Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Oscar for best fight AT the Oscars goes to.......

1234568»

Comments

• Options
    By all accounts Rock is going to make an absolute mint out of this if these reports about his upcoming live shows are anything to go by;

"One live event ticketing site, TickPick, said on Monday that it sold more tickets the previous night than it did in the past month combined.

A spokesperson also told CBS that prices for an upcoming Rock show on Wednesday in Boston rose from $46 (£35.16) to $411 (£314).

More than half of all ticket sales for Rock's tour - which went on sale a month ago - came after the incident at the Oscars. The vast majority - 88% - of ticket sales for Rock's shows on the website over the last week came after the incident."

Not going to question the validity of the whole thing but at the minimum, Rock and the the Oscars themselves have certainly appeared to benefit a great deal from the situation. 

Please explain why any artist will benefit from ticket sales on secondary ticket sites. 

If I sell the official ticket I have bought, for an inflated price on secondary site, it is I that benefit the artist gets nothing, because the official sale took place beforehand. 
    Why let reality get in the way of a good story?
  • Options
    edited March 2022
    Chunes said:
    WSS said:
    The people saying it's staged. Why?

Who/what does it benefit?
    We're all talking about it arent we.

Its the Oscars, they've not exactly been as popular as they have been, so easy way to get some attention back

But why would this widely popular personality tarnish his public image to promote the Oscars
    Is there such a thing as bad publicity for these people?

Thought Jim Carrey spoke well about it in a random interview that I found on YouTube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cd9qrDtXq0E
  • Options
    rananegra said:
    How is an open marriage deviant? Open relationships would have been the norm for most of human evolution, until the various gods came along and told us it was all wrong. Even the Bible is full of Hebrew patriarchs having it away outside their marriage. It says that that their relationship is strong enough to recognise that no one person can ever fulfil all another's needs. And far better than sneaking around having affairs behind each other's back. 

I was wondering which way VoT would go on this, given his previous statements: pro Chris Rock because he was punching down, or pro Will Smith because he was behaving in a typical patriarchal way. Turns out neither of them are traditionally conservative enough  :/
    Our conscience tells us adultery is wrong. 

You brought the Bible into it Ran ~ King David ".... Has it away outside his marriage" (to use your terminology) and pays a heavy price and also repents with arguably the greatest prayer of repentance there ever was. He doesn't celebrate "having it away outside his marriage".  Far.from it. Having sex outside our marriage vows harms everyone including our bodies and, in the case of King David (you brought up the Bible) the next generation too! 

Grim all round..
  • Options
    thenewbie said:

Well he's back and up to his usual nonsense again... 
    Quick!  there's someone that doesn't do leftist groupthink ~ let's shut him down with "troll"! 

Newbie ~ it's old and worn out that one. Noone pays any attention to "troll" anymore. 
  • Options
    rananegra said:
    How is an open marriage deviant? Open relationships would have been the norm for most of human evolution, until the various gods came along and told us it was all wrong. Even the Bible is full of Hebrew patriarchs having it away outside their marriage. It says that that their relationship is strong enough to recognise that no one person can ever fulfil all another's needs. And far better than sneaking around having affairs behind each other's back. 

I was wondering which way VoT would go on this, given his previous statements: pro Chris Rock because he was punching down, or pro Will Smith because he was behaving in a typical patriarchal way. Turns out neither of them are traditionally conservative enough  :/

You brought the Bible into it Ran ~ King David ".... Has it away outside his marriage" (to use your terminology) and pays a heavy price and also repents with arguably the greatest prayer of repentance there ever was. He doesn't celebrate "having it away outside his marriage".  Far.from it. Having sex outside our marriage vows harms everyone including our bodies and, in the case of King David (you brought up the Bible) the next generation too! 

Grim all round..
    Added the bold here,  as though I'm not married I get that it is important in a relationship for it to be based on trust and vows to each other can be part of that. If people trust each other to sleep with people outside their couple, that's up to them and the other people involved - it's their vows to each other. Does it always work? No, but the same can be said (with bells on) for monogamous marriage. I know a few people who do this, the difference between an open relationship and having a secret affair is quite big.  I'd tend to agree that having sex outside a monogamous relationship, in secret, without your partner freely consenting, is harmful. But I'm coming from a position of consenting adults treating each other like equals, and if people have agreed to an open relationship, it's not adultery  (your term not mine).

• Options
    edited March 2022
    Chunes said:
    WSS said:
    The people saying it's staged. Why?

Who/what does it benefit?
    We're all talking about it arent we.

Its the Oscars, they've not exactly been as popular as they have been, so easy way to get some attention back

But why would this widely popular personality tarnish his public image to promote the Oscars
    Is there such a thing as bad publicity for these people?

Thought Jim Carrey spoke well about it in a random interview that I found on YouTube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cd9qrDtXq0E
    Yes. There is if you have a carefully managed image that affords you certain opportunities, for example in the family entertainment segment.

Will Smith doesn't need publicity, he's Will Smith! He's arguably the biggest movie star in the world. He only has to step outside of his house and he's papped. 

The guy could phone up any talk show, say he wants to come on, and they'd have him on the next day, probably with a ratings boost. He's that popular. 

It's not like he's Katie Price, desperate to stay in the limelight. He's at the pinnacle of his career. He's just won his Oscar. And he decides tonight would be the night to tarnish his reputation with an act of violence in front of millions of people... Humiliating a much-loved and legendary comic... for publicity he doesn't need?
  • Options
    edited March 2022
    I have been thinking about this and suspect that Chris Rock is telling the truth when he says he didn't know about Will Smith's wife's alopecia. So this is possibly down to a misunderstanding. Will Smith thought he did when in reality he made a joke, good or bad about his wife's hair style. As a comedian, it was what he was paid to do.

Now, it would have been perfectly reasonable for Will Smith to have it out with him afterwards behind the scenes. I probably would if I believed he was making a joke about such an upsetting subject. But to make such a gesture on stage on an occasion where he took the gloss off not just his award but everybody elses was completely out of order. And I note he has apologised for it. For me, he deserves censure of some kind. Maybe being banned from any future Oscar ceremony. 

As Chris Rock has said he was unaware of the condition, he deserves no criticism or censure at all.
  • Options
    I'm not too bothered about the Will Smith v Chris Rock thing. They're both grown men, either they'll sort it out between themselves somehow or they won't. I'm sure that one way or another they'll both come through it. 

What I am fed up with is the prissy, handwringing hypocrisy of those in Hollywood and the media bemoaning one man (or possibly two, depending how you view it) temporarily acting out of order. This is an industry built on the use of violence as entertainment. 90% of feature films contain violent acts, including those aimed at kids. And the average violent act in a feature film comes just two minutes after the previous violent act. Two minutes. So, stop lecturing the world on how awful violence is when practically the whole of Tinseltown earns its living from it.
  • Options
    I feel like you're missing the difference between how you treat people in the real world and the fantasy and escapism film offers.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I have been thinking about this and suspect that Chris Rock is telling the truth when he says he didn't know about Will Smith's wife's alopecia. So this is possibly down to a misunderstanding. Will Smith thought he did when in reality he made a joke, good or bad about his wife's hair style. As a comedian, it was what he was paid to do.

Now, it would have been perfectly reasonable for Will Smith to have it out with him afterwards behind the scenes. I probably would if I believed he was making a joke about such an upsetting subject. But to make such a gesture on stage on an occasion where he took the gloss off not just his award but everybody elses was completely out of order. And I note he has apologised for it. For me, he deserves censure of some kind. Maybe being banned from any future Oscar ceremony. 

As Chris Rock has said he was unaware of the condition, he deserves no criticism or censure at all.
    To be honest if Chris Rock was aware of Jada’s condition then he’s a dick, if he was unaware then he should still be criticised for a truly terrible joke. GI Jane? It’s 2022 for goodness sake, that film’s about a quarter of a century old, are we still using that as a “funny” reference point for women with short hair?

I think he’s lucky he got slapped, it distracts from a truly dreadful joke!
  • Options

Well he must be telling the truth then…….

On a serious note I think Rock is as funny as a fart in an elevator. I think he was trying to be edgy like Ricky Gervais and fucked up. Apparently when the jokes were approved by the organisers, that one was conveniently left out and then dropped in at the last minute.

If the guy had made a comment about my wife’s appearance I would have lost my shit. Then again I’m not a famous movie star about to receive my first Oscar so that’s not to say there weren’t better ways for Smith to deal with it, naturally.

Gervais’ genius is that he seems to find a way and a delivery to land the jokes in the right way.

Rock tried to be the same, shit the bed, and when someone calls him up on it starts babbling and trying to say sorry on stage. Comedy can be done without taking the piss out of people’s medical conditions. It’s common knowledge that she started losing her hair and I’m not even up with the ‘Hollywood scene’.
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    I feel like you're missing the difference between how you treat people in the real world and the fantasy and escapism film offers.
    I'm missing nothing. I'm shining a light on the hypocrisy of the situation.
  • Options

On a serious note I think Rock is as funny as a fart in an elevator. I think he was trying to be edgy like Ricky Gervais and fucked up. Apparently when the jokes were approved by the organisers, that one was conveniently left out and then dropped in at the last minute.

If the guy had made a comment about my wife’s appearance I would have lost my shit. Then again I’m not a famous movie star about to receive my first Oscar so that’s not to say there weren’t better ways for Smith to deal with it, naturally.

Gervais’ genius is that he seems to find a way and a delivery to land the jokes in the right way.

Rock tried to be the same, shit the bed, and when someone calls him up on it starts babbling and trying to say sorry on stage. Comedy can be done without taking the piss out of people’s medical conditions. It’s common knowledge that she started losing her hair and I’m not even up with the ‘Hollywood scene’.
    ask Mel Gibson... 
  • Options

He puts a lot of effort into his work.

When it's good material, it is clear he has put his heart and soul into it.

He treats it like the art form that it is.

When James Corden joked about Harvey Weinstein - it was rather dull and lazy. It was David Brent trying to do stand up.

It was cringe, because he put hardly any genuine thoughtful effort into it and an arrogant thought process.

• Options
    Not sure Jim Carrey can say anything seeing as he sexually assaulted Alicia Silverstone on stage at an awards ceremony 
  • Options
    Stig said:
    I'm not too bothered about the Will Smith v Chris Rock thing. They're both grown men, either they'll sort it out between themselves somehow or they won't. I'm sure that one way or another they'll both come through it. 

What I am fed up with is the prissy, handwringing hypocrisy of those in Hollywood and the media bemoaning one man (or possibly two, depending how you view it) temporarily acting out of order. This is an industry built on the use of violence as entertainment. 90% of feature films contain violent acts, including those aimed at kids. And the average violent act in a feature film comes just two minutes after the previous violent act. Two minutes. So, stop lecturing the world on how awful violence is when practically the whole of Tinseltown earns its living from it.
    Good post this one. 
  • Options

Yes I would agree. Your comment on Gervais' comedy genius. And how he lands the jokes to great effect.

From the sublime to the utterly ridiculous ~ 

Someone suggested Chris Rock is the greatest presenter in  Oscars history yesterday on TV!! 

• Options
    rananegra said:
    rananegra said:

Grim all round..
    Added the bold here,  as though I'm not married I get that it is important in a relationship for it to be based on trust and vows to each other can be part of that. If people trust each other to sleep with people outside their couple, that's up to them and the other people involved - it's their vows to each other. Does it always work? No, but the same can be said (with bells on) for monogamous marriage. I know a few people who do this, the difference between an open relationship and having a secret affair is quite big.  I'd tend to agree that having sex outside a monogamous relationship, in secret, without your partner freely consenting, is harmful. But I'm coming from a position of consenting adults treating each other like equals, and if people have agreed to an open relationship, it's not adultery  (your term not mine).

Marriage IS by definition "monogamous". If it is anything else it clearly isn't marriage. Let's call it what it actually is.  

You are certainly right in saying sexual relationships behind your spouse's back without their prior knowledge or agreement is harmful. Betrayal is very harmful. But to believe that open relationships ~ because both parties agree in principal to live adulterous lives with any number of partners ISNT harmful is really wishful thinking. We think we can "have our cake and eat it" but we really can't. There is always a price to pay. I've no time for Buddhism but its founder got one thing right ~ man can never separate "pleasure" from suffering. They go together. Always. 
  • Options
    edited March 2022
    Reckon Rock did know about her alopecia and that was the whole point of the joke and why he immediately said after the joke "that was a nice one, okay". Surely he would have followed it up with that if it was just about her deciding to shave her head
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    https://youtu.be/gMANSGO8e6E

Yesterdays news is still funny