Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Post-match Thread: Charlton Athletic vs Oxford United | Saturday 19th February 2022

Comments

• Options
    seth plum said:
    Yesterday was dreadful but I will still go on Tuesday and I expect it to be worse.
    I have always felt that suffering times like these legitimises celebrating the good times.
    Agree, but the ratio as a Charlton fan seems a bit off!  
  • Options
    paulg1947 said:
    The last time that we were promoted out of this third tier was with Chris Powell- With a defense minded formation -1-0 wins were the norm and draws away Not pretty but progress never the less. Can we learn something from this Powell  era?-- I spoke over the fence briefly to Carl Jensen after a Melbourne City match, 2 nights ago ( on loan from Notts Forest) He asked are you a Charlton supporter? Best team in London.i said. Oh i don't know about that ,he replied .After this performance, I have my doubts now.
    I would like to erase 2020 & 2021 from my memory but not 2019.
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:
    Hanlan, Kirk, Taylor, Grant, Davison, Williams all doing well elsewhere. 
    Watching Quest is thoroughly depressing. Watching other clubs doing well is depressing. Why them, not us  
    Finding solace in others doing badly though. Fulham lost. Yay! Man City lost. Palace lost. Yay. Schadenfreude is all we have at the moment.
    It’s not watching ex players on the Quest hi light show that gets me it’s the way other teams pass, open up defensives, score goals from outside the box and excite. And I am talking about from the Championship down to League Two.

Its like we are playing another game. 
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    I Think Robinson and Jacko will be close and what Robinson has told us, if we care to listen, is that the problems at this club are not Jacko's doing which I never thought they would be.  I can't be sure but if you have somebody who doesn't know anything about the game who thinks they do in a position of power, you are more likely to get cock up after cock up. I'm not saying I know everything about the game, but I am not in a position to do any damage. We need a good CEO. Money is clearly being spent but possibly without any real strategy to it.
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    JamesSeed said:
    Watching Quest is thoroughly depressing. Watching other clubs doing well is depressing. Why them, not us  
    Finding solace in others doing badly though. Fulham lost. Yay! Man City lost. Palace lost. Yay. Schadenfreude is all we have. 
    Williams has started 12 games this season.
    4 goals and 3 assists. But it is League 2 of course.
    Swindon would beat us.
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    seth plum said:
    Yesterday was dreadful but I will still go on Tuesday and I expect it to be worse.
    I have always felt that suffering times like these legitimises celebrating the good times.
    Agree, but the ratio as a Charlton fan seems a bit off!  
    Yeah. I reckon for most people suffering outweighs the good times.
    Luton Town fans have suffered majorly in the past so their present joy has every right to be unconfined.
    Perhaps that is what makes a lot of people gravitate towards big and successful clubs. Avoiding suffering comes before other considerations like local loyalty for example.
    My experience of football and life is it is mainly suffering.
  • Options
    We actually started okay knocking the ball around and looking fairly confident for 15mins or so, but without really creating anything. Oxford looked like they were expecting an early flurry from us and sat back. Once they realised it wasn't coming they took control and started ruthlessly dismantling our "defence". At 1 nil it was all over as we were never going to score! The reaction after the 2nd was the most telling thing. Not one player geeing them up. Heads down, hands on hips, players fucking around with their socks, rearranging themselves etc. Absolutely disgracefully, we have no guts in this side. And three centre halves on the bench with one in the 1st 11? Piss off Jackson. Getting fed up with it all now. Will probably go on Tuesday though haha!
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    I will be there Tuesday but like today I have no belief that we will get anything from the game - it’s illogical to keep going if u just go to watch a winning team but being logical isn’t what be a football supporter is about - it’s mainly about meeting up with friends and family, enduring big chunks of crap with the odd good spell no and then - I’m sure things will pick up once the injured are back but yesterday was a real low - there have been many lower points though, even if not by league position / status. Maybe I’m mad but I’m expecting a promotion push next year still 
  • Options
    One of Richard Cawley’s articles on LondonNewsOnline website is titled ‘Players need to show me they want to be here next season’ – Charlton boss Johnnie Jackson reacts to Oxford loss.

With the exception of George Dobson I don’t want any of the other players to be at the club next season. God help us if the majority are still here next season.
  • Options
    We need to be in this division next season which is not a certainty by any means.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    wmcf123 said:
    I know Davison isn’t great yet but it’s a nonsense that we let him go on loan.  

Also, unpopular opinion, but why did we re-sign Aneke for so much money, knowing that he’s likely to be regularly injured.  Surely there were better options from cash strapped clubs for less money ?
    No reason we couldn't have kept Davison and signed Aneke.  Surely the club could have made an educated guess that Stockley wouldn't be back any time soon and Chuks couldn't play 90 minutes 3 times a week.  Even if Washington was fit we would still be short. 
    Chuks can't play 90 minutes 3 times a month. Or should I say season.
  • Options
    Just prior to their third, I noted Inniss electing to stay up field as the ball was returned to Mac. 

It made sense as a decent kick could put us on the attack - and we were chasing the game.  In the event it was a poor kick, it went unchallenged and 12 seconds later, MacGillivray was digging the ball outta the net.  

Had Stockley been playing there would have been a challenge and it wouldn't have happened  Equally had Mac's kick reached Inniss it wouldn't have happened.

In the final analysis I think we are a mess. 

• Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    wmcf123 said:

Also, unpopular opinion, but why did we re-sign Aneke for so much money, knowing that he’s likely to be regularly injured.  Surely there were better options from cash strapped clubs for less money ?
    No reason we couldn't have kept Davison and signed Aneke.  Surely the club could have made an educated guess that Stockley wouldn't be back any time soon and Chuks couldn't play 90 minutes 3 times a week.  Even if Washington was fit we would still be short. 
    Even if he could he’s still exceptionally average.
  • Options
    paulfox said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    wmcf123 said:

Really? The number of minutes he can play is a massive issue, but his goals to minutes ratio is pretty good at this level.
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    paulfox said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    wmcf123 said:

Really? The number of minutes he can play is a massive issue, but his goals to minutes ratio is pretty good at this level.
    I appreciate your opinion, however IMO he is one of the most over rated footballers I’ve seen in Charlton shirt. 
  • Options
    paulfox said:
    se9addick said:
    paulfox said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    wmcf123 said:

I appreciate your opinion, however IMO he is one of the most over rated footballers I’ve seen in Charlton shirt. 
    Fair enough 
  • Options
    I Think Robinson and Jacko will be close and what Robinson has told us, if we care to listen, is that the problems at this club are not Jacko's doing which I never thought they would be.  I can't be sure but if you have somebody who doesn't know anything about the game who thinks they do in a position of power, you are more likely to get cock up after cock up. I'm not saying I know everything about the game, but I am not in a position to do any damage. We need a good CEO. Money is clearly being spent but possibly without any real strategy to it.
    Charlton's squad is large and probably near the top end of the pay scale in this division but there are still major deficiencies in the squad. Our best centre back rarely completes a season, his replacement is 35 years old. Out of the three first choice forwards, one we know can't manage two games a week, the other is thirty years of age and if he refused a contract this year it's hard to see him going upwards a division and upwards in earnings. Stockley has been restricted due to a freak injury. The wing backs have been altered since Jacko played this system which tells you something about his confidence in those picked in that position. Of the three in midfield only Dobson has been consistent and we can only hope Fraser produces the goods when fit, Gilbey, Morgan and maybe Foster Caskey, if he recovers fitness and gets a contract, have not produced consistent form over the season and yes I know Forster Caskey hasn't played. At one time I would have said five players to replace and galvanise the squad, at this point I think it's more likely to be ten.  
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    se9addick said:
    se9addick said:
    J BLOCK said:
    This will get worse before it gets better. 
    Can’t get that much bloody worse tbf 
    How long have you supported Charlton ?
    30 odd years, we can’t have lost at home 4-0 in the third division too many times in that period? 
    I remember us getting beat 4-0 and absolutely played off the park by Brighton. I’m pretty sure they went on to win the league that season though. 
    12th January 1974 I remember it quite well.
    A bloke called Ronnie Howell scored a hat trick.
    Brighton were also mid tableish, certainly weren't a promotion contender.
    https://www.11v11.com/teams/charlton-athletic/tab/opposingTeams/opposition/Brighton and Hove Albion/
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ron_Howell_(footballer,_born_1949)
    http://www.swindonfc1879.com/WhereAreTheyNowDetail.asp?PersonID=HOWELLRO
    "Clough took over in the November and Ron did his best to impress by netting a hat-trick in a 4-0 away win at Charlton just after Christmas. But after 27 League appearances for Albion he found himself excluded from the team sheet and, on daring to question that decision, was told “Young man, take the wife and kids and go for a long walk down the pier !” But Ron’s journey took him instead to Tooting".
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Can’t believe this is the same manager who produced a performance against Sunderland away and we looked well set for a cracking “Do or Die” season. What the f@&k has gone wrong?
    This. Even more recently we won 3 games in a row. Keep saying it, but if your 3 strikers are out you’re fucked, even if you’re Klopp.
    If JJ had set the team up properly and kept it tight, we may have made a game of it.
    The players are average, but they are set up wrong and playing in the wrong positions.
    Agreed. We have to stop trying to attack our way out of these ruts. Bowyer  started doing it, Adkins did it, and now Jacko is doing it. No one wants to hear it, but the bottom line we have to start defending better and winning some points. If that means playing ugly football with men parked behind the ball and snatching a few goals from set pieces then so be it. Goals win you games but successful sides are always built on an ability to not concede a lot of goals, and particularly not soft ones. Defensively we are a really soft touch right now and we shouldn’t be because players like Innis, Famewo, Dobson, Lavelle are not bad players. Even Matthews and Purrington are better than the absolute shite they put out today. We are so vulnerable to just a simple long ball and every time we lose it in the attacking third I fear there will be a shot on our goal following shortly after. 

I don’t know if it’s shape, where we’re setting the defensive line, personnel, when and how we’re using the press, or what, but something is not right at the back. 
    It's the formation and playing players out of position in that formation.
    The players then lose confidence and it gets worse.
    The same loss of confidence led to the spiral under Adkins.
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    Gilbey's touch is so poor. He's like Carl Tiler with an engine. No quality.
    It’s weird I thought he started to look a player a couple of months ago, I think it was the Ipswich game, he scored to cap off the game. He was really good that game but since he’s been poor. But in general as a team the Jekyll and Hyde nature of all of the players, except Dobson within reason is something I can’t understand, is it just a case of that’s why these players are playing in league one?. But in over instances it’s not unknown for league one level players to step up to championship players comfortably. I’m very confused and disappointed by Charlton as a whole at the moment.
  • Options
    Just about everything been said already. But I am puzzled re the sending off. From my vantage high in NU, could have sworn I saw Innis throw and connect with a punch. Yet he only got yellow. Have no inclination to watch Quest or highlights - has this been picked up at all or was I seeing things? 
    They preferred to talk about Oxford, probably unsurprisingly, followed by a bit about Joey Beauchamp.
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:
    Finding solace in others doing badly though. Fulham lost. Yay! Man City lost. Palace lost. Yay. Schadenfreude is all we have at the moment.
    It’s not watching ex players on the Quest hi light show that gets me it’s the way other teams pass, open up defensives, score goals from outside the box and excite. And I am talking about from the Championship down to League Two.

Its like we are playing another game. 
    Agreed, although we’re watching the highlights on Quest which tends to exaggerate the quality of the football being played. What worries me watching matches live is how other teams don’t seem to make as many mistakes as we do. We can have a good spell of possession but they keep us at bay, and when we do get crosses in they defend them well. 
    Hopefully Fraser might be our missing link, but knowing our luck he’ll get long covid. 
    Can’t decide about Tuesday. Haven’t missed a home match for some time, and don’t want to miss one of those unexpected wins, but it might be a painful night. 
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    cabbles said:
    Simonsen said:
    Leuth said:
    Wait, Gilbey was CAPTAIN?! Sack him. Sack him now 
    Yes. Hid superbly in the 1st half. 
    Captain Pointer.  All this bloke does is point, runs that don’t go anywhere and the occasional tweet bigging up his other mediocre team mates.  

Genuinely baffles me how he’s gotten such a good rep among a lot of the fans.  

2 goals this season.  2.  One of those was in the Papa John’s.  Imo, he’s a big part of the problem because he’s considered one of the ‘better’ players.  It’s why we’re in this mess.  These are our ‘better’ players.  

Got another year of him to put up with as well 
    The problem is the other teams have players who ate better than ours .
    Our players are disgraceful, they chew with their mouths open.
  • Options
    The only decent thing all day that showed one iota of credibility was the announcement of the crowd being somewhat in the region of believability...

Clutching at straws here.
  • Options
    colthe3rd said:
    Croydon said:
    Those highlights are appalling. We were undone but one long ball so many times.

Craig at fault for at least two of those goals, maybe even 3 if you count his pass poor kick which led to their 3rd.
    I know it's trendy to knock him at the moment but this is nonsense.
    People are knocking him because certainly for the last 3 games he had been at fault for at least one of the goals each game.
    His crap form started as soon as his partner gave birth to their child.
    Utterly predictable.