Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Post-match Thread: Charlton Athletic vs Oxford United | Saturday 19th February 2022

Comments

• Options
    Is TS son in charge of player recruitment, if so what is his qualification/ Pro game insight, or am I missing something?
  • Options
    Gribbo said:
    There’s an interesting overlap between people claiming this to be the worst group of players they’ve ever seen and still expecting the management team to be able to coach them into a good football team. 
    No matter what league a professional footballer plys their trade, they've basically studied the game and trained to play it, 5 days a week since they were mid teens, if not slightly earlier.

Most of these players don't look like they play for the Dog and Duck when you consider the effort / ability / tactical nouse on display most of the time. That for me, is why the players are bad.

And the management need questioning (imo) because the same players being given the nod week in week out, don't look any more motivated and / or improved today, than they did 12 months ago. 

THIS 
  • Options
    I feel for Jacko. 
    No quality in that side. 
    Relegation battle coming up - I hope we can find some balls before April. 
  • Options
    Awful. Obviously there were issues up front that Jackson couldn't control but beyond that it was a line-up so ill-conceived Lee Bowyer would have vomited blood at the sight of it. I remember last season there was a lot of concern about Bowyer continuing to play Pratley at centre back even though Oshilaja was back from injury. He did leave him out a bit too long, but at least Oshilaja had proven repeatedly over the prior 18 months that he was an absolute madman at the wheel when played at CB. Here though, I have no idea what was going on. Purrington has never looked good at CB, Clare hasn't looked good there for a while and, most importantly, we had THREE centre backs on the bench. A back three of Lavelle, Pearce and Famewo genuinely would have been better than what we turned up with, and that's what we had sat down. DJ at LWB despite Purrington and Castillo being available is insane, Gilbey being off form and Nile sat on the bench and not even getting on is insane. Bringing Campbell on to make his debut at 4-0 down is insane.
    The worst thing is that this week I've been having some very dark thoughts about Jackson. He's one of my favourite ever players and I categorically don't want him sacked, but today was a sackable game. 4-0 loss and a red card against a team at the start of the season we would be looking to beat  as a yardstick for our progress, 5 players woefully out of position despite better options being available and seemingly no attempt to change the trash happening in front of him, it felt like the games we got in the last days of Pardew, Parkinson, Bowyer and Adkins. Add to that the fact Jackson decided to spend his time leading up to this match pissing and moaning about the contract he signed two months ago causing uncertainty, as if it forced him to play a right winger at LWB and I'm feeling pretty pissed off at the whole thing to be honest. Sure, things might have been better if we'd been able to pick Stockley, Washington, Aneke and Fraser but we couldn't and instead of making the best of it we made the absolute worst of it. Today we made Karl Robinson look like Pep Guardiola and Jackson made himself look like Lee Bowyer without the fangs. Jackson is now complaining about a lack of fight and reaction to setbacks from the players, but if you spend the week moaning about your job and then send the players out completely unequipped to handle what's in front of them you're going to get exactly what you deserve and we saw that today. Really tough games coming up and I have absolutely no belief that we'll do anything different. Bleak.

Excellent post.

Sadly (and I say sadly because I desperately want JJ to succeed) it's hard to argue with what you say about the team selection.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Purrington and matthews were both outplayed and were just too slow. Gilbey as captain showed little leadership and innis would make a better captain. There was little cohesion after 20 minutes. Clare being sent off made things worse and Oxford played us off the park. If You have no strikers who can hold the ball this is what you get
  • Options
    Think I'll start going to watch Gillingham, I know they're rubbish too but at least I don't have to travel 30miles to watch it!
  • Options
    Can’t believe I gave blood for that performance.
  • Options
    Didnt see a stamp from Clare, just looked to lift Taylor by the neck - Taylor was no angel this afternoon though, got away with about three incidents before getting booked in that passage of play
  • Options
    Another clean sheet win!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Interesting comments from Karl Robinson: 

“I don't think Johnnie Jackson is the one who should be looking at himself."

"I think a lot of other things might need to change to make this a good club"

"[Jackson] has the nouse and the understanding. Now he maybe needs to be given the a bit more the reins to do what he needs to do. Maybe that may change." 

Obviously he’s going to defend his mate after a loss like that, but it certainly adds fuel to the fire when discussing how much TS (and Martin Sandgaard) are overly involved in things they fundamentally don’t understand. 
    How would he know anything  other than what Jackson feeds him though. Sadly don't think we'll ever know the true extent of what goes on behind the scenes 
  • Options
    Nobody looked interested, even the bench. Waste of an afternoon. Also our keeper is very suspect, 2 of the goals today he should have done better 
    Big Mac made 2 good saves at the end or it could have been 6-0. 
    I thought Mac had a good game - my MOTM. There were no other candidates tbf
  • Options
    I would forgive a few tactical mistakes if it looked like Jackson was trying something new and adventurous. 

It just looks like the same old rubbish. Other than a 3-5-2 does he actually have anything in his locker? 
  • Options
    Tuesday will be interesting 
  • Options
    I’ve said it before and will say it again. If Roland had done things like bring his son in to run elements of the club it would have been WW3 outside the Valley reception after the game.

Dont need to do that - how about we just sort out the shit all over the club and stop doing stupid things…
    I think it comes down to the fact that fans care about winning, and nothing but that

The way people are saying "Bye Jacko", and how Charlie Kirk got written off so quickly

Thats pretty much the Roland regime down to the bare basics - We got frustrated because of the high player and Manager turnover - If he had shown enough interest in Charlton, as Sandgaard does - I doubt many people would have cared about the rest.
  • Options
    Interestingly, the attendance has been given as 14,029.

Maybe the powers that be at the club have realised that giving totally fictitious figures was becoming absurd.
  • Options
    A shockingly bad performance. Everyone understands that we are missing our first choice forwards but doesn't excuse some of the performances, Mathews, Purrington, Gilbey, DJ, Morgan really need to ask themselves a few questions.