Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Post-match Thread: Charlton Athletic vs Oxford United | Saturday 19th February 2022

Comments

• Options
    Southbank said:
    Entertaining afternoon. Oxford played some good football but were let down by their playacting.

McGivilray made some good saves but the rest of the team in red looked like they were unfamiliar with the game and didn't look interested.

We go again on Tuesday. MK Dons must be looking forward to the game.
    McGillvray is a shit keeper who only 'stoppeth one in 3)
    He’s a good keeper without an organised defence and natural leader in front of him 
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    I posted the following on the match thread, but thought it was appropriate to share here too:

“Can’t remember ever being so disengaged when watching Charlton. I don’t realistically feel like we’ll go down this year, so the season is basically over. I’m not even getting angry at the shit goals we’re conceding. Its awful viewing. The quality of football is atrocious. It’s just so depressing while being all too familiar.
    My daughter was born in 2008. We’ve spent over half her life in league one. Every season of relative success has been a false dawn.
    I just can’t see what we might do this summer to move up out of this league and I’m even finding it difficult to envisage any end to this godawful period in our history.”

I wrote this at halftime. I’d stopped watching really, the game was just on in the background.
    Later, when Oxford scored their third, I just raised my eyebrows, tutted, and checked other scores around the country. Just wasn’t that bothered. There was no enjoyment to be had watching, so letting in a third was of minimal consequence. I actually switched over to watch Liverpool v Norwich as Norwich were winning 0-1. Almost inevitably, the Mickeys equalised pretty much immediately. I actually reacted more angrily to that than to the third goal against my own team. That truly saddens me.
  • Options
    Nobody looked interested, even the bench. Waste of an afternoon. Also our keeper is very suspect, 2 of the goals today he should have done better 
    Big Mac made 2 good saves at the end or it could have been 6-0. 
    I thought Mac had a good game - my MOTM. There were no other candidates tbf
    If a goalie lets one go straight through him, for you he has a good game!!
  • Options
    Our players don't look fit and don't look bothered - embarrassing to watch. Even the booing was half-hearted at the end.
  • Options
    AndyG said:
    Tuesday will be interesting 
    How do you pick a team up after that?
    Start with 2 central defenders
  • Options
    Southbank said:
    Entertaining afternoon. Oxford played some good football but were let down by their playacting.

McGivilray made some good saves but the rest of the team in red looked like they were unfamiliar with the game and didn't look interested.

He’s a good keeper without an organised defence and natural leader in front of him 
    Wbo barely knows how to catch a ball.
  • Options
    Wait, Gilbey was CAPTAIN?! Sack him. Sack him now 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    timken said:
    Not inconceivable we could lose our next 3.mk dons,sheff we'd,sunderland .the we are back in a relegation scrap
    I would go as far as to say that this scenario is profoundly conceivable.
    Those games aren't the problem
     It's when we cone to play Shrewsbury, Morecombe etc. They might be 6 pointers.
  • Options
    Our players don't look fit and don't look bothered - embarrassing to watch. Even the booing was half-hearted at the end.
    This, to me, is actually the biggest thing.  Now they are unfit.  They were unfit against Accrington and 4 days later were the fittest team in the world.

That is not fitness that's something else, isn't it? 
  • Options
    Zero sympathy for the management team ..we have squad that most managers would give their right arm for…you have had a full week of training in the knowledge that the strikers are out so plan for it..tactility inept 
    Really, give me some manager names and the players they wold like to take off us.
  • Options
    Southbank said:

McGillvray is like my vasectomy scar. I know its there but I'd rather it wasn't.
  • Options
    It's just such a poor offering at the moment. Pain in the crack freebies plus a properly shit team to watch. Classic combination.
  • Options
    paulfox said:
    I really want Jacko to go…. Because I’m fucking disgusted that this set of players are fucking over another manager for the third time, and this happens to be a fella they all got behind and is someone as a Charlton fan I don’t want to remember as a failure. It’s completely unfair, I know he has made some iffy selections but to get what we are seeing is abysmal.The striker situation is unfortunate, but also a convenient excuse for being shit. Is this bunch of letdowns actually unmanageable??? …. Because if the three blokes they are eventually going to have on there resume of getting the boot can’t all be shit managers/coaches. This season is fucking dogshit.
    Ffs! Over reaction of the year award!!!!
  • Options
    Watched Fulham earlier. Two sides in the Premier League at the same size once upon a time, and us arguably more successful.

How have we got into this mess?
  • Options
    cabbles said:
    Sorry, forgot Purrington.  He’s a West Country boy and Bristol Rovers feel that being closer to home can help him find form and reinvigorate his career where he turns in one okay performance every 6 or 7 games 
    What?
  • Options
    Today was embarrassing, but that line up and formation was so predictable we were never going to get anything out of it. Three CBs on the bench ffs and a midfielder on the pitch filling one of those roles! When we went 1-0 down it was game over as we had nothing on the bench who could make a difference. Don't want to blame JJ as we have no strike force but that was clueless today.
  • Options
    Don't fancy us on Tuesday or next Sat. Could get ugly in the away end at Hillsborough 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited February 2022
    Painful to say but genuinely think we are at the stage when anything except Leko playing up front is a bonus. He has shown nothing to believe he can play up front. Whatever happens between now and the end of the season Leko cannot play up front. Would prefer us to not play with a striker than Leko up top. Genuinely offers nothing. 
  • Options
    PWR
    I have been going now for near 50 years and that was right up there with one of the worst 
    Yes Oxford are a pretty decent outfit, but we made them look great.
    Iniss, Dobson, can hold their heads up. Morgan and Elliot looked like they cared. Clare I like, but I am sorry that was pathetic and stupid
    I will be there Tuesday let’s hope the plastic fans who were giving it after 2-0 give it a swerve. Lots around this club is depressing and toxic around this club right now
  • Options
    This will get worse before it gets better. 
  • Options
    J BLOCK said:
    Has the feel of one of those weeks coming up. Similar to when Hull beat us 6-0 and Huddesfield 5-0 in the same week. Just expecting to get the treatment in next couple
    of matches.
  • Options
    J BLOCK said:
    Can’t get that much bloody worse tbf 
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    The Valley isn't a football ground, it's a f***ing torture chamber.
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    J BLOCK said:
    Can’t get that much bloody worse tbf 
    How long have you supported Charlton ?
    30 odd years, we can’t have lost at home 4-0 in the third division too many times in that period? 
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    Today was a bad at the office, a very bad day at the office.

The printer ran out of toner, the broadband crashed and the server got taken out with ransom ware, I have no other comprehensible explanation.
  • Options
    injuries and/or poor selections are playing havoc with our performances .. until we are able to settle with a core selection cadre of 14/15 we are going NOwhere .. I've lost track of our current injury list .. anyone know the full extent ?