Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Post-match Thread: Charlton Athletic vs Oxford United | Saturday 19th February 2022

Comments

• Options
    AndyG said:
    Tuesday will be interesting 
    How do you pick a team up after that?
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    This was an interesting article in the Guardian last week.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2022/feb/18/west-ham-what-next-with-new-billionaire-daniel-kretinsky?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Other

The interesting quote is 

"Sullivan has become less involved in recruitment in recent years, but he loves working in football and it is understood that he will look to buy a smaller club if he sells West Ham. "

This is not working. And if recent reports about Sandgard's business are anything close to the truth then I think it is a way out for all concerned.  
  • Options
    Didn’t see the game but saw the result. Don’t know where to start if I’m honest. Every season is like Groundhog Day. Unbalanced squad, no fight or passion, poor recruitment (?) manager in crisis and under pressure. Criticism of hierarchy. Rinse and repeat. Something has to change and as I can’t work out which one should carry the can I think the best thing Sandgaard can do is sweep the lot away this summer. Tough on Johnnie but I genuinely think that we’ll be having this same discussion next season if we don’t draw a line under “this” Charlton and start with a clean slate. Depressing club to support at present.
  • Options
    Thought we would lose because of the players out situation, but disappointed it seems a clear cut 0-4 hammering at home.

Maybe the sensible thing was to play a back 5 with plenty of aerial power and play percentage football.  However things usually get worse before they get better and it is easy to suggest what should or could have been done in hindsight.   

Players will be judged overall for their display or lack of it and the reality is too many in this squad fall short. My hope is that JJ is also making his judgment of them in this extreme situation. Stand up and be counted or expect to be moved on.   
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    Gribbo said:
    A couple of years ago anything coming out of Robinson's mouth was looked at as bs. Now, all of a sudden, he's the oracle on football club management 
    Well, I think the majority of Charlton fans wouldn’t believe either of those statements. 

People aren’t binary, there’s a middle ground between “everything he says is bs” and “he’s an oracle”. It’s just an interesting quote from someone who is clearly privy to more information than you and I.
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    Jacksons post match interview is going to be fun. 

He looked ill this time last week. God knows how he'll look tonight. 
    Yup poor sod looks a broken man. This job is making him ill. 
    If I was him I’d step aside. He is a Charlton Legend, and should remain that way. He looks like he hasn’t slept for a few days.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Interesting comments from Karl Robinson: 

“I don't think Johnnie Jackson is the one who should be looking at himself."

"I think a lot of other things might need to change to make this a good club"

"[Jackson] has the nouse and the understanding. Now he maybe needs to be given the a bit more the reins to do what he needs to do. Maybe that may change." 

Obviously he’s going to defend his mate after a loss like that, but it certainly adds fuel to the fire when discussing how much TS (and Martin Sandgaard) are overly involved in things they fundamentally don’t understand. 

“They know that they’re going to be ultra-competitive.

“A lot of staff I brought in are still there so I know how good they are and how good Nigel (Adkins, Charlton boss) is.”

Robinson in August.  It seemed to be a recurring theme the opposition manager bigging up Nigel at the start of the season.  

• Options
    Thought we would lose because of the players out situation, but disappointed it seems a clear cut 0-4 hammering at home.

Maybe the sensible thing was to play a back 5 with plenty of aerial power and play percentage football.  However things usually get worse before they get better and it is easy to suggest what should or could have been done in hindsight.   

Players will be judged overall for their display or lack of it and the reality is too many in this squad fall short. My hope is that JJ is also making his judgment of them in this extreme situation. Stand up and be counted or expect to be moved on.   
    Well I don't think hindsight was necessary on this occasion. From 2-3pm there was a great deal of foresight on the team selection.
  • Options
    What happened. …

• Options
    Funnily enough that wasn’t our worst performance of the season by some way.

I’m not saying anything new here but the whole thing needs ripping up and starting again. Let all the out of contract players go and try to shift the duds like Jaiyesimi (probably won’t be possible as no one would want to pay a fee for any of them). Unfortunately the reality is we’ll keep the majority of players and make a couple of signings late in the summer window, and repeat. 
  • Options
    AndyG said:
    I’d just pick the names out of a hat. If Campbell ends up in goal then so be it.
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Interesting comments from Karl Robinson: 

“I don't think Johnnie Jackson is the one who should be looking at himself."

"I think a lot of other things might need to change to make this a good club"

"[Jackson] has the nouse and the understanding. Now he maybe needs to be given the a bit more the reins to do what he needs to do. Maybe that may change." 

Obviously he’s going to defend his mate after a loss like that, but it certainly adds fuel to the fire when discussing how much TS (and Martin Sandgaard) are overly involved in things they fundamentally don’t understand. 

“They know that they’re going to be ultra-competitive.

“A lot of staff I brought in are still there so I know how good they are and how good Nigel (Adkins, Charlton boss) is.”

Robinson in August.  It seemed to be a recurring theme the opposition manager bigging up Nigel at the start of the season.  

Come on, there’s a monumental difference between a manager bigging up the opposition on game-week 2 and a manager pointing fingers at a clubs structure 32 games in. 

One’s good PR every manager will do after a victory, the other is completely different.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Sorry, forgot Purrington.  He’s a West Country boy and Bristol Rovers feel that being closer to home can help him find form and reinvigorate his career where he turns in one okay performance every 6 or 7 games 
  • Options
    Not going to start blaming Jackson, not yet... But do have a little bit of doubt in my head after he moaned about his Contract and then we got the latest piece from the club in midweek - As a result the comments from Robinson equally make me question where they're really coming from again, especially after Johnnie's PR support prior to getting the role.

Think what has frustrated me a lot today, is the fact that we dont have Stockley or Aneke, yet for some blighted reason, we seem insistent on continuing to play as though they're there - I mean why are we trying to put cross, after cross into the box for both Lee and Leko?

Yes I know the former managed to score from his head against Wigan, but that was a well placed cross, not something whipped into the box with pace - Its just plain lazy from those involved!!
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    AndyG said:
    Quite easily I should imagine. Replace the player who looked like he didn’t want to be there, pick two players that are used to playing up front and scoring  goals, the level doesn’t matter, goalscoring is a confidence thing, and shore up the defence with a captain. Nothing wrong with the midfield if they don’t need to also shore up the gaps in front of them and behind them as well as playing their own game.
  • Options
    Entertaining afternoon. Oxford played some good football but were let down by their playacting.

McGivilray made some good saves but the rest of the team in red looked like they were unfamiliar with the game and didn't look interested.

We go again on Tuesday. MK Dons must be looking forward to the game.
    McGillvray is a shit keeper who only 'stoppeth one in 3)