Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Post-match Thread: Charlton Athletic vs Oxford United | Saturday 19th February 2022

Comments

• Options
    As if my day couldn't get worse, two people have now given my adult son DJ the worst player mark, even though, unlike pretty much all of them, he

- took on his man
    - got a couple of decent balls in
    - made several tackles and interceptions 
    - stopped a counter attack with some good violence
    - had a credible effort on goal 

Surely he was subbed to protect him from a red card. Can't think what else. Instead of being subbed, we should have changed formation and let him loose

• Options
    Heard from a reliable source that todays roster was designed by Martin Sandgaard. He also taught them all to shoot powerfully and he made them all special home made milkshakes to improve performance…
  • Options
    Bring in Curbs to help Jacko as he doesn't seem to know what to do!
  • Options
    Can’t believe this is the same manager who produced a performance against Sunderland away and we looked well set for a cracking “Do or Die” season. What the f@&k has gone wrong?
    This. Even more recently we won 3 games in a row. Keep saying it, but if your 3 strikers are out you’re fucked, even if you’re Klopp.
  • Options
    This will be fun.

Best spell of the game for us was the 20 minutes before they scored. Unfortunately there was no one up front to put the ball in the net. It would’ve been a different game.

As it is, the mental deficiencies in this squad were horribly exposed by Oxford.

That’s my contribution to this thread done. Have at it you lot.
    Do you truly believe it would’ve been different if Washington and Aneke/Stockley were fit? This good-for-20-minutes-until-the-opposition-figure-us-out thing has been happening all season long, regardless of who is fit. It happened just last match at Wigan and we did manage to score first there. 
    We would have lost 4-1 if they’d been available.
  • Options
    Not inconceivable we could lose our next 3.mk dons,sheff we'd,sunderland .the we are back in a relegation scrap
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    Jacko being a Baldrick before team selection! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AsXKS8Nyu8Q&ab_channel=Zymusss 
  • Options
    It’s ok - Tommy will grab the guitar and sing a song for JJ and all will be well in time for tea.
  • Options
    The fixture list is looking scary - I can't see us getting anything for a few weeks.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    A powder puff team who somehow contrive to have a shit disciplinary record.
    Hardly put in a challenge between 'em. Laughable.
  • Options
    I’ll promise you something, MK on Tuesday will be equally, if not worse than today. 

Jackson has talked about a reaction, we’re still waiting on one from Bolton away. 
  • Options
    I really want Jacko to go…. Because I’m fucking disgusted that this set of players are fucking over another manager for the third time, and this happens to be a fella they all got behind and is someone as a Charlton fan I don’t want to remember as a failure. It’s completely unfair, I know he has made some iffy selections but to get what we are seeing is abysmal.The striker situation is unfortunate, but also a convenient excuse for being shit. Is this bunch of letdowns actually unmanageable??? …. Because if the three blokes they are eventually going to have on there resume of getting the boot can’t all be shit managers/coaches. This season is fucking dogshit.
  • Options
    Can’t believe this is the same manager who produced a performance against Sunderland away and we looked well set for a cracking “Do or Die” season. What the f@&k has gone wrong?
    This. Even more recently we won 3 games in a row. Keep saying it, but if your 3 strikers are out you’re fucked, even if you’re Klopp.
    Defensively is the major issue, strikers or not, it is the worst I’ve ever seen from a Charlton game. 
  • Options
    timken said:
    Not inconceivable we could lose our next 3.mk dons,sheff we'd,sunderland .the we are back in a relegation scrap
    I would go as far as to say that this scenario is profoundly conceivable.
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    This will be fun.

Best spell of the game for us was the 20 minutes before they scored. Unfortunately there was no one up front to put the ball in the net. It would’ve been a different game.

As it is, the mental deficiencies in this squad were horribly exposed by Oxford.

That’s my contribution to this thread done. Have at it you lot.
    Do you truly believe it would’ve been different if Washington and Aneke/Stockley were fit? This good-for-20-minutes-until-the-opposition-figure-us-out thing has been happening all season long, regardless of who is fit. It happened just last match at Wigan and we did manage to score first there. 
    To answer your question, yes. Probably not different enough to win but certainly not a 4-0 battering.

I also think a bit of recency bias is at play with your assessment. We’ve usually started games poorly and it’s only Wigan and Oxford where we’ve had bright starts. Bolton, poor start. Wimbledon poor start. Fleetwood poor start. Cheltenham poor start. Even when we were winning games under Jacko, most of the goals we scored came in the second half.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited February 2022
    Watched with my dad at his house. Got in my car to drive home to hear “rip it up and start again” playing on the radio. Couldn’t be more appropriate.

On recruitment I know some have said keep the likes of Matthews, Inniss etc as cheap back up as it’ll be easier I think we could do with a complete rebuild. Without it we’ll likely see us continue to fail wither the same core group of players. I’d rather gamble that we can change the mentality than keep failing with the same group who will get worse the longer they’re kept on.

I’ve defended players like Gilbey but it’s laughable that some said he was a top player at this level.

Only positive was Campbell’s debut and even then he should have been earlier.

I put £10 on Oxford to win and it was paid out after 3-0. I’ll do the same for at least the next few games, it’s free money.

Where do we go from here? Missing three senior strikers makes a huge difference but regardless that performance is so far from where we need to be.

I don’t have confidence in Sandgaard, Gallen, Jackson etc to get it right in the summer. We can call for a CEO to come in but that only works with the right appointment, what makes anyone think TS would get that right?
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    Yes, but what happens is Oxford try to suss us out in the frst part of the match. That is normal for an away side and why we started reasonably brightly. Then they work out we are little threat so they become more and more adventurous and we lose a goal and there is no way back for us. How do we become a threat? Well we only have a small number of players who could be said know where the goal is, and you could argue about the full extent of some of those, and they are all out injured.
  • Options
    Jacko come in after Adkins and made the obvious changes that everyone, except Adkins, saw needed to be made. Now we're a few months down the line, there aren't any new ideas to freshen things up. Also looks like the players are still as uninspired and demotivated as they were under Adkins, to me
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    Leuth said:
    As if my day couldn't get worse, two people have now given my adult son DJ the worst player mark, even though, unlike pretty much all of them, he

- took on his man
    - got a couple of decent balls in
    - made several tackles and interceptions 
    - stopped a counter attack with some good violence
    - had a credible effort on goal 

Surely he was subbed to protect him from a red card. Can't think what else. Instead of being subbed, we should have changed formation and let him loose

People are angry and not able to separate the truly poor from the fine. DJ was in no way the worst player on the pitch - there are plenty of candidates for that title.
  • Options
    Was In two minds whether to go today but loyalty and madness made me come  even though it took 3 hours to get here.......that was grim. Couldnt understand oxfords persistent time wasting at 3-0 and rolling over feigning injury.

Taylor should have gone as well but did the stay down and look injured routine.

In saying that they deserved to win  we were just awful.
  • Options
    Been coming that sending off for weeks with Clare. Been a liability lately almost glad to see it. Been giving  us goals and stupid fouls away for weeks.