craig at fault for at least two of those goals, maybe even 3 if you count his pass poor kick which led to their 3rd.
    I know it's trendy to knock him at the moment but this is nonsense.
    People are knocking him because certainly for the last 3 games he had been at fault for at least one of the goals each game.
    He's a mistake waiting to happen, the goal through his legs was very poor, he doesn't hold the ball just pushes it out a lot of the time which has resulted in at least two goals & won't even come for the ball in his 6 yard box. Awful keeper imo
  • Options
    One thing I would say about keepers. They often look better when they trust the defence. I wouldn't write him off as I think our defence always has a mistake in it and that will put more pressure on the keeper. I think his best games have been when we were defensively solid and not like the Keystone Cops which we seem to be now.
  • Options
    Tbh it's basic stuff.
    There is truth in this, the old Charlton sides we are used too particularly in div.2/3 we’re quite often not the most talented, but teamwork/ hard work and organisation made us better and has resulted in promotions. I wonder if this team has ever watched a game of ours with the likes of nelson, Robinson, Keith Jones etc. Playing, I’d love to see a kinsella outside the box shot, a stevie brown Wembley tackle,a Robbo/paddy Powell jinking run and cross, but we don’t see diddly from our current lot.I think a lot could be learnt about the least we as fans expect and realise we’re not asking for superstars, just good honest professionals to look forward to going to watch knowing win, lose or draw, they have given us something to clap them off the pitch for.
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:

Sandgaard has always said that we have a strong squad & a good spine etc. We've had neither in the short time that he's been at the club. I think you have every right to be scared.
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    Jacko Has to do what Chris Powell did. He needs stability at the club to entice the players we need to come here. We already have some good players and like Powell he probably has to be a bit ruthless too. Maybe Powell could do a bit of mentoring and consultancy. Not in terms of identifying players but talking through what needs doing. I think we forget how extreme it was and he did it early so the morale was built through the Summer.
  • Options
    Jacko Has to do what Chris Powell did. He needs stability at the club to entice the players we need to come here. We already have some good players and like Powell he probably has to be a bit ruthless too.
    Probably a lot ruthless Muttley!!
  • Options
    wmcf123 said:

Aneke scored 15 goals in his cameo appearances for us last season so not surprising we took a punt when he became available. what is surprising is the 3& a half year contract. No wonder he was so keen to return.
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    Yesterday was dreadful but I will still go on Tuesday and I expect it to be worse.
    I have always felt that suffering times like these legitimises celebrating the good times.
    lol.

What winds me up is when I hear commentators or pundits talking about Spurs "'low points" in a season or Arsenal going through a tough time.

At least the blue part of manchester can say they've been down here & are allowed a bit of glory......albeit that they didn't spend long in the 3rd tier.
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:
    AndyG said:
    Nobody seems to be coming up with any credible reason why we played players out of position yesterday when we actually had fit players on the bench who actually play those positions ! Kanu & Burstow might be young but I know who I would fancy scoring more that Leko upfront.
    Famwoe might have had a couple of dodgy games lately ( imo not as bad as some claim ) but even playing badly he is better in a back 3 than Purrington. 
    Abject performance from our midfield ( dobson apart ) lee just runs in circles until he finds trouble, Gilby did nothing, Morgan the pick of the bunch the last few games but as I have said before if he is out standout player in midfield we are really in the shite.

God knows what JJ does on Tuesday but he needs to do something cos if he sticks to what he has been doing he will be gone before long I think. He is demonstrating a lack of nous by trying to stick with a system and players in it that are not delivering.

Hopefully he can turn it round but if he doesnt please can we just get a new manager and coaching team not drawn from our ever decreasing circle of ex players
    But what about Pearce!?
    He'll have to get in line, Euell is next  :D
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:

Well, most seemed to .

Exactly, according to your own words above, you were saying the recruitment was poor long before the end of June, when there were still another 2 months to go.
    It was definitely a very poor start, but at that stage we had plenty of time to address the situation.
    The fact that we never did, could not not have been known in early June.
    I disagree. You start as you mean to go on. The inactivity in our transfer dealing was obvious & not ambiguous. The club said that we would be relying on youth & started pre season games with many of them playing. I believe our late forays into the market was purely down to our bad start & a knee jerk reaction by the club. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited February 2022
    I wish the dug out could throw towel in for games like yesterday. We played badly and we were out classed in every area player for player anyway. An awful awful team and its becoming more and more  apparent unfortunately we have another clown 🤡 owner.
    In American high school (possibly some college divisions too) football there’s a “mercy” rule if things are getting out of hand. We could have done with it after an hour yesterday!
  • Options
    If JJ got a contract contingent upon finishing X this season (with this shower) then that pressure is on him and rolls downhill, impacting the players and removes any circumspection in team selection if he’s looking over his shoulder as we find the level for this season (16th - 14th is about right imo).  His tone and body language are both markedly different from the early days of being caretaker and then appointed.  Either he is part of the problem or he has agreed an unsuitable contract and realised that behind the scenes, including recruitment, is a shit show.  He clearly doesn’t fancy either of the loanees, so what is Gallen doing?  All is not well in the structure and management of this club and Thomas has either ignored it or has NFI what he is doing.
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    In American high school (possibly some college divisions too) football there’s a “mercy” rule if things are getting out of hand. We could have done with it after an hour yesterday!
    Bloody yanks messing with our game  :D  So the record books would read Charlton Athletic 1 v Huddersfield Town 5. 
  • Options
    RoanRedNY said:
    If JJ got a contract contingent upon finishing X this season (with this shower) then that pressure is on him and rolls downhill, impacting the players and removes any circumspection in team selection if he’s looking over his shoulder as we find the level for this season (16th - 14th is about right imo).  His tone and body language are both markedly different from the early days of being caretaker and then appointed.  Either he is part of the problem or he has agreed an unsuitable contract and realised that behind the scenes, including recruitment, is a shit show.  He clearly doesn’t fancy either of the loanees, so what is Gallen doing?  All is not well in the structure and management of this club and Thomas has either ignored it or has NFI what he is doing.
    NFI is my guess.
  • Options
    What we were doing this weekend 21 years ago https://www.premierleague.com/match/3934

10th in the Premier league, and out of all of the clubs that have fallen on hard times from that Division, we are currently the lowest on the football ladder.
  • Options
    Pearce has to play, we have a goalkeeper who doesn't shout and two centre backs in Famewo and Lavelle who do the same. Starting Lavelle might be a risk considering the length of time he was out. If the two loanees are available I would start them. I wouldn't  drop Matthews but put him in the back three with Pearce and Famewo. I would give Campbell a start as well, he might do OK for 60 mins and replace him with Gilbey. Sadly a couple of the guilty from Saturday will have to start, Lee and Matthews spring to mind. 
  • Options
    Bailey said:
    Pearce has to play, we have a goalkeeper who doesn't shout and two centre backs in Famewo and Lavelle who do the same. Starting Lavelle might be a risk considering the length of time he was out. If the two loanees are available I would start them. I wouldn't  drop Matthews but put him in the back three with Pearce and Famewo. I would give Campbell a start as well, he might do OK for 60 mins and replace him with Gilbey. Sadly a couple of the guilty from Saturday will have to start, Lee and Matthews spring to mind. 
    Oh yeah and  a three nil loss and we will be asking should our calamity of a goalkeeper have done better with two of them. 
  • Options
    Jacko Has to do what Chris Powell did. He needs stability at the club to entice the players we need to come here. We already have some good players and like Powell he probably has to be a bit ruthless too. Maybe Powell could do a bit of mentoring and consultancy. Not in terms of identifying players but talking through what needs doing. I think we forget how extreme it was and he did it early so the morale was built through the Summer.
    Isn’t Powell working at Spurs? Unless you mean Paddy..
  • Options
    Be interested to know if the club created an obscure record yesterday for the most different number of players booked and sent off in a game.

We totalled 7. Can't believe we have had more than that on too many occasions. 
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    Be interested to know if the club created an obscure record yesterday for the most different number of players booked and sent off in a game.

We totalled 7. Can't believe we have had more than that on too many occasions. 
    We topped that in the battle of Boundary Park v Oldham  7/4/12 mate 6 yellows and 2 reds although one of the reds Wagstaff if I recall correctly was for two yellows. So ten cards waved at our players and surprise, surprise Trevor Kettle was the man in the middle 😏