Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Post-match Thread: Charlton Athletic vs Oxford United | Saturday 19th February 2022

Comments

• Options
    The signs were there within seconds it was going to be a struggle today when Leko managed to even mess up knee taking...
    Exactly, how can Leko forget to take the knee?
  • Options
    A 7 hour round trip for that. 35 years supporting and truly disgusted today. No ideas, no quality but more importantly no heart.

Felt sorry for my two kids that I dragged along. 
  • Options
    Don’t care what formation we play….these players are not up to it. They don’t realise this is the biggest fan base they will play in front of and probably the best stadium they will play in except maybe for Burstow, who will play a higher standard. If they can’t step up then get rid of. Bought a Charlton TV season pass and don’t want to watch anymore. I applaud all of you that travel to games home and away. You all deserve better. 
  • Options
    The signs were there within seconds it was going to be a struggle today when Leko managed to even mess up knee taking...
    Exactly, how can Leko forget to take the knee?
    A number of this squad are not the brightest of sparks - Morgan, DJ, Leko. Compare them with the intelligent eloquence of Stockley, Washington and Lyle Taylor. Footballing intelligence also comes into it along with skill and fitness. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    The players are not very good, but set up totally wrong today, especially with 1 up front.
    No thought about keeping it tight.
    Clueless management.
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    Some on here actually rate Gilbey as one of the better midfielders in this division, he's wank
    Can I like this post 50 times? We saw one of the best midfielders in the division today, Brannagan. Compare Gilbey to that. Complete wank.
    With JFC and Fraser not available Gilbey is probably our best midfielder other than Dobson.  That's the real problem. 
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    Where was that sh*thousery when Robinson was with us?

We're a soft touch. No one in this team is capable of doing the sh*thousery that ultimately wins you games in this league. The quality of refereeing in League One means that (whether you like it or not) sh*thousery is a key ingredient for any team looking to win promotion. Players like Kermorgant and Taylor were so key, not just because of their quality, but because they were masters at getting in to the heads of the opposition (and referees) and shaking them up. 

Leko didn't have the best game today but bringing him off for Famewo whilst leaving Morgan, Gilbey and Lee on the pitch was criminal. Purrington didn't have the best of games but why was he one of the 3 CB's when we had three fit CB's on the bench?

Result wasn't great, obviously, but I'm more concerned by a number of questionable tactical decisions by Jackson today.
  • Options
    Jackson needs to have a look at himself. Yes we have injuries and yes he believes in his formation but the players have no confidence in it whilst our better players are out. It is 100% down to him to set us out to be competitive with what he has and he is failing miserably at the moment.

Wouldn't want to be sangaard right now. Where is the confidence that if he backs Jacko and gets the players he wants for this system that it will actually work and if it doesn't we waste another season. After the start we had under Jackson I felt we could push for the playoffs but the fact we are no where near and getting turned over by the teams who are near is worrying. A good manager doesn't just stick religiously to something that can't work with the players he has available and if the fans can see we have no chance then you can bet the players can as is painfully evident.
  • Options
    cafckev said:
    My son just rang me to say that in the 10 years he’s been going to Charlton, today was the first time he has ever left before that end of the game.
    He said it was so bad, he left with 15 minutes left!
    Hi dad
  • Options
    From the point we currently find ourselves, it’s hard for me at least to see reasons to be optimistic. Clearly this current group of players isn’t nearly good enough to get us out of this league and it’s not likely we’ll have enough resources to make the massive overhaul required to change that. Looks to me like we need to accept that even with luck and real commitment its going to take at least two / three seasons of slow build. Might be a race between who gets bored with it first. TS or the fans.
    You cannot slow build. Our yoof get picked off after 0-20 games. We lose £10M a season. It isn't possible.  Need to do a Wigan/Ipswich and go for it (easy for me to say I know as it is not my money).  

I fear Pope and Gomez go in the summer, we pocket significant sell on's; 70% or so stay with TS to cover losses and the rest is wasted by the recruitment team.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    J BLOCK said:
    This will get worse before it gets better. 
    This is what my golf instructor said about me at my first golf lesson, I fucked him off straight away.
  • Options
    When you are relying on Leko to score your goals you know the game is up.... without Stockley , Washington or Chuks we had no goal threat...... it was embarrassing....  don't know where the team go from here... fuck watching this shit again on Tuesday .. Dobson and Burstow only players with any credit
  • Options
    Can’t believe this is the same manager who produced a performance against Sunderland away and we looked well set for a cracking “Do or Die” season. What the f@&k has gone wrong?
    It was the "elation" of having one of our own manage the team after the shambolic Adkins era. Honeymoons generally don't last too long. We are closer to a divorce than we are to celebrating JJ's first anniversary as manager. I wouldn't be surprised if TS makes a change before the end of March if performances remain at this level.

JJ is a great guy but I really don't see anything that tells me he will take this club "all the way" to the promised land. And with all your forwards out injured playing against the most attacking team in the division he could have put eleven behind the ball and got a point. Instead, and inexplicably he ignored this obvious threat. 

Even with stockley and Aneke fit I still don't see us ever looking as dangerous as Oxford. And down here in the third division you really have to be banging them in. Macgillivray is looking very average in recent weeks also. What I'd give for a Dean Kiely at the back and Super Clive and Andy Hunt up top....

• Options
    Scoham said
    Watched with my dad at his house. Got in my car to drive home to hear “rip it up and start again” playing on the radio. Couldn’t be more appropriate.

On recruitment I know some have said keep the likes of Matthews, Inniss etc as cheap back up as it’ll be easier I think we could do with a complete rebuild. Without it we’ll likely see us continue to fail wither the same core group of players. I’d rather gamble that we can change the mentality than keep failing with the same group who will get worse the longer they’re kept on.

I’ve defended players like Gilbey but it’s laughable that some said he was a top player at this level.

Only positive was Campbell’s debut and even then he should have been earlier.

I put £10 on Oxford to win and it was paid out after 3-0. I’ll do the same for at least the next few games, it’s free money.

Where do we go from here? Missing three senior strikers makes a huge difference but regardless that performance is so far from where we need to be.

I don’t have confidence in Sandgaard, Gallen, Jackson etc to get it right in the summer. We can call for a CEO to come in but that only works with the right appointment, what makes anyone think TS would get that right?
    Actually it was Curbs who raved about Gilbey. I can see how difficult it must be to give 100% when there is nothing to play for. 

• Options
    colthe3rd said:
    Hang on wasn’t Sean Clare in the running for POTY a few weeks ago ? 

Some people slating him today have short memories. The guy cares. 
    Exactly. Usual massive overreaction to everything possible. Since Jacko came in he really has been one of the standout players, that said he has been put of form for the last couple of weeks. I'd have dropped him today especially when we have options sitting on the bench so that's all on Jacko imo.

The abuse he's been getting is well ott, as you say he's gone from being praised as a potential poty a few weeks back to some saying he should be sold. I even saw him being called a see you next Tuesday on the match thread which is completely out of order. 
    I called him a cnt, because getting that red card the way he did was an absolute disgrace. Coward's way out rather than staying on and fighting with your team mates. That action was the worst thing about today, he completely let his team mates down through a stupid act. I stand by the comment, it wrote the game off for us completely. 
  • Options
    timken said:
    Not inconceivable we could lose our next 3.mk dons,sheff we'd,sunderland .the we are back in a relegation scrap
    I would go as far as to say that this scenario is profoundly conceivable.
    I think we will pick up something against Sunderland. But we will get spanked against MK Dons and Sheff weds. 
  • Options
    Awful. Obviously there were issues up front that Jackson couldn't control but beyond that it was a line-up so ill-conceived Lee Bowyer would have vomited blood at the sight of it. I remember last season there was a lot of concern about Bowyer continuing to play Pratley at centre back even though Oshilaja was back from injury. He did leave him out a bit too long, but at least Oshilaja had proven repeatedly over the prior 18 months that he was an absolute madman at the wheel when played at CB. Here though, I have no idea what was going on. Purrington has never looked good at CB, Clare hasn't looked good there for a while and, most importantly, we had THREE centre backs on the bench. A back three of Lavelle, Pearce and Famewo genuinely would have been better than what we turned up with, and that's what we had sat down. DJ at LWB despite Purrington and Castillo being available is insane, Gilbey being off form and Nile sat on the bench and not even getting on is insane. Bringing Campbell on to make his debut at 4-0 down is insane.
    The worst thing is that this week I've been having some very dark thoughts about Jackson. He's one of my favourite ever players and I categorically don't want him sacked, but today was a sackable game. 4-0 loss and a red card against a team at the start of the season we would be looking to beat  as a yardstick for our progress, 5 players woefully out of position despite better options being available and seemingly no attempt to change the trash happening in front of him, it felt like the games we got in the last days of Pardew, Parkinson, Bowyer and Adkins. Add to that the fact Jackson decided to spend his time leading up to this match pissing and moaning about the contract he signed two months ago causing uncertainty, as if it forced him to play a right winger at LWB and I'm feeling pretty pissed off at the whole thing to be honest. Sure, things might have been better if we'd been able to pick Stockley, Washington, Aneke and Fraser but we couldn't and instead of making the best of it we made the absolute worst of it. Today we made Karl Robinson look like Pep Guardiola and Jackson made himself look like Lee Bowyer without the fangs. Jackson is now complaining about a lack of fight and reaction to setbacks from the players, but if you spend the week moaning about your job and then send the players out completely unequipped to handle what's in front of them you're going to get exactly what you deserve and we saw that today. Really tough games coming up and I have absolutely no belief that we'll do anything different. Bleak.

An excellent post. I cannot disagree. JJ really had a nightmare today. Even with star players out injured ~ the sign of a good team is one that can still pick up draws despite the setback. Good teams don't get hammered 0-4 at home. And as stated earlier, it should've been 6 or more.
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    Would love to know what this 'clear idea of what I want to do' is. 

Hopefully it's signing 25 players in the summer and changing your tactics completely. 
    His clear idea currently is to leave his centre halves on the bench & play midfielders or left backs in their place. Obviously learnt that trick from Bowyer.

And if the answer to your striker problem is to play Leko up front then you really haven't been watching the lad play over the past 2 years.