Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Post-match Thread: Charlton Athletic vs Oxford United | Saturday 19th February 2022

Comments

• Options
    We all knew we were up against today .. but the first 20 mins was excellent and done great football , Oxford did not get out their half .. but when they did for their first attack they got a massive bit of luck the ball fell very kindly and 0–1 it was very harsh on us …
    Again we made errors leading up to the second , Matthews missed his tackle and the cross was completely missed by Purrington allowing Taylor a simple header …… 
    Again start of the second we had a few chances but .. again poor poor play from Leko who lost the ball to easy and did not get it back .. led to a fantastic goal …. And the 4th well you don’t stop them .

Positive Campbell looked lively and McG made 4 excellent saves .. one unbelievable 

JJ team selection was puzzling .. Purrington playing in the 3 when we had 3 centre backs on the bench … 
    and the ref lost control of the game .. there was a lot of silly yellows and the sending off well the ref missed Taylor who caused the melee because he was pretending to be injured .. the two worst tackles in the match on Morgan went unpunished 
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    se9addick said:
    J BLOCK said:
    This will get worse before it gets better. 
    Can’t get that much bloody worse tbf 
    How long have you supported Charlton ?
    30 odd years, we can’t have lost at home 4-0 in the third division too many times in that period? 
    I remember us getting beat 4-0 and absolutely played off the park by Brighton. I’m pretty sure they went on to win the league that season though. 
    Difference is, Oxford are fighting for playoffs. 
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    Jayajosh said:
    Anyone have any stats on Matthews, we never win when he plays and I’m really interested to know his playing record for us? Same team of old, start bright and look good and then give up after going a goal down. Lightweights throughout the whole team!
    Matthews couldn't even throw the ball to a Charlton player, let alone pass.
    He was utterly appalling.
  • Options
    Matthews has the shortest ‘long’ throw I’ve ever seen.
  • Options
    J BLOCK said:
    se9addick said:
    se9addick said:
    J BLOCK said:
    30 odd years, we can’t have lost at home 4-0 in the third division too many times in that period? 
    I remember us getting beat 4-0 and absolutely played off the park by Brighton. I’m pretty sure they went on to win the league that season though. 
    Difference is, Oxford are fighting for playoffs. 
    For sure mate, doesn’t make this better in the slightest.. Just shows how far off we are at the moment. 
  • Options
    edited February 2022

Sums up our lot!
  • Options
    J BLOCK said:
    Where are the Chelsea and Spurs lads?!?!? 
    One was on the bench & the other nowhere to be seen....probably because of the maximum 5 loanee rule.
  • Options
    4-0 down at home, down to ten men, so bring on a 17/18 year old for his debut. Really?
    My thoughts exactly when it happened. Felt sorry for the lad. 

Btw.....anyone know Jacko did after the whistle as he didnt come over to the fans in the Covered End. 

Gutless. 
  • Options
    Yes we have major injury problems up front which would massively affect any team or manager, but that doesn't excuse the defensive ineptitude.

In the last few weeks we've started shipping bad goals at an alarming rate, but we
    a) had a whole week to sort this out
    b) a full, indeed MASSIVE squad of defensive options, considering we had 3 CBs on the bench and Castillo didn't even make the 18 (never mind the likes of Gunter, Souare and Elewere)
    c) a full coaching team, with Skiv presumably settled in now

A perfect week to work on making us SOLID. Yet nothing changed. We still looked vulnerable down the flanks, we still looked vulnerable to a simple ball over the top, and we gave the ball away at the back when pressed by the opposition. Robinson clearly must have told Taylor to move to the right, leave Inniss marking nobody and instead target Purrington, who couldn't cope. 2 goals and it was effectively game over by half time

And then in the second half after the swap of Burstow for DJ - and I don't see what DJ did wrong to be subbed ahead of say Purrington and Matthews - we ended up with a flat back 4, with Clare and Inniss in a 2 at CB, making us even more vulnerable. Clare has been getting very tetchy in recent games, it was a matter of time before he did something stupid, but it was game over by then anyway

Nobody played well today. McG was at fault for the second goal, but made a couple of good late saves to stop it being embarrassing. Dobson was reasonable, Morgan tried hard but his set plays weren't very good today, Burstow put in a shift.

MOM to Tracey for organising the PSA testing.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Karl Robinson don't know his arse from his elbow, admittedly that was enough to sort us out today and to challenge in this pony pub league apparently.

Charlton on the other hand and anyone associated in running it, well I am running out of negatives, are an absolute fucking shambles. They have been for years now and as those Halcyon days of the Premiership fade with the years and relevance, I have no idea what the solution is.

I know I don't need more evidence but if Tuesday is a crock, then nothing but major surgery is needed.
  • Options
    Nobody looked interested, even the bench. Waste of an afternoon. Also our keeper is very suspect, 2 of the goals today he should have done better 
    Big Mac made 2 good saves at the end or it could have been 6-0. 
    2nd goal went underneath him and the 4th was a long range effort at a good height just off of centre. A decent keeper doesn't concede them 
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    Leuth said:
    As I said elsewhere, we need to go to a back four. I said 4-3-3 would be ideal; we have numerous players (Leko, CBT, DJ, Lee) who would LOVE to play wing forward. Unshackle our forward players. They're being made to look bad by their restrictions. I don't care if that formation makes us a bit looser; we couldn't be much looser than we were today. Of course, it would also require a midfield three that consists of Dobson, Morgan and someone who actually fucking does anything at all

4-3-3 didn't work brilliantly earlier in the season. I think we've just got to accept that it's the players not the system that's the problem.
    That was without Aneke as a focal point, or Fraser pulling strings. Worth another shot I reckon 
    You mean Adkins failed because the players weren't good enough? 
  • Options
    One of the most disheartening parts of today was that when Oxford scored their first they congratulated each other half arsed, like they knew it was only a matter of time, like they knew we weren’t worth celebrating that hard against, some of them hardly had sweat on their heads, the casual swagger of the way they decided to score when it suited them.

That’s how low we’ve sunk, I don’t remember it being this depressing, I know it’s s cliche to say this after each defeat, but 10//11 and 16/17 which are comparable by league position didn’t feel this pathetic or embarrassing.  I’m at a loss with this team, every part of the club from top to bottom feels wrong now, it’s going to have to be a hell of a summer to turn this around now. 

Back JJ, give him the tools he needs early doors and take a proper punt on him.
  • Options
    4-0 down at home, down to ten men, so bring on a 17/18 year old for his debut. Really?
    My thoughts exactly when it happened. Felt sorry for the lad. 

Btw.....anyone know Jacko did after the whistle as he didnt come over to the fans in the Covered End. 

Gutless. 
    He spent a lot of time hanging about in the middle of the pitch talking to our players and shaking hands with the Oxford players. I got the impression he was hoping the covered end would empty quickly.
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    Didn’t see the game but saw the result. Don’t know where to start if I’m honest. Every season is like Groundhog Day. Unbalanced squad, no fight or passion, poor recruitment (?) manager in crisis and under pressure. Criticism of hierarchy. Rinse and repeat. Something has to change and as I can’t work out which one should carry the can I think the best thing Sandgaard can do is sweep the lot away this summer. Tough on Johnnie but I genuinely think that we’ll be having this same discussion next season if we don’t draw a line under “this” Charlton and start with a clean slate. Depressing club to support at present.
    Great summary shoots and that was grim today we could have got an XI out of here and done better, couldn't understand their tactics when it was 3-0 with 35 minutes left and they spent the rest of the game just falling over.

However, i dont think Sandgaard will sweep and rebuild this side from top to bottom including the management team, this would take some investment and i really dont think he is ready and willing to do that.
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    se9addick said:
    J BLOCK said:
    The only one I can remember is vs Brighton in Theo Foleys last season which would be (cough) 1974. The best break we got was the ref only adding on three minutes at the end; if it had gone on much longer it could have got even more embarrassing. 

• Options
    Karl Robinson don't know his arse from his elbow, admittedly that was enough to sort us out today and to challenge in this pony pub league apparently.

Charlton on the other hand and anyone associated in running it, well I am running out of negatives, are an absolute fucking shambles. They have been for years now and as those Halcyon days of the Premiership fade with the years and relevance, I have no idea what the solution is.

I know I don't need more evidence but if Tuesday is a crock, then nothing but major surgery is needed.
    You don't get to manage over 600 games at only THREE clubs without being reasonably good
    Before his 41st birthday..... 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    From the point we currently find ourselves, it’s hard for me at least to see reasons to be optimistic. Clearly this current group of players isn’t nearly good enough to get us out of this league and it’s not likely we’ll have enough resources to make the massive overhaul required to change that. Looks to me like we need to accept that even with luck and real commitment its going to take at least two / three seasons of slow build. Might be a race between who gets bored with it first. TS or the fans.
  • Options
    Sorry for Purrington. Played as a back three with no protection.
    lets not forget first 20 minutes looked really good.
  • Options
    Amazed Oxford's odds were as much as 2.88 today, seemed a shoe in
  • Options
    I was given tickets for todays game to see Harlequins v Wasps for my birthday. Initially I was disappointed I wasn’t going to The Valley but it seems she picked the right game for me to watch based on what I’ve read here.
  • Options
    I wonder if Jacko's philosophy of trying to win every game is an issue? with our horrendous injury list surely today was a match to be pragmatic, first not to lose the game, second hopefully nick a goal. If he used that mindset he surely wouldn't have started the game with that back three? As many posters have said having three centre backs on the bench seemed bizarre. I would have played Famewo instead of Purrington, because of his pace and strength, moved Clare into midfield and replaced him with Lavelle. In this formation would probably drop Morgan or Gilby to the bench.
    Matthews had a nightmare, so could have played Jayesemi over his side?
    Like many, left after about 80 minutes, which meant I could get home to Manchester an hour earlier than I normally do!
    Shocking performance bar the first 20 mins, but I'll be back down on Tuesday night to get behind the team again.
    And for those of you who keep on about this league as a pub league should reassess their opinion. I have seen some excellent teams and the quality of football (often by the opposition!) has been good. The over reliance of the Premiere League and to some extent the Championship on overseas players has meant that a lot of home grown players have ended up in League 1.
  • Options

You don't get to manage over 600 games at only THREE clubs without being reasonably good
    He is backed at Oxford with a good budget. I only see the Charlton experience and tactics used to have my view on him which in my opinion was not good. I used to cringe at his prematch tactics interviews. He has managed a lot of games but not that many in the Championship, one season was it? His response to last season's play off defeat seemed a bit bizarre but he sure does love to talk.
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    Can’t believe this is the same manager who produced a performance against Sunderland away and we looked well set for a cracking “Do or Die” season. What the f@&k has gone wrong?
    This. Even more recently we won 3 games in a row. Keep saying it, but if your 3 strikers are out you’re fucked, even if you’re Klopp.
    If JJ had set the team up properly and kept it tight, we may have made a game of it.
    The players are average, but they are set up wrong and playing in the wrong positions.
    Agreed. We have to stop trying to attack our way out of these ruts. Bowyer  started doing it, Adkins did it, and now Jacko is doing it. No one wants to hear it, but the bottom line we have to start defending better and winning some points. If that means playing ugly football with men parked behind the ball and snatching a few goals from set pieces then so be it. Goals win you games but successful sides are always built on an ability to no t concede a lot of goals, and particularly not soft ones. Defensively we are a really soft touch right now and we shouldn’t be because players like Innis, Famewo, Dobson, Lavelle are not bad players. Even Matthews and Purrington are better than the absolute shite they put out today. We are so vulnerable to just a simple long ball and every time we lose it in the attacking third I fear there will be a shot in our goal following shortly after. 

I don’t know if it’s shape, where we’re setting the defensive line, personnel, when and how we’re using the press, or what, but something is not right at the back. 
    Good post. We need to get back to basics - our defence are easy prey, and even when we had a goal kick today, we invited pressure without ever looking good enough to keep control of the ball. And going forward, we alwsys need an extra touch in midfield,  meaning Leko and Jayesimi need to check back and lose momentum.