Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Oscar for best fight AT the Oscars goes to.......

Comments

• Options
    Apparently Jada Smith has alopecia, so maybe Chris Rock could have been a bit more sensitive? Though Will does laugh at the "joke" initially.    
    Looks like he's tried the Ricky Gervais approach, but completely misjudged it.

Most people would accept family members are out of bounds, especially if they're suffering with an affliction like alopecia. As soon as the camera paned round, it was obvious she looked really embarrassed and it's obviously a very sensitive subject.
  • Options
    Round 2 this Saturday at Makro’s Car Park (2pm) 
  • Options
    Just a thought, what if one of the protagonist had  been Caucasian.
  • Options
    I’ve suffered from Alopecia, it’s grim. Not sure id go about slapping people over such a shit joke about it tho. 
    It was an unfunny joke and an OTT reaction. Jada could have handled it without Will Smith's dumb reaction.
    Think it's nature of the beast in some people and thresholds of acceptable "jokes" differ too.

She might have been suffering severe anxiety leading up to the awards due to her condition, and they might've had a drama getting out the door to go, so it was quite raw. 

Best way to avoid this kind scenario imo is to not take the piss out of people's relatives. 
  • Options
    last night was hollywood in a nutshell - totally self absorbed, self congratulatory and absurd but we all can't look away and can't stop talking about it. Incredible.
  • Options
    Gribbo said:
    I’ve suffered from Alopecia, it’s grim. Not sure id go about slapping people over such a shit joke about it tho. 
    It was an unfunny joke and an OTT reaction. Jada could have handled it without Will Smith's dumb reaction.
    Think it's nature of the beast in some people and thresholds of acceptable "jokes" differ too.

She might have been suffering severe anxiety leading up to the awards due to her condition, and they might've had a drama getting out the door to go, so it was quite raw. 

Best way to avoid this kind scenario imo is to not take the piss out of people's relatives. 
    This.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited March 2022
    Chunes said:
    Of all the things you could stage... Why would it be a joke about someone suffering from a disease, followed by violence, followed by clear rage and swearing, bringing the whole ceremony down a notch. It was cringeworthy.

There are a lot of writers working in this business, they wouldn't be coming up with that. 

Will Smith has enjoyed a somewhat wholesome image for a lot of his career, been in a lot of family movies, arguably the biggest movie star in the world. He's not looking very wholesome at the moment. Gains very little from this. And don't tell me he needed the PR.

Probably wont get so many cuckhold jokes now I guess! 😯
  • Options
    edited March 2022
    Maybe I’ve seen too many fights at family occasions because I’m finding the outrage to this quite incredible.

Guy takes the piss out of a man’s wife, said man slaps him & tells him not to do it again. Guy says ok.

🤷‍♀️
    One of the most famous men in the world slaps a comedian live on stage at a very high profile event.

I get your point (and personally I agree) but it's the haves and the have-nots isn't it, when famous people do this stuff it's always going to get a reaction. 
  • Options
    100% staged. You could see Chris Rock brace beforehand.

All a lead up to the acceptance speech, nothing more.

If you think it was real then give your head a wobble.
    Normally very sceptical about this sort of thing, but the whole thing looked pretty genuine to me. Can see Rock leant slightly forward before he got slapped, but that could be for any number of reasons. The minute or so after it happened, with Smith shouting and swearing seemed too genuine 
  • Options
    In these enlightened times it should all have been handled in a far more 'inclusive' way.  Instead of Will getting up on stage and slapping him, she should have.   
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Gribbo said:

Normally very sceptical about this sort of thing, but the whole thing looked pretty genuine to me. Can see Rock leant slightly forward before he got slapped, but that could be for any number of reasons. The minute or so after it happened, with Smith shouting and swearing seemed too genuine 
    Leans in and winces before it happens. Not the actions of a man that doesn't know it's coming.

As I said, the perfect storm to lead in to the emotional acceptance speech.
  • Options
    Gribbo said:

If it was all fake then he should get an Oscar for that!

Waitaminute
  • Options
    edited March 2022
    I bet James Corden is fuming now that he didn't lamp Ricky Gervais when he made the joke about "a fat pussy" after Cordern's role in Cats. 😉
  • Options
    Gribbo said:

Leans in and winces before it happens. Not the actions of a man that doesn't know it's coming.

As I said, the perfect storm to lead in to the emotional acceptance speech.
    I’d get it if it were some towie Z lister, but Will Smith does not need a publicity boost particularly one like this.
  • Options
    Why would Chris Rock lean in and wince before the obviously staged slap?

The slap itself was pathetic. The entire action of the slap is so unnatural. Straight out of stage school. Blatantly choreographed.

Perfect lead in to the speech and the message from god to love people and all that b*llocks.

It's fine if you think it was genuine. I'm not buying it at all.
  • Options

The slap itself was pathetic. The entire action of the slap is so unnatural. Straight out of stage school. Blatantly choreographed.

Perfect lead in to the speech and the message from god to love people and all that b*llocks.

He was standing like that before he even walked up. Don't know what you mean. How do you act when you don't know you're about to be slapped? 
  • Options
    Looks real to me, but this is Hollywood so who knows. 

I can't stand Chris Rock.  I wish Smith had knocked him sparko 
  • Options
    edited March 2022
    Chunes said:

He was standing like that before he even walked up. Don't know what you mean. How do you act when you don't know you're about to be slapped? 
    Not like this (the entire action is so staged it's laughable):