Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Post-match Thread: Charlton Athletic vs Oxford United | Saturday 19th February 2022

Comments

• Options
    edited February 2022
    colthe3rd said:
    Croydon said:
    Those highlights are appalling. We were undone but one long ball so many times.

Craig at fault for at least two of those goals, maybe even 3 if you count his pass poor kick which led to their 3rd.
    I know it's trendy to knock him at the moment but this is nonsense.
    People are knocking him because certainly for the last 3 games he had been at fault for at least one of the goals each game.
  • Options
    I wonder if Jacko's philosophy of trying to win every game is an issue? with our horrendous injury list surely today was a match to be pragmatic, first not to lose the game, second hopefully nick a goal. If he used that mindset he surely wouldn't have started the game with that back three? As many posters have said having three centre backs on the bench seemed bizarre. I would have played Famewo instead of Purrington, because of his pace and strength, moved Clare into midfield and replaced him with Lavelle. In this formation would probably drop Morgan or Gilby to the bench.
    Matthews had a nightmare, so could have played Jayesemi over his side?
    Like many, left after about 80 minutes, which meant I could get home to Manchester an hour earlier than I normally do!
    Shocking performance bar the first 20 mins, but I'll be back down on Tuesday night to get behind the team again.
    And for those of you who keep on about this league as a pub league should reassess their opinion. I have seen some excellent teams and the quality of football (often by the opposition!) has been good. The over reliance of the Premiere League and to some extent the Championship on overseas players has meant that a lot of home grown players have ended up in League 1.
    Agree with you mate.

You would think in the circumstances shore up the defence etc aerial power play no nonsense percentage football hang on to the point you started with and hope to nick it, stop a good team from playing.   

We had similar situation with Adkins not moving away from his system of play and not applying stop the rot even if it ain't pretty.

TS wants open attacking football and playing out from the back, yea right if you've got the quality players to do it, we certainly haven't.

With the strange noises coming out from Jacko and then from the club like it's taboo for Manager/Chairmen not to be in private communication. It makes me wonder if there is a strict policy laid down from the top and breach it at your peril. Jackson's body language shouts something isn't right and not just missing the forward players.     

• Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Interesting comments from Karl Robinson: 

“I don't think Johnnie Jackson is the one who should be looking at himself."

"I think a lot of other things might need to change to make this a good club"

"[Jackson] has the nouse and the understanding. Now he maybe needs to be given the a bit more the reins to do what he needs to do. Maybe that may change." 

Obviously he’s going to defend his mate after a loss like that, but it certainly adds fuel to the fire when discussing how much TS (and Martin Sandgaard) are overly involved in things they fundamentally don’t understand. 

“They know that they’re going to be ultra-competitive.

“A lot of staff I brought in are still there so I know how good they are and how good Nigel (Adkins, Charlton boss) is.”

Robinson in August.  It seemed to be a recurring theme the opposition manager bigging up Nigel at the start of the season.  

Come on, there’s a monumental difference between a manager bigging up the opposition on game-week 2 and a manager pointing fingers at a clubs structure 32 games in. 

One’s good PR every manager will do after a victory, the other is completely different.
    No its not, everything Robinson, and every sensible person on here, is saying what Jackson needs and should have is exactly what Adkins needed and should have got last summer.

His own staff
    His own players
    The right to kick out the bad apples 
    100% say, not through committee

Adkins didn't get it.  He deserved the sack for his last 4 or 5 games but played the first 10 with one hand tied behind his back.  If it wasn't by the owner it was with someone with delegated authority. 

If Adkins was given what he needed in the summer we might not be blowing the league out the water but we wouldn't be looking over our shoulder at the the 4th, yes the 4th, division in March! 

You’ve just replaced the name Adkins with Jackson to make exactly the same point I’m making? 

Although, I don’t see what good hindsight is going to do here, we could go back to Adkins or even Bowyer to show that the problem is clearly a structural issue and not the manager.
  • Options
    colthe3rd said:
    Croydon said:

Craig at fault for at least two of those goals, maybe even 3 if you count his pass poor kick which led to their 3rd.
    The OTT criticism of him is getting ludicrous.
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    From the point we currently find ourselves, it’s hard for me at least to see reasons to be optimistic. Clearly this current group of players isn’t nearly good enough to get us out of this league and it’s not likely we’ll have enough resources to make the massive overhaul required to change that. Looks to me like we need to accept that even with luck and real commitment its going to take at least two / three seasons of slow build. Might be a race between who gets bored with it first. TS or the fans.
    Other than our fragile defence, I really do think our squad is good enough. The problem we have at the moment is that we have too many of our best players out injured hence the lack of goals right now. We need a rock solid defence next season and when that’s in place we will be good enough for a promotion push. Let’s be honest our defence is an utter shambles. I also agree with others on here that we need a player who is going take leadership on the pitch when things don’t go our way because a team wide capitulation after conceding a goal is absolutely unacceptable. 
  • Options
    New right back
    Lavelle
    Innis
    New left back

Fam/Pearce/Desi if 3 at the back
    2 new wing backs

Jfc back fit

We MIGHT have a side that can compete

It wouldn't get us promoted over 46 games though
  • Options
    4-0 down at home, down to ten men, so bring on a 17/18 year old for his debut. Really?
    He played well in the few minutes he was on beat his defender twice   and put in 2 crosses, better moments in the game for us.
    We were outclassed by a better team , sharper, pace, good football skills, well drilled confident. 
    Campbell made a great cameo debut  so well done to him. I'd bring him on sooner on Tuesday.
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    Well thanks for posting the highlights, that’s really got me back into a good mood.

goal 1 - decent ball, marker should have picked up their right winger, Big Mac got something on it would have been a great save, wasn’t.

goal 2 - sorry but although they shouldn’t have had a shot from there, keeper has to be embarrassed letting that through him, said same at huge time and at half time without seeing a replay and the replay doesn’t change my mind at all

goal 3/4 good goals. Shouldn’t be able to stride through like that but we were pushing up a bit. Both really good strikes. 

If only we had a striker who can ping it from the edge of the box, or even a midfielder who can, but we don’t. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    clive said:
    How is it possible that Mac didn’t lay a finger on any of those goalbound shots even they were coming from a long way out (3 and 4). Very poor keeper, we need to get rid.
    no.4 was a wonderful strike imo, would beat 100% of L1 goalies and a lot of those in higher leagues

• Options
    edited February 2022
    Well thanks for posting the highlights, that’s really got me back into a good mood.

goal 1 - decent ball, marker should have picked up their right winger, Big Mac got something on it would have been a great save, wasn’t.

goal 2 - sorry but although they shouldn’t have had a shot from there, keeper has to be embarrassed letting that through him, said same at huge time and at half time without seeing a replay and the replay doesn’t change my mind at all

goal 3/4 good goals. Shouldn’t be able to stride through like that but we were pushing up a bit. Both really good strikes. 

If only we had a sticker who can ping it from the edge of the box, or even a midfielder who can, but we don’t. 
    Wasn’t there so only seen the highlights. You say we were pushing up, but all I can see is us letting them run at us and standing off them until they have a pop. I can’t recall any oppo sides doing that for us all season. Add to the list of ailments - apart from Inniss, can anyone tackle?
  • Options
    The reason why Charlton never kicked on from marginally missing out from the playoffs last season is simple.

Our two best midfielders Shinnie & Pratley were discriminated against for their age by a man arguably too old to be a rockstar.
    I don't know about older players being discriminated against but the club did say just before the season started that the transfer policy was going to be about youth & especially our youth.....so much so Elewere played most of the pre-season games & was being tee'd up to start League games, as well as bringing in Roddy's son to play left back. 
    And that was so successful we ended up with young Arter and Souare.  Absolute shambles.

Now I'll admit I thought Arter was a good signing and the Souare but be a gamble that could pay off. But I am not a professional scout/analyst/what ever Gallen's job description is this week.

Now who ever thought our squad was good enough in August has a lot to answer for.  If it was Roddy and or Adkins they have already paid the price so its all well and good.  The suspicion it wasn't scares me. 
  • Options
    Just about everything been said already. But I am puzzled re the sending off. From my vantage high in NU, could have sworn I saw Innis throw and connect with a punch. Yet he only got yellow. Have no inclination to watch Quest or highlights - has this been picked up at all or was I seeing things? 
  • Options
    clive said:
    Each of the first three goals could of been avoided if challenges were made at 100% rather than 50%.  This lot don’t give a shit, in fact I’d go as far as to say maybe Clare showing naivety and frustration proves he’s about one of the only ones who does.
    Go back to Bolton at home and it was exactly the same and the same players doing it.  I think it was the third goal that 3 or 4 players made half hearted challenges. 
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    clive said:
    Each of the first three goals could of been avoided if challenges were made at 100% rather than 50%.  This lot don’t give a shit, in fact I’d go as far as to say maybe Clare showing naivety and frustration proves he’s about one of the only ones who does.
    Go back to Bolton at home and it was exactly the same and the same players doing it.  I think it was the third goal that 3 or 4 players made half hearted challenges. 
    Agreed, it’s as if the motivation for this lot is constantly on egg shells, they ran through walls in the wins against Plymouth and Ipswich.  
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    Hanlan, Kirk, Taylor, Grant, Davison, Williams all doing well elsewhere. 
    Watching Quest is thoroughly depressing. Watching other clubs doing well is depressing. Why them, not us  
    Finding solace in others doing badly though. Fulham lost. Yay! Man City lost. Palace lost. Yay. Schadenfreude is all we have at the moment.
  • Options
    clive said:
    I agree, Clare’s lack of confidence in recent games is probably a result of what he is seeing around him and so it was inevitable he was going to lose it and get sent off. JJ has stuck with him it seems as he is one of a few that really cares. 
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:
    Watching Quest is thoroughly depressing. Watching other clubs doing well is depressing. Why them, not us  
    Finding solace in others doing badly though. Fulham lost. Yay! Man City lost. Palace lost. Yay. Schadenfreude is all we have. 
    Williams has started 12 games this season.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    We started brightly, but the lack of a recognised striker was painfully evident

Now, I sit lower west stand on half way line - after about 20 mins Robinson gestured to one of the Oxford defenders - said defender then feigned injury - play stopped - most of the Oxford players went over to away dugout - this was without doubt part of their plan - Robinson changed formation - they then proceeded to rip us a new arsehole 

I could see it, as could the people around me - so if we could see it (their formation and approach change) the Jacko and the rest of the coaching staff will have seen it

So the question is - did he and the coaches know what to do to counter, but lacked the right players to change things - or did he and the coaches not know what to do ???

When the team sheet was announced I was aghast - no striker starting, but Burstow on the bench - Lavelle on the bench, but a makeshift defender starting

Utterly shocking performance today, and for the first time EVER I left early, indeed on 80 minutes 

Total rebuild needed in summer - but that is going to cost ££££’s - does TS have the desire to do that ??

0-4 at home to fucking Oxford Utd - I looked at our superb stadium during the game today, and felt so low - it and us fans deserve soooo much better

Love the guy, but I’m starting to understand TS apparent reticence in appointing Jacko full time - he has fudged it with a weird contract - looking at the games coming up, whilst we don’t know Jacko’s target, I cannot believe he is anywhere near the target

One positive was that the sausage roll I had at the ground today was pretty good
    you're absolutely right there - couldn't believe what ii was seeing - physio wasn't even called on to look at the player yet both teams all went for a drink and a tactics chat -0 the game then completely turned and we lost badly - not good
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    JamesSeed said:
    Finding solace in others doing badly though. Fulham lost. Yay! Man City lost. Palace lost. Yay. Schadenfreude is all we have. 
    Yup. 
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    colthe3rd said:
    Croydon said:

Second goal he should have saved, 4th goal was fairly central and he got nowhere near - I was right behind it in the covered end. His kick for the third didn't go anywhere near a red shirt. 

4th goal up for debate as it was hit with power, bur not sure the critique is nonsense?

Goal against Wimbledon was his fault, should have kept out the goal at Portsmouth, Wigan's second was shit keeping. Plenty more this season too, but that's just recently 
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    JamesSeed said:
    4 goals and 3 assists. But it is League 2 of course.
  • Options
    Apart from some less than solid goalkeeping, defenders are standing off and letting them shoot. It's so easy for them. Am not Mac's biggest fan, but he gets so little protection. The defenders are simply not making life difficult enough for the opposition. 

• Options
    Vincenzo said:
    Apart from some less than solid goalkeeping, defenders are standing off and letting them shoot. It's so easy for them. Am not Mac's biggest fan, but he gets so little protection. The defenders are simply not making life difficult enough for the opposition. 

About where I am, because of the entire collective lack of endeavour and general quality, it’s going to make some look worse than they are.  MacG is not exempt from criticism I agree but he’s not the problem is he let’s get real.
  • Options
    Vincenzo said:

Agreed, sometimes it’s easy to forget we actually have players whose actual job it is to be a defender on the pitch 
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    Chunes said:
    JamesSeed said:
    4 goals and 3 assists. But it is League 2 of course.
    I wasn’t even saying we’d be better off with those players, I was just saying how everything feels wrong at the moment, and that it’s sad when all you have to enjoy is other teams failures.

If you want to clutch at straws we won three on the spin, and then only lost narrowly to two in form clubs. Maybe yesterday was a blip, but for whatever reason it doesn’t feel like it. 
    As others have said, back to basics. Let’s play our players in their best positions. Let’s be more flexible with our formations. And let’s play with a bit of the spirit Burstow demonstrated yesterday. 
  • Options

I haven't (quite) given up on Jackson but he needs to get his best dark suit out of the wardrobe and wear it with a well-knotted a club tie on match days and look like thunder. He's no longer one of the lads and he needs to be brutal with this lot of spineless cowards and give them a bloody good bollocking. Only Dobson, Burstow and Famewo deserve to be considered for Tuesday. 

I understand the anger on here but there were there also some really inexplicable factors too:

• Oxford are a free-flow footballing side and we had no proven strikers so we needed to improvise and adapt to frustrate their game so we tried to play like Real Madrid under-11s and ran out of steam after 15 minutes.
    • What in God's name was Gilbey supposed to be doing and why did Jackson keep him on? - was he man-marking their play maker because if he was, he failed miserably - and that effeminate, Bolshoi ballet-style leap to allow their fourth goal will be etched on my consciousness like a greasy stain for a very long time. 
    • Mathews was one of our best players only a season or two ago but that was really, really bad- how many times will he let a winger cut inside him onto their stronger foot and shoot? 
    • Someone else used the phrase 'powder-puff' and that's exactly what we are - even our fouls are silly little trips not crunching body to body tackles- bossed, bullied and bashed up by Oxford United.  
    • Jackson has managed to fashion a team which is the complete opposite of him as a player. 

It gives me no pleasure to say it but it my opinion the football side was better under Roland's rule, particularly after he got bored and left Bowyer and Gallen to get on with it. 
    Spot on Grumpy.